• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So the Samsung S24 just revealed itself

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth

Any fans? I have an S22 Ultra, so it's two years old and pretty much does everything I could possibly want but I'm getting that niggling in the back of my head that us western consumerism robots get when something new and shiny releases but I'm just not seeing that big a leap to justify a purchase considering all I pay for my phone now is £10/mth SIM.

The AI stuff looks pretty cool, but is it worth it?

Urban

The AI Stuff looked really interesting! That circle to search feature especially.
But as a EU citizen we get the Exynos Chips for the Basic modells and the Snapdragon for the Ultra series, so again a big L on that side.
I wonder if the circle feature will come to Google Pixel phones too

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
This is getting blasted all over the internet and especially on Reddit, I mean, can you really blame them ? This is basically the S23U 1.5 ffs, some really lazy shit...
Titanium body (they keep shitting on Apple but they sure like copying them), worse cameras, same battery.

The only upgrades seem to be the better chip (SD8 gen3) and the flat screen - and all this at a higher price than before...
It's not even a real upgrade but a side grade.

And oh, the AI stuff is licensed until 2025 - something which the influencers obviously forgot to mention.

I'll pass and wait for the s25u

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
This is getting blasted all over the internet and especially on Reddit, I mean, can you really fault them ? This is basically the S23U 1.5 ffs, some really lazy shit...
Titanium body (the keep shitting on Apple but they sure like copying them), worse cameras , same battery.

The only upgrades seem to be the better chip (SD8 gen3) and the flat screen and all this at a higher price than before...
It's not even a real upgrade but a side grade.

And oh, the AI stuff is licensed until 2025 - something which the influencers obviously forgot to mention.

I'll pass and wait for the s25u

Completely agree, it's like a .5 version upgrade which tbf was the same with the S23 over the 22, curious about this AI licensing you mentioned, surely that can't be right?

Personally I'm still holding off for the perfect fold Z series phone at a reasonable price, i.e. internal S Pen slot, same cameras as the Ultra series and make it a bit thinner

DJ12

Got an 1tb s23 ultra so will skip it, doesn't make much sense to get a new one. Will probs take an interest next year or plump for a fold.

The misses had a flip and the screen split after the warranty ran out so a bit reluctant to get a fold for that reason.

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
The AI Stuff looked really interesting! That circle to search feature especially.
But as a EU citizen we get the Exynos Chips for the Basic modells and the Snapdragon for the Ultra series, so again a big L on that side.
I wonder if the circle feature will come to Google Pixel phones too
Isn't Google Lens already doing that on Pixels ?
I can snap a picture through Lens and tap anything and it will search it, no need to circle it, just tap (you can adjust the square size too).

It even works with apps, just go to the apps switcher and tap Select at the bottom, tap something then you can use Lens from there and search for anything or just select text to copy or translate it.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Mobile phone upgrades have become so boring and stale really.
You're not wrong. I'm due an upgrade, have been for a few months now. I took my son into Vodaphone as I knew he'd prattle on about 'The best phone!!!'

Looked around, looked at a few pixels, Samsung (Not Apple, can't stand em) and it struck me..

I look at Gaf, a few banking apps and use the timer for cooking. My phone takes good enough pictures and most new phones don't even have SD card storage..

We walked out. Just can't be arsed. What's the point? A new one does what my old one does anyway.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
I have S23U because I dropped my Pixel 7 Pro and that was the cheapest flagship option available at that time
imo the only thing they are good at is reliability unlike Google. But the camera is still no where near pixel level and video recording is no where near iPhone. The fingerprint scanner is also dogshit. Could just be me.
Regardless, I am not a fan of Samsung's flagship phones and recommend everyone to just wait for good deals. I got mine for half the price from Google Fi. They are the Ubisoft of phone world lol never buy on day 1, it will have even better deals in few months.

Last edited:

Zathalus

If you are on Android and want a new phone then the Galaxy S24 Ultra and the Pixel 8 Pro are the best choices right now. The Pixel 8 Pro would be a perfect recommendation if it was not for the performance and battery life lagging behind everyone.

Erebus

You're not wrong. I'm due an upgrade, have been for a few months now. I took my son into Vodaphone as I knew he'd prattle on about 'The best phone!!!'

Looked around, looked at a few pixels, Samsung (Not Apple, can't stand em) and it struck me..

I look at Gaf, a few banking apps and use the timer for cooking. My phone takes good enough pictures and most new phones don't even have SD card storage..

We walked out. Just can't be arsed. What's the point? A new one does what my old one does anyway.
I'm an Apple enthusiast and used to eagerly anticipate the annual upgrades, but my interest has waned in recent years. The same sentiment extends to the Android side of devices. Companies make compelling efforts to persuade consumers to invest in their latest, extravagantly priced phones each year. Additionally, tech influencers and so-called "reviewers" contribute to this perpetual cycle of hype throughout the product's lifecycle. However, even if one succumbs to the temptation and upgrades, the initial excitement tends to dissipate within the first couple of days. Unless your phone is more than 4-5 years old, the average person is unlikely to perceive any substantial changes.

