• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Exec: PS5 exclusives will be "more important than they've ever been," talks Gran Turismo 7 benefiting from PS5 features

Moogle11

Banned
I think exclusives will matter more than last gen where they built a huge lead with a very weak launch year library (to be fair X1's was weak too) as MS gave the generation away with the bungled X1 reveal (DRM plan, TV focus) and then bungled the launch being $100 more for a weaker machine with a Kinect that few people wanted.

This gen it looks like MS and Sony will have pretty similar boxes that run games pretty similarly to where only the diehards will care about differences and that will likely be priced more similarly. Exclusives matter more in that case.

I still don't think they will be a huge driving factor in who sales more consoles though. The market leader has only changed across generations when the prior leader has screwed up, for the most part. Sony capitalized on Nintendo sticking with carts and high licensing fees with the N64, Nintendo and MS capitalized on Sony having the PS3 be so pricey to push Bluray and the terrible "people will work second jobs to afford it PR," and Sony capitalized on MS's bungles last generation.

With no screw ups people are likely to just stick with what they owned/mained the prior generation like we saw with the SNES and PS2. People generally need a reason to change--why change if you were happy with what you got and it looks to be more of the same or better? That's probably even more true today as people get more locked into ecosystems the more digital games and services they get tied into. Beyond that, the general genre focus of Sony, MS and Nintendo's first party libraries are pretty much known commodities at this point so for people with clear preferences among them it's a pretty damn safe bet to stick with what they owned/mained this generation.

Last edited:

skneogaf

He says the 3d audio is a major thing, pretty sure games like forza horizon 3 and 4 and the latest grid support dolby atmos which in my opinion will be better than tempest engine or whatever its called.

Sounds good to me.

People are acting like this is some kind of upset. The PSX was outclassed a year after its US launch, TECHNICALLY, by N64 though the whole thing with that
and the cart holding it back - lets not even go there. And then not long after that Dreamcast.... But the PSX was still the best selling machine until the PS2 came out.
The PS2 came out and was panned for having in some cases worse image quality than the Dreamcast even if it did better geometry and lighting it looked muddy.
Then the Gamecube, and Xbox came out BOTH were more powerful.... yet the PS2 dominated.

Then the PS3 came out a year after 360 and while its exclusives were beautiful it was sort of a third party underdog except in specific circumstances or when it came
to features like the BDROM and ... yes, big exclusives like MGS4.....

Then PS4 came out and finally not just on paper it FINALLY had a power advantage over the competition in the first real world way since the 94-96 timeframe....
And by the end of the generation even after a mid-gen refresh it was once again one-upped by the XBOX ONE X.

So people acting doom and gloom about the PS5 only doing 85% of the Floating point ops the Series X does and thinking this is some kind of upset of
hail-mary by team Xbox..... Im sorry to be the one to break this to you but its absolutely status quo- Only the PS4 was the exception and it wasnt the power
gap that won it the generation, it was the games.

ElDiablo90x

Neo Member
They have the money to do it now and it is really frustrating that they have nearly 30 billion sitting there being hoarded and are not investing in the future.

They could buy Capcom or Bethesda or Square.... hell, they could buy all 3.

Or they could buy a few smaller studios like MiHoYo, Housemarque, Bluepoint and Kojima Studios. Maybe Remedy.

But no...
I'd want them to buy Larian Studios. Sony needs proper RPG talent in their WWS portfolio. Tell them to make an Elder Scrolls competitor with an AAA budget and we can see some interesting things...

Bankai

I’ve been feeling like the GT7 footage has been a little under appreciated since the event. Sure, it’s cross gen but still looked really good

I don't understand it either. There's great raytracing, a fast framerate and fantastic textures. Only thing I was disappointed by was the "old school" LOD/pop-in, but other than that it look sreally awesome IMO.

Dory16

Banned
"Sitting in the cockpit, the 3D audio allows you to hear the thunderous roar of a Ferrari behind you or in front of you, and you can recognise the difference between that and the engine noise of a Maserati. Driving the car using the DualSense controller, you’ll have a different feeling in your hands from the smooth undulating tarmac of a racetrack, compared to the gritty sensation on a gravel track. Pressing a soft accelerator will feel very different than pressing on a stiff brake pedal or gear paddle.”

