• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Club - May 2021: Super Metroid

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I don't care about Nintendo franchises, EXCEPT Mario 2D games. Super fun and so many secrets it's impossible to know them all.

When I got my nieces that Mario Deluxe game I thought they'd like it. They actually don't care for it and prefer Smash or Kart. I probably played it more than them at their house. lol

I like the 2D Mario games more than the 3D ones. The 3D games have too much empty space. 2D platformers have shit to do on just about every screen.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Every platformer ever. Its mostly down for me where I can crouch groove to the beat.

tenor.gif

I forgot how floaty the Mario jumps feel versus SMB and SMB3. Now I remember why I think that SMB3 is the best 2D Mario. I will say that SMW is much more forgiving and 1ups are plentiful compared to the NES games.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
I remember seeing it in a kiosk in Walmart or something. I didn’t know what to make of the controller NES only had 2 buttons SNES seemed like overkill.

Great game tho. Worthy follow up to SMB3.

Cutty Flam

Banned
That's fair and both are great games. I think I prefer just about everything else SMB3 does over SMW though.
SMB3 is probably my pick for best 2D Mario game ever as well. I love Super Mario World. Super Mario Bros. 3 though, there is something magnificent about that game. I think it's the challenge, combined with the level design. For some reason, it's extremely fun to play through every level and see how many lives you can attain, no secret shortcuts, 100% it if you can. I tried but World 8 has my number, I don't know why I cannot get past it even after all these years lol

What is also fun is that the King's Theme is remixed in the very first Paper Mario (2001) for the N64. It's one of my favorite Nintendo songs, when someone had pointed out to me that the original melody was actually from SMB3, a remix of it, I was even more impressed
You guys are aware that Nintendo sells a literal Super Nintendo controller for the Switch? : P
https://www.8bitdo.com/sn30-pro-plus/

This one looks the best. Have you played played any games with the SN30 Pro+ before? I might pick one up if others have great things to say about it; there are a lot of great SNES games to play and playing it with the original SNES controller might be a game changer

Is it me or do you not have to be as precise with your jumps to stomp on enemies? There were several times where I would say the landing wasn’t centered and I got the kill. Btw cape Mario is basically the only way I play this game unless I’m under water.

I will say that I’ve never enjoyed the momentum that is needed for 2D Mario to start or stop. Probably one of the reason why Yoshi’s Island is my favorite ”Mario” game. I realize that most people enjoy that momentum but for me it just feels like an extra hurdle when the levels themselves are already difficult enough.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Finished up levels 3 and 4, all exits cleared so far. Now on to the forest where there are tons of wacky exits that are easy to miss. So far I'm at 48/96 exits.

As soon as I get that blue block, I'll go finish up star road and the special levels.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Is it me or do you not have to be as precise with your jumps to stomp on enemies? There were several times where I would say the landing wasn’t centered and I got the kill. Btw cape Mario is basically the only way I play this game unless I’m under water.
The hitbox is funky. You can even hit enemies on the way up during a jump, if timed correctly, and this has been true since Super Mario Bros.

Interesting, I never really noticed with SMB and SMB3. Maybe the difference is that those two games, especially the first one, you seem to get dragged down by gravity on the way down from a jump much more than SMW. It seems like I have more time to control my fall in SMW, so it’s more obvious to me.

https://www.8bitdo.com/sn30-pro-plus/

This one looks the best. Have you played played any games with the SN30 Pro+ before? I might pick one up if others have great things to say about it; there are a lot of great SNES games to play and playing it with the original SNES controller might be a game changer

I have a SN30 Pro, SN30 Pro+, and the Switch SNES controller. If you can only get one, make it the SN30 Pro+. It’s the most comfortable and versatile of the bunch. But if you can afford (and find) one, Nintendo did a great job with the SNES controller.

The SN30 Pro was good for it’s time, but if you have the other 2 there isn’t much reason for it to exist.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Got through first two worlds before the fate of sleep was bestowed upon me. Also I ended up watching more Cobra Kai. World 3 is where the game picks up as many have said. Going to finish this weekend.

SpiceRacz

Got all 96 exits today. I haven't done this in probably over a decade. Game is still great obviously. However, I still prefer Mario 3 - more unforgiving in difficulty, better soundtrack, more interesting level design, while also being a longer game. I remember reading somewhere World was an incomplete game and it definitely feels that way. To me, anyway.

