• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix interested to know how fans would like Chrono Trigger to be remade

Draugoth

Gold Member
rafael-grassetti-chrono-trigger.jpg
Chrono Trigger director Yoshinori Kitase recently took part in the My Perfect Console podcast and asked about how fans would like to see the classic RPG remade. There is obviously many different approaches Square Enix could take, but Kitase was curious how they could best deliver it. The three routes Kitase discussed in the podcast was a port, a graphical remaster, or alternatively a remake similar in vein to the successful but expensive Final Fantasy VII Remake.

Source / Via

Pejo

Depends, are they gonna inject fanfiction into it, or do a faithful remake? I'd probably buy a 2DHD remake but I'd prefer it if they also had a GOOD scanlines filter. Anything 3D or larger in scale or changing the story can get fucked.

Holammer

32-bit pixel art presentation as it would have looked on a Saturn or PS1, with for the time typical alpha channel transparency and scaling. Up the resolution to the same as Crosscode at 568x320, so you get a little bit more detail for small stuff and text, but still crunchy looking pixels.
That's what I want, but it's not what we're getting.

Deft Beck

I heard this the other day on the podcast and it made me raise my eyebrow. Odd for Kitase to ask this of a journalist.

I think we're probably going to get a HD-2D remake at most.

Last edited:
The title is half-bait.

Kitase described three different routes for a potential Chrono Trigger remake: a port, a graphical remaster or a remake of the scope of Final Fantasy VII Remake. Parkin shared his view on the matter, stating that he appreciated what Nintendo did with its remake of The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening. Kitase responded by thanking Parkin for his great input.

A Chrono Trigger remake along the lines of The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening certainly sounds compelling, especially for fans who would rather not see the game’s core storytelling and gameplay tampered with. On the other hand, a re-imagining in the vein of Final Fantasy VII Remake could also have some very enticing prospects. The shift from a turn-based combat system to a party-based real-time combat similar to that of Final Fantasy VII Remake could resonate well with a wider audience.

Right now ('Right now' being the key phrase here) he's thinking of two different paths: FF7 full blown remake or Link's Awakening Switch-style remake.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
What happened to the DQ3 remake? That looked lovely and it completely vanished.
Apparently still being developed. It pops up every now and again in interviews and things. Seems like it's taking forever though!

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
2D-3D mix, Star Ocean 2 style would work great. No need to go full in like FFVII.
I'd like an HD-2D remake for pretty much every 16-bit Square game.
Star Ocean The Second Story R style HD 2d/3d thing. Please do that for Xenogears too.
HD-2D, all the way.
2d hd and it's fine.
2DHD style then yes
2D-HD. FF6 as well.
Like how they did Live a Live. Just want polished up detail in the original game, but keep the same style. Full on remake would ruin it.

Now I Have To Kill All Of You Bill Murray GIF by filmeditor

"Port or remaster please" - Majority of Chrono Trigger fans.

"Based on feedback from fans, we have decided to remake Chrono Trigger as a GaaS" - Square Enix, probably.

Last edited:

Boss Mog

Remake it, but it doesn't need to be expensive like FF7R. Persona 3 Reload is a perfect example of a remake done right, without excessive graphics. It's fresh but it still feels like the original.

I'm torn between giving it the Octopath Traveler treatment, or giving it the FFVII Remake treatment. I'm leaning towards FFVII Remake...

Mitsurux

HD-2d or Pixel Remaster style (With option to play in "original graphics"/4:3 mode)
Choice of arranged or original soundtrack
Toggle to include PS1 animated cut scenes (on or off)
Include additional content from DS version (as like a extra mode or something)
Don't Change the Battle system
If Translation is being changed include option for original translation
(ok to include optional quality of life stuff like they did in the Pixel Remasters)

Top Bottom