• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Q2 FY2019 Results ($1.75B Profit, +8.6% YoY, Best Profit ever for Q2, PS4: 2.8m)

ethomaz

Banned
v4bwE_.gif

All the data:

Sony Revenue : ¥2122.3bn / $19.76B (-2.8% YoY from ¥2182.8bn / $19.58B - Q2 FY2018)
Sony Operating Profit : ¥279bn / $2.60B (+16.5% YoY from ¥239.5bn / $2.15B - Q2 FY2018)
Sony Net Profit : ¥187.9bn / $1.75B (+8.6% YoY from ¥173bn / $1.55B - Q2 FY2018)
  • 2nd Best Revenue ever for Sony during Q2
  • Best Operating Profit and Net Profit ever for Sony during Q2
Sony

1572442087-capture-d-ecran-2019-10-30-a-14-27-53.png

1572417608-capture-d-ecran-2019-10-30-a-07-39-00.png

Gaming Division

1572421698-capture-d-ecran-2019-10-30-a-08-47-48.png

1572421700-capture-d-ecran-2019-10-30-a-08-48-03.png

1572416864-capture-d-ecran-2019-10-30-a-07-27-29.png

PS. Shameless took the uploaded pics from ArmGunar in ERA.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
If arrogant Sony had embraced crossplay in all their titles, every single one of those numbers could have had the decimal moved over one spot to the right.

Not impressed.

sarcarm alert

Vawn

Banned
cute.

For comparison: Microsoft made $10.7 billion profit in the same quarter.

Do you have a poster of Bill Gates over your bed?

Who here really cares about Microsoft vs Sony? If Microsoft never released Xbox and Sony never released PlayStation would you care? No.

It's about video games. PlayStation is the most successful gaming platform ever and has become the most important part of Sony as a whole. Xbox, has always been an afterthought for Microsoft, and lately they've proven it continues to mean less and less to them.

Bryank75

Banned
Great results. The stock is way up today.
It's up like 20% this year, I believe.

Next year gaming will do huge numbers with all that's going to happen.

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some
Let me see...

Microsoft Market Cap: $1098B
Sony Market Cap: 74.593B

MS is ~14,72x bigger than Sony lol
MS Profit is only ~6,11x bigger than Sony Profit.

That means MS by its size profited pretty little compared with Sony in last quarter.
Sony keep winning.
So according to you Amazon is also losing as it made very little profit last quarter. There are more factors at play than only profit. I’d have a lot more faith investing in amazon stock than Sony long term as the fact their profit is so low right now means nothing long term.

Not saying Sony numbers are bad right now, but your observation doesn’t really prove anything.

ethomaz

Banned
So according to you Amazon is also losing as it made very little profit last quarter. There are more factors at play than only profit. I’d have a lot more faith investing in amazon stock than Sony long term as the fact their profit is so low right now means nothing long term.

Not saying Sony numbers are bad right now, but your observation doesn’t really prove anything.
Why did you not quote the other dude? :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I'm playing with his trolling rules.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
cute.

For comparison: Microsoft made $10.7 billion profit in the same quarter.

Cute.

In gaming thy wish thy were making the profits Sony was. Remember we had the yearly stats few months ago and Sony was making way more revenue and profit in gaming than Microsoft. Hence Microsoft later coming out saying thy will no longer share those numbers 😂😂😂😂

It's OK to cry into your pillow at night knowing this 😂😂😂

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
BTW I love how Playstation and gaming is leading the charge because it makes Sony as a whole focused on gaming which bodes well for us. They know what the backbone of the company is and thy need to come out being enticing and better and better.

Bryank75

Banned

Actually, in my opinion you'd be very unfortunate to invest money in Amazon as they are part of the 'index bubble'.

The reason Microsoft, Apple, Amazon and Google are so valuable right now is due to Mutual funds and institutions that simply invest in 'indexed shares', a package of roughly 10 stocks that reflect the overall market closely.

