• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

|OT| - Star Wars Squadrons: Rogue-ing in the XXIst Century

Is the mouse aim direct input or sim joystick? I hope it is not direct input as that would give mouse a massive advantage and I’d rather use a more immersive control scheme.
That's the deciding factor for me if I get the PC or PS4 version. If mouse control is an unfair advantage (like in War Thunder) then I'd have to settle for the console version.

Gloomnivore

VR is still the true next gen. Switching from the TV to PSVR headset is an upgrade that PS5 and Series X/S could never compete with.

I’m on the 4th mission and still haven’t mastered the controls but that only serves to make the VR more impressive as I spend half the time unintentionally upside down or barely miss crashing into things every few seconds. This is one game where being useless at it pays off.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Can't wait until after work to get cracking on this.

A2una1

Played it tonight, on PS4Pro with PSVR, well it's a cool experience, but the visuals are not that great (for psvr at least) a lot of shimmering edges and a little blurry I think. Did use a HOTAS 4. Was fun but I think the ships are to slow so the speed of flying a fighter was not that well. At least for me..

ranmafan

Played a bit of it this afternoon all on psvr, and wow what an experience. The battlefront vr mission was cool years back, but a full game of it is just so much better. Quite challenging game too. Already one of my favorite games of the year with just a little play time.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Hey guys, I´m tempted to get this but, how is the singleplayer? Does it have a good campaign or does it feel like a training mode for the multiplayer?

royox

Hooked up the Quest, Smoked a joint, and blew up a Star Destroyer. Multiplayer is fun as fuck.

It is? Im a super fan of Starfighters in star wars...played X-Wing vs Tie Fighter, all the Rogue Squadrons, the SF mode in SWTOR and now I'm playing A LOT the starfighter mode in BF2 that FOR ME is the best SF Multiplayer experience in the star wars sagas. 10 vs 10 + bots battles with objectives are fun as fuck....don't know how 5vs5 can be also fun...looks like little scale.

Kev Kev

fuck yes! so happy to hear its good. and i never played that vr mission from battlefront, so this is gonna be a new fresh experience for me

Sentenza

Hope to hear soon from the devs about the weird framerate issue.
For some reason despise getting 120 fps or more on a G-sync monitor, the game feels choppy and it somehow manages to run smoother when locked at 60hz with vsync activated.

Sentenza

What kind of flight controls does it have. When you hit left on the joystick, do you roll or just turn?
By default with my t16000 you turn to left by moving left and roll in the same direction by twisting the cloche instead.
You know, like most flight sims.

REDRZA MWS

Hope to hear soon from the devs about the weird framerate issue.
For some reason despise getting 120 fps or more on a G-sync monitor, the game feels choppy and it somehow manages to run smoother when locked at 60hz with vsync activated.

My experience too. As soon as I turned vsync on, the tearing and judder stopped, locked 60. Without vsync my FPS were Really high, couldn’t stomach the tearing and frame choppiness.

betrayal

Banned
For all the undecided people playing on PC, I just want to remind you that it might be worthwhile to buy $15 EA Play Pro (via Origins) for one month to play the game. This way you can play SW Squadrons for a month and try out many other games.

Last edited:

Sentenza

For all the undecided people playing on PC, I just want to remind you that it might be worthwhile to buy $15 EA Play Pro (via Origins) for one month to play the game. This way you can play SW Squadrons for a month and try out many other games.
Nah, we are good. thanks.

Last edited:

Njocky

Banned
Looks like its good enough in vr for me to dust off the psvr helmet. I'll get i'll try iron man too. It's in moments like this I really hope PS had a game pass.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Got through the prologue this morning on my Index + Xbox controller. Performance is a bit rough in VR on a 1080ti but a little adjusting worked. Excited to play more after work, it's a really different experience to be able to look around when you're dogfighting...just moving your head up as you pull up on the stick to track TIE Fighters is great.

