• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's Spider-Man Movie-verse Will Feature Carnage, and May Include Kraven, Mysterio

Laplasakos

Awesome news. Carnage is the most requested villian every time there is a Spider Man movie in the works. I know the article says that he may be part of the Venom movie but i think eventually he will cross roads with Peter Parker.

Really excited about Sony's plans with Spider Movie-verse!

SpaceWolf

Banned
Was the Venom stuff really cramping some of the other, uh, questionable narrative decisions, like giving Harry amnesia or retconning Sandman as Uncle Ben's killer?

Like I said, if Venom wasn't forced into a hastily re-written script...it most likely would have given the creative team more time to develop those individual story beats. If Venom wasn't in the film, who would be to say that Harry's amnesia would have made it into the film at all? Same with the Uncle Ben retcon thing. Re-writing a script is like going back and time and changing something in the timeline in a Back to the Future movie. You change one tiny element, and a lot can start to unravel. You change one big element (changing the central antagonist to an elderly inventor to an aggressive outer-space alien possessing Peter's close personal colleague) and it unravels everything.

Remember without Venom, we wouldn't have gotten the symbiote. Without the symbiote, we wouldn't have gotten Eddie, Evil-Peter who took up much of the story....the changes Venom's implementation made to the story were unquestionably countless and wildly far-reaching, with the symbiote, corruption theme becoming the core element of the movie. As such, it seems deeply unfair to judge Raimi for elements of the film that had nothing to do with Venom, given how much Venom's last-minute inclusion doubtlessly affected that movie on a colossal scale.

tbh I want a campy as hell sinister six movie that is basically the 'ocean's 11' kinda concept they originally talked about, except every single villain is played by an out gay actor who's been on broadway for a good long time

so like nathan lane, alan cumming, victor garber, harvey fierstein, derek jacobi, david hyde pierce

It would be great if captain America is acting as a mentor to a young Spider-Man. It would be better if Captain America gets the symbiot first instead of Parker. And now I'm just writing fan fiction.

Anyways when is the Lasher movie?

It would be great if captain America is acting as a mentor to a young Spider-Man. It would be better if Captain America gets the symbiot first instead of Parker. And now I'm just writing fan fiction.

Anyways when is the Lasher movie?

Cap gets the symbiote who reveals his inner beast and finally we will get the on-screen Cap Wolf that this wretched world deserves. I'm in.

Capwolf-2.jpg

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I was so excited for MCU Spidey stuff.

Guess I'll have to be fine with my one movie.

6! we'll have 6 mcu outings
civil war
homecoming
iw1
iw2
homecoming 2
homecoming 3

then sony can do whatever they want and the mcu will keep on keepin on

Dayum Tom you're gonna be Spider-Man for a good 20 years buddy.

he'll have to cut a deal after sm 3 and they better hope they have a decent track record on hand at that point

if venom is at 16% rt and the black and silver movie doesnt take off what will make tom sign on?

Layell

Man I must be missing something here, why do people hate the symbiote characters like Venom and Carange?

Sony has a fetish for Venom, who was shoved into Spiderman 3.

Venom is also a very big 90s edge. I like the character but not sure Sony will do a great job in film.

Man I must be missing something here, why do people hate the symbiote characters like Venom and Carange?

Spider-Man comics weren't the greatest in the 90s. Actually, they were mostly trash aside from a few exceptions. Not that you can't tell good stories with these characters (many writers have from what I understand) but Carnage and Venom carry a stigma of 90s edginess for certain readers.

So is Spiderman not in future marvel movies after homecoming? I'm so confused with whatever the hell Sony is trying to do here. I wish it was completely in Marvel's hands.