And when I hit a wall at 180 mph Simon, will my beautiful bonnet still look even better?
Can't wait to see the impressive physics and damage simulation that the dualsense enables.

IMO kinda odd they highlighted GT7 because out of the 1st party shown it was among one of the weakest IMHO; wasn't there already a listing leak for a PS4 version of the game on a Brazilian website?

Not saying the game looks bad at all, btw. But R&C and the new HZD easily showed the hardware off much better IMHO. Easily two of the best next-gen showcases so far, regardless of console/platform. Lead with those if you want to promote the capabilities of the hardware, Sony ;)

Last edited:
"Sitting in the cockpit, the 3D audio allows you to hear the thunderous roar of a Ferrari behind you or in front of you, and you can recognise the difference between that and the engine noise of a Maserati. Driving the car using the DualSense controller, you’ll have a different feeling in your hands from the smooth undulating tarmac of a racetrack, compared to the gritty sensation on a gravel track. Pressing a soft accelerator will feel very different than pressing on a stiff brake pedal or gear paddle.”

And when I hit a wall at 180 mph Simon, will my beautiful bonnet still look even better?
Can't wait to see the impressive physics and damage simulation that the dualsense enables.

GT isnt demolition derby. The idea isnt to take accurate damage. GT is a driving simulator not a crash test simulator. You shouldnt be touching anything while
driving... if you do in a substantial way you're probably going to want to restart the race. That'll happen nearly instantly with the fast storage access.

IMO kinda odd they highlighted GT7 because out of the 1st party shown it was among one of the weakest IMHO; wasn't there already a listing leak for a PS4 version of the game on a Brazilian website?

Not saying the game looks bad at all, btw. But R&C and the new HZD easily showed the hardware off much better IMHO. Easily two of the best next-gen showcases so far, regardless of console/platform. Lead with those if you want to promote the capabilities of the hardware, Sony ;)

Hardware capabilities sure but I am not sure that was the point given they started off with GTA5... Again. I think they're trying to shove in games people will want or will give the "must have" kneejerk. I do think GT7 looked pretty great though, especially considering how much some of the past GT games improved from preview versions to full retail- And this isnt even at that stage yet. The suspension simulation already looked REALLY good.

He thinks that looks identical? I mean in the sense that they are the same cars in the same proportions (of course that doesnt change, jesus christ) and the same tracks (because they are real
tracks and they have to start from somewhere) But... Are you looking at the same thing? Even in this compressed video you can see the difference in aliasing, the GIANT LEAP in lighting and shading..
The fact that GT sport is SO GOOD running on a 7 year old system with a weak CPU doesnt mean that this early version of GT7 isnt showing generational improvement.
Its GOING to be essentially the "same thing" especially in still screenshots but what you can see does already look a lot more touchable, real, and just the way sunlight, tail lights
and reflections alone look are enough to make a big difference in a driving game.

Edit: Commented to direct at the OP of the "identical" comment and not the guy posting the video.

Last edited:

Dory16

Banned
GT isnt demolition derby. The idea isnt to take accurate damage. GT is a driving simulator not a crash test simulator. You shouldnt be touching anything while
driving... if you do in a substantial way you're probably going to want to restart the race. That'll happen nearly instantly with the fast storage access.
I know this is a GT7 thread but "you're not supposed to crash" is a tough sell when your competition has tyre pressure simulation. It depends on your gaming preferences I guess and I know GT has its crowd.

I’ve been feeling like the GT7 footage has been a little under appreciated since the event. Sure, it’s cross gen but still looked really good

Personally I think the contention comes from them having next-gen R&C and Horizon at the same event. With them not there GT7 would've seemed much stronger showing to me, but those two games just leapfrogged over it in terms of impressive visuals.

Still though, GT7 looks very good especially considering it's a cross-gen release (I think).

Hardware capabilities sure but I am not sure that was the point given they started off with GTA5... Again. I think they're trying to shove in games people will want or will give the "must have" kneejerk. I do think GT7 looked pretty great though, especially considering how much some of the past GT games improved from preview versions to full retail- And this isnt even at that stage yet. The suspension simulation already looked REALLY good.