Edit: wanted to add another observation; the controls in World feel very slippery in comparison to other Mario games. This was frustrating as I felt like I was missing jumps and dying more so due to the controls than difficulty.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Got all 96 exits today. I haven't done this in probably over a decade. Game is still great obviously. However, I still prefer Mario 3 - more unforgiving in difficulty, better soundtrack, more interesting level design, while also being a longer game. I remember reading somewhere World was an incomplete game and it definitely feels that way. To me, anyway.

Edit: wanted to add another observation; the controls in World feel very slippery in comparison to other Mario games. This was frustrating as I felt like I was missing jumps and dying more so due to the controls than difficulty.

I think the later game in 3 is stronger than World but the earlier game is better in world.

There's more variety in world art design late game in SMB3 but I don't exactly love the actual level design and obstacles in those later levels.

I had never heard that world was incomplete. That would be an interesting thing to read.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Nicely done SpiceRacz SpiceRacz , I'm nearly there. I'm finishing up the last map. Already entered Bowser's Back Door 😩 💦 Gonna finish up the last few levels/exits and this will be a wrap.

Fucking Rezor.
Always wait for a rotation where you can kill #2 and #3 in quick succession, as the floor starts to fall right after you kill #2. It's much harder when people rush through Reznor on the wrong parts.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Nicely done SpiceRacz SpiceRacz , I'm nearly there. I'm finishing up the last map. Already entered Bowser's Back Door 😩 💦 Gonna finish up the last few levels/exits and this will be a wrap.

Always wait for a rotation where you can kill #2 and #3 in quick succession, as the floor starts to fall right after you kill #2. It's much harder when people rush through Reznor on the wrong parts.

I'm actually decent at the quick reznor kill but for whatever god damn reason the MOMENT the floor starts to go my brain just shuts off.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I think it was more that Miyamoto couldn’t put everything he wanted into it? Not so much that it was incomplete. I believe it’s actually his favorite 2D Mario.

Obviously there's always content left on the cutting room floor but with it being s launch title I'd like to see what was left out.

The Wacky World sequel incomplete build got out a few years ago, I wonder how much of that was just left over content.

Last edited:
Important question - how come there aren’t more memes and jokes in general about Bowser’s Back Door? It’s right up there with “So long Gay Bowser” in potential.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Important question - how come there aren’t more memes and jokes in general about Bowser’s Back Door? It’s right up there with “So long Gay Bowser” in potential.
Because most normies didn't get that far / find that secret but "so long gay bowser" is from the first few hours of SM64.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I've only got 18 exits left to unlock - a few in world 6, all of world 7, and six more levels in the special world. Hoping to have this cleaned up in the next couple of days.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
How could you peasants let this thread slip?!

Anyway, figured I'd throw a starter out there: any enemies that caught your attention this time around?

I thought the Boo Blocks were an underused concept and should've been in more ghost houses (to access those ever-elusive secrets). I also wish there were more Sumo Bros (they didn't really appear until much later).

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Been busy with work and I think people are finishing up so thread is slipping. But next game poll will be going up next week. I have a theme in mind.

I will say the month long might be a bit too long. I am thinking about switching it to 2 weeks for most games. BUt some games that will obviously take a lot more time maybe give a month long?

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Been busy with work and I think people are finishing up so thread is slipping. But next game poll will be going up next week. I have a theme in mind.

I will say the month long might be a bit too long. I am thinking about switching it to 2 weeks for most games. BUt some games that will obviously take a lot more time maybe give a month long?
Depends on the game.

IMO either shorten it to something a bit challenging (like finishing it within one week) or leave it at a month with weekly challenges / updates / etc to keep people engaged.

You're the boss. Maybe pick a stage each week and GAFers post their high score or fastest completion (only applies to certain games, obv)

Why not adjust length on a per game basis? Super Mario World is very short so i think 2 to 3 weeks would work. But if we picked FF6 I’d be struggling to get through it even if I had the whole month. If we chose Star Fox I’d say we gotta do Star Fox and Star Fox 2 together, otherwise a single week is more than enough time for a game that can be completed in a couple sittings.

Top Bottom