• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So the Samsung S24 just revealed itself

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
The AI search stuff are all part of Google Lens, the translation is nice, but in a world connected not sure how much use it'll be. They prob did it mostly for their home market.

I think the camera is impressive, but I will never be able to invest so much money on a phone I only use for whatsapp and grindr.

I've a Samsung S22 Ultra and have no interest in upgrading unless there is a huge leap in spec, which I very much doubt. Minimum effort maximum price.

Mexen

I think they look cool 😎
The AI could be a game changer
I imagine if it takes off then the S26 might be the one to get but I use an iPhone 11 so at best I’m intrigued by new phones nothing more

RavageX

Phones are boring now.

I think the manufacturers have run out of ways to innovate and are stuck with trying to find ways to make things sound exciting.

I used to love new phones, but the past couple I've had haven't REALLY been any better than the one I had 5 years ago. A bit quicker, sure, but generally speaking I wonder if diminishing returns are now in full effect.
ALL of this is true. There was a time when a new phone meant actual new features and gadgets.

Now they all practically release the same damn thing, move a notch here, move a camera there, ooooh 3 cameras! An "action" button.

They really haven't done anything special outside of the folding screen. Only taken things away. No good reason not to have a jack or SD card slot. Removable battery and all that jazz. Not that any of it is a big deal to me, but I see little reason to get excited about anything phone related these days.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
ALL of this is true. There was a time when a new phone meant actual new features and gadgets.

Now they all practically release the same damn thing, move a notch here, move a camera there, ooooh 3 cameras! An "action" button.

They really haven't done anything special outside of the folding screen. Only taken things away. No good reason not to have a jack or SD card slot. Removable battery and all that jazz. Not that any of it is a big deal to me, but I see little reason to get excited about anything phone related these days.

Part of me wonders who actually cares about the design of phones. It's a rectangle. If it had to be a bit boxier but you could change the battery, I would go for that.

Given that practically everyone puts their phone in a case, I don't know why phone reviewers go on about premium materials either. I've only seen the glass back of my phone about 5 times.

It does of course mean that if you drop it, it's more likely to shatter than if the phone's back was plastic.

And better battery life is one thing that a new phone gives you. Mainly because the battery on your old phone is worn out. I wonder how many phones get replaced because the battery doesn't hold much of a charge?

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Part of me wonders who actually cares about the design of phones. It's a rectangle. If it had to be a bit boxier but you could change the battery, I would go for that.

Given that practically everyone puts their phone in a case, I don't know why phone reviewers go on about premium materials either. I've only seen the glass back of my phone about 5 times.

It does of course mean that if you drop it, it's more likely to shatter than if the phone's back was plastic.

And better battery life is one thing that a new phone gives you. Mainly because the battery on your old phone is worn out. I wonder how many phones get replaced because the battery doesn't hold much of a charge?
Agree, hell with the S22 Ultra you absolutely need a case, the fucking thing is slippery than a lubed up eel, it's a pity mind as these things are tough as hell, durable and really look the part... Then we go make em bigger and stick em in a plastic case, I hate that mine is in a case but it's a necessity otherwise I'd be dropping it all the time

squallheart

Was planning on upgrading but doesn't look that impressive. I'm pretty much done with my fold 4 it's fun but I'm sick and tired of the inner screen protector bubbling and peeling. Getting it replaced where I live sucks because some shops say oh they can't do it either send it in or drive 50 min away. So I was hoping to get this samsung. The ai stuff foe me is meh and they haven't done much to the cameras.

Tams

It's one of the reasons I have up watching pretty much all phone reviewers.

And they are partially to blame for all this 'premium material' nonsense.

Do you know what is a 'premium material'? Some good quality polycarbonate a.k.a. plastic.

Phones were so much better in the 00s, especially the second half of that decade. Actual tools, not jewellery.

AndrewRyan

Pre-ordered an Ultra to replace my 5 year old Note! Love that it's supported for 7 years. My favorite features are its AI chip, titanium frame, and thrilled they finally ditched the curved screen. Don't typically game on these but might try one of those game grips like the g8 Galileo, Backbone or a dualsense clip.

kikkis

Phones are powerful enough that you could replace desktop and laptop with it on external monitor. But here we are, with ai gimmicks.