I still remember seeing GT3 screens the first time in EGM and being outright floored by how realistic the graphics were for the time. That's even aside from the hardware upgrade in PS2 over PS1. Got the same feeling with GT4 over GT3. GT5 kind of dropped the ball for me since they relied so much on PS2-era car models, it became a meme not before too long. GT6 improved that though, FWIW.

Can't say GT7 has the same effect on me as GT3 or GT4 did, and I do think it could look better visually, but overall I do think it looks great. And speaking of suspension system, the physics should hopefully be spot-on!

They have the money to do it now and it is really frustrating that they have nearly 30 billion sitting there being hoarded and are not investing in the future.

They could buy Capcom or Bethesda or Square.... hell, they could buy all 3.

Or they could buy a few smaller studios like MiHoYo, Housemarque, Bluepoint and Kojima Studios. Maybe Remedy.

But no...

That's not how it works.

Sony has something like $17bn of debt as well, so really has $12-13bn of free cash. Square Enix has an enterprise value of c. $5.5bn, and ZeniMax (owner of Bethesda) is probably worth something along those lines as well. Bottom line is... they can perhaps buy one, but certainly not all 3.

Regarding GT7, speaking as an avid GT Sport player, to enhance immersion, above and beyond load times and ray tracing which are a given for the new gen anyway, they really need to work on collision modelling and audio. No use in having 3D audio given how poor GT's engine/tyre audio is and has been to date.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
I'd want them to buy Larian Studios. Sony needs proper RPG talent in their WWS portfolio. Tell them to make an Elder Scrolls competitor with an AAA budget and we can see some interesting things...
Well, Larian would be great but I am biased since they have offices in Dublin.

My thought behind Bethesda would be that they get some great shooters... Doom (also mascot level) Wolfenstein and whatever Arkane decide to do next.

They get Elderscrolls and Fallout to fill that old school RPG space and counter the Obsidian buyout.

and finally they would get Mikami and great pedigree in the horror genre, they would then have the creators of Silent Hill and RE working for them.

The integration of such a company would result in a lot of admin being let go..... so it would actually make it a more lean organisation.... things like accounts just go straight to SIE.

But they could just buy a few smaller studios, that would be cheaper but less of a shock to the industry.

ethomaz

Banned
GT7 is a really bad example to use since it literally looked almost identical to Sport
We watched two different games then... just the RT reflections already make the game totally different at first view.
The same car is totally different for example.

Now if you mean the detail in the cars well the car like the format, aesthetic, material, etc are the same it won't change ever.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
That's not how it works.

... and Sony has something like $17bn of debt as well.

Square Enix has an enterprise value of c. $5.5bn, and ZeniMax (owner of Bethesda) is probably worth something along those lines as well. Bottom line is... they can't buy all 3.
Every company has debt.... that's why I mentioned that their debt / equity ratio was very healthy.
I would expect them to mostly use debt financing because it's so cheap at the moment and leave their cash mostly untouched.

I would never say to buy all three... simply pointing out that they could if the comanies were willing to sell.
Zenimax was worth about 2.5 to 3 billion last time I checked but can fluctuate.

Anyway, I think there were some talks because Ghostwire Tokyo and Deathloop are both 1 year exclusives with PS5 and that doesn't happen out of nowhere.

tryDEATH

That looks like the car just got a glossier paint job and a weird spot light that creates extreme contrast shadows that are turned up to 11

Also why does it look exactly like GT:S in the showroom, is this too a reskin/update for a PS4 title that will also be a PS5 title just like Spider-Man MM.

If exclusives are so important why do their exclusives look so lackluster?

Which ones look lackluster to you?

Ratchet & Clank, Horizon zero Dawn 2 and Demon Souls look really good to me. Not to mention you can play PS4 games like Ghosts of Tsushima and The Last of Us Part 2 which look pretty amazing to me.

Maybe you're talking about Astrobot or that Sackboy Adventure game?