Klosshufvud

Word of Warning:

Fucking greedy ass Samsung has gone back to using Exynos chips for S24-S24+ in Europe. This in contrary to previous year's models where all S23 models had Snapdragon Gen 2. This is a straight up scam. They've on top of his also RAISED prices again. I'm guessing Samsung is desperately trying to compensate those 20% drop in sales through higher profit margins. I can't advice anyone to get these devices right now.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
I'm an Apple enthusiast and used to eagerly anticipate the annual upgrades, but my interest has waned in recent years. The same sentiment extends to the Android side of devices. Companies make compelling efforts to persuade consumers to invest in their latest, extravagantly priced phones each year. Additionally, tech influencers and so-called "reviewers" contribute to this perpetual cycle of hype throughout the product's lifecycle. However, even if one succumbs to the temptation and upgrades, the initial excitement tends to dissipate within the first couple of days. Unless your phone is more than 4-5 years old, the average person is unlikely to perceive any substantial changes.
Exactly. But I'm of an even more luddite frame of mind when it comes to phones. I was utterly livid when most new companies did away with the 3.5 mil Jack. Not having an SD card slot, that crossed the line for me and that's the reason I never updated to the newer models.

As for the cameras, well, there is only so many mega pixels I need for taking pictures of cats or the wife and i'm not exactly trekking mount Fuji daily.. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I almost, almost walked out with a Pixel 8 though..

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Word of Warning:

Fucking greedy ass Samsung has gone back to using Exynos chips for S24-S24+ in Europe. This in contrary to previous year's models where all S23 models had Snapdragon Gen 2. This is a straight up scam. They've on top of his also RAISED prices again. I'm guessing Samsung is desperately trying to compensate those 20% drop in sales through higher profit margins. I can't advice anyone to get these devices right now.
In America the Ultra went up by $100 Luckily for me I haven't owned a Samsung since the Galaxy S2 thirteen years ago.

Klosshufvud

Exactly. But I'm of an even more luddite frame of mind when it comes to phones. I was utterly livid when most new companies did away with the 3.5 mil Jack. Not having an SD card slot, that crossed the line for me and that's the reason I never updated to the newer models.

As for the cameras, well, there is only so many mega pixels I need for taking pictures of cats or the wife and i'm not exactly trekking mount Fuji daily.. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I almost, almost walked out with a Pixel 8 though..
The removal of 3.5mm and MicroSD was such a huge anti-consumer change and I'm still not accepting it. It's been 5 years now and people still really use that 3.5mm jack. I have latest Airpods Pro but there are ton of scenarios where corded headphones is just more convenient. Bluetooth is not an objective improvement.

Fbh

Seems like a pretty boring upgrade.
I'm looking to finally upgrade from my S8 this year but I'll probably just go with a S22 or S23 when they are on sale.
Would have liked to try a Pixel (maybe the 7A) but google sadly still refuses to sell them in smaller markets.

Dural

Any fans? I have an S22 Ultra, so it's two years old and pretty much does everything I could possibly want but I'm getting that niggling in the back of my head that us western consumerism robots get when something new and shiny releases but I'm just not seeing that big a leap to justify a purchase considering all I pay for my phone now is £10/mth SIM.

The AI stuff looks pretty cool, but is it worth it?

Also have the S22 Ultra, love the phone other than the stupid curved screen (can't get a screen protector to stay on for the life of me). The S24 Ultra has a flat screen, so if there's a good deal I'll be upgrading.

Sleepwalker

I have a fold 5 so no interest in this.

I upgrade through samsung trade in program here in Canada which makes 8t very hard to leave the ecosystem, usually able to get $700-1k trade in for my current phone + evoucher for another 100 discount, sometimes theyll give you a watch or buds 2 pro for free too lol (got each 1 time).

I like the fold s lot but my favorite phone is still the galaxy Note 4 I used to have back in the day.

Klosshufvud

what does the AI stuff bring to the table that makes the experience better?

Microsoft's little copilot experiment on Windows 11 has garnered basically 0 interest from me and I have a feeling that this will be the same too.
It allows Google Lens more widely used and some Youtubers are saying the live translation thing on a call works well. Though why you would willingly call someone who can't even speak your language is beyond me. Sounds extremely situational to me.

Most of all, AI is highly advertised to please shareholders and from stock price to tank. Remember Samsung VR?

AGRacing

Not interested.

I honestly am a little put off by the ease of fake photo generator.. which is what these ai features would be called if they were named honestly.

Like 6 seconds from a half assed jump pose to you’re 10 feet in the air on mars. I often think of my child scrolling through photos of me after Im gone and he is an adult.. wondering if any of it actually happened.

Klosshufvud

Not interested.

I honestly am a little put off by the ease of fake photo generator.. which is what these ai features would be called if they were named honestly.

