• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: Rogue Squadron HD Remake in Unreal Engine 4

Star Wars: ----- Squadron

• Rouge

Votes: 7 26.9%
  • Rogue

Votes: 19 73.1%

• Total voters

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Update:

Original:
Just gonna leave this here, found it while looking for fan patches/mods for the original (there's nothing).

There are other videos but that one is the latest and most feature complete thanks to the radar on HUD.

It looks so damn faithful outside the fully upgraded graphics (it's just a different camera setting used)!!!
This is how to play the original game on a modern OS/PC with the dgVoodoo wrapper, and some screens:
The original looks better than in the video (it might be the N64 version) but yeah, give me remake, please.

Last edited:

Alexios

The force is strong with this one.
But not with GAF if that's not exciting to people :(

I mean, it basically brings the original N64 based release (even on PC it's got the same draw distance and stuff) to the standards of the two GameCube sequels. Much shinier/better in some aspects but perhaps worse in others. Let's hope it gets finished!

Last edited:

JimiNutz

Banned
This project is cool and the footage looks awesome. It's a shame there isn't a new Rogue Squadron in development. Seeing footage like this reminds me how much I miss good quality games set in the Star Wars universe.

Alexios

This looks really nice. I'd kill for a new RS game. But with EA having the SW license, that will probably never happen
Something fishy's going on with the license as ILMxLAB had created a Star Wars location based VR co-op experiece and is now being funded to create a new Star Wars VR home series for Oculus Quest (stand alone VR portable console) and Rift (PCVR).

Unless being location based excluded it from the deals and it works similarly for the stand alone VR console while the PC version doesn't release before EA's license expires... Either way that's soon-ish I believe, and Disney's not likely to give it to EA again.

Last edited:

Virex

Banned
Something fishy's going on with the license as ILMxLAB had created a Star Wars location based VR co-op experiece and is now being funded to create a new Star Wars VR home series for Oculus Quest (stand alone VR portable console) and Rift (PCVR).

Unless being location based excluded it from the deals and it works similarly for the stand alone VR console while the PC version doesn't release before EA's license expires... Either way that's soon-ish I believe, and Disney's not likely to give it to EA again.
Here's hoping EA doesn't get the renewal. There's plenty of talented devs that can make something amazing. The VR video seems interesting. Could be good as well.

But not with GAF if that's not exciting to people :(

I mean, it basically brings the original N64 based release (even on PC it's got the same draw distance and stuff) to the standards of the two GameCube sequels. Much shinier/better in some aspects but perhaps worse in others. Let's hope it gets finished!

It would be more exciting if someone announced official remaster.

XXX being recreated in YYY is nice and all but ultimately remains just a curiosity and show of someone's skills

Trogdor1123

The whole series was so much fun. I'm pretty sure there was a challenge to eliminate every enemy in every level in it.

Alexios

It would be more exciting if someone announced official remaster.

XXX being recreated in YYY is nice and all but ultimately remains just a curiosity and show of someone's skills
I mean, I don't care who made it, official or not I'll play the fuck out of it if it gets out the door (and them being so far along already with so many features implemented shows promise to that end), it looks as good as plenty official remasters.

I doubt I'd still play the original if these guys finish it, maybe if they only release a few missions and/or they don't polish gameplay enough before getting a cease & desist (or life takes over the time and dedication they have to see it through).

It's not just a video or fancy assets like random XXX in YYY projects you mention that never intend to become more, this is playable with all the systems and interaction seen fully programmed like the original game and is intended to release.

Last edited:
As a BIG Rogue Squadron fan since I was like 10 years old I can say the Starfighter mode in Battlefront 2 is everything I ever wanted. I just wish they kept releasing more maps.
It’s just doesn’t have nearly enough variety for me. Rouge Squadron certainly does.

prag16

Banned
This looks nice. Reminds me again how much of a shame it is that the Wii Rogue Squadron Trilogy pack never saw the light of day. Somebody from Factor 5 needs to do us a solid and leak an iso onto the interwebs.

clem84

Gold Member
I wish the folks who were at Factor5 back then would get together and create a new RS game. Or maybe finally release the remastered trilogy.

Last edited:

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
It seems like there are countless classic games being made in unreal 4. I must see 6 trailers/demos a year. Not sure any one has ever been finished.

Im not hating i love watching them but i just look at it as a tech demo, not a game that will ever be finished.

Last edited:

Alexios

It seems like there are countless classic games being made in unreal 4. I must see 6 trailers/demos a year. Not sure any one has ever been finished.

Im not hating i love watching them but i just look at it as a tech demo, not a game that will ever be finished.
It just seems like they have already developed much of what's needed for it to play out so closely to the original in that video, even if it's just the one level (I have no idea if they're perfecting this first or working on more alongside it or whatever). Cut scenes, transitions, explosions (some are default UE4 still, others are already proper custom stuff fitting of the object), enemy AI, weapons, events, objective triggers, whatever else. Plus it's UE4 so if they actually finish up a decently polished release, even without the full game/all levels remade, dedicated fans could maybe make content for it even if the developers give up and either remake more original levels, or do some sequel levels, or all new stuff. That would be pretty exciting stuff. Hopefully they finish and release a good chunk, if not the whole thing. The same for the Episode I Racer remake which has a playable release. Let's hope they don't get noticed and receive a c&d before they reach a solid release point.

