• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

|OT| - Star Wars Squadrons: Rogue-ing in the XXIst Century

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
"While we are investigating the reports received on various issues for #StarWarsSquadrons, we are deploying a small PC patch to improve overall stability in the game when launching in VR."

royox

Might get an oculus in black friday for my ps4 pro. You think its worth it with the ps5 already here? Im a huge sw fan and started my videogame story with Xwing vs TieFighter :_

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
lnmzXBi.png

cyberheater

Patch is live on Steam.

Update October 8, 2020
Fleet Battles Ranks
  1. Fixed an issue where players could not be correctly placed in a rank after initial placement matches.
  2. Players who have not started their placement matches will be able to place normally.
  3. Players who have started their placement matches will have their remaining matches use the corrected system.
  4. There will be no rank resets at this time.
Controls
  1. Added options in the menu called "Controller Global Deadzone" and "Flight Stick Global Deadzone" which will allow you to modify the deadzone individually for standard controllers and Flight Sticks.
  2. Adjusted the default input curves for Flight Sticks, which should make controls feel more responsive.
VR
  1. Adjusted some of the visual effects in VR mode, specifically addressing the brightness and bloom when dropping bombs from your Starfighter.
Bug Fixes
  1. Fixed an issue where the Fleet Battles Tutorial could become incompletable if the player’s starfighter was destroyed at certain points during the exercise.
  2. Fixed an issue where V-Sync would sometimes become disabled upon returning to the main menu.
  3. Fixed a bug where the Imperial squadron was not visible in some instances during the opening cinematic for Dogfight mode.
  4. Fixed an issue that was causing the 3000 series Nvidia GPUs to default to low quality graphics settings.
  5. We’ve removed a couple of instances where development text was appearing in the game.
  6. Fixed an issue ensuring VOIP (voice chat) toggles work as intended.
  7. Fixed an issue on PC where single-player medals could be removed after playing other game modes. (NOTE: We are aware of this issue on console as well and a fix for that will be coming soon).
Stability
  1. Improved stability in the Spectator feature of online PvP modes.
  2. Other general stability improvements and fixes.

Last edited:
Well I hate to say it, but this game kinda sucks.

The gameplay is great but online doesn't work half the time and when it does, I've only gotten into completely lopsided games. Either stomping or being stomped.

Also Vs. AI fleetbattles never seems to matchmake and always crashes to the menu even post patch.

cyberheater

Well I hate to say it, but this game kinda sucks.

The gameplay is great but online doesn't work half the time and when it does, I've only gotten into completely lopsided games. Either stomping or being stomped.

Also Vs. AI fleetbattles never seems to matchmake and always crashes to the menu even post patch.

I don't know about online. I never user it.

The single player experience in VR on Oculus CV1 with HOTAS is a dream come true. Been waiting many years for this experience and worth every penny.

Glad for the deadzone patch, might bring my HOTAS back out after all, even though controller actually feels great.

I feel burned as a VR enthusiast though. Beyond the 60hz issue, there are a lot of signs that Motive didn't do their homework when it comes to VR, even though they claimed it was built with it in mind from the ground up. No option to go native Oculus sdk from Steam so I refunded and rebought on Origin. SteamVR often has issues with Oculus headsets in certain games, if nothing else it's an extra process layer to sort through. Then, even though Oculus Home picks up that it's a VR app and puts it in your library, you can't start it from there. To use it through Oculus you have to toggle VR every single time (going from Origin without SteamVR). The game also seems generally unoptimized for PCVR, and I'm not talking about the locked framerate. With Oculus debug you can still see the frames you should be getting, and they are all over the place. Yet somehow it runs fine on PSVR. This is No Man's Sky VR all over again so far....but with that game, I understand why.

The only thing I can do to make this game look good and run smooth is forcing Asynchronous Spacewarp at 45fps, and that causes the reticle to ghost when you turn along with other goopy artifacts. It's also still less frames in reality; the interpolation fixes some shit but I can't play for too long without feeling a little funky, and I rarely get VR motion sickness.

It is nice that there is a separate VR only advanced graphics section; not a lot of ports have that. I hope Motive follow through with the issues (many more left beyond VR), the gameplay itself is fantastic even if the breadth and depth of content are pretty low.

Last edited:

Kev Kev

Yet somehow it runs fine on PSVR.
and heres why i gave up on pc gaming over a decade ago. every game i ever tried to play on pc had issues bc my gear or specs werent good enough or optimized. so annoying. i hated getting so excited only to be let down every fucking time. and even when i got the game to actually start it would run like shit. i had very, very few good experiences.

i know the pc vs console debate has been done to death so im not looking to get into it. just had to give my .02 that im so fucking happy i never have to deal with that headache, even if it means missing out on some amazing games, experiences and graphics on pc 🤷‍♂️ its just not worth the headache. it never was. and thats why consoels have always been so successful

anyways, i hope you get it workin buddy. i cant imagine the mods and shit they could release for this on pc (do people mod for vr? is that possible?), seeing as ow everyone is saying its so well done. imagine a star wars space sim/open universe 😍

Last edited:
and heres why i gave up on pc gaming over a decade ago. every game i ever tried to play on pc had issues bc my gear or specs werent good enough or optimized. so annoying. i hated getting so excited only to be let down every fucking time. and even when i got the game to actually start it would run like shit. i had very, very few good experiences.

i know the pc vs console debate has been done to death so im not looking to get into it. just had to give my .02 that im so fucking happy i never have to deal with that headache, even if it means missing out on some amazing games, experiences and graphics on pc 🤷‍♂️ its just not worth the headache. it never was. and thats why consoels have always been so successful

anyways, i hope you get it workin buddy. i cant imagine the mods and shit they could release for this on pc (do people mod for vr? is that possible?), seeing as ow everyone is saying its so well done. imagine a star wars space sim/open universe 😍

I get ya, but it's still worth it to me. I don't mind tinkering, so a majority of the time its okay, but yeah when I can't get my PC that's 4x more powerful than a console to run as well as the console version (at low settings no less), it's fucking annoying. The best VR games have modding and great modding communities. Pavlov is basically CS: Go VR and 90% of that game is mods. You can play levels from Golden Eye in Half Life: Alyx engine (really well done), and people are even remaking Half Life 2 in it, which looks incredible:

So yeah, VR is heavily reliant on mods which is part of what makes PCVR so good, but I don't think Squadrons can be modded, unfortunately. It could really use it too. 6 maps ain't enough.

Last edited:

PooBone

I got the game on PS4, specifically for VR. After the first couple prologue missions, I'm not at a one-mission maximum, lest I get the gurgle gut.

Romulus

I'm getting pretty good in VR in terms of control. But without VR I'm noticeably worse. I can not judge distance to save my life. This is one of those games that depth perception works wonders. I'm absolutely decimating in dogfights.

Kimahri

Banned
So apparently star destroyers are indestructible???? In the tutorial thing where you end up trying to destroy it, ive literally targeted and destroyed all the key things on it (all have the red X when you pause) except the main destroyer itself and "Destroy the power source" or something like that is listed at the top but no matter what i do the motherfucker wont blow up or lose anymore life so i have no clue what the fuck is wrong. Im so God damn mad right now i want to delete the game.

EDIT-- Apparently its a bug....Holy fucking shit, how does shit like this get past QA?

We have become aware of and are actively working to address a bug that may prevent you from completing the Fleet Battles Tutorial if your starfighter is destroyed at certain points during the exercise.

In the meantime, you
can still complete the tutorial (and earn the cosmetic items) as long as your starfighter is not destroyed during the tutorial.

Yeah, this happened to me. After a couple of tries I figured it was linked to the mission goals of the tutorial. I had jumped ahead and destroyed things before I was supposed to, when I started over, and followed the tutorial step by step it all worked out.

Seems like things just didn't trigger because the game was waiting for me to do something else.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Yeah, this happened to me. After a couple of tries I figured it was linked to the mission goals of the tutorial. I had jumped ahead and destroyed things before I was supposed to, when I started over, and followed the tutorial step by step it all worked out.

Seems like things just didn't trigger because the game was waiting for me to do something else.

The good news i redid this tutorial last night after the new patch and it went without a hitch!

Not going to lie, I have buyers remorse with this one. There just isnt enough content and the matchmatching is terrible and co-op v. AI is still glitchy at best and doesnt work at all at worst.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
picked up an Oculus Rift S and bought this game. played it for the first time last night. was grinning from ear to ear! ahhh just sitting in that faithfully modeled TIE Fighter cockpit was a thing of wonder. the way the light catches itself when you are flying around, just looks amazing.

then they dumped me in an X-Wing and i almost crapped myself because of how good it looked. damn, they nailed it out of the park with this one. as someone who once was amazed at the Rebel Assault FMV games, getting to play this was a real "wow i live in the future" moment. highly recommended.

CuNi

Needs more sp length before I'll get it. Sąd to see that it has no grozhd/ground missions or so. Focused on mp way to much again instead of recreating the original squadron games.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Needs more sp length before I'll get it. Sąd to see that it has no grozhd/ground missions or so. Focused on mp way to much again instead of recreating the original squadron games.

It's trying to be a spiritual successor to X-Wing/TIE-Fighter; not Rogue Squadron.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
now that i have played both Empire and Rebel missions and gotten to the title screen, i already feel pretty confident in saying this is the greatest Star Wars video game ever made.

it perfectly nails that arcade style dogfighting from the original X-Wing/TIE-Fighter games. but it looks jaw dropping and is super immersive in VR.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

How’s the single player campaign? I don’t care for multiplayer, and since I got a brand new Quest 2, maybe some VR if it does not require a beast of a pc.

splattered

now that i have played both Empire and Rebel missions and gotten to the title screen, i already feel pretty confident in saying this is the greatest Star Wars video game ever made.

it perfectly nails that arcade style dogfighting from the original X-Wing/TIE-Fighter games. but it looks jaw dropping and is super immersive in VR.

How is it non-vr though? I've been on the fence a couple times as its dropped to like 16.99 but still haven't bought it. Wouldn't be using it on my PSVR I dont think.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
TIE Fighter is still one of the best Star Wars games ever made. Rogue Squadron was a watered-down console game that can't compare.
That's just retarded, they're equally great series with very different design goals (and Rogue Squadron 3D was great on PC too, I keep it installed always, though it does play best with a gamepad rather than a flight stick, but other than that it's still fun as hell) rather than different quality/watered down takes on the same goals.

Squadrons is a watered down X-Wing/TIE Fighter however (so despite ManaByte having an equally retarded point overall he's right to criticize Squadrons in terms of campaign length, depth and variety), but still a nice glimpse of what we could be getting all these years if studios and IP holders got their heads out of their arses.

Last edited:
I like Star Wars, but dislike flying/flight games.

Is this game worth the gamepass download to play it on the easiest settings to get the story?

Or there is no real story in this game?

There is a story but its pretty meh worthy. If you dont like flight games, you might not like this since its a bit more complicated and in depth than you might think at first. You would probably still be able to breeze through the story on easy without messing with any of the more complicated tactics/abilities but even movement is a bit weightier than Battlefront 2's space combat.

Majormaxxx

Piece of shit story and characters. Forced SJW wokeness. Only empire guy feels the need to state he has a husband. Who cares? Jeez. Otherwise, no white, no male. What were these people drinking..

Annoying forced obligation to get back to the mothership to reload the shield. Meh controls.

Empire campaign is crap. It is supposed to be done like Tie Fighter, and not with obvious evilness.

Last edited:

Ironbunny

Anybody played this game with joystic or hotas? I've been trying to get this work with hotas and MOUSE but for the love of me I cant make it work. If I connect controller or joystic mouse always dissappears. How the fuck I am supposed to navigate menus with hotas. :S With controller its OK but I aint playing with that. Anybody got a solution?

Top Bottom