Like 6 seconds from a half assed jump pose to you’re 10 feet in the air on mars. I often think of my child scrolling through photos of me after Im gone and he is an adult.. wondering if any of it actually happened.
Now that's a discussion that is sorely absent. It seems the current fixation is on the manipulation of reality. You can remove entire people from photos and the photos themselves go through so much AI processing that it's hard to tell what the actual view was like when you saw it with your own eyes. I'd rather have slightly blurrier pictures knowing they weren't manipulated to hell and beyond than the current fixation of having those perfect Instagram pictures. It's all so vain.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
In my opinion i'd rather learn the language than rely in a potentially faulty AI to interpret what they're saying to me

Useful enough i guess, but doesn't seem like something that needs AI to work super well

Yeah cause learning a new language is as easy as downloading in the Matrix...

diffusionx

Gold Member
Felt the same way about the iPhone 15 that I do about this one, the updates are so marginal and slight it seems like a waste of effort, and the way the companies try to position these as great upgrades is really stupid.

I wanted it but now Im not so sure.

These AI tools that we all putz around in take massive amounts of computing resources from super high-end designs and it's all being subsidized but like everything else that can't go on forever.

Last edited:

Dr.D00p

Gold Member
I only really care because the Snapdragon Gen 3 chip is going to start turning up in premium Android handheld gaming devices sometime this year and should be finally powerful enough to emulate pretty much everything upto and including the Switch at full speed with a nice amount of resolution upscaling.

...couldn't give a shit about the the S24, no phone is worth the kind of money they want for them.

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Felt the same way about the iPhone 15 that I do about this one, the updates are so marginal and slight it seems like a waste of effort, and the way the companies try to position these as great upgrades is really stupid.

These AI tools that we all putz around in take massive amounts of computing resources from super high-end designs and it's all being subsidized but like everything else that can't go on forever.

Then they should've made a better AI phone instead of relying on the cloud AI. I mean their whole tease shtick was the AI thing only to find out every android will have the cloud AI. So why the fuck would anyone buy a premium phone only to have its features taken away? This seems like a massive scam to me. I hope they can clear these things as reddit is shitting on the phone badly.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Then they should've made a better AI phone instead of relying on the cloud AI. I mean their whole tease shtick was the AI thing only to find out every android will have the cloud AI. So why the fuck would anyone buy a premium phone only to have its features taken away? This seems like a massive scam to me. I hope they can clear these things as reddit is shitting on the phone badly.
It's impossible to put those features on a phone just yet, the amount of computing power to do this processing is staggering.

Now in my opinion once you make this stuff free it needs to be free for all time but I can also see why Samsung has set it up this way. Apple actually did the same thing with their satellite phone feature but they keep extending it out because it's a bad look to say "yah sorry if you don't pay you will die in a ditch LMAO"

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Phones are really having issues with diminishing returns. The only real area the need to improve is the battery and they won’t do that as then people would buy less often. I have 14 pro max and literally see no reason to upgrade at all. I’ll probably stay on this for a few years. I’m hoping like 3-4 more.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
It's impossible to put those features on a phone just yet, the amount of computing power to do this processing is staggering.

Now in my opinion once you make this stuff free it needs to be free for all time but I can also see why Samsung has set it up this way. Apple actually did the same thing with their satellite phone feature but they keep extending it out because it's a bad look to say "yah sorry if you don't pay you will die in a ditch LMAO"

I undestand that but tech wise the phone isnt better than its predecessor, I would hardly even call it an incremental upgrade so what exactly is the point of the phone then? You can just buy the s23 ultra cheaper and have the exact same thing.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I undestand that but tech wise the phone isnt better than its predecessor, I would hardly even call it an incremental upgrade so what exactly is the point of the phone then? You can just buy the s23 ultra cheaper and have the exact same thing.
Well, yea, I agree. I had to get a new phone a few months before the iPhone 15 came out, and I was thinking I would regret it, but the differences between 14 Pro and 15 Pro are so slight it just doesn't matter.

It made sense to release phones every year when CPU technology was going up 50-75% a year, screen tech was advancing rapidly, every OS release had massive changes, but all this settled down five years ago.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Phones are boring now.

I think the manufacturers have run out of ways to innovate and are stuck with trying to find ways to make things sound exciting.

I used to love new phones, but the past couple I've had haven't REALLY been any better than the one I had 5 years ago. A bit quicker, sure, but generally speaking I wonder if diminishing returns are now in full effect.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Phones are boring now.

I think the manufacturers have run out of ways to innovate and are stuck with trying to find ways to make things sound exciting.

I used to love new phones, but the past couple I've had haven't REALLY been any better than the one I had 5 years ago. A bit quicker, sure, but generally speaking I wonder if diminishing returns are now in full effect.
It has to be. But, you wait..

The next hot new 'thing' coming in will be...

A 3.5 mil Jack and SD card support. A revolution they'll say :messenger_smirking:

Klosshufvud

Samsung's own analysts have deducted that a big sales boost occurs when they release a new product. So when sales are faltering, how do you preserve sales and therefore income? Well, you simply release more products. Samsung has been like this for years. Endless product releases in order to always stay in the spotlight. If you want some context as to why Samsung is pushing these devices faster than usual:

I am convinced if they had actually let some time pass between releases they could've pushed for some more meaningful upgrades instead of "slightly better chip, slightly better display, slightly better camera"...

Top Bottom