• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Exec: PS5 exclusives will be "more important than they've ever been," talks Gran Turismo 7 benefiting from PS5 features

Moogle11

Banned
Sony really needs a first party FPS or TPS that's military themed. The potential that games like Socom, MAG 2 or a Killzone 2 style Multiplayer Standalone game could have on PS5 are endless. I was seriously expecting one of those games to show up at the reveal. Just imagine Socom on PS5 with Last of Us 2 style graphics and animation! I would cry!

They're probably just not worth the investment since there are so many third party shooters that dominate that market. Thus first party shooters don't move the needle like they used to as people will buy whatever console their earlier adopting buddies have to play CoD and other shooters with them. Thus they've focused on other things with their first party games to help sell consoles as Killzone and Resistance didn't move PS3s like they hoped and they've seen MS see sales of Halo and Gears not be as huge as the 360 installments.

Agreed it would be nice to have those IPs back. Maybe they could consider licensing some of them out to a third party willing to make an exclusive. They'd have to moneyhat it, but it would be less cost than fully funding development and lower risk for whoever made it that creating a new IP.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Sony really needs a first party FPS or TPS that's military themed. The potential that games like Socom, MAG 2 or a Killzone 2 style Multiplayer Standalone game could have on PS5 are endless. I was seriously expecting one of those games to show up at the reveal. Just imagine Socom on PS5 with Last of Us 2 style graphics and animation! I would cry!

Naughty Dog is 100 percent working on an ambitious stand-alone multiplayer game. It'll probably be Factions Mode II but potentially not. I expect it to be third person.

Guerilla Games is also definitely working on something multiplayer. It might be Horizon II multiplayer. It might be something totally new. Not sure if that'll be third person or first person because they hired a couple of developers from the Rainbow Six Siege team.

And I'm with you 100 percent. Sony needs a flagship multiplayer exclusive.

Naughty Dog is 100 percent working on an ambitious stand-alone multiplayer game. It'll probably be Factions Mode II but potentially not. I expect it to be third person.

Guerilla Games is also definitely working on something multiplayer. It might be Horizon II multiplayer. It might be something totally new. Not sure if that'll be third person or first person because they hired a couple of developers from the Rainbow Six Siege team.

And I'm with you 100 percent. Sony needs a flagship multiplayer exclusive.

Yes, I have heard rumblings of the Naughty Dog Multiplayer game, I'm actually expecting it to be some sort of Last of Us Factions Mode / Large Map / Open World Battle Royal / Base building, type of game to take advantage of the current trends in gaming. And I also heard about the Guerrilla Games rumor but didn't know that they hired Rainbow Six developers. That certainly makes me think that they could be secretly working on an insane Socom reboot.

Moogle11

Banned
Yes, I have heard rumblings of the Naughty Dog Multiplayer game, I'm actually expecting it to be some sort of Last of Us Factions Mode / Large Map / Open World Battle Royal / Base building, type of game to take advantage of the current trends in gaming. And I also heard about the Guerrilla Games rumor but didn't know that they hired Rainbow Six developers. That certainly makes me think that they could be secretly working on an insane Socom reboot.

I haven't heard about Guerilla's. Naughty Dogs is 100% TLOU related. It was supposed to be part of the base game like with the first game, but they announced a long while ago that it had gotten so big in scope they decided to separate it out. They probably also just needed the time to focus on the single player and avoid any more long delays.

Every company has debt.... that's why I mentioned that their debt / equity ratio was very healthy.
I would expect them to mostly use debt financing because it's so cheap at the moment and leave their cash mostly untouched.

I would never say to buy all three... simply pointing out that they could if the comanies were willing to sell.
Zenimax was worth about 2.5 to 3 billion last time I checked but can fluctuate.

Anyway, I think there were some talks because Ghostwire Tokyo and Deathloop are both 1 year exclusives with PS5 and that doesn't happen out of nowhere.

Well, who knows how much Zenimax is worth. It's a private company. The $2.5bn valuation is from a May 2016 article. Given valuations have risen sharply in the sector since then, I suspect the price tag isn't at that level anymore. WB Games is apparently worth $4bn. If that's the case, I could definitely a >$6bn price tag for something like Zenimax.

I get your point. Sony could definitely make an acquisition of that size. Danger is if it triggers an arms race with Microsoft racing to acquire smaller publishers/developers in the space.

Microsoft has the financial means to pretty much acquire everyone not named EA (>$30bn) and Activision (>$60bn); it actually could easily absorb these two names, but might face shareholder push back.

Last edited:

mkacc

Neo Member
I surely hope this is not the case. GT7 didn't look as good as it could look, I think everyone kind of agrees with this. Not to talk about the very obvious pop-in that should be a thing of the past. I hope they can improve it considerably before release, like they did with GTS.
I have a hard time believing GT7 is taking advantage of everything PS5 can offer.

