• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Is Not in an 'Arms Race’ With Microsoft, Says PlayStation Boss

DirkMagusDCXIX @fanfiction.net your lore doesn't apply in the real world, old game is an old game even when ported to another platform.
Yeah man we can always count in you for info on what was released on the Xbox. Gears Tactics was console launched on XSX|S like it or lump it. Sony front loaded their launch period MS back loaded theirs we'll see which strategy makes the most sense.

Yeah man we can always count in you for info on what was released on the Xbox. Gears Tactics was console launched on XSX|S like it or lump it. Sony front loaded their launch period MS back loaded theirs we'll see which strategy makes the most sense.

Sony didn't front load they spread it out throughout the year

It's clear which strategy was better

Last edited:

Unknown?

Sony didn't front load they spread it out throughout the year

It's clear which strategy was better
Boom! Roasted!
Boom-Roasted.gif

Last edited:
None! Can't think of a single one 🤷‍♂️
And was never my point fam

Sony not being able to afford any 7.5 Billion purchases was my stance 2 weeks ago and everyone is so upset about it we're still deflecting today😂😂
Interesting, I have no idea how true that is, but there's definitely more than one way Sony could make a purchase of that size.

But I would argue there's no real need, Sony (and Nintendo) have taken the time to grow and expand their first party studios so they don't need to go out and buy big publishers.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
how's the goalpost gonna shift when they launch flight sim in 2 weeks?
"name 2 exclusives MS has released for the XSX" ??

Mainstream level? It’s not gonna do much. It’s a hardcore flight sim. Something you want to play on pc anyway.

Horizon FW

Its not even whos strategy was better. Sony simply brought many more games to the table
We'll see if Horizon even makes it this year. Sony certainly released more 1st party games before July. MS has more games from this month till the end of the year. Like I said Sony front loaded their schedule. MS was more focused on adding more features and value to the Xbox platform. There are still aspects of the PlayStation that are unfinished. They have different strategies.

We'll see if Horizon even makes it this year. Sony certainly released more 1st party games before July. MS has more games from this month till the end of the year. Like I said Sony front loaded their schedule. MS was more focused on adding more features and value to the Xbox platform. There are still aspects of the PlayStation that are unfinished. They have different strategies.
We'll see if Halo even makes it this year

Sony has Horizon, Death Stranding DC and Ghost of Tsushima DC from now until fall vs Halo, Forza and Flightsim

Not releasing games for your gaming console is certainly a different strategy, i wouldn't call it a good one though.

We'll see if Halo even makes it this year

Sony has Horizon, Death Stranding DC and Ghost of Tsushima DC from now until fall vs Halo, Forza and Flightsim

Not releasing games for your gaming console is certainly a different strategy, i wouldn't call it a good one though.
I'd bet Halo releases holiday 2021 before Horizon but we'll see. No other console has done more for cross generational games or backward compatibility either. No other console has had a service like Gamepass offering new games day one. xCloud lets people play across multiple platforms. There is plenty good about the Xbox strategy. You might not like it but then again people complained when the original Xbox didn't have a modem too. MS has always been a little different.

yurinka

What are Sony's big releases this fall? We already know MS'. Also what do you remember about the last generation, how it started or how it ended? Launch periods do not define platforms.
Sony will release during the second half of the year Ratchet, Guilty Gear Strive, FFVIIR Intergrade, GoT Director's Cut, Death Stranding Director's Cut, Deathloop, Ghostwire Tokyo, Uncharted 4 PC, Horizon plus nice (timed console exclusive?) indies like Kena, Little Devil Inside, Stray and more. Originally they had GoWR and GT7 there too, but they were delayed to 2022.

Sony's exclusives line-up for this 2nd half of the year is bigger, more diverse and promising than the MS ones (plus Sony's ones also feature next gen only exclusives), as happened during the first half a year or so of he generation.

And knowing Sony is spreading their news across the summer instead of focusing them on the E3 as MS did, probably they still have to announce some cool game more for this period as could be some indie.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I'd bet Halo releases holiday 2021 before Horizon but we'll see. No other console has done more for cross generational games or backward compatibility either. No other console has had a service like Gamepass offering new games day one. xCloud lets people play across multiple platforms. There is plenty good about the Xbox strategy. You might not like it but then again people complained when the original Xbox didn't have a modem too. MS has always been a little different.

