• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 7 is significantly more fun than Forza 7.

Gudji

@OP

Scared Meet The Browns GIF by TV One

It’s a dumb gameplay design. You know how you prove you learned skills to compete by winning races. WTf I need to get a license to to that bad design.
I disagree. I prefer the more slower paced career versus the one that throws money, cars, and high end racing at you just for sneezing in the direction of the UI. To each his own.

Fatmanp

Curious. What does the UI/UX have to do with actually playing the driving segments of a driving game?

Atleast on the PS5, there is no time to enjoy the UI.

Just that the menu system is still a holdover from GT5. I would also like to disable many elements of the hud

Crayon

Curious. What does the UI/UX have to do with actually playing the driving segments of a driving game?

Atleast on the PS5, there is no time to enjoy the UI.

If we're talking about how holistically fun one finds a game, then I think the ui is a legit thing to consider. There's a lot going gt7 that is connected together by that ui. I'm not about to exaggerate to make my point but I would say it could make the overall game more fun if it was better. I've played a bunch and I'm playing it again on psvr and here's how the ui is possibly effecting fun for me: I spend a long time playing and thinking "i wish it could do this" or "it's weird how it does that" and eventually that becomes "grumble grumble" and then it dings the fun a bit.

Only a little reading would give you the answers you seek and clear any confusion.

Or maybe you can read the OP as well and realize he's comparing a new next gen racing experience to one that came out near 6 years ago right when Xbox One brand reception was in rebound and when Forza stopped doing annual releases.

Or maybe you can read the OP as well and realize he's comparing a new next gen racing experience to one that came out near 6 years ago right when Xbox One brand reception was in rebound and when Forza stopped doing annual releases.
GT7 was built around the PS4 and its limitation just like FM7 was around the Xbox One. It’s super weird how people here just want to make bullshit excuses instead of having actual discussions.

GT7 was built around the PS4 and its limitation just like FM7 was around the Xbox One. It’s super weird how people here just want to make bullshit excuses instead of having actual discussions.

Ironic.

GT7 was designed with the PS5 in mind, that doesn't mean that the PS4 wasn't involved with the developer process, but as we can clearly see it's released as a major PS5 title, and as the designers said, they had VR in mind during the design as well, and not for PS4 VR.

As for excuses, excuses for what? You didn't feel Forza 7 was in the right place, that's fine. They were already having problems keeping the consistency up before it since 5, and decided after 7's reception earlier on to not go the bi-annual route again and to try and keep fixing 7 in the long term while they went to work on a much more ambitious sequel.

GT7 didn't have that problem, was a new experience that ended up for a new system and it's accessory, that was a major jump from GT6 and Poly put in the time and effort to create that next generation rejuvenation that brought back your interest.

For two games years apart in dev cycle and near 6 years apart in release.

It just doesn't seem like a fair comparison to me. I think you should wait for the Forza reboot imo, but that's up to you.

Ironic.

GT7 was designed with the PS5 in mind, that doesn't mean that the PS4 wasn't involved with the developer process, but as we can clearly see it's released as a major PS5 title, and as the designers said, they had VR in mind during the design as well, and not for PS4 VR.

As for excuses, excuses for what? You didn't feel Forza 7 was in the right place, that's fine. They were already having problems keeping the consistency up before it since 5, and decided after 7's reception earlier on to not go the bi-annual route again and to try and keep fixing 7 in the long term while they went to work on a much more ambitious sequel.

GT7 didn't have that problem, was a new experience that ended up for a new system and it's accessory, that was a major jump from GT6 and Poly put in the time and effort to create that next generation rejuvenation that brought back your interest.

For two games years apart in dev cycle and near 6 years apart in release.

It just doesn't seem like a fair comparison to me. I think you should wait for the Forza reboot imo, but that's up to you.
I’ll be playing FM8 day and date on Game Pass. It’s one of my most looked forward to games this year. And I hope the devs are right when they talk about the career mode changes.

Crayon

Really they aren't that different and all the sequels are incremental improvements at this point. He's just talking about two similar games that are out.

Romulus

People exaggerate alot and I think both games are fairly close. GT7 takes the edge but when you play it in VR it's on a completely different level. There's no way forza 8,9, 10+ will come close if you're still looking at a 2d monitor. Life sized cars and environments with depth perception in VR is so convincing that you actually feel inside the car is unparalleled. Thats not an exaggeration in the slightest either.

sendit

People exaggerate alot and I think both games are fairly close. GT7 takes the edge but when you play it in VR it's on a completely different level. There's no way forza 8,9, 10+ will come close if you're still looking at a 2d monitor. Life sized cars and environments with depth perception in VR is so convincing that you actually feel inside the car is unparalleled. Thats not an exaggeration in the slightest either.

Agreed. Graphic upgrades are a given with every new console generation (no surprise there). With that said, Full body movement is generally hard to replicate in consumer grade VR experiences. However, a driving game is something that is replicated well in home VR setups due to being stationary in a seating position. This is a massive jump in being immersed in the driving experience versus more foliage/track detail.

Last edited:

Kacho

Gold Member
I don’t doubt it. Forza Motorsport became ultra stale during the Xbox One era and FM7 was probably the worst of the bunch. The career mode was so lifeless, so…uninspired. Dropped it after 20 hours iirc. That series peaked with FM4 and hasn’t recovered.