ZywyPL

Banned
Out of all the announced games they highlight GT7, really?!? Sorry, but given the servers shut down for GT5 only to force people to finally jump onto GT6, then shutting down servers for GT6 just to force people to jump onto GTS/PS4, I have all the rights to believe they will perform that stunt once again, and people will be forced to buy PS5/GT7, rather wanting to do so by their own will... GT5/6 at least had a proper career mode, but if they'll shut down servers for basically online-only game that will be a really bold dick move from Sony/PD.

The DS features will most likely be fully utilized, I have no doubts about it, GT has a great track record when it comes to it, especially on PS2 with great rumble and those analog buttons support.

As for the sounds, I don't know, if the released footage showed some actual real car instead of fictional, non-existing one we could make a judgement, but as it is now PD has still yet to prove if they have stepped up sound aspect of their games.

But I'm surprised/sad no one is talking about the CPU, like, all the devs complained about Jaguar, all agreed that's the weakest point of current-gen consoles, the biggest bottleneck for their creativity, then all were equally hyped for the upcoming Zen2 CPU, how they will finally be able to do all those impossible, unimaginable things PS4/XB1 didn't allow them to do, and looks like all that hype has silently completely vanish, like the upcoming consoles will basically be PS4.5/XB1.5, with the exact same games, but prettier...

And what other game than GT could've show the next-gen capabilities thanks to a new CPU - physics, AI, collisions, damage, all the staff you would want from a driving simulator, and instead we got the same sterile, boring gameplay, which looks like everyone on the track is doing their own time attack rather than compete with each other in an actual race, like it's always the case with GT... So I fully understand the disappointment many people have with the reveal, take away the RT and you have more or less the same PS4 game.

I think Sony will have even harder time trying to sell the Dual Sense features and 3D audio than MS with high framerates, without actually experiencing the features by yourself it's all just a PR tall, nothing more, you can either fully trust it or have serious doubts.

So yeah, exclusives will have to do the talking, all the rumors suggest there won't be 100$ advantage this time around for either console, like it was with PS4/XB1 and X360/PS3, the only really appealing and differentiating factor will be the games themselves. Luckily there will be more shows coming, and we will get to see the actual gameplays of HFW, S-M, more R&C, more GT, and all the other games that were announced but didn't receive a proper showing.

Sitting in the cockpit, the 3D audio allows you to hear the thunderous roar of a Ferrari behind you or in front of you, and you can recognise the difference between that and the engine noise of a Maserati.

oh yeah.. i guess i will rather hear the fucking synthetic abomination of a raped Ferrari sound that actually sounds more like an tuned Hoover ,coming from behind me.

giphy.gif

Kazunori Yamauchi seems to think that those ugly bastard ass synthetic sounds are part of the Gran Turismo Identity and therefore must kept.
It it an fucking insult and a slap on the exposed Penishead of every Racing Fan out there that we still have to deal with those perversions of Engine Sounds.. And this from a First Party Studio wich should have all the Resources they need to go and record live engine sounds...
I have now zero tolerance for that bullshit. ZERO, אפס, cero, Null, nada, शून्य, 零 !!!

Not if ilife in a timeline where Sounds like that exist in Games produced and developed by far smaller Studios then Polyphony Digital

Out of all the announced games they highlight GT7, really?!? Sorry, but given the servers shut down for GT5 only to force people to finally jump onto GT6, then shutting down servers for GT6 just to force people to jump onto GTS/PS4, I have all the rights to believe they will perform that stunt once again, and people will be forced to buy PS5/GT7, rather wanting to do so by their own will... GT5/6 at least had a proper career mode, but if they'll shut down servers for basically online-only game that will be a really bold dick move from Sony/PD.

The DS features will most likely be fully utilized, I have no doubts about it, GT has a great track record when it comes to it, especially on PS2 with great rumble and those analog buttons support.

As for the sounds, I don't know, if the released footage showed some actual real car instead of fictional, non-existing one we could make a judgement, but as it is now PD has still yet to prove if they have stepped up sound aspect of their games.

But I'm surprised/sad no one is talking about the CPU, like, all the devs complained about Jaguar, all agreed that's the weakest point of current-gen consoles, the biggest bottleneck for their creativity, then all were equally hyped for the upcoming Zen2 CPU, how they will finally be able to do all those impossible, unimaginable things PS4/XB1 didn't allow them to do, and looks like all that hype has silently completely vanish, like the upcoming consoles will basically be PS4.5/XB1.5, with the exact same games, but prettier...

And what other game than GT could've show the next-gen capabilities thanks to a new CPU - physics, AI, collisions, damage, all the staff you would want from a driving simulator, and instead we got the same sterile, boring gameplay, which looks like everyone on the track is doing their own time attack rather than compete with each other in an actual race, like it's always the case with GT... So I fully understand the disappointment many people have with the reveal, take away the RT and you have more or less the same PS4 game.