2 different models and I love both.

Play all the exclusives on my PS5 and pretty much everything else on the XSX mostly through GP

This H2 2021 Sony will have released Ratchet, Guilty Gear Strive, FFVIIR Intergrade, GoT Director's Cut, Death Stranding Director's Cut, Deathloop, Ghostwire Tokyo, Uncharted 4 PC, Horizon plus nice (timed console exclusive?) indies like Kena, Little Devil Inside, Stray and more. Originally they had GoWR and GT7 there too, but they were delayed to 2022.

Sony's exclusives line-up for this 2nd half of the year is bigger, more diverse and promising than the MS one, as happened during the first half a year or so of he generation. And knowing they are spreading their news across the summer instead of focusing them on the E3 as MS did, probably they still have to announce some cool game more for this period as could be some indie.
Completely subjective and if you love playing with friends few of those titles will do anything for you. I suppose we'll just have to see how things shake out at the end of the year.

2 different models and I love both.

Play all the exclusives on my PS5 and pretty much everything else on the XSX mostly through GP
My philosophy as well. Nothing wrong with using the PS5 as an exclusive 3rd person, single player, game machine and the Xbox for everything else. Game pass is fantastic.

PS5 as an exclusive 3rd person, single player, game machine and the Xbox for everything else.

You do know that Sony does more than 3rd person single player games right? Although I will admit that's their strength.

Heck even if someone has both and uses Xbox for Gamepass and the PS5 for everything else there's nothing wrong with that.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
You do know that Sony does more than 3rd person single player games right? Although I will admit that's their strength.

Heck even if someone has both and uses Xbox for Gamepass and the PS5 for everything else there's nothing wrong with that.

My philosophy as well. Nothing wrong with using the PS5 as an exclusive 3rd person, single player, game machine and the Xbox for everything else. Game pass is fantastic.
Both work as long as people are playing imo

Pretty much. I game on PC but I use a Dualsense instead of the Series controller. It would probably be the reason why I would game on a PS5 instead of the Series systems. But that's just my personal preference and I'm not telling DarkMage619 DarkMage619 that he should change his. Just offering a different point of view here. No harm intended.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Pretty much. I game on PC but I use a Dualsense instead of the Series controller. It would probably be the reason why I would game on a PS5 instead of the Series systems. But that's just my personal preference and I'm not telling DarkMage619 DarkMage619 that he should change his. Just offering a different point of view here. No harm intended.
Yeah I mainly use my PC as well but prefer the Xbox controller layout with the back buttons and trigger stops on the Razor Wolv Ultimate controller or Elite controller.

Dammit Sony build me an Elite style controller

Yeah I mainly use my PC as well but prefer the Xbox controller layout with the back buttons and trigger stops on the Razor Wolv Ultimate controller or Elite controller.

I had plenty of bad experiences with the elite controller. Don't really trust them after the bad run that I had. With the PS4 controller I only had issues with the rubber. My Dualsense and XB1 controller don't have any problems.

Shmunter

I'm sure you desperately wish that were true, but sorry to break the bad news to you. Xbox isn't going anywhere.

Microsoft has already confirmed the next gen xbox consoles are already being made.

And Elder Scrolls 10 years away you say? I suspect 4-5 years. 6 at most. I strongly believe we will be seeing the release of the next Elder Scrolls within 4-5 years of the release of Starfield. Bethesda will have experience under their belt with the next gen Creation 2 Engine as a result of Starfield. Tie that together with Microsoft's help and resources, the turnaround for Elder Scrolls will be much quicker than you might otherwise think after a big release such as Starfield.
If streaming is their future, they could mean streaming sticks as the next gen of consoles.

If streaming is their future, they could mean streaming sticks as the next gen of consoles.

At no point has Microsoft ever said they will go full streaming. You don't buy Bethesda for $7.5 billion to go all streaming while pushing gaming on Windows 11 with Game Pass and Bethesda. People have to face reality. Xbox consoles aren't going anywhere. The Bethesda purchase should have solidified as much. Most of the people who subscribe to Game Pass do so through Xbox consoles. Microsoft isn't shutting down Game Pass anytime soon.

