• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Is Not in an 'Arms Race’ With Microsoft, Says PlayStation Boss

Rolla

Banned
“We're very selective about the developers that we bring in,” Hulst said. “Our last new acquisition was Insomniac [for $229 million in 2019], which has worked out very well. I'm always looking for people that have a similar set of values, similar creative ambitions and work very well with our team that we can further invest in and help grow as creators. It's not like we're going around and just making random acquisitions.”

That last sentence should quell the "Sony should buy" talk as they clearly have a defined strategy...

bender

What time is it?
Shots fired. Phil "Random Acquisitions" Spencer.

tenor.gif

reksveks

Pit-nicking but it should be PlayStation Studios boss in the IGN title.

I don't think they mean it but Xbox aren't buying randomly although if they buy Crytek then I might change my mind.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
MS has more cash on hand than Sony's market cap. They know they cant get into a bidding war with MS.

Acquiring studios with prior relationship like Insomniac, Bluepoint, Housemarque and KojiPro makes more sense than going after big publishers like Zenimax, Square Enix, Sega or Ubisoft. He knows the moment he makes a bid for Square, Phil will just outbid him. If I were Jim, I would be careful about all those timed exclusives from Square. FF7, FF16 and now Forspoken. It reminds me of that speculation that after DeathLoop, Ghostwire Tokyo Jim was trying to sign Starfield as a timed exclusive which forced Phil's hand. Probably something someone made up, but its not something you want to entertain.

EDIT: This is the speculation I am talking about.

Last edited:

TrueLegend

It's not an arms race, it's a chicken fight. Sony will always win most battles if not all but it just can't afford to go to war with Microsoft.

They have fewer resources so naturally have to be more focused.
This is partly true.

But
Microsoft has no other choice but to buy Big brand established developers. MS is behind behind. Only way to pull some consumers from Sony is to make a Purchase that prevent big name ips from being played on PS.

Sony goes for smaller name studios bc they can and will be talked about, also cheaper, and they make these studios grow and establish big name new IP’s

i dont think MS has good management in Place to oversee or time to waste on smaller Studio/ips until they become bigger and better within the company

KAL2006

Banned

Exactly they won't by a studio as a running cost for a studio is expensive if they have a ton of studios that's larger running costs and if they don't make a profit that's alot of losses. Microsoft are going for the loss leadig long-term goal model with gamepass. They are like Netflix they can greenlight a ton of games to pump into Gamepass and have a ton of studio running cost.

I will say that doesn't mean Sony will only acquire studuos that they have publish games with. I think it's more to do with strategy and risk and alot of studios they have published fit that model but something like aqyiring Remedy which they haven't published a game for isn't out of the question. It's all a case by case thing.

I think Sony has around 11 billion thats more then enough to make a splash. I dont think any other Publisher is worth around 7.5 billion, except a few…. Rockstar, ea, actiblizz others are wayyyy cheaper. Sony can splash the money too. But its about being smart with your money as well. Yes MS is upwards of 240 billion. But 11 billion is no pocket change. sony would never out negotiate Ms
He said the obvious they don't have the cash to make it rain

Akuji

wtf? they make way more money with their gaming devision they can reinvest.
this microsoft war chest myth never came true besides Minecraft and Bethesda which both havent yet shown anything for the plattform.
Minecraft is destined for multi plat so no suprise here. Elder Scrolls is in designing phase as confirmed once again....

Playstation is not in an arms race because microsoft is no threat yet. Hopefully they become a threat so sony has to try harder. Xbox lost alot of confidence where i live, atleast in my friends group. while last gen everyone had a ps4 and a xbox one, now nobody own an xbox series console while most of us have an ps5 again.
But everyones main plattform is pc anyway. Consoles just for exclusives.

KAL2006

Banned
MS has more cash on hand than Sony's market cap. They know they cant get into a bidding war with MS.

Acquiring studios with prior relationship like Insomniac, Bluepoint, Housemarque and KojiPro makes more sense than going after big publishers like Zenimax, Square Enix, Sega or Ubisoft. He knows the moment he makes a bid for Square, Phil will just outbid him. If I were Jim, I would be careful about all those timed exclusives from Square. FF7, FF16 and now Forspoken. It reminds me of that speculation that after DeathLoop, Ghostwire Tokyo Jim was trying to sign Starfield as a timed exclusive which forced Phil's hand. Probably something someone made up, but its not something you want to entertain.

