• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Is Not in an 'Arms Race’ With Microsoft, Says PlayStation Boss

A lot of people do not consider Flight Sim as a "game" but I can tell you I have spent several hours on the PC version having quite a bit of fun and can't wait for it on Series X

To me you get me to spend hours in it and have as much fun as I have had doing silly shit, its a game.
It's also unlike any other game around. I appreciate the Xbox having so many varied game experiences. I hope that keeps up going forward. Looking at their list of studios it shouldn't be too difficult.

If we're talking upgraded last gen games released before the console originally then we can start adding Forza Horizon 4 and Gears 5 etc.
We know you guys like to count old ports and future games.

Games from 2018.
Movie Horror GIF by The Grudge

Can't make this shit up:messenger_tears_of_joy:

arvfab

Banned
If we're talking upgraded last gen games released before the console originally then we can start adding Forza Horizon 4 and Gears 5 etc.

Oh I thought ports counted, as you listed Gears Tactics and Flight Sim (even predicting that the objectively worse version - as it will have downgrades - will maintain the PC score!).

Go ahead, let's remove the ports on both sides then (leaving the Xbox side with 0 😔) or add Forza and Gears.

I will make it for you:

Gears 5: 83%
FH4: - no score for Series X, but it's 88% on PC, which is presumably closest to Series X

Gotta love the quality, quantity and diversity on Sony's side 😍😍😍😍

SaucyJack

A lot of people do not consider Flight Sim as a "game" but I can tell you I have spent several hours on the PC version having quite a bit of fun and can't wait for it on Series X

To me you get me to spend hours in it and have as much fun as I have had doing silly shit, its a game.

Agree, of course it’s a game.

Like most sims it is very niche though.

Riky

$MSFT
Oh I thought ports counted, as you listed Gears Tactics and Flight Sim (even predicting that the objectively worse version - as it will have downgrades - will maintain the PC score!).

Go ahead, let's remove the ports on both sides then (leaving the Xbox side with 0 😔) or add Forza and Gears.

I will make it for you:

FH4: - no score for Series X, but it's 88% on PC, which is presumably closest to Series X

I said games released before the new consoles were released, you stated Death Stranding, FFVII and GOT.
Gears Tactics was day and date with new consoles, FS has never been on consoles before. Gears Tactics had a higher score on Xbox than PC when released.

dcmk7

Banned

I will make it for you:

Gears Tactics as well, although that was an inferior port of a 6 month old game. So doubt the metacritic score is as high.

arvfab

Banned
I said games released before the new consoles were released, you stated Death Stranding, FFVII and GOT.
Gears Tactics was day and date with new consoles, FS has never been on consoles before. Gears Tactics had a higher score on Xbox than PC when released.

I'm confused. Gears Tactics was released in April 2020 on Windows and FS is already on Windows. Windows is a MS platform I've been told. Both got/are getting a Series X version.

Death Stranding and GoT were on PS4 and are now getting PS5 versions. For me, it's the same. You either count all (also Gears 5 and FH4) or none.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
I'm confused. Gears Tactics was released in April 2020 on Windows and FS is already on Windows. Windows is a MS platform I've been told. Both got/are getting a Series X version.

Death Stranding and GoT were on PS4 and are now getting PS5 versions. For me, it's the same. You either count all (also Gears 5 and FH5) or none.

There were console versions before the release of the consoles on PS4, there was no console release of Gears Tactics or Flight Simulator before the Series consoles.

dcmk7

Banned
Nah, developer have even said as much.

We were very fortunate to be able to talk with our partners at 343 Industries on a number of occasions about their experiences on Halo Wars and Halo Wars 2. I would say they were most positive about the fact that we focused on creating a premium PC experience first-and-foremost.
It was solely designed, in the developers words, as a premium PC title.

Any ports will always be inferior. Just by sheer definition.

I know you live and breath everything Xbox but there is no reason to argue against all logic.

Metacritic is slightly higher. Which doesn't make sense as it's an inferior game to the PC.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
Nah, developer have even said as much.

It was solely designed, in the developers words, as a premium PC title.

Any ports will always be inferior. Just by sheer definition.

I know you live and breath everything Xbox but there is no reason to argue against all logic.

Metacritic is slightly higher. Which doesn't make sense as it's an inferior game to the PC.

Gears Tactics came with upgrades for the Series consoles that then came to PC. You said you doubt the Metacritic was higher and you were wrong, like I said.

arvfab

Banned
There were console versions before the release of the consoles on PS4, there was no console release of Gears Tactics or Flight Simulator before the Series consoles.