Sony will release during the second half of the year Ratchet, Guilty Gear Strive, FFVIIR Intergrade, GoT Director's Cut, Death Stranding Director's Cut, Deathloop, Ghostwire Tokyo, Uncharted 4 PC, Horizon plus nice (timed console exclusive?) indies like Kena, Little Devil Inside, Stray and more. Originally they had GoWR and GT7 there too, but they were delayed to 2022.

Sony's exclusives line-up for this 2nd half of the year is bigger, more diverse and promising than the MS ones (plus Sony's ones also feature next gen only exclusives), as happened during the first half a year or so of he generation.

And knowing Sony is spreading their news across the summer instead of focusing them on the E3 as MS did, probably they still have to announce some cool game more for this period as could be some indie.
I'm not sure if you're trolling, 12, or simply just don't have all the info. It also looks incredibly desperate to cite directors cut versions of games already released. Not sure Sony flogging it's customers out of yet more money is anything to brag about. Much less UC4 going to pc.

There's possibly quite a few errors there. Seeing as it's your claim that Sony's exclusives list for the 2nd half of this year, would you care to provide a source or complete list for both. Your claims of them being more diverse and promising is subjective, and not at all a surprising one considering your history.
I also need you to provide which of those exclusives that are next gen only. I know that R&C is, but I'm not aware of any others for the PS5.

I know there's rumors regarding there possibly being a couple of unannounced exclusives that are set to release this year, but at this point it's simply rumors. As inaccurate as rumors tend to be, they're still light years more dependable than your theory that Sony has yet to announce some "cool" exclusives because 'reasons'.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Sony isn't releasing half of those games.

They are bought timed exclusives. You know the kind where throwing money around doesn't mean you win.

ksdixon

Is there a PS5-XBSX gen ChronusMAX controller adaptor yet?

EDIT: https://guide.cronusmax.com/manual/discover-cronus-zen

What a confusing as fuck website.
I myself am interested in if I can use a PS4 or PS5 pad on my XBSX. Or a PS4 pad at all times on PS5. But I can't parse the info before I've had my morning coffee

Last edited:

Vaelka

I don't think resources plays as big a part as you think. Sure, Microsoft has a lot more money, that's a fact. But in terms of acquisitions, Sony's strategy has been consistent. And it begins with established relationships. Always has.

Unless you're not a AAA developer then fuck you.

arvfab

Banned
It also looks incredibly desperate to cite directors cut versions of games already released.

So we shouldn't count Flight Sim and Gears Tactics, because it's also desperate, right? I mean, I keep hearing how PC is just another platform in MS's ecosystem, making both games just re-releases.... Like the Director's Cuts on PS5 (ignoring also the fact that they come with expansions to the main games).

hemo memo

Gold Member
Sadly I’m stuck with PS5 only. Seeing how I sometimes play old PS+ games out of boredom waiting/searching for something new. What was new was Rift Apart and that was a $70 disappointment. I think I went with the wrong console this gen as SX and Game pass would have been way better investment for my time and money. This is not to add to console wars. This is my opinion as to what console of both would have been better fit to my play style.

So we shouldn't count Flight Sim and Gears Tactics, because it's also desperate, right? I mean, I keep hearing how PC is just another platform in MS's ecosystem, making both games just re-releases.... Like the Director's Cuts on PS5 (ignoring also the fact that they come with expansions to the main games).
Well let's compare the two and see.

• Gears Tactics released back at launch didn't it? So not only is it not relevant to the 2nd half of this year, I don't remember anyone claiming it as something it wasn't. You'll see plenty of people claiming that Xbox hasn't had a single exclusive this gen, while simultaneously hyping Demons Souls like it wasn't a game released over a decade ago.

• Flight Sim is a game that wasn't (and still isn't) released on any console, much less Xbox. While it was released last year on pc, it will be the first time people will get to play it on console.

Now let's compare that to PS5.

• Borh GoT, as well as DS are fully playable right now on PS5. Be that as it may, even people who bought the Directors Cut version of the game on PS4 must pay in order to play it on PS5.

