• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Club - May 2021: Super Metroid

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I'm in of course, but

3QSWs66.png

Explain! How is it tracked?

Fitzchiv

Great idea. I side loaded every SNES game I had as a kid onto the SNES Mini, but have struggled to work out why I've not got the 96 exits on SMW. This is a great excuse to revisit!

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Explain! How is it tracked?
The easiest way is via Retroarch. There is a settings option for it.

Step 1: Create account at Retroachievements.org

Step 2: Enter account information into Retroarch

Settings -> Achievements

c4ZCWML.png

Step 3: Play game (you'll see a confirmation at the bottom of the screen regarding leaderboards and achievement unlock status)

QXCrJw9.png

Step 4: Do the thing (you will get an achievement popup and optional sound / optional automatic screenshot)

Step 5: Double-check your profile that everything is working correctly, and brag to your friends

TJQXssg.png

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Nikana Nikana a lot of the "optional challenges" for harder tasks, you could draw on the community achievement lists for inspiration, and we would be able to easily prove that we actually accomplished the task (as long as you play on an internet-connected device).

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
The easiest way is via Retroarch. There is a settings option for it.

Step 1: Create account at Retroachievements.org

Step 2: Enter account information into Retroarch

Settings -> Achievements

c4ZCWML.png

Step 3: Play game (you'll see a confirmation at the bottom of the screen regarding leaderboards and achievement unlock status)

QXCrJw9.png

Step 4: Do the thing (you will get an achievement popup and optional sound / optional automatic screenshot)

Step 5: Double-check your profile that everything is working correctly, and brag to your friends

TJQXssg.png

Is there an honor system for people that are playing on real hardware or classic?

jshackles

Is there an honor system for people that are playing on real hardware or classic?
Sadly I believe they can only be unlocked either with Retroarch or their own emulator.

GAMETA

Banned
SMW is great but it's hard to get the will to play it again... There are "less known" amazing games that were less accessible for kids back then that would blow people's minds nowadays.

Super Metroid
Super Castlevania IV
Demon's Crest
F-zero
Earthbound
Secret of Mana

The "mainstream" on the SNES is perfect and high quality, but I think most of us have played those already (or maybe there are not that many 30+ yo dudes in here, lol)

John Day

SMW is great but it's hard to get the will to play it again... There are "less known" amazing games that were less accessible for kids back then that would blow people's minds nowadays.

Super Metroid
Super Castlevania IV
Demon's Crest
F-zero
Earthbound
Secret of Mana

The "mainstream" on the SNES is perfect and high quality, but I think most of us have played those already (or maybe there are not that many 30+ yo dudes in here, lol)
We could switch it up each month. 1 month a popular, common and accesible title (like a mario game), the next a lesser known game.

This is the birth of something retro cool, hopefully we can cover all bases!

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
We could switch it up each month. 1 month a popular, common and accesible title (like a mario game), the next a lesser known game.

This is the birth of something retro cool, hopefully we can cover all bases!

My plan in my head was to have themes some months. RPG, hidden gems, beat em ups, etc.

Last edited:

lock2k

Banned
DK baby! The reason? DK, the original, is an early childhood memory of mine plus I love monkeys! Also, DKC is charming as fuck.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Think I am gonna close the poll here so people can get a jump start this weekend. my original plan was to launch this at the end of September anyway so that way we would have the whole month of October.

But it's very clear SMW is going to win. I will update the OP here soon with the challenge.

Jeeves

DK baby! The reason? DK, the original, is an early childhood memory of mine plus I love monkeys! Also, DKC is charming as fuck.
Yeah my parents got me the SNES bundle with DKC, so that was my go-to game for years in my early childhood. Didn't even play DKC2 until I was a teenager, haha. Those pre-rendered graphics are some potent nostalgia for me!

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Game 1 has been decided! SUPER MARIO WORLD
SuperMarioWorld.jpg

Original Release Date: November 21st 1990 (Japan)

This game is available on the SNES Classic and Nintendo Online for subscribers on Switch. But there is also a good chance you have the original cart somewhere in your collection.

The Challenge: 96 Exits
96 Exits is considered the be the 100 percent completion of Super Mario World. Every single exit needs to be hit in order to achieve this. Don't forget to go back and hit those exits for the levels you clear with the secret exits! You can track your progress at the file selection screen. The number next to the save file is the number of exits you have cleared.
zwty0pg662e41.jpg

For players on PC/Emulator please refer to a post by user jshackles jshackles on how to get achievements on retro games. In the future I will look into this and post more about it once I have an opportunity.

Thanks to everyone who is participating! Let the SNES Club Begin!