Apparently the regular S24 series will not support WiFi 7, because they are Snapdragon in North America and Exynos in ROTW and while SD8G3 supports 7, Exynos does not. So Samsung will cripple the North American S24 to make sure it's not "better" than the ROTW version.

The S24 Ultra is SD worldwide and will support WiFi 7.

Typical retarded decision making from Samsung. No wonder Apple is now outselling them worldwide.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Getting rid of the headphone socket ought to have landed Apple in the dock. Being out with headphones but no battery is so bloody annoying.
If only!

And nothing worse than getting half way down the road and you've just realised you've only 8% battery left. Or one of the buds is out of sync thus you have to perform some form of gang signs on your head phones to get them back in sync..

I miss wired.

chromhound

I'm still using an s5. Honestly it's getting a bit slow at times.
Robin Williams What Year Is It GIF

tkscz

Unless T-mobile allows me to have a free upgrade from my S23, no need for me to. While I'd love to get a phone with the Snapdragon 8 gen 3 for PS3 emulation, I can go without for a while.

splattered

Wife and I usually get new phone every 2 to 3 years. We currently have the s22 ultra 5g... Traded them in direct to Samsung got green and orange colors. Only 512gb versions , we really don't store that much data. Looking forward to them. About 734 each phone out the door after s22 trade in.

Neon Xenon

Currently, I've got a Galaxy S22+ that I was looking to upgrade this year. So of course, when I go online to check as I'm typing this, T-Mobile doesn't have any more S23+ or S23 Ultras to upgrade to, but they're got plenty of S24s. It's possible they're temporarily out of stock, but still.

I get that Samsung needs to push their shiny new Galaxy AI, which definitely doesn't have anything to do with Apple pushing AI, but it's not something I care about upgrading to use.

YCoCg

It feels like the current trend of phones for the next year or two is going to be all about AI and how AI can help fake stuff in your photos or how an AI assistant can monitor what you do and help you, can't say it's a trend I'm looking forward to.

nkarafo

I used to love new phones, but the past couple I've had haven't REALLY been any better than the one I had 5 years ago. A bit quicker, sure, but generally speaking I wonder if diminishing returns are now in full effect.

I still have a mid-range phone from 2018. A Samsung A7 (2018), with Android 8 (i still refuse to upgrade to 9).

I paid 220 euros for it 5 years ago. It has an amazing looking Super Amoled screen, a miniSD slot and a fucking 3.5 jack for headphones. It's also fast enough to run everything i want without lag. It helps that i'm one of those people who know how to de-bloat and maintain any operating system they use.

So basically i don't need a new phone, even though the battery is not performing well after all this time. But i managed to damage the screen to the point where it wouldn't turn ON anymore (but the phone would still work since i could hear the sounds). I thought, hey, maybe it's time to buy a new phone then right?

WRONG. In order to get a phone from the same company and with similar features today, i have to pay at least 240 euros for the A30 something, i don't remember the model exactly. Which isn't even mid-range. That's also the cheapest Samsung phone that has a Super Amoled screen and a miniSD slot but it lacks the fucking 3.5 jack. And like i said, it's not even considered a mid-range phone, more like a mid/low tier. So the build quality is more likely worse.

My current A7 was an upgrade from my previous Galaxy S3... a flagship, more expensive phone. 5 years later i got a mid-range phone that felt like a huge upgrade. The S3 couldn't even run Google Maps anymore at a sane frame rate. The A7 has 4x the RAM, 4x the storage, was much bigger in size with similar or better screen quality, etc, at a lower price. A huge upgrade, despite going lower tier. And now, another 5 years later, i have to pay way more to see a similar upgrade gap. And the flagships are like what, 3x times more expensive or what? One solution is to leave Samsung and look to Xiaomi or other Chinese companies. So another regression really, there's no way i'm going to trust any Chinese tech company, sorry.

