• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: PS Store back by the end of this week for everyone except Japan, HK, and Korea

iammeiam

PortTwo said:
I still maintain that not a peep (or at best, a passing reference) will be said about the outage at their press conference.

I personally want to see Kevin Butler 'hack' his way into one of their bland "our products are awesome!" clip reels, or something. Try to have fun with it, at least, otherwise risk it being the elephant in the room.

I don't even understand how it can take this long to get an online store up. Of course I know none of the technical details I admit, but how many smart programmers and database experts do you need to get this thing up.

fernoca

What sucks is that Sony waits basically till the last minute to provide an update.
During the downtime/attack, they waited days to announce anything about it.

Then there were rumors (for days) that the Store would be back on May 24, and they waited till May 23 to say that it wouldn't be back on May 24.

Also said that everything would be restored "before the end of May", and they wait till May 31 too announce that things will be back....in a few days (i.e. early June).

Oh well..

Toki767

I don't think they ever really said everything would be back up. They were pretty precise in their wording using words like aiming or targeting. Those PR people are sneaky.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
XsxEc.png

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Saddy McSad. Really wanted to buy the LA Noire DLC before I finished the game for the first time. Still need to download the Yakuza 4 code that came with the game too.

Toki767 said:
I don't think they ever really said everything would be back up. They were pretty precise in their wording using words like aiming or targeting. Those PR people are sneaky.

Yeah "we're targeting the end of the month". They just have shitty "aim".

fernoca

Toki767 said:
Yep, but they still waited till May 31 to make such announcement...which is the thing. They could've said last week that they were now targeting "early June", instead of wait till the last day of May to admit that it won't be back at the end of May. (probably because people were expecting it to be back in the US on May 31, to coincide with the usual Tuesday-Store updates)

Toki767

fernoca said:
Yep, but they still waited till May 31 to make such announcement...which is the thing. They could've said last week that they were now targeting "early June", instead of wait till the last day of May to admit that it won't be back at the end of May. (probably because people were expecting it to be back in the US on May 31, to coincide with the usual Tuesday-Store updates)
I'm not particularly surprised they waited. From a PR standpoint it looks better to say the store will be back up by the end of the week rather than say that it'll be back up early June a week ago. Plus I'd imagine they probably didn't know themselves when they'd have the store ready to go back up.

With the welcome back items, isn't the store just going to get bogged down in the thousands of people trying to download Infamous at the same time? I just don't know how that's going to work out well at all. I hope I'm wrong.

Cels

Sony such a joke, waiting until May 31 to make an announcement that they missed their May 31 target date for having the store up.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
hlhbk said:
I called it weeks ago. PSN store being back up is gonna be one of their big E3 announcements. How sad.
What's really sad (or awesome depending on how you look at it) is if this is one of their conference announcements there will be a good number of people in the Sony thread posting "All is forgiven, Sony!" or "OMG! SONY WINS E3!"

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Anticitizen One said:
I kinda hope they don't even talk about it at e3. That time would be better spent moving forward and talking about new games

Atleast there's potential for Jack Tretton to make a joke about this situation, which will be followed by awkward silence and a golden E3 moment.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
BobTheFork said:
It's amazing what you have to say when people who don't understand the situation at all demand answers and deadline every second. They tried to stay quiet until they knew for show but that shit didn't fly either.

Bob, I've been quiet and waiting patiently

I understand that everything on Sony's side is gumdrops & lolipops, but seriously man, April 19th, today is the fucking 31st of May, 44 days...that shit is ridiculous

So add 3-4 more days we are close to reaching 50 Days...50 fucking days...your telling me a corporation like Sony is aloof and still figuring it out, as if the wires are criss-crossed and the code is still being though up of

At a point a person does get annoyed with a company who keeps promising, then pushes those deadlines over and over, and when it finally does say something, they go whoops LTTP but no, not ready yet

I was just joking about the greatest hits, but seriously man, you see no wrong doing on Sony's part to move this shit along
Before it was panic, then lulz to compensate/hide the pain, then the delays, more delays, parrtially up, promise of end of the month full restoration, nothing, nothing, oh hey LTTP but maybe end of the week, kthnxbye

You do realize the "Welcome Back" package, I and countless others (PSN+ full year) already have lost 11 days to the sub being active since May 20th
So are they gonna literally wait out the subs to match the blackout time
So April 19th - May 14th, so 25 days (times 2 a day = 50 days, I started with 60 down to 49 days on extension)

Clipper

GraveRobberX said:
You do realize the "Welcome Back" package, I and countless others (PSN+ full year) already have lost 11 days to the sub being active since May 20th
So are they gonna literally wait out the subs to match the blackout time
So April 19th - May 14th, so 25 days (times 2 a day = 50 days, I started with 60 down to 49 days on extension)
You're mistaken as to what the free 60 days means. The 60 days applies to your end date, so the fact it applied early means absolutely nothing. Every day without the store does mean we get less 'free' days compared to our non-PS+ friends, though, but it is very possible Sony might increase the number of free PS+ days when they do get the store up and running.