I think Sony will have even harder time trying to sell the Dual Sense features and 3D audio than MS with high framerates, without actually experiencing the features by yourself it's all just a PR tall, nothing more, you can either fully trust it or have serious doubts.

So yeah, exclusives will have to do the talking, all the rumors suggest there won't be 100$ advantage this time around for either console, like it was with PS4/XB1 and X360/PS3, the only really appealing and differentiating factor will be the games themselves. Luckily there will be more shows coming, and we will get to see the actual gameplays of HFW, S-M, more R&C, more GT, and all the other games that were announced but didn't receive a proper showing.

I had kinda hoped a next-gen Wipeout was gonna get dropped on Thursday. Racing games are a fine way to show off a new system, imo, and the futuristic style would have been perfect.

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
They showed off a ridiculous amount of quality first party titles at the event and they had to. Game Pass isn’t a joke and neither are the studios Microsoft has amassed.

Woodchipper

Plus the unbeatable lighting...

anyway, hope this game won't take long to launch.
The first GT Sport trailer was shown during Paris Games Week in 2015, almost exactly 2 years before the game was released. Fingers crossed it will not be longer than that.
I’ve been feeling like the GT7 footage has been a little under appreciated since the event. Sure, it’s cross gen but still looked really good
Cross gen? What? How did I miss this?
oh yeah.. i guess i will rather hear the fucking synthetic abomination of a raped Ferrari sound that actually sounds more like an tuned Hoover ,coming from behind me.

giphy.gif

Kazunori Yamauchi seems to think that those ugly bastard ass synthetic sounds are part of the Gran Turismo Identity and therefore must kept.
It it an fucking insult and a slap on the exposed Penishead of every Racing Fan out there that we still have to deal with those perversions of Engine Sounds.. And this from a First Party Studio wich should have all the Resources they need to go and record live engine sounds...
I have now zero tolerance for that bullshit. ZERO, אפס, cero, Null, nada, शून्य, 零 !!!

Not if ilife in a timeline where Sounds like that exist in Games produced and developed by far smaller Studios then Polyphony Digital

I see this shit everywhere, it’s all over gtplanet too. But the fact is that GT Sport sounds fantastic for the most part. The car in the trailer is a Vision GT car, so it does not have a real life counterpart to record sounds from, hence it sounds like the older GT games, but again, for the most part GT Sport sounds really really good.

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
"The loading times will be next to nothing compared to what they have been in the past."
SSD

"Sitting in the cockpit, the 3D audio allows you to hear the thunderous roar of a Ferrari behind you or in front of you, and you can recognize the difference between that and the engine noise of a Maserati."
Tempest Engine

"Driving the car using the DualSense controller, you’ll have a different feeling in your hands from the smooth undulating tarmac of a racetrack, compared to the gritty sensation on a gravel track."
Haptic feedback

"Pressing a soft accelerator will feel very different than pressing on a stiff brake pedal or gear paddle."
Adaptive triggers
tamDtFz.gif

Last edited:
I wish they had more appealing first party characters. I just cant get into them. I buy playstations to get japanese games that I cant find on Xbox.

Reactions: Isa

sendit

GT7 is cross gen? Can someone provide a source?

Was this conclusion derived from:

Last edited:

dcx4610

Good. Exclusives are the only thing that keep me from being exclusively PC. Honestly though, I wish Sony would just release their games on PC alongside Microsoft. Considering how they don't make a ton of money off the sale of the console and it's a one time purchase on that of it, why limit yourself to one platform? Even if they are timed exclusives, just release them on PC and get a sale regardless of platform.

Type_Raver

EkCF9fFxDrTgFbVEXYV8Sk-650-80.jpg.webp

Full Quote about GT7:

I find it ironic that the features theyre touting are the weakest or less relevant to the franchise.

Sound, engine noise has been the weakest feature of the series, especially compared to its rivals with its synthetic sounds. Hope there is a substantial improvement, but the trailer doesn't demonstrate this.

Haptic feedback, that's cool for sure. But those planning to play this regularly, competitively use a wheel setup so they won't experience this.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Has this been confirmed? If so what was the Brazil leak about, then? I heard they wanted VR for GT7 and that would facilitate cross-gen since PSVR2 isn't releasing this year.

But hey if it's PS5 only, that is good as well.
Yeap in a interview from Sony they said it is PS5 only with features only possible on PS5.

tryDEATH

Spiderman mm is ps5 only no ps4.

Watch the other video on 4k . Raytracing makes a huge difference. The rest i dont know i hate racing games

Graphically both look much better on the PS5 hardware due to its power, but both seems to have been made on top of the foundation of their respective PS4 versions and don't seem to be completely new from the ground up. I am especially surprised for GT:7 to be using anything from the GT:S version.

BlackM1st

Banned
Woof, GT7 sounds rough. Definitely not an eyecandy game. Can't blame ppl for not being exited about next GT if the biggest advantage is the new type of vibration lol Eh, I will buy it for B spec...

Top Bottom