• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania |OT| Dreams Come True

So, if I want to get all chaos emeralds I'm supposed to play through all the stages without missing any? Or can I revisit specific stages to get the emerald? What's the easiest way?

You can miss or fail at the stages sometimes. There are significantly more special stage rings than there are chaos emeralds. However, you probably won't find them on your first playthrough. Once you've finished the game, you can replay any stage of your choice and earn them that way instead.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Saying this game isn't hard and then casually dropping that you still play the Mega Drive/Genesis games once a week is hilarious. I've played a lot of Mario, DKC, Rayman, Super Meat Boy etc. and I saw a bunch of Game Over screens on my first playthrough.

Second one though, got to act 10 before seeing one. So it's mostly a matter of getting comfortable with the game, which takes some time if you aren't already familiar with the old ones. First couple of zones, probably even the first half of the game isn't very challenging. But after that, the difficulty quickly ramps up.
I've never seen the game over screen. But then I cant remember the last time I did in a modern platformer. The difficulty is about the same level as the originals, though definitely easier than 1 and 2 because of the save system. Maybe slightly harder than 3K since it doesn't vomit lives at you quite as much as that did.

Big One

Banned
You know playing some of the Knuckles levels made me realize how much it was a missed opportunity for Genesis era Sega to design an entire game around Knuckles' climbing ability. Knuckles Chaotix could've been that...but nope. They could do some dope Metroidvania-esque stuff with Knuckles if they really wanted to since he's more about exploring than Sonic is.

celebi23

Whenever I try opening Sonic Mania a window pops up saying "Sorry, something went wrong, for solutions please visit: https://support.codefusion.technology/SonicMania_8ahn2e/?e=88500006&l=english"

And when I go to that page, there's this message:
"Currently your game purchase cannot be re-validated successfully, please wait 24 hours and try again."

Had the first instance of the error message on this past Tuesday, the game then worked for me on Wednesday and yesterday and now, I'm getting the same exact error message again. It's bullshit that as a paying customer, I'm being penalized because Sega's shitty idea to implement Denuvo in Sonic Mania.

I've tried Sega UK support and the just send me an automated response:

Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting SEGA Customer Support.

We are sorry to read that you are encountering an issue with Sonic Mania.

Firstly please reverify the game cache of Sonic Mania in Steam:
1. Load Steam
2. From the Library section, right-click on the game and select Properties from the menu.
3. Select the Local files tab and click the ‘VERIFY INTEGRITY OF GAMECACHE...' button.
4. Steam will verify the game's files - this process may take several minutes.
5. Once the process is completed, the Check Window will automatically exit.
6. We recommend verifying your cache twice to make sure all files are fully downloaded

Also please make sure that you are having the latest drivers installed for your graphics and sound chipset/ cards.

For Nvidia cards please see here:
http://www.geforce.co.uk/drivers

For AMD Radeon/ ATi cards:
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

For integrated Intel chipsets:
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/default.aspx?lang=eng

Important: Please double check that all your Windows Updates are fully installed and completely up to date.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12373/windows-update-faq

Please let us know how you get on.

Best Regards,

Vincent
SEGA Customer Support

I tried all of that already. I changed no system settings at all in the day and a half the game worked perfectly for me. It's not about verifying files, it's about not being able to have my game purchase verified thanks to Denuvo.

Ejeom.gif

I hate how the pc version has denuvo or whatever, I was going to double dip to support the game more but at this point I'm just sticking to the switch version.

Guess Who

Banned
Whenever I try opening Sonic Mania a window pops up saying "Sorry, something went wrong, for solutions please visit: https://support.codefusion.technology/SonicMania_8ahn2e/?e=88500006&l=english"

And when I go to that page, there's this message:
"Currently your game purchase cannot be re-validated successfully, please wait 24 hours and try again."

Had the first instance of the error message on this past Tuesday, the game then worked for me on Wednesday and yesterday and now, I'm getting the same exact error message again. It's bullshit that as a paying customer, I'm being penalized because Sega's shitty idea to implement Denuvo in Sonic Mania.

I've tried Sega UK support and the just send me an automated response:

I tried all of that already. I changed no system settings at all in the day and a half the game worked perfectly for me. It's not about verifying files, it's about not being able to have my game purchase verified thanks to Denuvo.

Ejeom.gif

You know, I started getting this error after dicking around with the game in Wineskin a bit. Since I know you've done the same, I wonder if that's tripping Denuvo's bullshit somehow.

IrishNinja

bout to bail on this game cause of oil ocean zone, holy crap is this not fun

beat the boss & died right after 2x, just kinda done with this

celebi23

You know, I started getting this error after dicking around with the game in Wineskin a bit. Since I know you've done the same, I wonder if that's tripping Denuvo's bullshit somehow.

I thought of that but why would the game work perfectly for a day and a half then? It seems like it's trying to activate every 2 days. I'll see if it happens again in 3 days.

