• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So the Samsung S24 just revealed itself

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
They saw the videogame model and wanted a piece of the pie. Subscribtions anyone? Selling phones isn't the goal anymore. Thanks Samsung!
I love these phones but I was wathing the new Flossy video about an OPO phone which comes with the 100w charger brick and case. Made me jealous and have to be critical on any company which doesn't inclue one or the other. Hell, some phones come with a screen protector on the damn phone.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
I love these phones but I was wathing the new Flossy video about an OPO phone which comes with the 100w charger brick and case. Made me jealous and have to be critical on any company which doesn't inclue one or the other. Hell, some phones come with a screen protector on the damn phone.
I can't take that guy seriously he needs to get Samsung's nuts off his chin and shut up about the S pen no one gives shit about the S pen but he is pretty entertaining. That's a nice introductory video of the Oppo. he made. I'll give him props for that. Most Chinese phones come with a fast charging brick, cable and case and you get a premium phone for $800. I was interested in importing that new Oppo find X7 but I've seen a lot of comparison videos between it and the Vivo v100 pro and the video comes out on top every time so I'll probably import that. I have the v80 pro right now

Last edited:

LiquidMetal14

I can't take that guy seriously he needs to get Samsung's nuts off his chin and shut up about the S pen no one gives shit about the S pen but he is pretty entertaining. That's a nice introductory video of the Oppo. he made. I'll give him props for that. Most Chinese phones come with a fast charging brick, cable and case and you get a premium phone for $800. I was interested in importing that new Oppo find X7 but I've seen a lot of comparison videos between it and the Vivo v100 pro and the video comes out on top every time so I'll probably import that. I have the v80 pro right now
One of these years I'll consider the those. I keep up with all the tech stuff regarding the phones and like seeing the new stuff to see how things are advanding.

I really like the 7 years of OS updates. That's a great standard to have to ensure you get some reasonbale support. Not we just need replaceable batts again.

Tams

What you saying about the S Pen?!

I LIVE AND BREATHE THE SPEN. HOW DARE YOU! I'M COMING FOR YOU.

mr t dancing GIF

angry liam neeson GIF

But seriously, I find it indispensable. I even changed from the Fold to get one back until they sort of fixed that

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
One of these years I'll consider the those. I keep up with all the tech stuff regarding the phones and like seeing the new stuff to see how things are advanding.

I really like the 7 years of OS updates. That's a great standard to have to ensure you get some reasonbale support. Not we just need replaceable batts again.
That's cool. I started importing phones about 4 years ago when Huawei introduced the first night mode on any phone with their P30 pro and I haven't looked back. Not too worried about support I upgrade every 12-18 months.

Last edited:

LiquidMetal14

That's cool. I started importing phones about 4 years ago when Huawei introduced the first night mode on any phone with their P30 pro and I haven't looked back. Not too worried about support I switch phones every 18 months
I've been on the yearly carousel since I left the Note 10+. I already tried the Pixel 8 Pro which I'm daily driving due to being dumb and cracking my non insured S23U (only the 2nd phone ever I've cracked). Like it but batt issues and inconsistent OS kill it for me. Samsung is giving me 750 off for trade in and I'm going to the S24U. I got the monthly insurance for 10USD this time around. Barring some massive game changing update in 2-3 years, the S24U will be a long term phone until I notice battery life being an issue.

One thing that I don't read people discussing is that Samsung also delivers their phones earlier than street date if you order through them. I speak from experience here in the US since I've every Galaxy day 1 since the S21U. I got my S23U 4 days early last year. Another thing people sleep on is the trade in credit you get. Over the years, I've got 10000mAh Dual charging battery banks, wireless chargers, Galaxy Bud Pro's (twice), fancy infrared clamshell wireless chargers, and even this year I got a free screen protector with the clear gadget case and a pair of Galaxy Buds 2 Pro.

Last edited:

Musashipan

Any recommendations on cases and screen protector? Been using spigen for the last 3 phones, nothing against it, just checking!