For this reason the actual value of the stocks has been lost because there is no due diligence or technical / fundamental assessment of the health and potential of the business. Sony is not in any of these packages and is therefor a company people need to go and look for analyse and invest in specifically....

If you look on youtube for Michael Burry, there are videos where he explains what is happening. He predicted the last two recessions and why they would occur and is featured in the film, The Big Short.

I would avoid all investments in Apple, MS, Amazon, Google, Facebook and the other usual suspects.

thelastword

Banned
Sony keeps breaking records and pushing gaming forward...... Thanks Sony for PS4 and PSVR.... which have brought us the best games this gen.... I guess gamers rewards great games and Sony will do nothing more but continue to bring gamers the best games.....

And don't you dare think this gen is over either, some of Sony's best games have not even landed yet...... Probably it's best game this entire gen lands in May next year......This gaming train that is PS4, has so many offering plates to collect on the way... Sony has so much more profit and revenue to collect from the console juggernaut that is PS4......

Thanks to Cerny et al.... for providing great stable hardware this gen, from day 1.....

Gamernyc78

Banned
Sony keeps breaking records and pushing gaming forward...... Thanks Sony for PS4 and PSVR.... which have brought us the best games this gen.... I guess gamers rewards great games and Sony will do nothing more but continue to bring gamers the best games.....

And don't you dare think this gen is over either, some of Sony's best games have not even landed yet...... Probably it's best game this entire gen lands in May next year......This gaming train that is PS4, has so many offering plates to collect on the way... Sony has so much more profit and revenue to collect from the console juggernaut that is PS4......

Thanks to Cerny et al.... for providing great stable hardware this gen, from day 1.....

In Cerny, Sony first party devs and their innovative team which brought us psvr (first VR on console) we trust!

This isn't about brand loyalty but loyalty to quality.

ethomaz

Banned
Just to add some more insight...

- Game division is down basically because it is late of the gen

Hey but they had record Q2?

- The image sensor (for Smartphones, câmeras, and others gadgets) division shot up 59% in profit being the biggest mover in the record Q2

gsmarena_002.png

Last edited:

Dabaus

Banned
The difference between sony's 1.5 billion this quarter vs MS 10 billion, is that sony invests alot of that money into Playstation where as MS gives The xbox division a shoe string budget, relative to the billions they make. Do i have definitive proof of this? No i dont but its the way it seems.

Bryank75

Banned
The difference between sony's 1.5 billion this quarter vs MS 10 billion, is that sony invests alot of that money into Playstation where as MS gives The xbox division a shoe string budget, relative to the billions they make. Do i have definitive proof of this? No i dont but its the way it seems.

Reuters says that they made 2.5 Billion dollars / 2 Billion pounds.

Where did you see 1.5?

Dargor

Man, gone are the days insurance was the most profitable part of Sony, this can only mean good things for Playstation.

ethomaz

Banned
Reuters says that they made 2.5 Billion dollars / 2 Billion pounds.

Where did you see 1.5?
Sony Revenue : ¥2122.3bn / $19.76B (-2.8% YoY from ¥2182.8bn / $19.58B - Q2 FY2018)
Sony Operating Profit : ¥279bn / $2.60B (+16.5% YoY from ¥239.5bn / $2.15B - Q2 FY2018)
Sony Net Profit : ¥187.9bn / $1.75B (+8.6% YoY from ¥173bn / $1.55B - Q2 FY2018)

The $2.6m is Operation Incoming/Profit... Net Profit is $1.75m.

mejin

With all the push on gamepass, hardwares, softwares and acquisitions I'd bet MS is burning mountains of money, maybe even more than sony. The difference is they still don't understand the market as much as sony.

Grinchy

Banned
They've really turned themselves around. It would be really interesting if we could compare these numbers to the same ones 10 years ago.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Let me see...

Microsoft Market Cap: $1098B
Sony Market Cap: 74.593B

MS is ~14,72x bigger than Sony lol
MS Profit is only ~6,11x bigger than Sony Profit.