Blader

Like I said, if Venom wasn't forced into a hastily re-written script...it most likely would have given the creative team more time to develop those individual story beats. If Venom wasn't in the film, who would be to say that Harry's amnesia would have made it into the film at all? Same with the Uncle Ben retcon thing. Re-writing a script is like going back and time and changing something in the timeline in a Back to the Future movie. You change one tiny element, and a lot can start to unravel. You change one big element (changing the central antagonist to an elderly inventor to an aggressive outer-space alien possessing Peter's close personal colleague) and it unravels everything.

Remember without Venom, we wouldn't have gotten the symbiote. Without the symbiote, we wouldn't have gotten Eddie, Evil-Peter who took up much of the story....the changes Venom's implementation made to the story were unquestionably countless and wildly far-reaching, with the symbiote, corruption theme becoming the core element of the movie. As such, it seems deeply unfair to judge Raimi for elements of the film that had nothing to do with Venom, given how much Venom's last-minute inclusion doubtlessly affected that movie on a colossal scale.

Venom was a stand in for the Vulture. The reason why his inclusion into the story is so sloppy because the story was literally written without him. They removed the Vulture stuff (who would've also been a thinly developed character, but it's Vulture so who cares) and added Venom in his place, who needs a hell of a lot more set up -- like you said, that means introducing Eddie, introducing the symbiote, etc. But none of that really touches the decision to give Harry amnesia or make Sandman killer, which were always Raimi's ideas to reopen some of the relationships and motivations from the first movie. It seems perfectly fair to me to judge the elements of the film that had nothing to do with Venom when, in the case of both Harry and Sandman, we knew those were Raimi's ideas right from the start.

So is Spiderman not in future marvel movies after homecoming? I'm so confused with whatever the hell Sony is trying to do here. I wish it was completely in Marvel's hands.

Spider-Man will be in a sequel movie and Avengers 3 and 4. Maybe others. There will most likely be a third film after Homecoming's sequel.

The Sony-made spinoffs will feature Tom Holland's Spider-Man so they technically take place in the same universe but do not expect them to reference the wider MCU and vice-versa. To the rest of the MCU those movies may as well not exist.

Slayven

Well they deal with the fact that Venom and Carnage are seen as sexual deviants by their race? Them working with humans is like someone fucking their steak instead of eating it.

Snaku

Banned
Spider-man 2 should be Maximum Carnage, while the third should be the Sinister Six. You're welcome, Sony.

Laplasakos

Spider-man 2 should be Maximum Carnage, while the third should be the Sinister Six. You're welcome, Sony.

Nah, having Carnage in Spider Man 2 would be way too early. Probably in Spider Man 3 with Spider Man 4 having Spider-Carnage and multiverse Peter Parkers by bringing Maguire and Garfield back.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
DO NOT FUCKING USE MYSTERIO.

Let Marvel Studios do something with him in one of the Homecoming sequels. Sony, do not use him. Fuck up Kraven if you must, but you don't touch Mysterio.

ZeroGravity

The Sony-made spinoffs will feature Tom Holland's Spider-Man so they technically take place in the same universe but do not expect them to reference the wider MCU and vice-versa. To the rest of the MCU those movies may as well not exist.
You can call them what they are: Hollywood fanfiction.

Sounds great, though I'd preferred if they had continued the amazing spiderman series.. At least rounded off the trilogy so they could have closed some of their multi movie story lines.

But come on. A tom hardy venom with carnage has potential. I hope they turn out great

tbh I want a campy as hell sinister six movie that is basically the 'ocean's 11' kinda concept they originally talked about, except every single villain is played by an out gay actor who's been on broadway for a good long time

so like nathan lane, alan cumming, victor garber, harvey fierstein, derek jacobi, david hyde pierce

Oh my god I would be so down for this. Who would be playing who??

Can Nathan Lane sing in it?? Please???

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
A peak into Feige's thoughts at that very moment:

"The Aunt May movie is coming, isn't it? Oh no, I hope they don't know about Mark Millar's Trouble. Dear God, please, take me now if they do..."

i chuckled. then i realized just how terrible what you said was

Top Bottom