Bryank75

Banned
That looks like the car just got a glossier paint job and a weird spot light that creates extreme contrast shadows that are turned up to 11

Also why does it look exactly like GT:S in the showroom, is this too a reskin/update for a PS4 title that will also be a PS5 title just like Spider-Man MM.
They already did new 4K models for GT:S, so it will be the same models for the cars they already did with raytracing applied and resolution increased. You can't make the models any more accurate beyond that.

Last edited:
They already did new 4K models for GT:S, so it will be the same models for the cars they already did with raytracing applied and resolution increased. You can't make the models any more accurate beyond that.

I guess the bigger upgrades will be the detail of the tracks, weather systems, lighting systems and sound. However from the screenshots I do see a pretty big upgrade where the materials are concerned.

Bryank75

Banned
If exclusives are so important why do their exclusives look so lackluster?
After the last 7 - 10 years of Xbox exclusives, you'd think you'd have more self awareness than this....

PlayStation studios just got a 96 meta for TLOU2, they got an 89 for Dreams earlier this year.
Critically acclaimed games almost every year, many years 2 or 3 critically acclaimed games.

Meanwhile Halo has been pretty bad for a decade, yet it's being hyped for the end of this year..

Jtibh

Banned

Spiderman mm is ps5 only no ps4.

Watch the other video on 4k . Raytracing makes a huge difference. The rest i dont know i hate racing games

Jtibh

Banned

Ratchet & Clank, Horizon zero Dawn 2 and Demon Souls look really good to me. Not to mention you can play PS4 games like Ghosts of Tsushima and The Last of Us Part 2 which look pretty amazing to me.

Astrobot lack luster? Peasants dont know shit. They can stick to their iphones playing candy crush and minecraft.

I wanted to say this somewhere long time ago.
Many many users here bitch about price.
Many many users here bitch about weak sony and microsoft showings and games.

I am here cuz i love games and everything new i am excites for. I am here cuz this is my main hobby ans therefor i never complain about price.
I am here cuz i am a gamer by heart.

But most here are fucking clueless or just young or are these twitch poor mans audience twats who are all about fortnite and shit and never played anything else and have zero history in gaming.

For someone like me who started at the beginning with 2600 c64 amiga and and and it is insulting the shit i read many write in this forum

MadYarpen

Is GT using real engines sounds?

It may be a stupid question, but I recall something like they were software generated, not a real thing. Or am I making stuff up?

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
After the last 7 - 10 years of Xbox exclusives, you'd think you'd have more self awareness than this....

PlayStation studios just got a 96 meta for TLOU2, they got an 89 for Dreams earlier this year.
Critically acclaimed games almost every year, many years 2 or 3 critically acclaimed games.

Meanwhile Halo has been pretty bad for a decade, yet it's being hyped for the end of this year..

Do you think this is about the PS4?

I thought this was about next gen?

93xfan

Banned
Man been preaching a new SOCOM for many years. It was, and I believe still could be Sony’s premiere shooter, like MS has Halo. They are really dropping the ball on this.

Yep. This and BC for PS1 and PS2 could’ve swayed me easily. But even if they did, seeing the way they shut down servers left and right, I don’t know what to think... they’ve done a good job of losing me as a customer.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman

No, I'm literally talking about every game that was at the June 11th show, including Horizon II.

I'm a Sony fan(boy?). I've loved just about everything Sony had said and done leading up to their PS5 event. I like true exclusives. I believed in the SSD. The controller innovations were exciting. I was ready to go nuts after the showing.

Then I saw games that look like they play exactly like PS2, PS3, and PS4 era games, only they look slightly better.

I expected to see a gameplay jump from a few games and I expected to see a bigger graphical leap as well.

I'm probably going to still pick up a PS5 because I'm such a fan, but literally every game I saw a few days ago was, to a varying degree, disappointing to me.

And this Ratchet and Clank talk is so bizarre to me. This is a stale franchise, targeted towards kids, that's never really been considered an A tier franchise. Now all of a sudden because it has a (SSD) gimmick I'm supposed to fawn all over it?

Sony didn't win me over yet. Not by a long shot

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned

Track records.... it carries over. So far Xbox has had no really great games.... and Series X shares all exclusives with past Xbox's...... so yeah, they do count if you accept Xbox's strategy!