Yukinari

bout to bail on this game cause of oil ocean zone, holy crap is this not fun

beat the boss & died right after 2x, just kinda done with this

Oil Ocean Act 2 and Titanic Monarch Act 2 are totally the "this needs to end" parts of the game. They just overstay their welcome.

Shadio

Oil Ocean Act 2 and Titanic Monarch Act 2 are totally the "this needs to end" parts of the game. They just overstay their welcome.

I don't think Oil Ocean was a particularly long or annoying zone. Especially compared to the length of some other zones in the game.

Even if you play the act 2 boss carefully instead of trying to rush it as fast as possible, it still probably takes less time than Flying Battery's or Hydro City's.

IrishNinja

Did you drown in the oil or get hit by one of the projectiles? Thats strange af

both, shit feels glitchy

absolutely

I stand by my claims that OOZ2 is easy and all y’all are scrubs that need to git gud

OOZ2 is sandopolis 2 easy mode.

nah, went super sonic in all of them, zone is just boring & poorly designed. I can get to the boss no problem, but if a platform I'm on drops, no chance to get back up, just dead. classic sonic didn't have nonsense like that
granted switch on the go doesn't feel ideal here

noquarter

Just started playing on Switch and really digging this game. Green Hill zone is pretty great and enjoyed Chemical Plant even more, especially the act 2 boss.

Hope the game has more surprises, but as long as it maintains the quality set already I'll be happy.

Yukinari

I don't think Oil Ocean was a particularly long or annoying zone. Especially compared to the length of some other zones in the game.

Even if you play the act 2 boss carefully instead of trying to rush it as fast as possible, it still probably takes less time than Flying Battery's or Hydro City's.

You can get a few cheap hits in the moment the octopus boss spawns but i absolutely hate any gimmick associated with sandopolis and its just one of the weaker returning zones.

Lava Reef and Oil Ocean are both oddball picks but Lava Reef fucking crushes it.

Vidiot

both, shit feels glitchy

absolutely

nah, went super sonic in all of them, zone is just boring & poorly designed. I can get to the boss no problem, but if a platform I'm on drops, no chance to get back up, just dead. classic sonic didn't have nonsense like that

Are you playing as Knuckles? Sonic and Tails can make it back on the platform easy. Hold the jump button. It's a bit harder for Knuckles because his lower jump but still doable. Keep an eye on the tentacles. They creep up on the platform before pulling it down. You have three to choose from so there's always a safe zone. Also take the boss slow if its giving you trouble. Take out one ball thing at a time then Robotnik is a sitting duck. You can get a free shot on him by revving your spindash on the edge of the first platform right at the start of the fight too.

Titanic Monarch 2 is a lot nicer when you replay it because you have an idea of where to go for each segment, my first time there was several minutes but now I do it in about 3.

If you want an eazy final boss:
take the bottom left route last and at the end of this area on the purple gravity orbs go right instead of left, inside the wall is another exit with a lightning shield which will make you immune to the final bosses power lines when he is charging up.

Gartooth

Just finished my first solo Sonic run with all chaos emeralds on the first try and no game overs. Feels so good, especially when I keep finding new special stage rings!

both, shit feels glitchy

absolutely

Oh, the boss?

Yeah, the boss has some weird smashy hitbox nonsense going on under that oil. It's dangerous down there.

(hope they patch it, or at least add some better art hints to suggest when you might be about to insta-die)

cyborg009

Banned
Does anyone else feel like the game is a bit off? I think I'm getting some input lag. Maybe it's my 144 hz monitor. I also have vsync off.

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
Holy @%# guys! When you hit a star ball in the special stage, you can go forward again by pressing up!

jholmes

I'm really having trouble getting the fifth emerald. Is there anything I'm missing here or is this just where the game separates the men from the boys?

I'm stuck in Chemical Plant Act 1, so basically the third level. Don't know where to go, dying over and over, drowning, getting squished by moving blocks, jumping is not precise.

I want to love this, but this isn't fun.

I'm good at games :(

I like Chemical Plant, it's a nostalgia trip and it's fun to blast through, but I was surprised they didn't do anything to change that part on the main path where the liquid comes up, you have to jump the blocks quickly to not drown (but not get crushed by them either), then jump two moving platforms AND navigate a new on-off platform or you get dropped back to the part before the blocks again. It's Sonic 4-esque level design and it screws with Sonic 2's difficulty curve (and now Sonic Mania's as well).

IrishNinja

Oh, the boss?

Yeah, the boss has some weird smashy hitbox nonsense going on under that oil. It's dangerous down there.

(hope they patch it, or at least add some better art hints to suggest when you might be about to insta-die)

agreed, that's where i tend to die - gonna try again later but man, im staying the fuck away from dude where possible

Pffft
That ish is easy man, step up your game kyodai.

bruh i got platinums in most of the souls game, it ain't that

I'm really having trouble getting the fifth emerald. Is there anything I'm missing here or is this just where the game separates the men from the boys?

