• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's Partnership with Square Enix Has Never Been Stronger, Says Jim Ryan

Kvally

Banned
PlayStation bigwig Jim Ryan made a surprise appearance during Final Fantasy 16’s pre-launch livestream overnight, where he said that his company’s relationship with publisher Square Enix has “never been stronger”. In the brief speech, he mentioned that Sony’s collaboration with the company “goes back to the start of PlayStation’s existence” and that he values “everything we do together and your commitment to our brand and business”.

If you read between the lines you could come to the conclusion that more console exclusives may be coming – at this point, we honestly wouldn’t be surprised if Kingdom Hearts 4 got money hatted as well.

Either way, it’s clear that the two juggernauts are thick as thieves right now. It’ll be interesting to see how this relationship matures throughout the remainder of the generation.

As long as we keep getting great games from them, whatever works!

Hats full of money tend to have that effect
Yeah, what Sony is doing " paying hats full of money" to secure a game as a timed exclusive ( what MS has also be doing for years and years) is far far more worse.
Its far more worse then MS paying billions of dollars for third party studios and 67 billion for a complete publishers and erase them from Playstation.Arrogant Sony is doing it again...🙄

Nautilus

Banned
We know that Jim. Don't boost it. Square is a sucker for you guys. Just buy them.
Season 5 No GIF by The Office

Unknown?

Square and Sony have certainly got pretty tight, which is good if you game on PS5 and love JRPGs.

Similarly Atlus/Sega have also got really close as well.
I like seeing these partnerships.
Reminds me of the Namco/PS1 collaboration.
So they don't get bought out and taken away like Ready at Dawn or Bethesda.

SSfox

Sony and Square are like Leon and Ada.

Just kept flirting for years, like just kiss, fuck Marry already and have kids, wtf!!!

Last edited:
That's just PR talk. Objectively it isn't true.

During the PS1 days literally every game was a PS1 exclusive, even with the PS2 almost every game was a PS2 exclusive and Sony at a point owned a large percentage of Square (I believe it was 18 percent). Sony also distributed
Square's Final Fantasy film.

The idea that their partnership has never been stronger while a number of games release on the Switch exclusively and MOST of their games are multiplatform, I just think it's a bit nonsense.
Do you really wanna compare the budget games cost in the 90's and currently?
The fact Sony gets console exclusives like FFXVI, FFVII Remake and Rebirth, Forspoken (it sucked but i'm sure it was expensive), etc shows that indeed their partnership was never this strong.

Compare it with the PS3 days at least...

Some of you guys are too young to remember but the day FFXIII was announced for Xbox 360 it was just too much for some people to deal with. lmao. Compare that wth how things are currently.

Last edited:
Yeah, no shit dude we all know that. Thanks for stopping games certain games on Xbox. It gets one FF7 game but not the others, that’s just a dick move same with FF16 but hey you guys are scared cuse MS is gonna dominate if they buy Activision.
I by no means condone this by Sony as do not think it's good for consumers or the industry at large, but good lord, I think some of you really just need to look at the bigger picture.

MS has already bought and is trying to buy another large PUBLISHER. Not a single game or franchise but full scale publishers. Games that will be locked to their ecosystem and not allowed on playstation (obviously subject to change in the future but as of now not expected to be ported over).

This complaining about FF7 and 16, ya know, franchises heavily associated with playstation and when games are are multiplat sell what 85%ish on PS compared to the Xbox is just super fucking weird to me. It comes across as a total fake outrage that seems to impact such a small amount of users, that I just don't understand why I see so many on gaf complain about it.

SkylineRKR

With FFVII R and FFXVI its indeed looking like the PS1 and PS2 days again. Its simply a reflection of the market. Sony was in a bad place with PS3 while 360 did well, and Square simply wanted that share too. It obviously didn't pan out as good as they hoped, with XV only selling 20% on Xbox.

For me it makes sense FFXVI appears only on PS5 for now, 80% of the sales would be here anyway and Sony will ofcourse push it more since its a big exclusive for them. It probably more than offsets the costs of having to port and market an Xbox version.

I'm really glad Square Enix sold all of their best IP and studios so now when Sony eventually buys them Xbox gamers won't really lose anything that they already weren't getting via exclusivity deals (to clarify I equally hate when Microsoft does exclusivity deals not singling out Sony). Hopefully whatever expanded partnership this is will help make Final Fantasy relevant again for the first time in like 20 years

So they don't get bought out and taken away like Ready at Dawn or Bethesda.
You would hope that if they have a really good relationship with Square, and then they decide they want to sell, Sony will be the first phone call they make.

Sony fucked up with Ready at Dawn. Because the game didn't score well, Sony backed away from them and then Facebook slid into their DMs.
RAD would have been a super pick up, as they do VR and showed they can do a console game as well.

Unknown?

You would hope that if they have a really good relationship with Square, and then they decide they want to sell, Sony will be the first phone call they make.

Sony fucked up with Ready at Dawn. Because the game didn't score well, Sony backed away from them and then Facebook slid into their DMs.
RAD would have been a super pick up, as they do VR and showed they can do a console game as well.
Maybe but if the shareholders find out they didn't shop around or went with Sony despite a better offer, they'll get sued like crazy.

Maybe but if the shareholders find out they didn't shop around or went with Sony despite a better offer, they'll get sued like crazy.
Sure, but there is ways around it. The board puts what they consider to be the best proposal to the shareholders to vote on. That best proposal might not be just $$, but it could be that Sony have guaranteed to keel all jobs in Japan, or they are going to close the deal in a shorter amount of time etc etc.
Not only that but they can.always go back to Sony and say, "hey, MS has offered 2 billion more, can you match?"

Top Bottom