Moogle11

Banned
No, I'm literally talking about every game that was at the June 11th show, including Horizon II.

I'm a Sony fan(boy?). I've loved just about everything Sony had said and done leading up to their PS5 event. I like true exclusives. I believed in the SSD. The controller innovations were exciting. I was ready to go nuts after the showing.

Then I saw games that look like they play exactly like PS2, PS3, and PS4 era games, only they look slightly better.

I expected to see a gameplay jump from a few games and I expected to see a bigger graphical leap as well.

I'm probably going to still pick up a PS5 because I'm such a fan, but literally every game I saw a few days ago was, to a varying degree, disappointing to me.

And this Ratchet and Clank talk is so bizarre to me. This is a stale franchise, targeted towards kids, that's never really been considered an A tier franchise. Now all of a sudden because it has a (SSD) gimmick I'm supposed to fawn all over it?

Sony didn't win me over yet. Not by a long shot

Nothing wrong with that view. I'm the opposite as Sony has just had my current tastes down to a tee these past couple of generations so I'm totally good with more of the same with a fresh coat of paint. Same with Nintendo as I've been a big fan of a ton of their games from the 3DS, Wii U and Switch after falling off their exclusives a bit in the GC and Wii generations.

For Ratchet and Clank, I agree it's not really some "system seller" level game, but I really loved the remake/reboot on PS4 so I'm looking forward to it. It's not enough to get me to buy day 1 if it's the main launch title though. Horizon 2 probably needs to be out for me to buy in as I don't think RC and/or a shorter Spider-man spinoff game will do it for me (GT7 is moot as I don't like racing sims).

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Track records.... it carries over. So far Xbox has had no really great games.... and Series X shares all exclusives with past Xbox's...... so yeah, they do count if you accept Xbox's strategy!

I don't view Microsoft based on what they produced over the last 10 years.

The investment they've shown lately is super encouraging, and it seems clear they waved the white flag on this gen a while ago in an attempt to start the next gen off with a bang.

Moogle11

Banned

Sony, MS and Nintendo are pretty much known commodities in terms of what they focus on most heavily in terms of genres and styles of games with their first party libraries. It's a pretty safe bet that people will be mostly happy if they stick with which ever platform(s) they had the past couple of generations if exclusives were a bit part of the draw for them.

MS acquired a bunch of studies, but they aren't studios that are likely to start making a bunch of cinematic, narrative driven games like many of Sony's first party studies, or charming, family friendly games and IP that Nintendo is known for. I bet MS will have a much stronger lineup of exclusives this generation, I'm not very optimistic that all that many will be up my alley. And that's perfectly fine as it's great having 3 console platforms plus pc with their own unique strengths in their exclusives. It's a waste having platforms doing mostly the same thing.

Next gen is also likely to be very sequel heavy again, which makes it even easier to stick with your current platform(s) if you loved those games and have the inevitable sequels as your most anticipated games of next gen like I do.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
I don't view Microsoft based on what they produced over the last 10 years.

The investment they've shown lately is super encouraging, and it seems clear they waved the white flag on this gen a while ago in an attempt to start the next gen off with a bang.
Well, lets hope they don't wave the white flag too soon into the next gen then.... that wouldn't be 'super encouraging'.

Good, im just hoping multiplatform take advantage of the fast data speed for ps5, and sony please bring back socom, that game is a sleeping giant wake it up ffs

Sony really needs a first party FPS or TPS that's military themed. The potential that games like Socom, MAG 2 or a Killzone 2 style Multiplayer Standalone game could have on PS5 are endless. I was seriously expecting one of those games to show up at the reveal. Just imagine Socom on PS5 with Last of Us 2 style graphics and animation! I would cry!

that graphical jump will still be there once UE5 is here. These are crossgen titles showcasing small added nextgen features: like crazy SSD loading in Ratchet and accurate raytraced reflections that no one noticed in GT7

that said, it'll still be an empty jump forward. Still you in front of a tv pushing buttons.

VR is the ultimate nextgen gaming - you inside the games. and I've been into it for the past 2+ years and it's mind-blowing even with last generation graphics. I can't wait for Sony to show what's to come in the true future of games...

Top Bottom