• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Exec: PS5 exclusives will be "more important than they've ever been," talks Gran Turismo 7 benefiting from PS5 features

EkCF9fFxDrTgFbVEXYV8Sk-650-80.jpg.webp

PS5 exclusive games will be more important than ever for the next-gen console, according to PlayStation Europe executive vice president Simon Rutter.

Speaking with The Guardian, Rutter reiterated that exclusive games remain "hugely important" to the company. "More important, I think, than they’ve ever been," he said. "Through their proximity to the system’s designers, PlayStation’s studios are able to really extract the most out of the system performance and that’s a really valuable attribute for a platform holder to have. [PlayStation] can rely on a studio network that can really show off the innovations that we’re trying to put across."

Rutter used Gran Turismo 7, one of the many upcoming PS5 games shown at the company's June 11 PS5 blowout, as one example of how exclusive games can make the most of PS5. "Gran Turismo 7 is going to benefit from almost every single technological enhancement that we have in PlayStation 5," he said. Rutter stressed that the 3D audio capabilities of the console, coupled with the tailored feedback of the DualSense controller, make for a uniquely engaging racing experience built on the PS5's feature kit.

Full Quote about GT7:

Take Gran Turismo, the hyper-realistic racing game that has been synonymous with PlayStation since the 90s. “Gran Turismo 7 is going to benefit from almost every single technological enhancement that we have in PlayStation 5,” says Rutter. “The loading times will be next to nothing compared to what they have been in the past. Sitting in the cockpit, the 3D audio allows you to hear the thunderous roar of a Ferrari behind you or in front of you, and you can recognise the difference between that and the engine noise of a Maserati. Driving the car using the DualSense controller, you’ll have a different feeling in your hands from the smooth undulating tarmac of a racetrack, compared to the gritty sensation on a gravel track. Pressing a soft accelerator will feel very different than pressing on a stiff brake pedal or gear paddle.”

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
The amount of huge, quality AAA games that come out of Sony first and second parties increased every generation. I can't see the strides they take on PS5.

Seeing what teams like Naughty Dog, Sucker Punch, Guerrilla Games, Insomniac, etc pulled off with a base PS4, it should be mindblowing to see their games running on over 10 TF and the world's best SSD.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
They were always important, I hope they don't talk about moneyhats.

THAT CONTROL DLC

Bryank75

Banned
Then why aren’t you expanding WWS Jim?
They have the money to do it now and it is really frustrating that they have nearly 30 billion sitting there being hoarded and are not investing in the future.

They could buy Capcom or Bethesda or Square.... hell, they could buy all 3.

Or they could buy a few smaller studios like MiHoYo, Housemarque, Bluepoint and Kojima Studios. Maybe Remedy.

But no...

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

ethomaz

Banned
The GT7 looked really great.

Sadly the DualSense new features doesn’t matter too much for a game used to be played with Wheel.

Little to no loading a game charger.

PS. I hope they make all modes VR ready and not just one small mode.

Last edited:
GT7 is a really bad example to use since it literally looked almost identical to Sport
No it didnt... Sport looks great and eventually you have diminishing returns but it def. looked better. Did you watch the trailer in 4k later
after the livestream? Obv the low quality stream wasnt showing everything off. I can tell you being a GT fan.... sport isnt the worse but
thank god for the SSD for loading times. Thank, god.

RaySoft

Good, im just hoping multiplatform take advantage of the fast data speed for ps5, and sony please bring back socom, that game is a sleeping giant wake it up ffs
The fast data speeds are just "there" so every game, multiplatform or not, will benefit from the faster loadspeeds.
With that said, what a multiplatform dev can't do, is designing the game around the fact that a ~9GB/s bandwidth of data is at hand at all times.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
They just bought one of the biggest third-party studios in the industry. Do we really want them to acquire a bunch of indie and AA studios? What would be the point if those studios don't produce system-selling level games?

Ps4 is their most successful console ever. They have the money. It’s the time to double down and expand WWS. Be it by opening up new studios or acquisitions.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
No it didnt... Sport looks great and eventually you have diminishing returns but it def. looked better. Did you watch the trailer in 4k later
after the livestream? Obv the low quality stream wasnt showing everything off. I can tell you being a GT fan.... sport isnt the worse but
thank god for the SSD for loading times. Thank, god.

