• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's Spider-Man Movie-verse Will Feature Carnage, and May Include Kraven, Mysterio

Dalek

Sony's Spider-Man Movie-verse Will Feature Carnage, and May Include Kraven and Mysterio Films

The still atrociously named “Sony’s Marvel Universe” is getting bigger. Sony has lifted the lid off the future of its Spider-Man movies after Homecoming, and it seems like Peter Parker is going to have a lot on his plate, with not just future MCU adventures, but some of his most iconic foes coming to the silver screen.

A far reaching new story from The Hollywood Reporter about Sony Pictures CEO Tom Rothman’s plans for moving forward in the studio’s deal with Marvel to make (and still own the rights to) new films with the most popular superhero on the planet paints a pretty rosy picture for the post-Homecoming world.

Firstly, after Homecoming producer and former Sony Pictures head Amy Pascal’s comments over the weekend, there’s confirmation that Sony is planning on having Tom Holland’s Peter Parker appear in its spinoff movies like Silver and Black or Venom, as well as having him continue to appear in Marvel team movies like Infinity War and beyond. Homecoming’s sequel will also share the love: another MCU Avenger (not Robert Downey Jr.’s Iron Man) will make an appearance alongside Peter. Maybe Steve Rogers, given we heard rumors he could’ve been in Homecoming at one point beyond his minor cameo?

But despite confirmation that we can expect some Spider-Man in these movies, Sony’s spinoffs will still seemingly continue to focus on the character’s roster of villains. THR’s story confirms that Carnage—the much more unstable and violent symbiote-hosted villain—will be a part of Tom Hardy’s Venom film. Meanwhile, more standalone projects are currently in the works beyond the currently announced Silver and Black and Venom: including two which focus on longstanding Spidey villains and regular Sinister Six members Kraven the Hunter and Mysterio.

Platy

I would be happier if it was "will feature kraven and mysterio, may include carnage" =P

But carnage makes sense for venom to have a villain...

DCnHW2kXkAA2DRV.jpg

Totally backwards. "May" include Kraven and Mysterio. More like "Fuck yeah, we got Kraven and Mysterio. Oh and maybe Carnage in 100 years after we've exhausted all other options twice."

Gin-Shiio

I don't care about superhero movies these days, but I would gladly watch a movie promimently featuring Carnage. It's the 90s kid in me that wants Maximum Carnage on the big screen.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Sure, go for it. We get like 10 superhero movies a year. So it Sony wants to throw money at these pipedream projects, best of luck to them. I know they think they're being forward thinking with their Sony Spider-Man Universe, but they're regressing. This all sounds about as interesting as an Elektra movie without Daredevil.

Sephzilla

Raimi: Okay Sony, I've got this really neat idea for Spiderman 3. Now hear me out, Ben Kingsley as the Vulture teaming up with-

Sony: Make it Venom.

Raimi: But...

Sony: MAKE IT VENOM!!!

*Shrug*

I know I'm in the minority with this but I still maintain that most of Spider-Man 3's problems were on Raimi's side of the story and not the Venom side of the story. Plus I wanted to see one of Spidey's bigger name villains get screen time instead of Raimi digging down in the B and C tier

You know how movie buffs have been predicting audience fatigue for super hero films? Other studios are like "nah", but Sony's committed to making it happen.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Marvel gets to make 3 Spidey Team Ups and then we all can move on from this

I hope Feige carved out a handful of villains they want to se in the MCU so Sony can plan around it

Cool. Can I enjoy the first movie, maybe? Thanks.

Marvel's got Holland & crew tied up every year until 2020. I think we can at least make it to smh2 before Sony starts ruining it again

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I mean, if Mysterio didn't already make that list, I would find that cause for concern.

we got

Chameleon
Scorpion
Tombstone
Electro & Doc Ock (if they are so bold)

that can be enough for me, as sad as i will be at Sony fucking Kraven & Mysterio up

SpaceWolf

Banned
Spider-Man 3 sucked but not necessarily because of Venom being jammed in there, it was mostly the non Venom stuff which I imagine was more Raimi's creative side of things.

You mean the non Venom-related stuff that couldn't get developed properly because Venom was shoehorned into the picture as the film's central antagonist by corporate mandate, which as a result led to the script having to be completely re-written and ensuring a relatively rushed production?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
What's with the Venom obsession at Sony? Is there a Venom cosplay fetishist on the board?

Remember all the hub hub about Life being a possible Venom prequel ? maybe that rumor caught traction at Sony and they wanna tie that in somehow.

Life movie ending spoiler
The martian life form reaches earth in the end so we already have half of it figured out.

Blader

You mean the non Venom-related stuff that couldn't get developed properly because Venom was shoehorned into the picture as the film's central antagonist by corporate mandate, which as a result led to the script having to be completely re-written and ensuring a relatively rushed production?

Was the Venom stuff really cramping some of the other, uh, questionable narrative decisions, like giving Harry amnesia or retconning Sandman as Uncle Ben's killer?

Top Bottom