So you think Microsoft bought Zenimax cause they were pissed at Sony for time exclusives. I swear some of the posters here make it seem like a full on battle ground with Microsoft like Phil has a grin on his face and orders purchases based on Sony time exclusives.

The reality is Zenimax were bought because because they wanted to be sold based on alot of their games not performing that well such as Dishonored 2, Wolfenstein, Evil Within 2, Prey and etc. Also Fallout 76 wasn't received as well and their output after Skyrim is taking ages.

Cyborg

Focus is always better. Not saying the acquisition MS did is bad. Its a great get but they did pay a LOT!

I like the PS tactics more. Buy amazing studios that deliver on the output. Start partnerships with external studios to create new IPs (that PS owns) and if ot works out you can be sure they will be bought.

Zannrebel

I don't think resources plays as big a part as you think. Sure, Microsoft has a lot more money, that's a fact. But in terms of acquisitions, Sony's strategy has been consistent. And it begins with established relationships. Always has.
They tried to buy the Publisher Lyoue for 1 billion...

Lone Wolf

This is partly true.

But
Microsoft has no other choice but to buy Big brand established developers. MS is behind behind. Only way to pull some consumers from Sony is to make a Purchase that prevent big name ips from being played on PS.

Sony goes for smaller name studios bc they can and will be talked about, also cheaper, and they make these studios grow and establish big name new IP’s

i dont think MS has good management in Place to oversee or time to waste on smaller Studio/ips until they become bigger and better within the company
This is inaccurate. Microsoft has bought both established studios and smaller studios. Also has bought studios they have had a long lasting relationship with such As Playground Games. You are way off.

Akuji

Having a PC as your main platform would explain why no one in your friends group has a Series S/X.
nobody plays xbox games as well. we all play league/starcraft 2/world of warcraft/among us/valorant etc. so the multiplayer games.
God of War for example was a game everyone played and we had play groups. but god of war was the biggest game.
Bloodborne a close 2nd.

oh, nevermind. Cuphead was played in groups when it released the first time. Great game.

bender

What time is it?
nobody plays xbox games as well. we all play league/starcraft 2/world of warcraft/among us/valorant etc. so the multiplayer games.
God of War for example was a game everyone played and we had play groups. but god of war was the biggest game.
Bloodborne a close 2nd.

oh, nevermind. Cuphead was played in groups when it released the first time. Great game.

But even if Microsoft had dozens of appealing exclusives, you could still just play those on your PC.

skit_data

Makes sense, altough I bet they’ve realized they have to be more swift as well. They can’t just help build the reputation of a studio for several gens and then aquire the studio.

I think Ninja Theory was a great get for Xbox and I have a feeling Sony was looking forward to working with them in the future before Xbox bought them. Now they simply can’t.

Last edited:

Akuji

But even if Microsoft had dozens of appealing exclusives, you could still just play those on your PC.
yeah true. its what i hope for. i just dont agree with the premise that microsoft has unlimited budget and can solve every problem with money while playstation is the poor boy fighting with everything he has because he cannot afford to play with the big boys.
dont know how the fuck people would ever come to that conclusion.

That's smart, no reason to waste money, try to get the most bang for your buck and acquire companies that you have a strong working relationship.
Pretty sure Sony's acquisitions won't be a surprise/ or out of left field for most of them, just like when Microsoft acquired Playground games, wasn't surprising with the work they have been doing for 10 years on Forza and that relationship. Moving forward I expect that same with Blue Point.

bender

What time is it?
yeah true. its what i hope for. i just dont agree with the premise that microsoft has unlimited budget and can solve every problem with money while playstation is the poor boy fighting with everything he has because he cannot afford to play with the big boys.
dont know how the fuck people would ever come to that conclusion.

Microsoft stagnated a bunch of their tent pole releases and Phil is trying to course correct. I think he's done an admirable job so far but we've yet to see the fruit of their investments (and probably will not for a few more years). Game Pass and Cross Buy /w PC are great programs.

While a lot of Sony's output no longer appeals to me, they are always great about introducing new franchises or reinventing existing IP to help prevent stagnation.

MOTM

Banned
Last edited:
Top Bottom