• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony’s Project Q Factory Leaked Images

Bernoulli

M2 slut
Seems to be an android device with remote play app, if they price this at 99 i see selling alot

Video in use, it looks so thin :messenger_tears_of_joy:

vCM1Dmr.jpg
Q4w4Mk6.jpg
UQdAoGP.jpg

Source https://icon-era.com/threads/project-q-leaks.4862/

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I don't care about in-home streaming but I dno't udnerstand anyones complaints about it's form factor
Nice, big screen (no oled tho) and real controllers! Finally not the small crappy thumbstcks and uncomfortable grips. Why the hell would that be a bad think

acm2000

My guess is $200, way too much if it really is local remote only, but reasonable if it can do cloud from anywhere like xcloud.

$300 if it's a full on android style gaming device.

acm2000

My guess is $200, way too much if it really is local remote only, but reasonable if it can do cloud from anywhere like xcloud.

Let's hope that Sony has read all of the criticisms (and rightly so) about the device, and add some tech that we haven't been privy to when the Project Q is released. But it's Sony, who has a long history of releasing hardwares that are poorly thought of, and abandoning them soon after. I don't see the PQ being a success at all, but we'll see.

Bernoulli

M2 slut

If it's like remote play you can stream from anywhere but your ps5 has to be on at home, basically your ps5 becomes your cloud and works well but there is delay

ToTTenTranz

Banned
I think i's interesting that it's running android, as it means there's a full fledged ARM or RISC-V SoC in it. Though considering we can find full fledged ARM SoCs for as low as $7 (probably less if you're Sony doing a 100k order) this isn't out of the ordinary, as it becomes much easier to do software updates.
It might also leave some leeway for enhanced gameplay functionality down the road (like the Wii U pad), even if they don't implement it from the start.

The one thing I don't get is all the hate this accessory is getting. Don't like it, don't buy it. Sony isn't wasting any game development resources in this.
Assuming there's no Vita 2 because of Q is nonsense. A full videogame handheld would cost 100x more to develop than this, and would also require Sony to put their 1st party game developers dedicated to it.
In its current form, Q can be completely transparent and effortless to game devs.

Skyfox

Reminds me of the early switch prototype patents which were quite ugly and then someone doctored it into a fake photo lol.

What I mean is, this is awful and I wish it was a deliberate fake by Sony to cover for something actually cool.

Pejo

Shame it's not just a device to hold my phone and make it more of a handheld console. I wouldn't buy this just for remote play (according to the old rumors at least), but I'd love it for when I'm just sitting around at home playing phone games.

It's kinda ugly but I kinda like it.

X-Wing

Didn't they sell the controller for the the iPhone for 100$ ? This is not going to be below that with screen in it .

That's only licensed, not made by Sony.
And indeed this most likely won't be under 100USD but it doesn't matter.
It's just an accessory to give more options to players.

TrebleShot

HELL YES
LETS GO
DAY ONE

Haters and idiots don’t see the appeal but remote play device that has all haptics of PS5 controllers and reliable connection based on Android so you’ll probs be able to hack it and put things like moonlight on it.

Boom amazing device.

Piss off nerds who don’t understand but will happily pay for an OLED switch when they have the base one.

Rise up PLAYSTATION KINGS.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Still don't see fully see what sonys plan is with this, I personally don't see this going well
Same. I don't know how practical or helpful a device like this is going to be.

I'd have completely supported the idea had it seamlessly integrated with PS Plus and allowed people to stream games via Cloud. But if it is just a Remote Play device, then I don't see the point.

Roufianos

Considering how big the screen is, I’d buy it. Play PS5 from my bed or when tv is in use. Don’t see why so many people are negative about it.

SteamDeck streams great already but a bigger screen and dualsense controller would be nice.
I think people are just expecting it to be way overpriced. Pretty sure all the negativity will disappear if it comes in at $120 or so.

Portugeezer

Looks like it shouldn't cost more than $120, will probably be a decent way of getting an extra controller with an added feature.

Any higher price and it will suck balls.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
The backbone controller exists already and is cheaper. Screen needs to be way bigger here. This is dead on arrival.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

I can understand the scepticism, but I think it's an ideal product for those who don't always have the tv screen available (family lives) and/or don't want to buy a second PS5 for in the bedroom, for example.

Right now, if my gf wants to watch tv, I can use my PSVR2 in cinema-mode, which is pretty neat.
But I don't always feel like being entirely cut-off from the real world.
So something like Project Q would be ideal, imo.

Or it would be convenient if me and my gf have one of those lazy days in bed. She can watch tv and I can use Project Q.

Last edited:

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
100 for a cheap phone
70 dualsense
10 joystick phone holder
package includes carpal tunnel syndrome and general wrist pain.

Also :
- button configuration is all messed up even on Android 13 on 80-90% of Android devices - ask Google on why it is so.

- Good luck having a good connection on cheap phones that have both the Bluetooth chip and wi-fi antenna on their SOC.

People that keep mentioning the same thing over and over haven't really tried remote play or cloud gaming in general, if they did, they wouldn't keep spouting the same nonsense.

PS : the most viable solutions to this day are the various gadgets like the razer Kishi and Backbone - gadgets which are...a couple of plastics put together that go up to 110 Eurodollars, and people expect a device that has -literally- a joystick cut in half with vibration motors AND haptics, an 8inch screen AND a SOC for 100 Eurodollars ? Right...

ergem

Such negativity towards a new piece of hardware from Sony.

And I agree with all of it.

£100 - £129 or go home.
I have a feeling that it will be very cheap. They might be contracting some Chinese tablet maker for this.

There are $50 cheap tablets from China in the market right now. .

X-Wing

I can understand the scepticism, but I think it's an ideal product for those who don't always have the tv screen available (family lives) and/or don't want to buy a second PS5 for in the bedroom, for example.

Right now, if my gf wants to watch tv, I can use my PSVR2 in cinema-mode, which is pretty neat.
But I don't always feel like being entirely cut-off from the real world.
So something like Project Q would be ideal, imo.

Or it would be convenient if me and my gf have one of those lazy days in bed. She can watch tv and I can use Project Q.

And gaming is the one thing you want to do on those days?

RCU005

The biggest "Why the fuck would you bother" in the gaming industry since the Sega 32X.
100%

I love using Remote Play but this is absurd. It just doesn’t fit anywhere and its purpose it’s already done by smartphones, tablets and PCs.

The price is also going to be ridiculous. Even if it’s $149 just get a Switch Lite! You can play games and don’t need another $400 console to use it!

100%

I love using Remote Play but this is absurd. It just doesn’t fit anywhere and its purpose it’s already done by smartphones, tablets and PCs.

The price is also going to be ridiculous. Even if it’s $149 just get a Switch Lite! You can play games and don’t need another $400 console to use it!

This is for people that ALREADY have a PS5.... Nobody is paying 700 dollars just to play on this thing

It's just a damn ACCESSORY. You don't want it? Don't buy it

Neofire

Definitely looks fake and considering it looks like it leaked in China.......even more doubt that it's legit.

Loxus

While others dislike this device because of the way it works, I think this is a good idea.

Look at one of the reasons the Vita failed. Lack of big high quality games.

With how this device works, Sony doesn't have to face that issue. You can play all PS5 games on it.

The only disadvantage is the requirement of internet, but the fact you can play PS5 and even PS5 Pro level games on a handheld built with the Dual Sense features more that out weight that disadvantage.

Last edited:
Top Bottom