I see a re-release of the same game (some of them with improvements, new features and additional contents, others as a downgrade) on a different platform of the same ecosystem in both cases.

Last edited:

dcmk7

Banned
Only 14 reviews on Xbox, that is why ports even though inferior can get higher reviews.

Not to talk about that Xbox tend to get "pity" points due to less games and less reviews.
Yep. A number of those seem to be Xbox dedicated news sites as well.

A game like Gears Tactics needs to be played on PC. In the same way as XCOM, anything else is inferior.

FS2020 will be the same.

Last edited:

yurinka

Sony isn't releasing half of those games.

They are bought timed exclusives. You know the kind where throwing money around doesn't mean you win.
Sony is publishing many of these games, and other ones will be console exclusive at least for a while because Sony paid them to do so or because their publishers decided it was a good idea to release it only on the big console with the biggest market share (maybe because it was a small dev without resources to release all versions at the same time and only had budget to release it at launch in one and later will port it to the other ones).

In any case, if you want to play them on a console they will be only available on Sony's console for a while.

I'm not sure if you're trolling, 12, or simply just don't have all the info. It also looks incredibly desperate to cite directors cut versions of games already released. Not sure Sony flogging it's customers out of yet more money is anything to brag about. Much less UC4 going to pc.

There's possibly quite a few errors there. Seeing as it's your claim that Sony's exclusives list for the 2nd half of this year, would you care to provide a source or complete list for both. Your claims of them being more diverse and promising is subjective, and not at all a surprising one considering your history.
I also need you to provide which of those exclusives that are next gen only. I know that R&C is, but I'm not aware of any others for the PS5.

I know there's rumors regarding there possibly being a couple of unannounced exclusives that are set to release this year, but at this point it's simply rumors. As inaccurate as rumors tend to be, they're still light years more dependable than your theory that Sony has yet to announce some "cool" exclusives because 'reasons'.
If instead of trolling you would research a bit you'd find the Director's Cuts add plenty of new content and that the name 'Director's Cut' itself is just a marketing decision instead of using 'Definitive Edition', 'Ultimate Edition', 'GOTY Edition' etc. Both games were released fullfilling the vision of their creators, but since them wanted to expand and improve them not only adding the typical PS5 releated improvements, but expanding their story and adding a good chunk of features and content detailed on their respective PS Blog entries (and both said that in the future weeks will continue mentioning more stuff they added).

Regarding Uncharted 4 PC port, like Horizon or Days Gone I personally don't give a fuck because I played them in PS4 when released, but looking a the great sales of the Horizon and Days Gone ports there's plenty of PC gamers thirsty for Sony exclusives, so they will love it and will be important for them.

Regarding the source to claim PS has a bigger and more diverse amount of exclusives, both for this 2nd half of the year or let's say the last year, it's a fact too. You only have to check out the amount of exclusives released on a certain period on each side, amount of genres/etc covered on each platform etc.

Only with the stuff already released or officially announced for the next half a year or so (maybe you can add the 2021 games delayed to 'early 2022' too). You can forget my theories of games possibly being to be announced soon since they are just random guesses, not facts:

I mentioned them just to explain that they decided to spread their announcements across the summer instead to focus them in a single E3 event and due to several official announcements (GoTDC and DS DC updates mentoning they will provide extra info in the coming weeks, State of Play update mentioning they weren't going to talk about GoWR or Horizon 2 but that there will be more updates soon etc) and rumors (the suspicious Abandoned stuff, different supposed leakers who have been right about things like GoT Ikki island expansion or State of Play on July 8th pointing to stuff like GoWR gameplay, Bluepoint acquisition or Arc System Works acquisition to be revealed soon, or more rumors about big stuff delayed from early July to August) seems that there are pending some exciting 1st/2nd party updates to be revealed in some way later this summer.

Last edited:
Yep. A number of those seem to be Xbox dedicated news sites as well.

A game like Gears Tactics needs to be played on PC. In the same way as XCOM, anything else is inferior.

FS2020 will be the same.

What I'm wondering about FS is how those high ram requirements will translate to the console version. Some concessions will definitely have to be made with the XSXs 10GB/16GB of ram.

KAL2006

Banned
Imagine having both?

Demon's Souls: 92%
Returnal: 86%
Rift Apart: 88%
Miles Morales: 85%
Ghost of Tsushima: 83%
Death Stranding: 82%/86%
Guilty Gear Strive: 88%
Fibal Fantasy 7 Intergrade: 89%

😍😍

None of this shit matters it all comes back to what people like to play and that's down to different people's opinions. For me personally I prefer the Sony style singleplayer 3rd person blockbusters like Last of Us, Spiderman and God of War. Gears tactics and Flight Simulator can get great reviews but they do nothing for me. Same can he said to someone who loves Halo multiplayer and Sony 3rd person games does nothing for them. Lost wars are pointless you can have a massive list of games that don't appeal to you. You can have just 1 game that's a must have that you would buy a console for.