Spaceman292

Banned
By default with my t16000 you turn to left by moving left and roll in the same direction by twisting the cloche instead.
You know, like most flight sims.
Most flight sims roll

Forwards and backward = up and down
Left and right = roll

Last edited:

TheMan

So I played a bit last night (regretting it this AM) and it's pretty good. Only played the very first SP missions but I managed to get my HOTAS mapped without much problem and it felt good to fly around. Fast and fluid. Some hiccups getting VR to work- lack of native oculus support is stupid- but i managed it and it's immersive.

Looking forward to spending more time with this although I had to pick up a shift on Sunday so half my weekend is gone :(

Spaceman292

Banned
"Roll" is moving left and right. Rotating on you axis is called

"Roll" is moving left and right in an airplane flight model. Rotating on you axis is called "Yaw".
Oh okay I got confused
I just don't want the novice a.k.a 'bitch' controls from ace combat.

Stitch

Gold Member
Great, just started a Campaign but VR is broken. Laggy as hell.

Oh well putting lots of diversity in the Empire was probably more important than optimizing and bugfixing.

Last edited:

TheMan

Anybody have a clue whether my 4790k 16GBMem and 780TI all three OC'd could run this on Oculus Rift CV1 at low settings?

oh man that's pushing it for VR period. From what I recall reading hte game can be taxing so I think you'd be in for a rough time. That said you can always buy from steam and refund if it doesn't work

oh man that's pushing it for VR period. From what I recall reading hte game can be taxing so I think you'd be in for a rough time. That said you can always buy from steam and refund if it doesn't work
Yeah, Im below min spec, and it seems like Min Spec isn't a great VR experience. If only I had gotten my 3090 preorder.

John2290

It's okay so far, about two hours in myself, it's not great but better than most on PSVR. The thing I can't stand is some soft blurring in the distance on the PRO and I hope some enhancements or an optimization patch comes along to fix that. I'd even take a less detailed cockpit if they could reduce blur. Alas, it's better than the tacked on modes like AC7 and what not. I'm having fun and it's at a very decent price point with very little of the fluff which is a rarity for an EA game, if they keep this up I might be more willing to play there games in the future on day one.

John2290

^ That said it' ten times better in VR, i wouldn't even touch it if it was primarily a TV screen game. VR makes everything better but when it comes to racing and flight games it takes the genre so far beyond it's traditional that I can't even play these genres on TV alone anymore. I hope this is a win for VR and we get more AAA stuff.

John2290

That's the deciding factor for me if I get the PC or PS4 version. If mouse control is an unfair advantage (like in War Thunder) then I'd have to settle for the console version.
Even if you play on Ps4 you'll have to deal with VR users which I'm sure will have a higher skill ceiling possibly even more than M&K so you're screwed on PC also and on top of that, there will also be hackers. Console with cross play off is probably the safest bet.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Does anyone know if the game comes with really basic controls?

Like Ace Combat novice control set which is literally playing it like After Burner and you don't have to worry about yaw?

- Accelerate
- Brake
- LS steers your plane up/down/left/right

That's it.

Last edited:

Romulus

I'm really loving it on my Rift S, also bought it on ps4 pro to support this type of game.

Even in ps4 switching from non VR to VR is insane. While blurrier in VR, what you actually gain is incredible. Its not even close.

Small Change

Neo Member
Holy shit, even using a controller the VR is absolutely phenomenal it elevates the game and it's already pretty decent on normal displays.

I thought this was crossplay?
Even if you play on Ps4 you'll have to deal with VR users which I'm sure will have a higher skill ceiling possibly even more than M&K so you're screwed on PC also and on top of that, there will also be hackers. Console with cross play off is probably the safest bet.
I'm fine with VR users. Hope I'll be one of them at some point.
Only just learned about cross play - but also read that mouse input really just emulates a joystick, so no unfair mouse aim!
Gonna get the PC version now.