LiquidMetal14

Any recommendations on cases and screen protector? Been using spigen for the last 3 phones, nothing against it, just checking!
Samsung cases are really nice. I've had the folding one with the nft thing on the flap that tells you the time and notifications, the standard silicone case (really smooth and quality feeling), and am getting the clear gadget case which looks awesome.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I've been on the yearly carousel since I left the Note 10+. I already tried the Pixel 8 Pro which I'm daily driving due to being dumb and cracking my non insured S23U (only the 2nd phone ever I've cracked). Like it but batt issues and inconsistent OS kill it for me. Samsung is giving me 750 off for trade in and I'm going to the S24U. I got the monthly insurance for 10USD this time around. Barring some massive game changing update in 2-3 years, the S24U will be a long term phone until I notice battery life being an issue.

One thing that I don't read people discussing is that Samsung also delivers their phones earlier than street date if you order through them. I speak from experience here in the US since I've every Galaxy day 1 since the S21U. I got my S23U 4 days early last year. Another thing people sleep on is the trade in credit you get. Over the years, I've got 10000mAh Dual charging battery banks, wireless chargers, Galaxy Bud Pro's (twice), fancy infrared clamshell wireless chargers, and even this year I got a free screen protector with the clear gadget case and a pair of Galaxy Buds 2 Pro.
I wanna upgrade my (screen cracked) s23u to the s24u as well. I tried in my s21 for the s23 through att last year so I still have 25 "payments". Att wants to charge me for all of that (800ish) in exchange for $1000 'credit' towards the s24. Samsung direct will take my s23 for a s24u for $400. Curious if att would know or care. Replacing my cracked screen is like $300 so the Sammy upgrade seems pretty reasonable if att will just keep paying the fee for my old phone.

LiquidMetal14

I wanna upgrade my (screen cracked) s23u to the s24u as well. I tried in my s21 for the s23 through att last year so I still have 25 "payments". Att wants to charge me for all of that (800ish) in exchange for $1000 'credit' towards the s24. Samsung direct will take my s23 for a s24u for $400. Curious if att would know or care. Replacing my cracked screen is like $300 so the Sammy upgrade seems pretty reasonable if att will just keep paying the fee for my old phone.
If you get it unlocked, it shouldn't make an difference. Swapping the SIM should be plag and play.

I'll avoid the issues with cracked screens this time as I opted for the Samsung Care+ coverage.

I never drop my phone and had a freak accident and my s23u also cracked but still works fine. Samsung is pretty generous for the trade ins so going back was a no brainer.

Reallink

Samsung cases are really nice. I've had the folding one with the nft thing on the flap that tells you the time and notifications, the standard silicone case (really smooth and quality feeling), and am getting the clear gadget case which looks awesome.
They stopped making that LED folio case with the S22's. They only offer that shitty "S-view" cutout window folio now that's flimsy as fuck and doesn't do anything.

Last edited:

LiquidMetal14

They stopped making that LED folio case with the S22's. They only offer that shitty "S-view" cutout window folio now that's flimsy as fuck and doesn't do anything.
That's the case, the folio. If I recall it magnetized too. Some of the newer ones don't even do that.

The new cases are nice and I wanted clear to show the orange one I got from Samsung. I did the same with that multi color one they did with the Note 10+. That was a nice reflective coating.

This one looks awesome though and I'm happy they went back to the flat acreen.

there's suppose to be an update tomorrow as the current S24s are using pre-retail software.

where's that auto zoom/follow feature?

LiquidMetal14

I got my phone yesterday and what can I say, it is pretty amazing. I knew it would be good and the reviews have been really shining on it but it definitely cheated my expectations and that's coming from the same Old triangle and I understand the way some feel, but this is probably the most significant change since they probably done the s21 to the 22 we basically going the note style screen size. I will say that if you were wanting to get back to the flat screen you will be extremely pleased and the AI stuff is incredibly cool. I find myself using the live transcription during calls and the photo editing stuff more on this phone than I did with the pixel 8.

The phone feels fast, feels very intuitive and the bottom line is it feels like a truly flagship high-end phone. And that's not just in the performance but just the feel and look in the way the phone is featured in the software. Going to the stock Android in the pixel 8 pro and this, the one UI is the best Android OS I've used.