Not at all. With a little practice, you'll find that these special stages are the easiest in the entire series.

As for the fifth emerald, I recommend avoiding going mach 3 and just concentrate on grabbing rings while keeping pace with the UFO. There's a shortcut where you can find two 10 ring capsules and a mach-up capsule suspended in mid air. Try to master grabbing those.

sonto340

both, shit feels glitchy

absolutely

Why are you standing on a platform that’s clearly telegraphed it’s about to fall. Move to the other 50% of the boss encounter room?????

JackelZXA

I really like the Sonic & Knuckles mode. It's more interesting than Sonic & Tails for being fresh. Combined with the Drop Dash it really differentiates the way the game feels from Sonic 3.

I think their colors compliment eachother really well and their poses kind of matching makes it look really cool to have them both running alongside eachother. I really like doing a drop dash AND making knuckles glide at the same time to cover high and low attacks on a boss.

It feels like knuckles' command glide is more fun in bosses than using tails' flying to cheese the boss. It's interesting to have the limitation of not being able to fly but still have the second character. I

like how it makes MSZ act 1 feel too, because knuckles would have a reason to be there but then you get a zone where you're teamed up with tails instead of knuckles. Combined with tails in the intro and the final cutscene it kind of gives a better feeling of all 3 characters "teamed up" than just having knuckles show up briefly twice.

(Unfortunately you still get 2 knuckles at the ending even though it's not the meme playthrough, so getting super sonic is how you avoid that, what's wierd is that Tails & Knuckles has all 3 of them on the jetski)

Sent a tweet to Taxman and Stealth about it because it might be a bug since it happens in S&K mode but NOT T&K mode:
https://twitter.com/jackelzxa/status/903880849854144512
https://twitter.com/jackelzxa/status/903880954783047681

Again the glitch is in the 'don't have all emeralds' ending:
When Sonic gets on the Jetski at the end of S&K mode two knuckles are on it, but in T&K mode the full team of STK are on the Jetski.

It feels like a bug to have two knuckles show up outside of K&K mode and the fact that it's fine in T&K mode makes me think that it's a bug or a missing Tails waving on the Jetski animation. Hopefully it gets fixed because S&K is my favorite way to play the game now.

Maybe swapping &knuckles back into &tails for that one animation would do it since Tails wouldn't wave you onto the jetski in anything but S&K mode so maybe they didnt make that animation in the first place?

Or maybe just removing the second knuckles entirely if that wouldn't work, though having all 3 together at the end is a cool-factor thing.

FINALLY played this, was waiting for my birthday to do so as I was always getting Sonic stuff for birthdays as a kid.
Played with split joycons, me as Sonic my (now not so) little brother as Tails just as we used to.
After not playing a Sonic game for years I was a little hesitant after constantly hearing this game was difficult. We beat it losing only 3 lifes and 2 were due to getting crushed by something initially off-screen, so... not sure what's going on there.
Still got it I guess!
Got the bad ending, special stages grew a little tedious so began skipping them and the bonus stages for this first play through.
The game is pretty great overall but lacks a lot of finesse and it's handling of story was poor. What was with the stage transitions and song remixes not being consistent? Seemed half-assed honestly.
Looking forward to diving back in. Zone 2 boss was kinda mind blowing. How do you activate
peel out
, I can't see an option for it...?

I'm gonna be spending a lot of time with this game!
When I first got a Game Gear I was instantly disappointed I couldn't put a Mega Drive cartridge into it and play 'real' Sonic on a handheld. Playing this on Switch finally gave me me what I wanted :)

^ peel out and the other options like it can be turned on only in the "no save" mode. If you place your cursor on it, there should be a button prompt for options.

Falk

that puzzling face
but I was surprised they didn't do anything to change that part on the main path where the liquid comes up, you have to jump the blocks quickly to not drown (but not get crushed by them either), then jump two moving platforms AND navigate a new on-off platform or you get dropped back to the part before the blocks again.

The rotating blocks are retimed and easier to navigate.

gelf

Beaten the game with both Sonic and Knuckles now. Not got the emeralds yet as I find the special stages very tough. Greatly enjoyed it in the most part though right now I feel it falls short of S3&K.

Agree with those citing the Oil Ocean boss as the biggest downside to the game, especially with Knuckles and his low jump leaving him stuck in the oil. I lost 9 lives on that thing. I remember having hitbox issues on the original Sonic 2 boss as well but that didn't matter so much as it was easy to cheese through.

At the very beginning, ignore rings that aren't already in your path and grab every single blue orb. You should get a Mach level up right before the split path with the free Mach Up power up. If you get that one immediately then you have a sudden major speed boost before the ufo has had a chance to gain much ground on you. If you play it smart with your corners and jumps, you can catch him before the first lap is done.

Brb, gotta go back to working on the 6th emerald :/

Top Bottom