• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony signs agreement with MS to keep COD on PS

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
SshlfLC.jpg

Just remember. This is the ultimate winner, consumers are not winning anything here 😂.

MarkMe2525

That's 3 years of cod compared to 10.
If I have my facts straight (probably not), there was another deal offered after the one shown here. I don't know if we are privy to the details, but what we do know is it also included 10 years of CoD. Now if this other deal is functionally the same as the one signed today, we do not know. All we have atm is the info Tom provided.

Last edited:

Godot25

Banned
It wasn't just about COD or Activision. It's about what could potentially happen in the future. This deal essentially opens the door to future monopolies and more games going exclusive. The judge made it clear that she thinks it's good for gaming... when it truly isn't. The judge was clearly biased and only saw the deal through Microsoft because they can't compete through hard work.
Jesus. What a bunch of bullshit.

Yeah. Judge was biased, appeal judges were biased, EU Commission is biased, every other regulator that approved the deal is biased.

It's just FTC with their "every company with market cap of 1 trillion should be broken up" mantra that is right.

No regulator even cared about console gaming in the end. Even CMA that blocked the deal did it on basis of cloud gaming...gaming that is currently 50 million dollars per year for Microsoft.

Fabieter

Yeah that email is dated January, its before they offered 10 years. I thought it was dated at some point in the mid of last year.

We can't really know except the exact contract deals from any offer leaks and that won't happen.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
So without the third party revenue stream, Sony can survive on "great single player games". That's what you're saying. But even Sony themselves disagree.

No, that's not what I'm saying at all. Not even remotely what I said. Sony depends greatly on third party games. But as far as their first party games are concerned, single player games have been their own cash cow. Gaas games are not where their first party has excelled.

No, that's not what I'm saying at all. Not even remotely what I said. Sony depends greatly on third party games. But as far as their first party games are concerned, single player games have been their own cash cow.
If that were true, they wouldn't be making a hard shift into funding their own live service games. Companies don't just make these calls for no reason.

Godot25

Banned
Sounds like the deal got worse from what they were originally offered. Sony overplayed their hand badly.

There is no good reaction on this other then to laugh...
...how Sony overplayed their hand in attempt to block this deal and how it now bites them in the ass
...how Sony made it entirely about Call of Duty while ABK has more games to care about.

It will give Microsoft a strategic choice what to do with future ABK titles. I expect live services to being released on PlayStation in the future... Games like Diablo IV, Overwatch 2 etc. But games like new Crash, that RPG Infinity Ward is making...that would probably end up being exclusives.

Topher

Gold Member
If that were true, they wouldn't be making a hard shift into funding their own live service games. Companies don't just make these calls for no reason.

Like I said, it is a gamble. Look at how long Factions is taking to get done. Plenty of companies have made Gaas games that failed. Sony is obviously hoping for the next Fortnite, but they could end up with the next Marvel Avengers.

Zok310

Banned
There is no good reaction on this other then to laugh...
...how Sony overplayed their hand in attempt to block this deal and how it now bites them in the ass
...how Sony made it entirely about Call of Duty while ABK has more games to care about.

It will give Microsoft a strategic choice what to do with future ABK titles. I expect live services to being released on PlayStation in the future... Games like Diablo IV, Overwatch 2 etc. But games like new Crash, that RPG Infinity Ward is making...that would probably end up being exclusives.

Which is better?

Getting cod and other abk games upto 2027

Or

Getting cod up to 2033

Keep in mind cod launches every year and the other games are maybe once a gen.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
...how Sony made it entirely about Call of Duty while ABK has more games to care about..
Activision has no other games. it was already reported that every single studio at Activision was working on cod titles a couple of years ago.

you simply cant make these massive yearly games with sp and coop campaigns, mp and warzone with just one studio per game.

Blizzard has stuff like diablo which comes out once every 12 years and warcraft has nothing to do with consoles.

Topher

Gold Member
10 years of CoD + 3 years of all other Activision games, no ?

I'm trying to think of what games Activision Blizzard franchises currently on PlayStation will have releases between now and 2027 that are the equivalent in scope and revenue of COD on PS through 2033.

MarkMe2525

We do know that ms only committed to cod on switch. They even had to correct themselves because they initially said its all games for switch.
Personally, I think Phil gave them the same proposed agreement from Dec 2022. It would allow them to start this new venture with Sony on the right foot. Sony didn't get any better terms, but they also didn't get any worse. That's just my guess.

Like I said, it is a gamble. Look at how long Factions is taking to get done. Plenty of companies have made Gaas games that failed. Sony is obviously hoping for the next Fortnite, but they could end up with the next Marvel Avengers.
It's not a gamble at this point - it's a necessity. Horizon Zero Dawn and God of War isn't going to cut it.

Godot25

Banned
Activision has no other games. it was already reported that every single studio at Activision was working on cod titles a couple of years ago.

you simply cant make these massive yearly games with sp and coop campaigns, mp and warzone with just one studio per game.

Blizzard has stuff like diablo which comes out once every 12 years and warcraft has nothing to do with consoles.
Ehhh. Yeah
Toys for Bob just recently released that Crash game....that is not Call of Duty
Infinity Ward is working on RPG game (but I need to add that this is rumor)
Blizzard is making that survival game Odyssey
There is rumor of new Spyro game
There is rumor of new Starcraft game (although nobody knows if it will be RTS or some kind of another Starcraft project)

But yeah. Only games that they are releasing are COD games.

Also. I want to point out that even ABK management wanted skip 2023 for new COD game probably because they knew that it is untenable to release new COD games every year. So I fully expect COD to switch to bi-annual series in future and support studios like Toys for Bob, High Moon etc. being released from their "COD obligations"

Loxus

Sounds like the deal got worse from what they were originally offered. Sony overplayed their hand badly.

Out of all Activision games, COD is the most valuable to Jim Ryan.
COD until 2027 vs until 2033, I don't know how that's a worst deal in Jim Ryan's eyes.

COD until 2027 vs until 2033, I don't know how that's a worst deal in Jim Ryan's eyes.
It's a shittier deal for sure, losing more potential third party game options is a bad look to any consumer.

Blizzard games are huge. I think it is a big loss not having the next Diablo, for example.

GHG

Gold Member
But who in there right mind would buy COD for 89.99$ CAD for PS when you can have it on game pass that’s the question.

Games that release on gamepass still sell on other platforms/storefronts. Hence their first party games even manage to sell well on Steam.

Not everybody wants to be trapped renting in the Xbox ecosystem.

Zok310

Banned
Exactly, people are seeking attention or cant read. This is better. Fuck all the other games, get the bag aka cod for as long as possible

Last edited:

sinnergy

I am pretty sure , they have lots of games .. but this will be the narrative going forward I guess .

Topher

Gold Member
There could be more Diablo 4 content though.

Sure, but stuff like that doesn't come close to the amount of revenue COD is going to bring the next 10 years. Now if I were a PS only gamer (thankfully not) then I'd prefer the 2027 deal as I don't play COD, but from a business standpoint, Call of Duty is more important than ABK's other franchises by far.

feynoob

Gold Member
Exactly, people are seeking attention or cant read. This is better. Fuck all the other games, get the bag aka cod for as long as possible
Yearly COD will bring more money compared to these games.

Sony will essentially get 1.5b+ yearly until 2033.
That is 15+b revenue on their platform or 4.5b+ after their cut.

Last edited:

Loxus

It's a shittier deal for sure, losing more potential third party game options is a bad look to any consumer.
2027 is only 4 years away.
After that, all Activision games become exclusive. Ain't no way you're trying to make losing 3rd party franchises sound good.

In Jim eyes, since PlayStation is losing future games within 4 years, might at least keep the most popular for PlayStation fans until 2033.

There is no win for Jim either way, all Activision games become exclusive sooner or later.

Top Bottom