Musashipan

I got my phone yesterday and what can I say, it is pretty amazing. I knew it would be good and the reviews have been really shining on it but it definitely cheated my expectations and that's coming from the same Old triangle and I understand the way some feel, but this is probably the most significant change since they probably done the s21 to the 22 we basically going the note style screen size. I will say that if you were wanting to get back to the flat screen you will be extremely pleased and the AI stuff is incredibly cool. I find myself using the live transcription during calls and the photo editing stuff more on this phone than I did with the pixel 8.

The phone feels fast, feels very intuitive and the bottom line is it feels like a truly flagship high-end phone. And that's not just in the performance but just the feel and look in the way the phone is featured in the software. Going to the stock Android in the pixel 8 pro and this, the one UI is the best Android OS I've used.
Sounds amazing
Did you get case and screen protector?
Does it feel big in your hand?
I'm going from s10+ which is 6.4" to a 6.8"
Can't wait for mine to arrive in the 5th

Thanks

LiquidMetal14

Sounds amazing
Did you get case and screen protector?
Does it feel big in your hand?
I'm going from s10+ which is 6.4" to a 6.8"
Can't wait for mine to arrive in the 5th

Thanks
I got the clear gadget case. I like it but it feels a little slippery in the hands meaning like the phone does. Awesome gadget that doubles as a stand and a holder for your finger. I like the clear since I got the titanium orange so I wanted to see the unique color.

Feels good and keep in mind I've come from flagships since the Note 9 all the way to this Galaxy. It's bigger compared to a 6 inch phone but not so big thanks to the smaller footprint due to the little bezel it has.

The AI stuff isn't all gimmicks either. I used the circle to search feature today and it's as amazing as the reviews say. Super useful stuff.
jEFWZcX.jpg

That is what it looks like when you activate it in the pic above.

uqfUlLM.jpg

That is a search I did with the camera active and used the red series pad as an example of what it looks like.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day

How is the anti glare coating?

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Only the zoom camera is downgraded the others are the same cameras but with some software tweaking for better photos
Tbf my S22 Ultra takes amazing photos the only upgrade I'd be looking camera wise is the ability to take shots of fast moving objects and not have them blurred but I don't know if that's currently possible with the tech nowadays

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Tbf my S22 Ultra takes amazing photos the only upgrade I'd be looking camera wise is the ability to take shots of fast moving objects and not have them blurred but I don't know if that's currently possible with the tech nowadays
As nice as S22 shots are quality has gotten much better at least on the phones with newer bigger sensors. To take shots of fast moving items go into pro/manual mode on your camera app and set the exposure to at least 1/2000

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Looks nice, but I gotta go OnePlus 12 for the fast charging and the promise of battery longevity.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
You can't get fast charging and battery longevity. Fast charging degrades the battery faster.
So they say, but OnePlus claims they have a new power management system that motivates that, and that the battery will last 5 years with only around 20% degradation.

We'll see if it works out but man I love that 50W wireless charging, nevermind the 100W wired.

AndrewRyan

Waited five years to upgrade so pretty much everything feels improved. Impressions so far:

Anti-reflective screen is incredible outdoors. Looks sharp, steady
Screen responds quickly with a light touch, feels premium
HDR looks amazing. Can watch it fade-in after taking photos
Cameras
- Low light shots are stunning, like they're shot in daylight
- Lens options are impressive, 200mp ftw
- AI editing is easy and fun. Actually works
AI
- Dictation, outline, summarization works perfectly, very useful
- Live translations work great. Useful while traveling
- Live voice call translations are confusing. Voices overlap, need to play with options
Battery life is terrific. Over 2 days between charges
Circle to search works but suggestions tend towards monetization
Gorgeous titanium frame. Shame it's hidden under a case
Flat screen is everything it used to be and more with the tiny bezels. SPen bliss
Fingerprint scanner is super fast, works perfectly (without screen protector)
Wifi and networking are faster
UI feels snappy with pleasant animations

Haven't gamed on android in years and my small handful of games were mostly incompatible with this phone. Played Horizon Chase which I also have on Switch and Steamdeck. Looks much better on the oled screen and played well with an 8bitdo pro2 controller. Will mess with emulation next.

Top Bottom