So after 5 years, the same amount of money buys me a lower tier phone with very anemic improvements and missing features (let alone paying less, like i did with my previous upgrade). Sure it has slightly more RAM (mine has 4, this one 6) but i never actually needed that much RAM... It has 128GB internal storage (mine has 64GB) but it's not like i need more space since i use an extra 128GB miniSD that covers all my needs anyway. Is the newer model faster? Dunno, probably, but it's not like i need any extra speed right now either. Does it have better cameras? I don't know or care. Lastly, i really hate the newer Android/Samsung OS versions. All changes/removals/additions make the usage worse. I tried a Xiaomi as well and it's even more annoying to use. It's like going from something perfect like Windows 7, to the original Windows 8 or something. Shit becomes worse and more cluttered after every update.

So i decided to buy a new screen and install it myself. It cost me 48 euros. I'm planning on changing the battery as well at some point. It's the best choice and i fear that i'm stuck with my current phone forever so now i'm really careful with it, got a new fat wallet/folder case for it to be safe.

/Rant

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
As I'm now back to traveling weekly and using my phone more I'm finally upgrading my S21 Ultra to this.

It will also be my first Samsung phone with a snapdragon as up until the S23, Samsung fucked Europe by giving us a much worse chip that liked to overheat in the flagships.

Indeed rumors had it Samsung wanted to return to fucking over Europe with the S24, glad to see they didn't.

Last edited:

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Keeping my S21FE for two more years android upgrades supported until like 2026

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Out of interest I see mention that the S24 ultra does not go far enough. What would these other things be?

The anti reflective scratch resistant screen, titanium finish and gen 3 processor all seem like solid winners to me.

I see mention of the camera change not being seen as an upgrade (which is arguable at best considering the huge jump in MP on the 5x)

What major changes have competitors got at the moment that leap frogs this into pretty standard fare? Is it simply that its not twice the phone the S23 Ultra was? Or is there stuff not available that out preforms this at the price point comfortably?

Last edited:

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Out of interest I see mention that the S24 ultra does not go far enough. What would these other things be?

The anti reflective scratch resistant screen, titanium finish and gen 3 processor all seem like solid winners to me.

I see mention of the camera change not being seen as an upgrade (which is arguable at best considering the huge jump in MP on the 5x)

What major changes have competitors got at the moment that leap frogs this into pretty standard fare? Is it simply that its not twice the phone the S23 Ultra was? Or is there stuff not available that out preforms this at the price point comfortably?
Google, Apple, Vivo, Oppo and Xiaomi have phones with much better photo, video and zoom capabilities due to better/bigger camera sensors. They are more affordable and didn't jack up the price by $100 to pay for AI gimmicks which Samsung will start charging for in 2025 according to rumors. If you feel a Titanium frame, AI gimmicks, a downgradeed zoom camera plus a $100 price jump justify "upgrading" from an S23 by all means

Last edited:

Tams

From some reviews, the cameras do look better, especially exposure wise. Probably mostly postprocessing algorithm changes, but they rarely port those over to older devices.

What I would like to see is more physical controls, especially a two-stage camera one. A rotary encoder would be nice too. Obviously things like a second USB C port and a 3.5mm port, plus a microSD slot. A replaceable battery would be icing on the cake.

There is absolutely more that they could do, but I will give it to Samsung that they have made a decent number of improvements and changes.

The AI stuff is interesting and seems to work. Oh the chaos that is going to be unleashed into the hands of the tech illerate. Lots of naughty stuff you'll now be very easily able to do.

JayK47

These new phones are out of control insane. 3+ cameras. Fucking AI. Can't trust any photo taken with the phone as it is likely to have been tampered with by AI. No really, I am just that sexy.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Google, Apple, Vivo, Oppo and Xiaomi have phones with much better photo, video and zoom capabilities due to better/bigger camera sensors. They are more affordable and didn't jack up the price by $100 to pay for AI gimmicks which Samsung will start charging for in 2025 according to rumors. If you feel a Titanium frame, AI gimmicks, a downgradeed zoom camera plus a $100 price jump justify "upgrading" from an S23 by all means

Upgrading from an S21 here, so for me it's going to be a solid jump especially considering EU didn't get Snapdragon chips until the S23. Current ones not holding charge anymore, and overheats when gaming.