Last edited:

Dev1lXYZ

Well, at least Super Mario World has some Halloween theme in it. Ghost Houses, Dry Bones, pumpkin headed enemies, etc. Good start for the SNES.

-Arcadia-

Banned
SMW is a wonderful choice, given the 35th anniversary right now as well.

Getting an opportunity to discuss this classic as if it were a brand new release, as was so much fun in the 3D All-Stars thread, is awesome. I’ll be starting today, on Switch with the SNES controller, which I’m finally getting to use for longer than ‘just trying it out’ territory.

Naked Lunch

A very cool thread.
I would go along but ive decided to start at the beginning of the Mario franchise - gotta play them in order. Finished NES Mario 1 yesterday, first time doing so in decades. Maybe I can catch up and get to SMW soon.

During COVID I researched how to hook all my classic consoles to HDTVs using RetroTINKs and OSSC - all of gaming's history at my finger tips. What a time to be alive.

T8SC

It would be Way Cool bordering on Mondo to have Super Mario World first. That game was Tubular and expanded the already Gnarly Super Mario Bros 3 really well. I think it would be Outrageous to not have it first. If we're supposed to be a cool & Funky gaming forum then we need to pick this game first. You know it makes sense, it'd be Awesome. It's a Groovy game.

jshackles

Awesome, I love Super Mario World. I can't imagine how many times I've beat this game, probably 25? 30? Obviously I played the hell out of this game when the SNES first released as it was the only game I had at the time. I suppose I'll try for the 96 exits clear, as it's been a while since I've done that. Some of those special levels are downright frustrating.

-Arcadia-

Banned
I have never done 96 levels clear. The game was impossible enough for me to finish back then — I didn’t even think about doing all the crazy extra stuff, lol.

I don’t know if I’ll get there, but I’d really like to use the opportunity to delve into this amazing game in a way I never have.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
It would be Way Cool bordering on Mondo to have Super Mario World first. That game was Tubular and expanded the already Gnarly Super Mario Bros 3 really well. I think it would be Outrageous to not have it first. If we're supposed to be a cool & Funky gaming forum then we need to pick this game first. You know it makes sense, it'd be Awesome. It's a Groovy game.

giphy.gif

JimiNutz

Banned
I will try and participate and think it's a great idea.
I only really started playing 2D Mario games last year and have so far played through SMB, SMB3, NSMB and NSMBU:D.

I'm pretty rubbish at 2D Mario but will give this a go. Unfortunately I have a really busy October planned and have also promised to play through Luigi's Mansion 3 in co-op so won't have much time but I'll do my best!

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I have never done 96 levels clear. The game was impossible enough for me to finish back then — I didn’t even think about doing all the crazy extra stuff, lol.

I don’t know if I’ll get there, but I’d really like to use the opportunity to delve into this amazing game in a way I never have.

Have you ever done the secret world?

Tesseract

Banned
Star Road? I broke in to one part of it by accident, lol. I somewhat have it coded in my memory as ‘Scary Place’, hahaha.

Starting right now. I kind of love the intro. ‘Yeah, Bowser took the princess again. There’s really no point in dressing this up. Let’s just *$@%ing play next-gen Mario.’
star road is a blast, blue yoshi is your best friend

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Star Road? I broke in to one part of it by accident, lol. I somewhat have it coded in my memory as ‘Scary Place’, hahaha.

Starting right now. I kind of love the intro. ‘Yeah, Bowser took the princess again. There’s really no point in dressing this up. Let’s just *$@%ing play next-gen Mario.’

There's a world inside star road. That's all I'll say. You'll need to get there to do 96 Exits.

jshackles

Started out my run for this challenge. Got through about 16 exits so far, and mopped up a few early game achievements I didn't have.

6c8hfq9.png

The "color by yoshi" achievements are fun, because you have to be riding the right color yoshi while hitting the switch. For this, I fast-tracked to star-road 3 then doubled back to hit the switch.

Even though I've played this a few times with Retroachievements, I still only have 25/67 unlocked now so I've got a ways to go. I doubt I'll unlock them all in this run, but I should be able to mop up quite a few more including the 96 exits achievement.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I’m quite new to Mario - got a Switch in May. Absolutely fell in love with SMW though sadly I’ve not yet beaten it, let alone any of the more exotic stuff, because I’m shit. That said I haven’t played since getting the pro controller so maybe I should play some in between swearing at Mario 64.

-Arcadia-

Banned
World 2 really goes nuts with the alternate routes. I just explored a little bit in a level, found the green block palace, remembered the invisible green blocks in the first level, keyed out to a water level, keyed out of that to a ghost level, beat that, and ended up up on a cliff in the final world. Lol.

Top Bottom