• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Part II] Thoughts on six patent applications related to a unique PS5, and what it may mean for SIE's future

GAF machine

Part 2: AI-governed CELL-accelerated cloud-gaming systems for Plus-only 'super games'

Aside from being a second PS5 model built to service multi-gen backwards compatibility, it seems game console 1400 (i.e., the presumed CELL-integrated D chassis PS5 in Part 1 of the OP) was built to service game streaming too. Entry [0203] of the first application says that game console 1400 can be "located within the data center", which leads me to think that it won't be current PS5 hardware streaming PS5 games in the near future. I also think that aside from using game console 1400 hardware to stream PS5 games and replace PS3/PS4-based servers as they flame out, SIE will use the hardware to execute on their "unique" cloud-gaming strategy. I gather this strategy centers around PS3-like distributed computing for online games because SIE filed two patent applications which associate the same PS3 illustration (FIG. 14 from Part 1 of the OP) with a server that has dual CPUs and distributes cloud-native game engines. The applications that speak to PS3-like distributed computing are:

application #3 -- Systems and methods for using a distributed game engine
application #4 -- Systems and methods for predicting states by using a distributed game engine

These applications detail a game cloud system (GCS), and relate to the second application which casts device 600 (seemingly game console 1400, just with a different label) as a server for cloud-gaming. Entry [0091] says device 600 can be a 'server computer'. Entry [0033] adds that these servers makeup the server back-end for a game cloud system (GCS). And lastly, entry [0039] says one or more GCS can distribute a game engine across a region or the world.

Patent applications #3, #4 and device 600 relate to the aforementioned PS3 illustration, in that application #3 discusses distributing a cloud-native game engine on server hardware that FIG. 11 associates with a PS3 labeled '1100'. Application #4 continues the subject of distributed game engines, but in the context of running distributed AI prediction on server hardware associated with a PS3 illustrated in FIG. 7 labeled '700'. In both cases, the servers are associated with a PS3 illustration because they (like game console 1400) are PS3-like at the hardware level. But they're also device 600-like because FIG. 2A and FIG. 2B of application #4 shows GCS servers (i.e., Node A and Node 1, respectively) having more than one CPU.

Entry [0079] of application #4, gives an interesting detail about one of the CPUs. It reads: "Moreover, the CPU 1 a applies an audio prediction engine to generate audio data to be output by the one or more AIs for the predicted state...". Given that the GCS servers (i.e., Node A and Node 1) are associated with PS3 illustrations (FIG. 11 and FIG. 7), it seems the inventor's intent is for a CELL of some sort to run the audio prediction engine. So in effect, the predictive AI agents on CELL would call on SPUs to generate spatial audio data for Tempest to output. Seems like an elegant and obvious use of CELL, since Tempest is "SPU-like". It also seems to explain the PS3 illustrations and their association with PS3/CELL distributed computing. To quote a line from The Tempest: "What's past is prologue."

Part of that distributed computing past is LANL's Roadrunner. The GCS is SIE's take on it, but with what I presume are AMD CPU+CELL+GPU compute nodes as server blades. If I had to summarize the GCS and what it does, I'd say it's a CELL-accelerated AI-managed system (AI details are in entries [0081] and [0090] of this fifth application) designed to distribute cloud-native single-player, multi-player or MMO game engines across centralized or distributed CELL-integrated PS5 based server nodes. The system's AI is also distributed across these nodes, and each node's AI agent allocates compute/rendering resources between nodes and makes predictions about what will happen in the next frame before players send their inputs. If their guesses match player inputs, they keep processing their predicted frames. If no match, they abort their frames and start processing new ones based on player inputs. They do this in order to give players the perception of reduced input latency. It's the stuff of Ken Kutaragi's dreams and Stadia's promise.

Speaking of Kutaragi-sama, he told PCWatch that during PS3's development he had SCE working with IBM on large-scale computing with CELL-based servers. At the time, he was interested in Polyphony Digital building "a cyber world with more than 1,000 Cells, or thousands of them" (translated by DeepL). What he called a "cyber world", SegaSammy calls a 'Super Game'. I'd wager that SIE's "unique" cloud-gaming strategy is to launch GCS "super games" based on their own IPs, with a cloud-native GT7 or a future GT being one of them.

PD is no stranger to distributed game engines. They once showed GT5 Prologue running on four networked PS3s. There's also the fact that Kaz wanted to add a "free-roaming" component to GT5, but couldn't due to time constraints. I think he still wants and has plans to eventually make an open world GT because GT7's World Map looks like a microcosm of a potential "GT World". A VR-supported world lit by GPU+CELL RT that allows players to import cars from the retail game for competitive circuit racing, and motor around with in a broadly physics based photo-realistically rendered MMOG brimming with human players and NPC drivers controlled by GT Sophy.

The map's lakefront looks ready-made to be turned into one of many F2P social/recreational hangout zones within a larger partially F2P PS Home successor. There GT players could socialize with each other and visitors from other Home zones. Maybe enter live service events to race boats, jet skis and kayaks for fun and PS Stars. Or, just spectate races and other happenings from a player's POV or from camera angles the spectator controls or from a default cinematic mode (per [0040] of the fifth application, subscribers to a service can spectate a single GCS game player or a group of players).

Anything that involves driving within "GT World" will likely be locked behind a Plus sub. I say this because entries [0071], [0075] and [0076] of application #3 give the example of a game that runs distributed on a GCS, and requires a subscription to play. When users log in, the GCS determines how many sever nodes should be assigned to each user based on their subscription tier (e.g., level 1/Essential = 2 nodes, level 2/Extra = 3 nodes and level 3/Premium = 4 nodes). I presume this means a super game's visual quality will be determined by tier, and Premium members will get four GCS server nodes for the highest resolution experience. On the whole it seems SIE is working to give their studios a cloud-gaming platform that can meet their wildest ambitions, and players experiences they've long imagined.

tl;dr

There seems to be an effort underway (or at least the intent) at SIE to take scores of CELL-integrated PS5-based servers and build AI-managed game cloud systems (GCS) to enable what Jim Ryan described as SIE's "unique" cloud-gaming strategy. These systems run distributed engines built for cloud-native games and have AI agents that make predictions about the next frame (e.g., physics interactions, collisions for audio, etc.) based on what they've learned during prior play sessions. If player inputs match their predictions, they keep processing their frames then stream them out. If they don’t match, then the frames are trashed and new ones are processed based on player inputs. The AI agents aim to create a perception of reduced input latency.

Within the next several years, I think SIE will take a page out of SegaSammy's playbook and launch their own "super games" (i.e., online games based on existing and new IPs) built specifically for their CELL-accelerated GCS platform. Some may have a F2P component that's part of a larger PS "Home World". All will require a Plus sub for full access, and their visual fidelity will be tier-based. I also think that Polyphony Digital may be the first of SIE's studios to launch a "super game". Kaz has long wanted to open GT since GT5. The GT World map looks like it was created as a scaled down representation of an expansive VR-supported fully ray-traced "GT World" that Kaz may be working towards.

Part 1: CELL inside a second PS5
Part 3: A distributed ledger for Home built on a network of CELL-accelerated GCSs

Last edited:

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
Sony could have its own machines for the cloud but I do not see them use that outside Japan at least for the beginning. Microsoft did use SeriesX for their cloud so it would be cool is Sony could do the same.
Would be a twist if Sony did cloud gaming better than Xbox.
If they manage to be better than Microsoft in that area that would be crazy. We can only dream but I would love it!

Top Bottom