Riky

$MSFT
What I'm wondering about FS is how those high ram requirements will translate to the console version. Some concessions will definitely have to be made with the XSXs 10GB/16GB of ram.

Latest update brings big performance upgrade to the PC with the console versions, so it's now better optimised.
They have already said 4k 30 on Series X and 1080p 30 on Series S.
It's going to be great to see the console graphical bar raised, stunning looking game.

Latest update brings big performance upgrade to the PC with the console versions, so it's now better optimised.
They have already said 4k 30 on Series X and 1080p 30 on Series S.
It's going to be great to see the console graphical bar raised, stunning looking game.

That's if it looks on par with the PC version. And if it doesn't I don't really see it raising the bar on consoles. I guess we have to wait for the comparison sites to point out the differences because visuals go beyond framerate and resolution if you didn't know.

reksveks

Pretty sure the game will look great but I don't know if it will raise the bar since it's Crossgen. Hopefully the developers are not just porting the PS4 version over since that would límit the visual upgrades.
I wouldnt worry about the graphics, you might have an issue if you wanted a massive increase in the game scope

dcmk7

Banned
In what way?

It's common knowledge when fully fledged PC games come to consoles. They always pale in comparison.

Gears Tactics certainly did.

And XCOM, C&C, Football Manager immediately come to mind as well

But guessing your disputing this. Wonder why..

Do you reckon XSS/XSX version of FS2020 is going to be equivalent or better than the experience on PC?

OK.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
It's common knowledge when fully fledged PC games come to consoles. They always pale in comparison.

Gears Tactics certainly did.

And XCOM, C&C, Football Manager immediately come to mind as well

But guessing your disputing this. Wonder why..

Do you reckon XSS/XSX version of FS2020 is going to be equivalent or better than the experience on PC?

OK.

How was Gears Tactics inferior? Simple question since you're making the claim.

reksveks

You're disputing this really.. struggling how anyone can be so naïve.

But you do realise the developers had to make compromises to pretty much everything right?

Check out Google on how they did it. Changed UX and pace of the game.

Educate yourself.
Does the ux change if you have a keyboard connected to a xbox in comparison to having a controller?

Riky

$MSFT
You're disputing this really.. struggling how anyone can be so naïve.

But you do realise the developers had to make compromises to pretty much everything right?

Check out Google on how they did it. Changed UX and pace of the game.

Educate yourself.

That hardly makes it a pale imitation, in fact the console version came with several upgrades including Tier 2 VRS and the developers state

"Gears Tactics did ship on PC with controller support, but it clearly worked better with a mouse and keyboard, so The Coalition’s efforts to refine the game for controllers will also come to the PC version along with the new content. Conversely, Bielman says that you can plug a mouse and keyboard into an Xbox console and play the game just as it would run on a PC."

So the developer says you can play the same as a PC, which makes your claims a lie, again.

dcmk7

Banned
That hardly makes it a pale imitation, in fact the console version came with several upgrades including Tier 2 VRS and the developers state

"Gears Tactics did ship on PC with controller support, but it clearly worked better with a mouse and keyboard, so The Coalition’s efforts to refine the game for controllers will also come to the PC version along with the new content. Conversely, Bielman says that you can plug a mouse and keyboard into an Xbox console and play the game just as it would run on a PC."

So the developer says you can play the same as a PC, which makes your claims a lie, again.
You've disproved my claim that PC is the superior version for Gears Tactics? Where is that?

Something that is pretty much irrefutable. That's before you factor in the compromises they made.

Last edited:
If Sony buys more studios and combine PS+/PSnow I will subscribe every month that a good game comes out. and If they have enough content I will never unsubscribe. This is where the industry is heading, Sony may as well invest big now and reap the rewards for years to come.

We'll see if Halo even makes it this year

Sony has Horizon, Death Stranding DC and Ghost of Tsushima DC from now until fall vs Halo, Forza and Flightsim

Not releasing games for your gaming console is certainly a different strategy, i wouldn't call it a good one though.
Okay, we going to count directors cuts as new releases this fall? If so let’s count Doom Eternal as a first party MS release because they added as much to that game from a technical perspective than the other two directors cuts. See how insane it sounds. Sony’s first party releases for the fall is Horizon and that’s pretty much it rn.

Top Bottom