• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Part III] Thoughts on six patent applications related to a unique PS5, and what it may mean for SIE's future

GAF machine

Part 3: A distributed ledger for Home built on a network of CELL-accelerated GCSs

Call me crazy, but certain details of this sixth application give me the impression that SIE plans to create a multi-chain distributed ledger for a "Home 2.0"; and weave a CELL network underneath it within PSN to record/track the history of digital assets (i.e., user/publisher content, game related media files and games items) created inside of or brought into it.

It's a wild thought, but the reason I think this is because FIG. 10A of the application illustrates a P2P web processing a smart contract, which a portion of entry [0104] explains like this: "The distributed computing architecture includes multiple computing systems (referred to here as computers), which may be entertainment systems 1500, that store and modify the distributed ledger."

Per the entry, entertainment system 1500 (FIG. 15) can replace all the 'computing systems' illustrated in FIG. 10A, but entry [0162] says that entertainment system 1500 (i.e. an 'end user device') can also be a PS2, 3, 4 or 5, which entry [0044] says is a 'console 228' (that's also a 'user device 130') that can be "implemented on the platform server 140, a cloud server, or on any of the servers 218", which entry [0104] says can be 'computers' "that store and modify the distributed ledger" as illustrated by the stacked PCs towers depicted as servers in FIG. 10A. The takeaway from this dizzying set of entries is that entertainment system 1500 can stand in for a PS2 (PS2 covers PS1 hardware), 3, 4 or 5, and be converted into a cloud-gaming server that manages a distributed ledger.

This leads me to think that PS5 servers will be used to manage PSN's distributed ledger; but they won't be based on current PS5 hardware, rather the CELL-integrated D chassis PS5 hardware I mused over in Part 1 of the OP. Racks of these servers will constitute the CELL-accelerated GCSs I touched on in Part 2 (in Part 2 the GCS servers are cloud-gaming servers; here they're also full nodes with complete copies of the ledger), and the GCSs will form the CELL network on PSN's side. SIE's multi-chain ledger will be distributed across these GCSs so that CELLs can accelerate all the cryptographic puzzle solving necessary to validate transactions/blocks referencing digital assets listed inside a marketplace/PS Store, which is mentioned in entry [0099]. Console users via the UI and those on other devices (FIG. 10A) running the PS app (updated app turns mobile, laptops and desktops into a sort of lightweight SPV node) will have to connect to these servers if they want to conduct marketplace transactions, enter smart contracts and query the network to see if a transaction/block was recorded into the ledger.

Interestingly, the midsection of entry [0066] states that the servers (i.e., 'the first computing device') use a private key to partially encrypt messages about transactions and/or smart contracts (i.e., payload elements) before sending the messages to client devices. This is a scheme well-suited for CELL's Hardware Root of Secrecy and SPE Secure Processing Vault. Properly implemented (wasn't for hacked phat PS3s, was for later unhacked slim and super-slim PS3s), these two measures would allow CELL network servers to securely communicate with client devices, remote storage and other network servers over untrusted communication channels without threat of being compromised.

Ken Kutaragi largely conceptualized this 'distributed computing architecture' when he was asked what PS3 "melting" into a "distributed environment with networking" meant. His explanation was: "Next, the network will be the key. The network until now has been a network of information, but now it will become a bus for peer-to-peer computing. That is the concept of Cell" (translated by DeepL). Newsweek elaborated on the concept a bit more, saying: "The cells, as members of the network, would all be connected, in effect creating a peer-to-peer web that would transform every home into a kind of domestic (and legal) Napster".

It looks as though SIE has come full circle back to where Kutaragi started, but their spin on his concept includes CELL (i.e., the presumed CELL-integrated D chassis PS5) and non-CELL devices. Where Home fit into all of this is that it had the potential to be a massive hub for P2P content creation/sharing, which is part of what I think Kutaragi had in mind when he expressed to EEtimes that Home was "only the beginning of what will come"; and that a "renaissance, in which hundreds of flowers blossom simultaneously" was soon to occur. The other part, a mixed-reality physics-based 'cyberverse' that would've blurred the line between Home and itself to the point where a PS Eye could capture real-world objects/images and import them into Home. Or, skin a playable physics-enabled game scene onto a real-world living space that's in view of a PS Eye.

SIE missed its renaissance back then, but it seems to be coming back around. This time, accompanied by a multi-chain distributed ledger, PS VR2, PS5's HD camera and a rumored VR-supported PS Home successor that will likely feature an in-game economy/marketplace wherein players can rent, buy or sell user/publisher created digital assets and transfer ownership of them amongst themselves.

tl;dr

This may seem bonkers, but I get the sense that SIE is working to create a CELL network within PSN and a multi-chain distributed ledger on top of it that records/tracks the history of digital assets (i.e., user-generated content, media files and game items) exchanged, rented, purchased or sold in a marketplace/Store that's tied to "PS Home 2.0". The servers (full nodes that store copies of the entire ledger and are distributed across SIE's backend) responsible for keeping track of everything and validating transactions/blocks strike me as being CELL-integrated because they're based on a console that's PS3-like (presumably the CELL-integrated D chassis PS5 from Part 1 of the OP). In addition, they use a private key partial encryption scheme that goes hand in glove with CELL's Hardware Root of Secrecy and SPE Secure Processing Vault features.

To connect to these servers, conduct transactions, enter smart contracts or check on the status of either, devices will need to either have to proper firmware update (if console) or PS app version (if mobile, laptop, desktop, TV etc.) that turns the device into a kind of lightweight SPV node. These servers are also cloud-gaming servers (likely CELL-accelerated GCS servers from Part 2 of the OP) that stream MMO games. With rumors of a VR-supported PS Home swirling, I take it that SIE is working on a PS Home successor that will be hosted on networked clusters of these servers (i.e. CELL-accelerated GCSs) spread across their datacenters. Given SIE's interest in NFTs/distributed ledger tech, the service will likely have an in-game economy and marketplace for all kinds of user/publisher created digital assets. I also think their remodeled Home will be at the center of a larger physics-based mixed-reality "cyberverse" that blends the real-world and digital assets together via PS5's HD camera and PS VR2.

Part 1: CELL inside a second PS5
Part 2: AI-governed CELL-accelerated cloud-gaming systems for Plus-only 'super games'

Last edited:

SNG32

Sony will never do hardware based backwards compatibility without some paywall for PS1 - PS3 generations. It’s not a big incentive for them to do it.

envyzeal

Bring CELL back

104184952_1134147066950351_8830104925908808268_n.jpg

Gimme PS5 Perfect Cell Edition

the last bit... is what i have been thinking.

PlayStation Home VeRtion 2.0 in which all the "Playstation Stars" rewards exist unique to each player. and of course you can buy and exchange digital goods like furniture and shit like that.

2/10 of this becoming a reality....not even virtually.

Top Bottom