The ray tracing alone and impeccable IQ made a world of difference in GT7.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Ps4 is their most successful console ever. They have the money. It’s the time to double down and expand WWS. Be it by opening up new studios or acquisitions.

I am sure they're gauging the economy as well, due to the COVID issues and millions out of jobs.

Klayzer

They have the money to do it now and it is really frustrating that they have nearly 30 billion sitting there being hoarded and are not investing in the future.

They could buy Capcom or Bethesda or Square.... hell, they could buy all 3.

Or they could buy a few smaller studios like MiHoYo, Housemarque, Bluepoint and Kojima Studios. Maybe Remedy.

But no...
That's some pretty unrealistic expectations. I'm guessing you're jesting. Insomniac was a major investment. I don't understand why you want a company to take on that type of debt, when those 3rd party games are on the system regardless.

Bryank75

Banned
Large acquisitions would have the most impact. They have the talent, they just need to launch a big warning shot across the industry after MS bought those studios.

Buying Bethesda or Capcom or something that big would be a big 'don't fuck with us' to everyone. Make everything exclusive so PC gamers all need to buy a PS5 to play.

Last edited:
The ray tracing alone and impeccable IQ made a world of difference in GT7.

I noticed a ton. Yes the lighting, yes the reflections, the bloom off the tail lights ahead- But if you look... the raised debris on the track, the texture and feel of a lot of the interior pieces. For some reason the roll cage was pretty bad looking, no idea why, I know the game is nowhere near release obviously. The way the suspension moves and unsettles.... I certainly think - Considering this game has been in development for a while and will be in development a while more, it looks like a generational jump.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Large acquisitions would have the most impact. They have the talent, they just need to launch a big warning shot across the industry after MS bought those studios.

Buying Bethesda or Capcom or something that big would be a big 'don't fuck with us' to everyone. Make everything exclusive so PC gamers all need to buy a PS5 to play.

You are thinking like a gamer, not a company executive.

Bryank75

Banned
That's some pretty unrealistic expectations. I'm guessing you're jesting. Insomniac was a major investment. I don't understand why you want a company to take on that type of debt, when those 3rd party games are on the system regardless.
They have the cash but you're right, I would advise debt financing since it's so cheap.... it's like free money right now. They have a very healthy debt/equity ratio, so it wouldn't really effect them at all in any way.

You missed that they have 27.4 billion or so in cash reserves... we are not talking about Sony from 10 years ago....

People should not forget that Gran Turismo looks a bit rough in trailers and the finished game is way better looking.Btw that is like that for all PlayStation studios all their games get an upgrade the further the Titel is in development.I hope that more small cars are in like Fiat panda Nissan micra.That was so addicting,to race your way up a bit like a rpg.

ethomaz

Banned
Yeah they'll be important for console sales.... So get a few out in that first year please.
I’m really interested to see the buzz in the industry if GT releases in the launch window again.

It is basically a game that people buy when purchase the console... so it heavy beneficiaste when it is there since beginning.

AllBizness

Banned
Need AAA multiplayer games like in PS3 era. 3rd parties are lacking in this area, everyone is scared to compete with COD, strait up pussy ass publishers we have. Sony needs to save us by putting out some multiplayer as well God please!

Thirty7ven

Banned

Not a fan of large acquisitions. Would rather they get somebody like IO.

bring me wild arms reboot, jade cocoon and rogue galaxy reboot and we'll talk
Id be happy with just you know, numbered games. I dont think I need a reboot. If you know these games and like them
I guess you've played them.... Dont you want MORE content not the same content again, shinier ? Thats how I feel by now.... Rogue Galaxy
is fantastic on its own , an outright sequel- though late coming, would be fine for me.

Vawn

Banned

Second most popular, but yeah. PS2 is the most successful console in all of gaming and likely will never be matched.

Last edited:

Klayzer

They have the cash but you're right, I would advise debt financing since it's so cheap.... it's like free money right now. They have a very healthy debt/equity ratio, so it wouldn't really effect them at all in any way.

You missed that they have 27.4 billion or so in cash reserves... we are not talking about Sony from 10 years ago....
A good way to lose that war chest is have a string of bad investments. I would rather them go the Nintendo way and reinvest in their own games.

They just bought one of the biggest third-party studios in the industry. Do we really want them to acquire a bunch of indie and AA studios? What would be the point if those studios don't produce system-selling level games?

Plus didn't they say they were still looking at other studios as well?

Top Bottom