That means MS by its size profited pretty little compared with Sony in last quarter.
Sony keep winning.
More like MS winning.

The reason why MS has a bigger multiple is because MS grows sales and profit, are more reliable, make triple the profit margin and unlike Sony doesn't lose money some years.

Latest annual report

MS sales $125 billion
MS profit $39 billion (31%)

Sony sales $73 billion
Sony profit $9 billion (12%)

About 10 years ago, both MS and Sony had about $70 billion of sales. MS has grown a lot since. Sony is basically where it was in 2009. In the modern era of tech loving people, how the fuck can a company not grow sales in 10 years?

But good try ethomaz! lol

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
More like MS winning.

The reason why MS has a bigger multiple is because MS grows sales and profit, are more reliable, make triple the profit margin and unlike Sony doesn't lose money some years.

Latest annual report

MS sales $125 billion

Sony sales $73 billion

About 10 years ago, both MS and Sony had about $70 billion of sales. MS has grown a lot since. Sony is basically where it was in 2009. In the modern era of tech loving people, how the fuck can a company not grow sales in 10 years?

A company 14x bigger doing only 6x more profit.

Nice try.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
A company 14x bigger doing only 6x more profit.

Nice try.
By market cap. Not sales.

High market cap shows strength in a company.

If Sony makes 1/6 the profit, but is 1/14 the market cap of MS (your numbers), it means nobody gives a shit about Sony. MS also pays a lot more dividends which it can afford due to the endless money they make.

MS pays out more money in dividends than Sony makes in a full year of profit.

But good try ethomaz. You're getting there.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned

If Sony makes 1/6 the profit, but is 1/14 the market cap of MS (your numbers), it means nobody gives a shit about Sony. MS also pays a lot more dividends which it can afford due to the endless money they make.

You are confusing things here.

MS is way bigger and have way more business than Sony and that shows in Market Cap.
But MS can't make profit this quarter in the same proportion than Sony... the smaller and less business Sony were more efficient than the more and bigger business of MS.

Sony $1.75b profit is way more impressive than these $10b profit from MS.

But keep trying.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned

No, I explained this earlier.

There is an index bubble due to mutual funds and institutions investing in indexed stocks... a group of ten or so stocks including Google, Microsoft, Amazon, Apple, Berkshire Hathaway etc.

These companies get automatic investments of huge amounts due to them reflecting the overall market closely / mainly due to their inflated size. There are no fundamental analysis done by each investor, like they would need to do for Sony.

So people actually need to go out there and look for Sony stock and decide it is a good investment by themselves.

When the index bubble bursts, the Googles, Apples and MS's will be hurting badly.

Elenchus

Banned
Sony is doing well enough but if you compare the two of them on Robinhood MS is just on another level in terms of earnings and profitability.

7vIvgvc.png

N1WTgha.png

MS is just an automatic buy. Is what it is.

E74eFoQ.png

dfN1EfO.png

Gamernyc78

Banned
Sony is doing well enough but if you compare the two of them on Robinhood MS is just on another level in terms of earnings and profitability.

7vIvgvc.png

N1WTgha.png

MS is just an automatic buy. Is what it is.

E74eFoQ.png

dfN1EfO.png

Again this is a gaming forum and Sony is just on another level in revenue and profit in the gaming division. What's up with all this extra crap about Microsoft as a whole? Each Dept or section in a company has their own budgets, profits, revenues, etc tht get analyzed and cannot count on tht large pot to fill in places they lack. We are in a gaming forum talking about gaming divisions where Microsoft has been getting spanked to the point Microsoft doesn't want to show those numbers moving forward.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Again this is a gaming forum and Sony is just on another level in revenue and profit in the gaming division. What's up with all this extra crap about Microsoft as a whole? Each Dept or section in a company has their own budgets, profits, revenues, etc tht get analyzed and cannot count on tht large pot to fill in places they lack. We are in a gaming forum talking about gaming divisions where Microsoft has been getting spanked to the point Microsoft doesn't want to show those numbers moving forward.
The reason why MS is brought up is because the thread title and half of the OP post is Sony financials as a whole company.