Hopefully Sony releases a more traditional GT later this gen with limited MTX and no online requirement. I’d love to give the series another go when I have a PS5. Haven’t played one since GT4.

Comparing a game exclusive to a new current gen console releasing less than a year ago, to a game on a last gen consoles from almost 6 years ago.

Interesting. The threads even 4 pages.
Yet that doesn't stop people from bringing up games to compare like the Witcher, Batman and Driveclub. So it's okay to compare some old games, but not others.

SRTtoZ

Gran Turismo always has this classy feel that I loved over Forza. Don't get me wrong, the first couple Forzas had much better car customization but GT has always been my go to when it comes to racing games. I enjoy Forza Horizon too but it's a bit too arcadey for me where you just drive around doing whatever. It's a more relaxing experience than the sim games. Also, now that I've played GT in VR it's game changing. I hope they find a way for Forza to get VR.

Last edited:
Says people exaggerate a lot.
Proceeds to exaggerate a lot.
VR doesn't suddenly make everything go from 2D to 3D. It doesn't make the cars or environment any more life sized compared to non-VR. It doesn't create this incredibly realistic depth perception comparatively either. Especially in a racing game.
This isn't really an insult, but most simulation racers feel sterile compared Gran Turismo which is probably why it is the only simulation series that I've really gotten into. It feels more like a love letter to car collecting.
Most simulation racers are sterile compared to GT because..... that's the only series you're into? Well, you're certainly entitled to your opinion.

My take is that having over 400 cars to collect just doesn't feel as good a love letter as over 700 does.

Romulus

Says people exaggerate a lot.
Proceeds to exaggerate a lot.
VR doesn't suddenly make everything go from 2D to 3D. It doesn't make the cars or environment any more life sized compared to non-VR. It doesn't create this incredibly realistic depth perception comparatively either. Especially in a racing game.

Tell me you haven't used high end VR without telling me. It absolutely does suddenly go from 2d to 3d. And yeah, we have an 85 inch TV and the cars and game environments look tiny on that TV compared to VR. Depth perception in a VR racing game is huge.

Was this ever in question?

The only Forza game that tends to get any attention is Forza Horizon. The mainline Forza games I always got the impression that even hardcore Xbox fans don't care about; since they never talk about the series.

Was this ever in question?

The only Forza game that tends to get any attention is Forza Horizon. The mainline Forza games I always got the impression that even hardcore Xbox fans don't care about; since they never talk about the series.
The series has a huge following tho. There are a lot of streamers and tuners that have entire channels just for Forza Motorsport.

Yet that doesn't stop people from bringing up games to compare like the Witcher, Batman and Driveclub. So it's okay to compare some old games, but not others.

Except those games were in decline, and then having the company change strategy because of piling issues with their old strategy resulting in worsening and lukewarm content, which led to them spending more time on the upcoming release and spending more time trying to flesh out and update the last one, which fell short in many areas.

Forza 7 was exceptionally lacking when it came out. There were many factors at play that caused it to be looked at poorly by fans that even a person not interested much in racing sims as myself and others clearly saw that Forza was starting to lose it's status of being consistent quality and the sales were also showing that people were skipping on buying it.

GT7 is in a completely different situation with a completely different idea facing a completely different set of problems and was intended to be a step-up from GT6 and provided what Forza 7 was lacking, and it's age is relevant in this case, especially the console that Forza 7 released on. it was a sub-par experience.

Forza Reboot will be a true test to see if Forza can go back to being that 9 rated franchise sim community cares about and sell well again.

In the meantime while Forza was screwing up 3 games in a row, Forza Horizon grew leaps and bounds 3 games in a row, likely at 30 million players by now.

Unknown?

Except those games were in decline, and then having the company change strategy because of piling issues with their old strategy resulting in worsening and lukewarm content, which led to them spending more time on the upcoming release and spending more time trying to flesh out and update the last one, which fell short in many areas.

Forza 7 was exceptionally lacking when it came out. There were many factors at play that caused it to be looked at poorly by fans that even a person not interested much in racing sims as myself and others clearly saw that Forza was starting to lose it's status of being consistent quality and the sales were also showing that people were skipping on buying it.

GT7 is in a completely different situation with a completely different idea facing a completely different set of problems and was intended to be a step-up from GT6 and provided what Forza 7 was lacking, and it's age is relevant in this case, especially the console that Forza 7 released on. it was a sub-par experience.

Forza Reboot will be a true test to see if Forza can go back to being that 9 rated franchise sim community cares about and sell well again.

In the meantime while Forza was screwing up 3 games in a row, Forza Horizon grew leaps and bounds 3 games in a row, likely at 30 million players by now.
Yeah because they practically give it away, it's no where near 30 million sold.

Yet their sales are paltry with this series. So how huge can that following be?
I don't know what the sales are but I can tell you the series is quite popular just based off how many youtube channels the game has and how big they are. This doesn't really seem like a point worth arguing btw.

https://www.youtube.com/@DonJoewonSong/about

700k people think this guy making Forza content is worth following.

Last edited:
Top Bottom