How is it on PSVR? Im almost considering picking up a headset because of this game but also considering waiting for the inevitable PSVR2.

John2290

How is it on PSVR? Im almost considering picking up a headset because of this game but also considering waiting for the inevitable PSVR2.
PRO user with PSVR myself, it's good. Not great but it's solid. The only downside is some minor blurring in the distance where it's hard to make out enemies are they're more like blurry blotches and you also have to get fairly close to appreciate details on things like Star destroyers and what not. The cockpit is crystal clear although you won't see it much. Gameplay itself is, again, just good. It's not going to blown you're mind but it won't fully disappoint you at the same time and the story is fairly light in the two D cutscenes in the head set while most is presented in the way Ace combat does it. Sound is phenomenal and the VA isn't really terrible. I'd say a solid 7 so far ant two and a half hours or so.

Yeah, the VR really is something to behold. It‘s definitely the element that elevates this game into something special. I can’t play it flat afterward. It’s almost like a completely different game.

After getting my HOTAS to work (seems the game has trouble detecting it if you have too much plugged into your USB ports) I have to say, to my surprise, my preferred control scheme is actually an Xbox One gamepad.... I find it to be the best balance of immersion and accuracy. Maybe if I had one of those super expensive HOTAS I‘d feel differently. I need to try setting it up with my Steam controller cause I think that could actually be really cool.

I definitely have a few gripes. The dialog writing is not great. I swear these ‘progressive‘ writers in games have an AI that generates characters and everything they say. It’s not even like it’s anything overt either, it’s just this overall air to everything that you instantly recognize. They don’t feel like actual characters so much as vessels for some silly agenda.

Also, I wish the skybox was prettier. I assume it’s a performance thing but the background has these really blurry stars littered around that look... bad. Once you’re in the action you don’t notice it but it definitely holds the game back visually. Especially in contrast to how beautiful the ships are. VR also has some ugly, weird motion blur too and there doesn’t seem to be any way to turn it off.

drotahorror

Lol in ACG's review he mentions people are posted up like a turret and using auto targeting missiles to take people down. Maybe this ain't the game for me. Can't stand camping and I never would have thought a game like this would turn into a camp fest.

TheMan

Lol in ACG's review he mentions people are posted up like a turret and using auto targeting missiles to take people down. Maybe this ain't the game for me. Can't stand camping and I never would have thought a game like this would turn into a camp fest.

Kind of silly they would allow something like this in a competitive multiplayer games. Can you destroy the turrets?

Seems like it would be easily fixable if you just dont allow people to completely stop. But yeah, camping seems like the last problem you would expect from this game.

At least it sounds like you can play co-op against AI if the game doesnt get balanced out.

Batiman

Banned
Is there no reviews for this yet? I haven’t been following this too closely. Is more MP or SP focused?

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Really enjoying it so far, the hanger parts give off an anthem vibe but at least you don’t have to slowly walk around to trigger the interactions. Flying is fun as hell.

Maybe this game will get popular enough that it will finally lead to the StarCraft space sim MMO I've been dreaming of for like twenty years now. I want similar combat but with more emphasis on exploration. There's even little moments in this game where you enter some floating debris and there's just something fucking cool about it. Then add Blizzard's signature polish and ability to make mechanics that are simple with depth to master (if this even still exists at Blizzard. save us, Dreamhaven). I know about Elite Dangerous and Star Citizen but I feel those games miss the mark for what I want. They lack a compelling hook and have too much dead weight.

Hari Seldon

I tried it out with my KBSim joystick. So far so good. There is some autoaim with a joystick so it makes up for lack of mouse precision. I can see long term joystick being the most superior control scheme due to the amount of buttons you need. There are all kinds of unmapped options in the control settings for doing specific routing of power, and to be able to do that quickly with a mapped HOTAS setup would be a big advantage. Going to try the first mission again with just a controller and see what the difference is like.

Top Bottom