• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony’s Project Q Factory Leaked Images

GHG

Looks diabolical.

Who in their right mind would purchase this over one of those phone brackets for controllers?

Banjo64

cumsessed
While others dislike this device because of the way it works, I think this is a good idea.

Look at why at one of the reasons the Vita failed. Lack of big high quality games.

With how this device works, Sony doesn't have to face that issue. You can play all PS5 games on it.

The only disadvantage is the requirement of internet, but the fact you can play PS5 and even PS5 Pro level games on a handheld built with the Dual Sense features more that out weight that disadvantage.
Sex sells. And this thing is herpes.

If the Wii U didn’t work, bearing in mind at the time it had all those exclusive big Nintendo games for 3-4 years, why would this thing? Who is this for?

Last edited:

vivftp

Nice pics, excited to learn more. I have the feeling that this will be extremely comfortable to use as its design is very similar to the Nyko Power Grip I used to use on my Vita. That grip was the only way I could use my Vita for extended periods of time without hurting my hands:

71-Rv-qah7-DL-AC-UF1000-1000-QL80.jpg

spons

Looks janky as fuck, but why assume it's fake? It's just a screen lodged between joycons or whatever this is.
Left aside the obvious fact that you can do this already with an Android device and the PSPlay app.

Last edited:

spons

Why is it running android?
Being Sony isn't it most likely to run some proprietary BSD variant?
Android with an app means an even cheaper way to do this. They can just copy the device firmware/drivers from the chip manufacturer they're using without having to adjust anything.

Ar¢tos

Android with an app means an even cheaper way to do this. They can just copy the device firmware/drivers from the chip manufacturer they're using without having to adjust anything.
Sony doesn't usually go for the simple solution and they love proprietary shit.

spons

Sony doesn't usually go for the simple solution and they love proprietary shit.
Well yeah, they do love heavily customized FreeBSD. But the PS Classic device (lol) was just Linux with a stock emulator developed by someone else. Nothing except the user interface was done by Sony. So there is at least some precedent which could mean they go the cheapest route: some MediaTek SoC with stock drivers, stock Android but with a custom launcher and app to stream games.

Loxus

Still don't see fully see what sonys plan is with this, I personally don't see this going well
This is for those who have access to Wi-Fi at home, work or school, which allows them to play their PS5 games without being at a TV.

I expect Sony to launch a streaming only version of PS Plus along with this.

It's amazing how some fail to see the concept of this device.

Last edited:

Roxkis_ii

You know what, when I see this, if you really squint your eyes, you can see Playstation 5 Switch, but only for your house. It's probably going to be niche, but I've been wrong before.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
this is a useless accessory that could have its function easily replicated by a phone. For 200 dollars you could get an AYN Odin, Retroid pocket, Switch Lite etc which will be able to play games locally without the need for a stupid internet connection.
Look at why at one of the reasons the Vita failed. Lack of big high quality games.

With how this device works, Sony doesn't have to face that issue. You can play all PS5 games on it.
Wouldn't they be better off making a dedicated handheld that has the PS5 hardware inside it a la Sega Nomad?
package includes carpal tunnel syndrome and general wrist pain.
What are you talking about? It's literally just holding a controller but with your phone attached. that should not cause hand pain

ReBurn

Gold Member
It runs Android. If the SOC isn't crap it might make a decent handheld emulation device if someone cracks it. Might be worth buying one to keep in the box just in case.

Yeah I don't get the complaints about the looks either. More importantly it should be incredibly comfy to play. This would be a great thing to have if they price it low enough. They won't.

It's a shame this silly shit is the closest we'll ever get to another Sony handheld.

I would've loved this as a kid, can't play when parents are on the TV that's why i always bought portable consoles
For $200 or whatever it'll end up costing, your parents could have just bought another TV for you.

Imtjnotu

The back bone one with no screen or any dual sense features is $99 and yall think adding an 8 inch screen is going to be free.

None of yall understand how pricing actually works 😂

StueyDuck

This is for those who have access to Wi-Fi at home, work or school, which allows them to play their PS5 games without being at a TV.

I expect Sony to launch a streaming only version of PS Plus along with this.

It's amazing how some fail to see the concept of this device.
lol believe it or not, i was intelligent enough to know what it physically does.

you didn't educate me they way you think you did.

however, i don't see the point as in the target market for this, a purely streaming device that relies on a decent stable internet connection (both upload and download) especially in two distant locations with something you could just download onto your laptop anyway for free or your tablet/mobile device seems not very large, especially when the Switch will be cheaper and the kids love them some animal crossing and pokemans insteand.

But i guess we'll see, all these schoolkids must be rocking a nice $300 to drop on a streaming console for their already $500 console at home must be a massive huge install base (literally don't know anyone who does this)

Loxus

this is a useless accessory that could have its function easily replicated by a phone. For 200 dollars you could get an AYN Odin, Retroid pocket, Switch Lite etc which will be able to play games locally without the need for a stupid internet connection.

Wouldn't they be better off making a dedicated handheld that has the PS5 hardware inside it a la Sega Nomad?

What are you talking about? It's literally just holding a controller but with your phone attached. that should not cause hand pain
There is no way to put 40CUs running at 2.23GHz in a handheld at the moment.

The ASUS ROG Ally only has 12CUs and Steam Deck has 8CUs.

Gamerguy84

I agree with everyone here. Awesome idea and can't wait for it.

Seriously though. I've tried streaming around the house and my mobile is too small plus I have to reconnect the controller it to ps5.

This device looks great for me with 8 inch screen and controller in place

radewagon

I would've loved this as a kid, can't play when parents are on the TV that's why i always bought portable consoles
I would love this as an adult. Can't play when kids are on the TV. That's why I buy portable consoles.

So the moral of the story is that.... I'm more considerate about who gets to use the TV than my parents were? Well, that's a bummer.

Loxus

lol believe it or not, i was intelligent enough to know what it physically does.

you didn't educate me they way you think you did.

however, i don't see the point as in the target market for this, a purely streaming device that relies on a decent stable internet connection (both upload and download) especially in two distant locations with something you could just download onto your laptop anyway for free or your tablet/mobile device seems not very large, especially when the Switch will be cheaper and the kids love them some animal crossing and pokemans insteand.

But i guess we'll see, all these schoolkids must be rocking a nice $300 to drop on a streaming console for their already $500 console at home must be a massive huge install base (literally don't know anyone who does this)
This is no different than a digital only console.

As for Remote play, it's being slept on.

StueyDuck

This is no different than a digital only console.

As for Remote play, it's being slept on.

it's a remote play console, not a digital only console. one that requires a PS5 already.

acting like kids are all going to be running around their schools after their parents dropped $700 or more in total seems a bit over ambitious an idea but we'll see

thank you for proving my point that remote play on a laptop already exists and is free compared to dropping money on a device that does the same thing. It was kind of the point i was making all along

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member

I know that companies have ever made a mistake, but this seems to me the biggest crap ever built... What would I care about playing in a "Portable" way if I have a 65-inch screen at home with the PS5 connected..(And to top it off, this piece of garbage needs internet.). It's stupid... They should have done like Nintendo Switch or Take out the PSP 3.

Last edited:
Top Bottom