If you can't see the clear difference, then I can't help you. Sony is charging you to play the exact same game again. That's with the exception of the expanded content. You know you're grasping when you're trying to bolster your point using an expansion to count as an entirely new game. You don't see anyone claiming Gears Hivebusters, or FH4 hotwheels as entirely brand new games do you? Seeing as Flight Sim has already had a couple of expansions, does that mean Xbox is getting three additional exclusives this month?

Last edited:
Sadly I’m stuck with PS5 only. Seeing how I sometimes play old PS+ games out of boredom waiting/searching for something new. What was new was Rift Apart and that was a $70 disappointment. I think I went with the wrong console this gen as SX and Game pass would have been way better investment for my time and money. This is not to add to console wars. This is my opinion as to what console of both would have been better fit to my play style.
Why sadly? Fix your own situation.

You have the console people thirst for, you can trade it for the lesser in demand XSX anytime you want.(probably can get a 100$ on top too)

• Gears Tactics released back at launch didn't it? So not only is it not relevant to the 2nd half of this year, I don't remember anyone claiming it as something it wasn't. You'll see plenty of people claiming that Xbox hasn't had a single exclusive this gen, while simultaneously hyping Demons Souls like it wasn't a game released over a decade ago.

• Flight Sim is a game that wasn't (and still isn't) released on any console, much less Xbox. While it was released last year on pc, it will be the first time people will get to play it on console.

• Borh GoT, as well as DS are fully playable right now on PS5. Be that as it may, even people who bought the Directors Cut version of the game on PS4 must pay in order to play it on PS5.

If you can't see the clear difference, then I can't help you. Sony is charging you to play the exact same game again. That's with the exception of the expanded content. You know you're grasping when you're trying to bolster your point using an expansion to count as an entirely new game. You don't see anyone claiming Gears Hivebusters, or FH4 hotwheels as entirely brand new games do you? Seeing as Flight Sim has already had a couple of expansions, does that mean Xbox is getting three additional exclusives this month?

A port is a port my man

arvfab

Banned

There are enough people claiming that Gears Tactics disproves that MS didn't launch any games, and I've seen people claiming Hivebuster or the Sea of Thieves expansion to be somehow of relevance.

In my opinion, neither Flight Sim, nor the Director's Cut should be counted on any list. They are all already available on platforms of their corresponding ecosystem, as I'm being told everytime I say I (will) play the MS games on my PC (once they release something interesting).

Sony is charging me for additional content, not for the same game. If you can't see the clear difference, then I can't help you.

Demon's Souls is a lot different, as it is a ground up remake of a game released 2 generations ago.

There are enough people claiming that Gears Tactics disproves that MS didn't launch any games, and I've seen people claiming Hivebuster or the Sea of Thieves expansion to be somehow of relevance.

In my opinion, neither Flight Sim, nor the Director's Cut should be counted on any list. They are all already available on platforms of their corresponding ecosystem, as I'm being told everytime I say I (will) play the MS games on my PC (once they release something interesting).

Sony is charging me for additional content, not for the same game. If you can't see the clear difference, then I can't help you.

Demon's Souls is a lot different, as it is a ground up remake of a game released 2 generations ago.
Of course neither should count on your list. That's the easiest way to move the goalpost.

If you bought the Directors Cut on PS4, what additional content is on the PS5 version?

Based on your logic, (or lack thereof) Demons Souls is fully fledged PS5 exclusive, despite it being a decade old remake. But apparently Flight Sim doesn't count because it released on pc last year. How does that work?

If we're discussing current gen consoles, You've been able to play GoT, and DS for months, as they are backwards compatible.

Comparatively, you haven't been able to play either Demons Souls or Flight Sim on current gen consoles or last. Neither are available via backwards compatibility.

How about this. We'll settle this easily. You go do a Gaf search of people citing Hivebusters, or Sea of Thieves Expansions as Series X/S exclusive games, and I'll go search for people citing Directors Cuts, and Miles Morales as PS5 exclusive games. If I don't find 5 times as many examples as you do... You win. For every single reference you find, I have to find 5. Even with that handicap, you won't even come close.

A port with an expansion has less content than a port without an expansion? :pie_thinking:

Fascinating. You should put that into a thesis
I'm sorry. Let me help you out.