So if the entire Sony company is being discussed, the entire MS company is being discussed as a comparison.

Last edited:

Mattyp

Gold Member
No, I explained this earlier.

There is an index bubble due to mutual funds and institutions investing in indexed stocks... a group of ten or so stocks including Google, Microsoft, Amazon, Apple, Berkshire Hathaway etc.

When the index bubble bursts, the Googles, Apples and MS's will be hurting badly.

This isn't great advice at all, MS & AMAZON stock are where they are because 90% of the worlds services and markets now rely on them to run their business. Every business in the world in one way or another is affected by these companies and that's shown in the market caps. Apple was over valued, they like Sony only have one real stream of income and that stream of income doesn't affect the global marketplace, either company could be overtaken tomorrow by their competitors.

I feel Burry has no real grasp on the real world uses of these companies if he doesn't understand why they continue to grow at such rapid rates each quarter in revenue, their share price is only a reflection of that. Passive equity fund assets have only dropped since 2017 when we've seen tremendous growth in all these companies. Otherwise if you could let us know when he or you think the index bubble will burst so we can bet against it please tell.

In Cerny, Sony first party devs and their innovative team which brought us psvr (first VR on console) we trust!

This isn't about brand loyalty but loyalty to quality.
AMEN, BROTHERS
HWaQd6Z.png

“The all-time high Sony stock closing price was 156.75 on February 29, 2000.“

Sony’s biggest mistake is its focus on devices (engineering) when it should have been a digital platform (coding). I do feel like platforms like Google Facebook(Microsoft’s Puppy) Apple are about to be hit with some hard regulation. I see their value getting hit hard in a few years.

thelastword

Banned
More like MS winning.

Latest annual report

MS sales $125 billion

Sony sales $73 billion

Are you saying with these 5 big boy divisions that spans all over the world with the infinitely larger scope that the PC desktop has over consoles for work related and personal use, that this is all the sales and profit MS has over Sony?

Windows Division
Principal Products and Services: Windows operating system; Windows Services suite of applications and web services, including Outlook.com and SkyDrive; Surface RT and Pro devices; and PC accessories.

Server and Tools
Principal Products and Services: Windows Server operating systems; Windows Azure; Microsoft SQL Server; Windows Intune; Windows Embedded; Visual Studio; System Center products; Microsoft Consulting Services; and Premier product support services.

Online Services Division
Principal Products and Services: Bing; Bing Ads; and MSN.

Microsoft Business Division
Principal Products and Services: Microsoft Office; Microsoft Exchange; Microsoft SharePoint; Microsoft Lync; Yammer; Microsoft Office Project and Office Visio; Microsoft Dynamics ERP and Dynamics CRM; Microsoft Office 365, which is an online services offering of Microsoft Office, Exchange, SharePoint, Lync, and Microsoft Office Web Apps, which are the online companions to Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and OneNote.

Entertainment and Devices Division
Principal Products and Services: Xbox 360 gaming and entertainment console, Kinect for Xbox 360, Xbox 360 video games, Xbox 360 accessories; Xbox LIVE; Skype; and Windows Phone.

------------------------------------------------------
Do you know how wide a range these divisions cover across the world and you're boasting of these profits and sales over a console?

“The all-time high Sony stock closing price was 156.75 on February 29, 2000.“

Sony’s biggest mistake is its focus on devices (engineering) when it should have been a digital platform (coding). I do feel like platforms like Google Facebook(Microsoft’s Puppy) Apple are about to be hit with some hard regulation. I see their value getting hit hard in a few years.
Hardware is what Sony is good at. They are simply focusing on their strengths. Obviously it is important that they improve their coding, but not at the detriment of their hardware skills. PSVR is very well built for that reason, and basically pioneered the most comfortable VR headset design so far.

Top Bottom