Last edited:

Klosshufvud

Upgrading from an S21 here, so for me it's going to be a solid jump especially considering EU didn't get Snapdragon chips until the S23. Current ones not holding charge anymore, and overheats when gaming.
Only the S24 Ultra model has Snapdragon. Unlike the S23 line where every phone had Snapdragon.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Only the S24 Ultra model has Snapdragon. Unlike the S23 line where every phone had Snapdragon.
Good thing is getting the ultra then, I'm a sucker for extra bells and whistles, but nice to see Samsung returning to their shitty practice in the EU for a majority.

Any fans? I have an S22 Ultra, so it's two years old and pretty much does everything I could possibly want but I'm getting that niggling in the back of my head that us western consumerism robots get when something new and shiny releases but I'm just not seeing that big a leap to justify a purchase considering all I pay for my phone now is £10/mth SIM.

The AI stuff looks pretty cool, but is it worth it?

NO Imo.

iPhone 15 is still trading blows with this thing. Camera can use some work via software updates. The AI stuff is cool but right now its pretty average as per many reviews. They could have left the AI stuff in the oven for another year or two. I suspect the Galaxy S26 will have really good AI intergration from the get go.

It's still early days for AI in mobile phones and that's not enough to sell me on a new phone. My S21 Ultra still doing a bang up job on the daily for me.

Some have already replied its a minor upgrade over the S23 Ultra and have to agree with that.

Last edited:

Jayjayhd34

AI voice translator sounds amazing. I really want one. I was rough place so sold iPhone 15. Now back using budget Samsung phone. I use protector for usb c port but every dam budget phone I get no matter how careful I am get charging issues no fast charging sometimes 20 hour charging its nightmare never had these problem on ancexpensive phone.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Ironically I think this is the best update since the addition of 120hz ltpo.

Going from an s23u to a Pixel 8 Pro with poor battery life and odd home screen blankness made it easy to go back to the S24U 512gb. The flat screen is the reason I needed. The addition of the high end Snapdragon and AI stuff is great.

Just like the Note 10, this will the device that stays with me for a few years.

For an age when we are waiting for the next rectangle phone, this one actually changes more than usual and people are downplaying that.

Last edited:

LiquidMetal14

Word of Warning:

Fucking greedy ass Samsung has gone back to using Exynos chips for S24-S24+ in Europe. This in contrary to previous year's models where all S23 models had Snapdragon Gen 2. This is a straight up scam. They've on top of his also RAISED prices again. I'm guessing Samsung is desperately trying to compensate those 20% drop in sales through higher profit margins. I can't advice anyone to get these devices right now.
I saw a video showing slightly higher temps than the Snapdragon variant but they weren't clear on the measurement so take to with a grain of salt. Contrary reports say it's the same or a little cooler than the s23u.

I went from an S9+ to an S23 Ultra. Gonna wait a while.
The s23u is awesome. I wouldn't probably upgrade BUT my 23u has a crack in it and also the flat screen. The last high end one like this was the s21u and this new one has the AI processors and bigger screen overall. It's a win for me and don't want to upgrade from the 24u for a couple years at least.

We get a new phone every 2 years thought my work.

S5 - S7 - S9 - S20 - S22

Looking forward to the S24. I dont expect anything crazy.
I think you're going to be happy and should mess around with the AI features. The GPU is incrementally better but if it's for work and you don't play high end mobile games, you'll just be happy with how smooth One UI 6.1 and a stable smooth experience.

7 yrs of OS and security updates is pretty damn great

I only really care because the Snapdragon Gen 3 chip is going to start turning up in premium Android handheld gaming devices sometime this year and should be finally powerful enough to emulate pretty much everything upto and including the Switch at full speed with a nice amount of resolution upscaling.

...couldn't give a shit about the the S24, no phone is worth the kind of money they want for them.

1k for a spyware data harvesting tool.
The phone you're be using to read this reply knows how you like to fap in the attic and troll while taking a dump.

Pre-ordered an Ultra to replace my 5 year old Note! Love that it's supported for 7 years. My favorite features are its AI chip, titanium frame, and thrilled they finally ditched the curved screen. Don't typically game on these but might try one of those game grips like the g8 Galileo, Backbone or a dualsense clip.
The 7 years of support is major and shouldn't be ignored.

