• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Be Color Brave, not Color Blind": Starbucks Racial Sensitivity Training Exit Interviews

Greedings

Is there any way to fuck up the implicit bias tests deliberately?
I took one once for a job, and I just responded to each question after counting 1-Mississippi-2-Mississippi-3 before selecting the response.

I just feel if they’re going to waste my time with pseudoscientific bullshit, I’ll waste their time by screwing with the data.

TarNaru33

Banned
So not only is Starbucks pushing the dangerous conviction that color-blindness is a bad thing.

Just going to respond to this part... Color-blindness is not a possible standard to be trying to push since humans are tribal. It is also not a dangerous conviction to believe that color-blindness isn't really a thing. It is the same as expecting people to adhere to abstinence, sure some people can actually do this, but can the majority as a standard? So far it hasn't, so I am going to go with no until proven otherwise.

Color-blindness is not a possible standard to be trying to push since humans are tribal.

If people are tribalistic, then I'd consider making them less tribalistic, rather than more, the better option.

It is also not a dangerous conviction to believe that color-blindness isn't really a thing. It is the same as expecting people to adhere to abstinence, sure some people can actually do this, but can the majority as a standard?

So far it has worked wonders in most pluralistic modern democracies, even in America. Racism is not a thing of the past, but it's in steady decline even in the U.S., considering the fact that you just voted a black president into office, twice. Black enrollment in colleges and universities has doubled since 1994 (even though it has somewhat stalled for elite universities for reasons unknown) :

Nh1dZOt.jpg

Anti-discrimination laws have contributed to a steady decline in most discriminatory rental and housing practices since 2000:

2aLHHjh.png

Black unemployment is at an all-time low since 1972:

r4huXmk.jpg

The income of black households has a steady upward trend since the Nixon era:

Black-Income-from-Nixon-to-Obama.jpg

Interracial crime rates and racial victimization is in decline too:

mtrJEVT.png

Now I'm not saying that it's all hunky dory for black people in America, inequalities still persist, but don't tell me that color-blind legislation and awareness hasn't worked. If anything your tribalistic rhetoric is water on the mills of those you tout to campaign against, as evidenced by Steven Pinker:

I personally think that this dangerous development was abetted by some of Trump’s worst enemies on the left, who agreed that American society is a hellhole of inequality, racism, and violence. Not only did they abet his narrative of deterioration, but they left large sectors of the electorate indifferent to the choice between Clinton and Trump, encouraging many young voters to stay at home on Election Day and hand the election to Trump.

So far it hasn't, so I am going to go with no until proven otherwise.

So despite the compelling evidence that I've presented in this and my previous reply, you're still clinging to the assumption that color-blindness is somehow bad? Then please, present your evidence to back up that claim because so far I've seen none. Show me one evidence where color-blind regulation has not lead to a decline in racial disparities and made things actually worse.

There is a big difference between discussing the particular shortfalls of color-blindness and outright making the claim that color-blindness as a whole is detrimental to racial equality.

Last edited:

TarNaru33

Banned
If people are tribalistic, then I'd consider making them less tribalistic, rather than more, the better option.

No one is arguing for this, not even those who argue color-blindness as being a bad standard. However, you can't ignore that this IS human nature, and the best way to counter it is to acknowledge it and the effect it has on your particular group.

So far it has worked wonders in most pluralistic modern democracies, even in America. Racism is not a thing of the past, but it's in steady decline even in the U.S., considering the fact that you just voted a black president into office, twice. Black enrollment in colleges and universities has doubled since 1994 (even though it has somewhat stalled for elite universities for reasons unknown) :

Interracial crime rates and racial victimization is in decline too:
Now I'm not saying that it's all hunky dory for black people in America, inequalities still persist, but don't tell me that color-blind legislation and awareness hasn't worked. If anything your tribalistic rhetoric is water on the mills of those you tout to campaign against, as evidenced by Steven Pinker:

So despite the compelling evidence that I've presented in this and my previous reply, you're still clinging to the assumption that color-blindness is somehow bad? Then please, present your evidence to back up that claim because so far I've seen none. Show me one evidence where color-blind regulation has not lead to a decline in racial disparities and made things actually worse.