Either way it's not like other random stuff like people, mostly artists, recreating an area of Metal Gear Solid or Zelda or whatever in UE4 and leaving it at that as just a showcase of the level designer's/modeler's skills (and I think most are clear about that and don't call it remake to imply they intend to release a game, they - and those reporting it - just put that in the title to attract eyes), they've done a lot more than that already in both cases. There are some cool Unity Star Wars projects too like the X-Wing remake, XWVM, which intends to read the data from the original game in your HDD (to the extent that if you have modded mission scripts and stuff it will apply in the remake - and yeah the original didn't have playable TIE fighters as in that video but they're putting that in for an expanded simulator and custom missions, not the campaign, although maybe eventually they'll also add support for the TIE Fighter game, but that's a big if, we'll see how they do with X-Wing first).

Last edited:

Alexios

Rouge Squadron certainly does.
1qekyp.jpg

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
Too long, redacted to save space
Considering they shut down the KOTOR remake in UE4, prolly not likely.

Disney is also very slap happy with C&D's because, well, they have an incredible amount of money and can just do it.

I would post articles saying that Disney C&Ds just about everything they can, but a good grip of them are older, because it's just kind of known to not hit Disney, Star Trek, or Star Wars, or you'll get a phat and quick C&D.

Alexios

Sorry but it looks disgusting for an UE4 demo.
No apology necessary, it's just a (disgusting) opinion (sorry). I think it looks fantastic and like a much needed major upgrade as the first game hasn't aged as nicely as the rest (still fun though) :)

Last edited:

Alexios

Yeah... I guess I'm missing something but it looks like the Gamecube game?
That's what I thought too, what makes you think you missed something? It's just most people don't find the GC games disgusting but rather cool still, especially if they're not restricted to SD anymore (can't run them well on Dolphin myself though, sucks).

It's a remake of the original N64 (& PC) game after all, not of the GC games.

Last edited:

Alexios

Well, I was seeing it from the angle of already having fun with the original release as is (well, tweaked to high res and stuff with dgVoodoo), then discovering this effort while looking around for some fan patches etc. Hence the comparison video/screens in the OP. I even wrote it might be better than the GC games in some ways (resolution, polycounts, lighting, shadows etc) but worse in others (it's so faithful to the N64 the level is still a relatively simple heightmap without much complexity in the overall design of it) so overall I'd say is on par with the GC games all things considered!

Last edited:
Yeah... I guess I'm missing something but it looks like the Gamecube game?

That's what I thought too, what makes you think you missed something? It's just most people don't find the GC games disgusting but rather cool still, especially if they're not restricted to SD anymore (can't run them well on Dolphin myself though, sucks).

It's a remake of the original N64 (& PC) game after all, not of the GC games.

You might be right, this looks as though this would be a remake for the Gamecube, rather than a modern UE4 remake. AlthoughI remember the GC ones looking a bit better.

Now the problem is I don't know what I would do with it, since even the Rogue Leader and Rebel Strikes would be in need of a remake, but the idea of having an uprezed Rogue Squadron trilogy with GC-level graphics can be nice.

Alexios

You might be right, this looks as though this would be a remake for the Gamecube, rather than a modern UE4 remake. AlthoughI remember the GC ones looking a bit better.

Now the problem is I don't know what I would do with it, since even the Rogue Leader and Rebel Strikes would be in need of a remake, but the idea of having an uprezed Rogue Squadron trilogy with GC-level graphics can be nice.
I'd be content if I could run the GC games on Dolphin well but they stutter immensely, ubershaders or no. No other game I have has such issues. But they look soooooooo great still in action when it happens to be smooth. Maybe in 3-5 years when I upgrade.

Speaking of the spaceship combat stuff of course, the on-foot sections didn't look great even back then to me and even the controls were often meh. An official remake should ditch all that and put more space combat in its place, haha.

I'm also happy with how XWVM is shaping up, a Unity fan remake of X-Wing. What can I say, I'm content with less than photorealism when the look is nicely cohesive and free of retro restrictions that haven't aged so well.

And it's not like we have other more modern looking/equally good alternatives for games like this these days. Though I was excited for Rebel Galaxy Outlaw before the EGS deal :(

Last edited:

Alexios

I don't get why videos had to be taken down? Do all the "lego star wars" stop motion fan story/remakes stuff and all kinds of other star wars content also have to be taken down in the same way for example technically? Sucks either way. Looked so faithful and well done.

At least the X-Wing fan Unity remake (they call it a "mod" and it will require the original game data files so maybe they can get away with it like those Ultima Underworld and Daggerfall projects using the same methods) is progressing nicely. I'm not making a thread for it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom