• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix interested to know how fans would like Chrono Trigger to be remade

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
rafael-grassetti-chrono-trigger.jpg

Source / Via
Omg…it’s going to happen! I personally would just like a remake like SO just released. We don’t need a full scale FF7 thingy lol

ungalo

The title is half-bait.

Right now ('Right now' being the key phrase here) he's thinking of two different paths: FF7 full blown remake or Link's Awakening Switch-style remake.
Thanks to the Nintendo fanboy hosting the podcast we're going to end up with a shitty remake like Link's Awakening

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
The 2DHD thing would be great, and I think there's a ton you could do with those environments. Add in Singing Mountain, give us an optional remixed soundtrack, and you're basically set. Square has proven they can do a damn good job with that. I wouldn't want a 3D remake - in this case, less is more.

Oh, and none of that junk they added to the DS version. Thanks.

ZehDon

Gold Member
I'd actually like them to just remake it like Chrono Cross; fixed camera angles, pre-rendered backgrounds, stylised 3D models. I think that kind of style would work very well for the kind of RPG it actually is. Attempting to take Chrono Trigger and transform it into a third person action game - ala FFVII Remake - would be a massive mistake.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
The 2DHD thing would be great, and I think there's a ton you could do with those environments. Add in Singing Mountain, give us an optional remixed soundtrack, and you're basically set. Square has proven they can do a damn good job with that. I wouldn't want a 3D remake - in this case, less is more.

Oh, and none of that junk they added to the DS version. Thanks.
Keep that junk, and add some of the cut stuff in zeal back in!

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
Maybe they could invent something where you Interact with on screen video with buttons on a plastic doo dad.

I think it would waste billions of hours of people's lives and a escape from the reality we hate.

I doubt anyone would buy such an invention.

Rat Rage

CT doesn't need a remaster. Also, 2D-HD sucks ass and looks ugly. Either stick to 3D or 2D, no one needs a fused bastardisation of both.

sendit

Also, Toriyama needs to be invovled or the art style needs to be intact. Chrono Cross was an abomination.

Last edited:
Reactions: RNG

K' Dash

I usually don’t give a shit about SE, but I’ll make an exception for what I consider the second best RPG ever made.

Kokoloko85

Id prefer a new game in the series or direct sequel, Same cast etc. Which Crono Cross wasnt.
If they remake it, use the Dragon Quest style graphics, anime looking. Doesnt need to be Final Fantasy style

Svejk

No thanks. Having finally played it to completion last year, I'm sure it was extremely charming back in the day... But it can just stay there... Back in time...

I can think of at least a dozen other Square games that should be remade before it.

Last edited:

Synless

This is going to get remade in every way you all don’t want it to be done in. It happens this way every time.

I still want it though.

Last edited:

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
Don't. That game is perfect. There is nothing they could do that would make it better. Instead, they should focus their energy on making a third game. But the problem is, the original was such a lightning in a bottle moment. You had some of the greatest game makers at the height of their creative prowess coming together to make it happen. All those involved are old men now. It's too late I think. Even if you brought back together Horii, Sakaguchi, Kato, Toriyama and Mitsuda back, it wouldn't be the same

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
They should split it up into several episodes, each of which could be expanded to a full sized game.

The first part could last until you save Marle. Just imagine exploring Truce and Guardia in full AAA glory. They could really add to the immersion by adding awesome sidequests like “help me find my missing cats” and “go kill the monsters at the abandoned garbage dump”.

Kumomeme

Dragon Quest XI in term of artstyle + 2D features available

let FFVII Remake/Rebirth team handle. since lot of staff come from FF13 trilogy, they has experience with time travel mechanic from FF13-2.

Last edited:

Myths

I’ll accept DQ8 or Ni no Kuni art direction and technology. Fully 3D in the style of DQ8, add in optional Chrono Break scenario they chugged out (skip Cross), all bonus content.

If theyre looking for the best way to monetize off this release, probably fully built and realize worlds (eras) similar to FF7 Remake’s format.

First release would be Present/Middle Ages and then continue onward. I know, it’s a business, theyre going to tax us hard. But if done with genuine effort and worthwhile to play, I’ll shell out several hundred if everything is consistent and well put together.

Last edited:

Fbh

One game
Give it to the DQXI team
Don't let Nomura into the writers room
Spare no Expense on the soundtrack

As for the combat I'd be fine with both turn based or something like the 7 Remake combat system but the focus should remain on combination attacks between your party members.

Reactions: RNG

mystech

A 3D graphical remaster with stylized graphics. A game like Chrono Trigger shouldn’t pursue a realistic look. Even better if they can take a Dragon Quest XI approach and allow players to switch to a 2D mode with HD sprites.

That being said, a remake like Final Fantasy VII wouldn’t be half bad either. Stick close to the original and still slow for some creative exploration and expansion.

Gemdrops seems like the obvious choice after they knocked it out of the park with SO2, though I'd rather see them remaster and finish Xenogears first.

kunonabi

I didn't even like what they did with the DS port so I can't say I'd really want anything.

That said, the bullshit remake/sequel timey-wimey shit they're pulling with FFVII would have made infinitely more sense for Chrono Trigger. Still would have been a mess since modern day Square can't write for shit most of the time but still.

Top Bottom