The way it works is that if the store does come up on the 31st somewhere, those of us who already had PS+ will have the time off compensated plus about 17 days extra as bonus. If it doesn't come back for a week, we'll have 10 days extra on top of compensation for the down time.

Using your logic, you could say the sub was actually active from the 20th of April, the day it went down.

HBroward

They should just not say anything until it is back up, then say "Hey, log in guys". Given all these self-imposed deadlines they keep missing, it doesn't fill me with hope this one will take.

HBroward said:
They should just not say anything until it is back up, then say "Hey, log in guys". Given all these self-imposed deadlines they keep missing, it doesn't fill me with hope this one will take.

You are in direct conflict with "feed me with info NOW" crowd.

HBroward

Dreamgazer said:
You are in direct conflict with "feed me with info NOW" crowd.

I'm actually in that camp as well, but if they aren't going to provide accurate info, they might as well just stay quiet I guess. At least it avoids any further appearance of incompetence.

snap0212

I'll freak out if it's really coming back on the 3rd. That would mean that Sony knew about missing the dead line all the time and that they gave out information about it to everyone but us gamers.

BeeDog

This is absolutely insane, and it's truly unbelievable how inept Sony are. I mean, how the hell will they placate all the devs (small and large) who wanted to release their shit on PSN? The only way is to pay big bucks to each and every one and then say "shut up".

At this rate, it feels like the PSN Store will be down until the end of eternity.

snap0212 said:
I'll freak out if it's really coming back on the 3rd. That would mean that Sony knew about missing the dead line all the time and that they gave out information about it to everyone but us gamers.

What do you mean by 3rd? End of the week = Sunday, 5th. :D

Alright this is getting silly.
No wait. It's been silly for OVER A FUCKING MONTH.

Ultimoo said:
Sony is just proving that North America is the superior country for all your PSN store needs.

But JP PSN gets all the awesome PSone updates. =(

nny

What they didn't tell us is that when they wrote "end of this week", they were pointing to a calendar of 2012.

:|

Hanmik

remember that there is a scheduled maintenance TONIGHT..

PSN Maintenance Scheduled Tues 31st May 19.00 GMT until Wednesday 1st June 01.00 GMT

PSN Network Maintenance has been scheduled to take places from Tuesday 31st May at 19.00 GMT until Wednesday 1st June 01.00 GMT.

During the maintenance window, the following services will be unavailable:

•PC Registration
•Console Storefront
•PS3 Account Management
•PS3 Network Account Registration
•PSP Network Account Registration
•Qriocity Account Management

If you attempt to log in during this period you will receive the site maintenance notification page.

If you are already signed in during this period you should be able to stay connected and you will not lose your gaming session (however the above services will still be unavailable).

If you have any queries please Tweet or PM me.

Rabid

source: http://community.eu.playstation.com...00-GMT-until/m-p/13080401?WT.mc_id=TSO_EN_103

jackdoe

glaurung said:
I hope they get the store back up before the free game offers expire. Which they will.

*grinds teeth
??? The free games are available up to 30 days after the store comes back up. So what you are imagining is literally impossible.

Pyri

Neo Member
I expect Howard Stringer himself to enter the stage in a week, sincerely apologizing for the outage (again)
I guess they neither can have Kevin Butler joking about it, nor remain in more or less complete silence on E3. This is a way too serious situation for them.

Dries

Two questions:

- does end of the week seem more likely to be thursday/friday? Or sat/sunday?

- will the welcome back program also go live as soon as PSN is back? I need my inFamous!!

jackdoe

Dries said:
- will the welcome back program also go live as soon as PSN is back? I need my inFamous!!
Their wording is vague. "Shortly" after the store comes back up. Maybe after they roll out all of the late content, so a week or two?

glaurung

jackdoe said:
??? The free games are available up to 30 days after the store comes back up. So what you are imagining is literally impossible.
Impossible is nothing.

No, I was just elaborating on a very realistic technical snafu that is highly likely to happen. Different departments within the giant mill that is Sony function at varying levels of speed, meaning that decisions made and approved in one part of the company might not make it out the pipeline on the other side.

Top Bottom