These are interesting times were living in and competition spurs a newer and better way of servicing the customer base.

The 7 years great with the Pixel and now the Galaxy 24 series.

Musashipan

Pre-order s24 ultra + galaxy watch 6 half price!
Let's see if I can notice the difference between s10 + and s24 ultra!

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Phones straight getting on my nerves. Gimme something like this:
fashion.png

But with encryption and made out of titanium or tungsten, so it can double as a brutal self-defense weapon.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Ironically I think this is the best update since the addition of 120hz ltpo.

Going from an s23u to a Pixel 8 Pro with poor battery life and odd home screen blankness made it easy to go back to the S24U 512gb. The flat screen is the reason I needed. The addition of the high end Snapdragon and AI stuff is great.

Just like the Note 10, this will the device that stays with me for a few years.

For an age when we are waiting for the next rectangle phone, this one actually changes more than usual and people are downplaying that.
Unless you're coming from something at least 3 years old what does it change? Titanium? Meh. AI gimmicks? Pass. Faster processor? We reached the point of diminishing returns awhile back. Downgraded zoom camera?

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I am out of the loop, my Galaxy phones were as follows:
S2-S4-S6-S8--A52 5G and I will update when battery will get weak. Phones got ridiculously expensive and when you are not taking much pictures, its useless to have flagships when you can have midrange with 80% of the features for fraction of the price.

LiquidMetal14

Unless you're coming from something at least 3 years old what does it change? Titanium? Meh. AI gimmicks? Pass. Faster processor? We reached the point of diminishing returns awhile back. Downgraded zoom camera?
I'm actually not disagreeing with you. I said almost as such but as somebody who looks at these things every year pretty closely as a grown ass man who can get whatever I want, I can choose to not buy this. It's just in my particular situation. I'm pretty sure I outlined that I've gone through a broken screen which unfortunately I didn't ensure which forced me to get a pixel 8 Pro which I like, but has the issues that I noted, and to continue this run-on sentence, frankly, I wouldn't probably be upgrading unless they did the flat screen, which I think I did mention. That flat screen alone has ensured that I upgrade and also stick with that particular phone, meaning the s24 ultra, for at least a few years. I think we line up except I have my own goal post reasons that makes sense for myself. I will still say that this is one of the more substantial upgrades in the last few years. And that's despite obviously you seeing that is the same little rectangle with mostly the same outline. I think it's worth an upgrade for anybody that's on anything from an s22 or an s21. But like I said, if you were really all about that flat screen and didn't want to compromise and get the best model, this is the one for you.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Felt the same way about the iPhone 15 that I do about this one, the updates are so marginal and slight it seems like a waste of effort, and the way the companies try to position these as great upgrades is really stupid.

These AI tools that we all putz around in take massive amounts of computing resources from super high-end designs and it's all being subsidized but like everything else that can't go on forever.
Just wait. I bet we are only 1-2 years out from "Hey phone, get me tickets to see Avatar 3 in imax next weekend", "Hey phone, set me up with a week long trip to the beach with the whole family for spring break", or "Hey phone, get me a dinner reservation for 3 at 7pm tonight" and it actually being able to complete these tasks successfully. AI "e-butlers" are really the direction that stuff is going IMHO. Everyone is just gonna be dictating orders to their phone and you'll pay $40/mo AND LIKE IT!! :p

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Just wait. I bet we are only 1-2 years out from "Hey phone, get me tickets to see Avatar 3 in imax next weekend", "Hey phone, set me up with a week long trip to the beach with the whole family for spring break", or "Hey phone, get me a dinner reservation for 3 at 7pm tonight" and it actually being able to complete these tasks successfully. AI "e-butlers" are really the direction that stuff is going IMHO. Everyone is just gonna be dictating orders to their phone and you'll pay $40/mo AND LIKE IT!! :p
They saw the videogame model and wanted a piece of the pie. Subscribtions anyone? Selling phones isn't the goal anymore. Thanks Samsung!

Last edited:
Top Bottom