There is a big difference between discussing the particular shortfalls of color-blindness and outright making the claim that color-blindness as a whole is detrimental to racial equality.

Most of what you posted doesn't back up color-blind legislation or policy as the single reason for that, that is what I am saying.

Also, I never made this claim to the bold. Color-blind legislation can help, I never said it didn't or couldn't, but it can't be the only method employed as many I see advocating for it believe. While color-blindness helped, its not the only or main reason at all why things are getting better for minorities. People have became more aware of their identity is to them and what it means for them and for others. A lot of the people actually pushing for progressive legislation to deal with this came to acknowledge the privilege they hold and try to aide others in getting an advantage they they weren't born with.

When you have the average majority living close to or even better than the upper minority, it shows weakness in the policy of color-blindness.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Most of what you posted doesn't back up color-blind legislation or policy as the single reason for that, that is what I am saying.

Considering that these downward trends can be traced back to the 80s/90s, long before identity politics was even a thing, I'd say yes, this is evidence that color-blindness is working. I have yet to see you posting some evidence that can state otherwise.

No one is arguing for this, not even those who argue color-blindness as being a bad standard.

Starbucks is making that claim, go read their training document. Also, could we go back to my original claim that the Starbucks document is based on fraudulent claims? Because that was my initial statement.

Last edited:

TarNaru33

Banned
Considering that these downward trends can be traced back to the 80s/90s, long before identity politics was even a thing, I'd say yes, this is evidence that color-blindness is working. I have yet to see you posting some evidence that can state otherwise.

Identity politics started in the 1960s, what are you even talking about? Just because the term wasn't used earlier, doesn't mean it wasn't a thing.

Starbucks is making that claim, go read their training document. Also, could we go back to my original claim that the Starbucks document is based on fraudulent claims? Because that was my initial statement.

I never disputed anything regarding Starbucks and its claims, just you claiming that its dangerous to think of color-blindness as a "bad" thing considering human nature goes against the concept. Color-blindness is still being studied you know, because of the nature of human behavior, it has no clear conclusion with some believing it helps in short term but not long term problems of these issues. I am on that side, so I don't disagree fully with Starbucks on that.

Dad.

All of this drama has made Starbucks much better. I am more comfortable staying their longer. Or even not buying.

Papa

Banned
Racial sensitivity training was never about making more profit.

This was about making a SACRIFICE so that everyone would be treated with dignity and respect, beginning with the millions spent on training.

Lol no, it was a cynical marketing appeal to woke millennial activists who can’t afford their products anyway because they spend all day being outraged on Twitter rather than being productive members of society.

Texas Pride

Banned
Racial sensitivity training was never about making more profit.

This was about making a SACRIFICE so that everyone would be treated with dignity and respect, beginning with the millions spent on training.

I never said it was a profit driven decision. It was a PR stunt to appease the Left. And people for whatever reason have voted with their wallets to the detriment of the companies bottom line.

I never said it was a profit driven decision. It was a PR stunt to appease the Left. And people for whatever reason have voted with their wallets to the detriment of the companies bottom line.

And that density is becoming a problem as stores cannibalize each other’s business. So Starbucks said on Tuesday that it would close U.S. 150 stores, about triple the number it usually shutters annually. The overall number of stores will continue to increase, but that growth will be focused.

On a conference call with analysts, CEO Kevin Johnson said those regions include the Midwest and the South, where Starbucks is far less ubiquitous than it is in Manhattan and Washington, D.C. The news was reminiscent of Starbucks’ efforts a decade ago to close stores following years of aggressive expansion that led to softening comparable sales growth.

Starbucks will no longer seek to grow so many franchise stores, and Instead focus on quality.

As for the intent on the diversity training, it's simply for....

https://player.vimeo.com/video/273777536

Start at 29 minutes, see also 23:30 and 14:50

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom