• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: Squadrons to run at 4k/60 and 1440p/60 on Xbox Series X/S, with 120fps modes.

Drewpee

Banned
Seems like EA is becoming very cozy with Microsoft. Gamepass is great but is seriously lacking when it comes to sports titles so this could potentially be a HUGE partnership.

Will we start to see games like Madden release day and date on Gamepass? Would be shocking to say the least.

Last edited:

onesvenus

I don't know exactly what they are doing with the lighting stuff, but I know for a fact that this isn't a native PS5 game because PS5 games don't support PSVR. It must be BC mode only.
I might be missing something but where does it say that this version with improved lighting also supports PSVR?

JonkyDonk

I might be missing something but where does it say that this version with improved lighting also supports PSVR?
Well they are saying that it runs almost exactly the same as PS4 Pro, and there is no reason for that unless it is to maintain PSVR support.

And as far as I know, EA for the most part are not doing proper next-gen versions for their games. In fact these Xbox Series versions of this game seem to be the only EA release that is getting any kind of real work done.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
It didn't even take 12 days let alone 12 months, give me that sweet sweet frame graph DF😎

An unpatched version.. If you rely on this, then you're going to be disappointed. Your post is going to be quoted for many years to come. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

pasterpl

I’d wait for this game to hit gamepass. I wouldn’t read too much into these performance difference as it seems that it is a lazy port, but it is interesting that they have optimised next gen Xbox version more than ps5, maybe it is simply down to cost, and being so close to pc environment make it easier and cheaper to port to Xbox series vs ps5.

at the same time I have seen lots of threads where people were having fun suggesting that xbsex is underpowered when it was obvious that it was developer issue, so. I will say...

that it is obvious that smartshift is limiting factor with this and it is already showing at the beginning of the new generation that ps5 is underpowered /s

BluRayHiDef

Banned
This is bollocks, because frame rate is dependent on the CPU and that of the PS5 is essentially the same as that of the XSX but is slower by 100MHz; however, its unified cache, which the XSX's CPU doesn't have, should compensate for its slightly slower clock speed due to its decreased latency. Hence, the lack of native 4K and 120Hz is a result of the developers being unwilling to implement them.

As for the GPU of the PS5 being less powerful than that of the XSX, it's less powerful by only 18% at most; hence, in order to enable native 4K and 120Hz, the graphical quality of the PS5 would simply have to be tweaked a bit (e.g. slightly lower resolution textures and or slightly less post processing, etc).

Last edited:

RAIDEN1

Forget all this about frame-rate, the the REAL question is, have they fixed the issue on Misson 1 where you need to follow "Gunny"?

kuncol02

Banned
This is bollocks, because frame rate is dependent on the CPU and that of the PS5 is essentially the same as that of the XSX but is slower by 100MHz
At highest possible frequency when GPU has lowest possible. There is no info how much it downclock.
If that is really CPU bound (not likelly because Squadron run in 60fps on shitty PS4 jaguar CPU) then that really can be problem for all future games.

Shmunter

I’d wait for this game to hit gamepass. I wouldn’t read too much into these performance difference as it seems that it is a lazy port, but it is interesting that they have optimised next gen Xbox version more than ps5, maybe it is simply down to cost, and being so close to pc environment make it easier and cheaper to port to Xbox series vs ps5.

at the same time I have seen lots of threads where people were having fun suggesting that xbsex is underpowered when it was obvious that it was developer issue, so. I will say...

that it is obvious that smartshift is limiting factor with this and it is already showing at the beginning of the new generation that ps5 is underpowered /s
I wouldn’t worry. They made a PSVR version, so the effort is there on the platform.

Not bothering to even bump up the rez on a console with multitudes of compute power sounds sus as. Don’t believe the hype.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I preordered the ps5 for exclusives.
Not to play the lesser version of multiplats.

i would assume the series X would be more powerful. But i cancelled it anyway because my 3080 finally arrived.

the nintendo console beats this because they offer a handheld mode.

Last edited:

BlackTron

Well they get a nice pat on the back from me, but no money. I got this game for VR.

So it'll be the PS4 version for me until I finally get around to getting a PC VR setup.

Top Bottom