An expansion is simply expanded content to a previously released game. It typically consists of far less content than the actual game.

A port is a previously released game, that is afterwards released on another platform.

A port = An actual game.
An expansion = Added content to an actual game.

If you're still struggling to understand, find an adult to help you with the comprehension.

I'm sorry. Let me help you out.

An expansion is simply expanded content to a previously released game. It typically consists of far less content than the actual game.

A port is a previously released game, that is afterwards released on another platform.

A port = An actual game.
An expansion = Added content to an actual game.

If you're still struggling to understand, find an adult to help you with the comprehension.

Thank you!

So based on the information you've provided for me

Flight Sim released last year on PC, and is releasing this year on another platform (Xbox) which makes it a port

Ghost of Tsushima released last year on PS4, and is releasing this year on another platform (PS5) which makes it a port (with added content aka an expansion :messenger_winking:)

I think we've finally figured it out boys. They're both ports!

Last edited:

arvfab

Banned
Of course neither should count on your list. That's the easiest way to move the goalpost.

If you bought the Directors Cut on PS4, what additional content is on the PS5 version?

Based on your logic, (or lack thereof) Demons Souls is fully fledged PS5 exclusive, despite it being a decade old remake. But apparently Flight Sim doesn't count because it released on pc last year. How does that work?

If we're discussing current gen consoles, You've been able to play GoT, and DS for months, as they are backwards compatible.

Comparatively, you haven't been able to play either Demons Souls or Flight Sim on current gen consoles or last. Neither are available via backwards compatibility.

How about this. We'll settle this easily. You go do a Gaf search of people citing Hivebusters, or Sea of Thieves Expansions as Series X/S exclusive games, and I'll go search for people citing Directors Cuts, and Miles Morales as PS5 exclusive games. If I don't find 5 times as many examples as you do... You win. For every single reference you find, I have to find 5. Even with that handicap, you won't even come close.

Nah why should I spend my time on something as useless as proving you wrong? You won, I guess, enjoy!

Funny that you suddenly throw Miles Morales (a standalone game) in the bunch. Talk about moving goalposts 🤣

Based on your logic (or lack thereof), if I was crazy enough to buy FS on PC in order to get bored of it, and then continue to get bored of it on Xbox (with same features and worse graphics) by using the SAME license I got when I bought it on PC, is different than putting my PS4 disc of Death Stranding in my PS5 and upgrading it (with more features and better graphics).

So depending on the situation, sometimes Windows is and sometimes is not an additional platform in MS ecosystem. Got it.

SaucyJack

This argument is getting a bit silly.

Of course Gears Tactics and Flight Sim are exclusive games that count on the Xbox list, it doesn’t really matter that they’re both out on PC. It also doesn’t really counter the point that Xbox has released fuck all of note for its nextgen consoles since this generation started.

Gears tactics is a nice little Xcom clone and definitely recommended if that’s your thing. Flight Sim is a beautiful looking niche title that nobody will buy and most Gamepass subscribers won’t play for more than an hour or two before getting bored.

The lists are not just about quantity, quality counts.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
As much as I have always loved PS if I was forced to pick one side or the other this gen it would be Xbox.

As much as I enjoyed the PS exclusives I will spend more time in the new Forza then the last 3 PS5 games combined overall.

Not trying to war here but Xbox just has more features I prefer going right now though I know PS will catch up with VRR and enabling their SSD someday.

Plus I prefer their controller layout even though I use a Razer Wolverine Ultimate.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
As much as I have always loved PS if I was forced to pick one side or the other this gen it would be Xbox.

As much as I enjoyed the PS exclusives I will spend more time in the new Forza then the last 3 PS5 games combined overall.

Not trying to war here but Xbox just has more features I prefer going right now though I know PS will catch up with VRR and enabling their SSD someday.

Plus I prefer their controller layout even though I use a Razer Wolverine Ultimate.
You make very good points, the software offerings and the controller you use play a huge part in choosing. I was lucky to get both consoles at launch, but I can understand there are tons of factors in choosing.

If two versions of a game were similar enough in graphics and performance and one of them had a great Haptics Feedback and Dynamic Triggers implementations I would choose that version so I can understand controller layout may make you prefer the XSX version for sure.

Last edited:
Top Bottom