• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Club - May 2021: Super Metroid

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Just beat the castle in world 2 for the first time ever. Yeah I know, I suck. The platforming on these levels is amazing, absolutely perfect in every possible way. The graphics are lovely, giving such clarity so that every affordance is effortlessly obvious. It’s just such a good game.

sol_bad

I will try and participate and think it's a great idea.
I only really started playing 2D Mario games last year and have so far played through SMB, SMB3, NSMB and NSMBU:D.

I'm pretty rubbish at 2D Mario but will give this a go. Unfortunately I have a really busy October planned and have also promised to play through Luigi's Mansion 3 in co-op so won't have much time but I'll do my best!

I started playing the Mario games last year as well. I've finished SMB1, SMB2(USA), SMB2(JP), SMB3, Super Mario Land on Gameboy and I've finished SMW.

With SMW, I have just 2 retro achievements to go. Mini Mario vs the World 3 and 4. Basically you aren't allowed to collect any power ups at all.

BlackTron

Just beat the castle in world 2 for the first time ever. Yeah I know, I suck. The platforming on these levels is amazing, absolutely perfect in every possible way. The graphics are lovely, giving such clarity so that every affordance is effortlessly obvious. It’s just such a good game.

This is one of the games that made us all good at platforming games. Luckily, it's never too late to accept your destiny for Mario to get your ass in shape.

TLZ

Banned
I'm in of course, but

3QSWs66.png

Whoa that's super!!

Wish I could have this in my SNES Classic.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
There's a level on top of Vanilla Dome called Vanilla Secret 2. Easy way to get ~45 lives

Halfway through the stage, there is a pit full of red Spiny shells, and a grey P button in the blocks above the pit. Take the P button to the Left, until you reach the area just after the long gauntlet of Paratroopas. Hit the button and keep heading Left. The paratroopas turn into silver coins which quickly rack up to 3ups.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Playing this game since the 90s, this is the first time I've noticed the arms pushing out the bullet bills :messenger_hushed:

EDIT: Looking at it closer, they look like Mickey Mouse's!! Ah! Looks like Nintendo's been dodging Disney bullets since the 90s!

Same. I need to check if this is actually in the game, because I don’t remember that at all. I feel like I would remember creepy Mickey hands.

-Arcadia-

Banned
World 3, difficulty getting crazy, and the horrid realization that I’ve never truly beaten this game and always asked others to beat the really tough levels. Lol.

Done, though. I was kind of in love with this play session. When you’ve played so many mediocre Mario Maker levels in guise of World, you forget how magical 2D Mario can be with Nintendo in the driver’s seat.

And I really love the Switch SNES controller. The first time I’ve ever really put it through its paces, and it was awesome. There’s something really cool about such a small controller being wireless too. It just feels so svelte compared to the tanks we bring to every play session these days.

This game is just the pitch-perfect blend of amazing hardcore platforming and a game you can genuinely spend hours exploring.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
You guys weren't kidding about World 3 - it's really quite vicious! The interesting thing though is that it's fair, and generally always reliant on skill, and I'm not sure one can say that about New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe Penis for instance.

-Arcadia-

Banned
The level and world themes are really refreshing and creative too.

SMB3 gets a pass, as it did it first and was epic, but there are far too many Mario games (most of them called New Super Mario Bros.) that just run through the same themes on endless repeat, without something to twist them up.

Here, even after just one game of that, they really made an effort to provide something totally fresh, with its own identity.

Dinosaur Land and its layout is also by far the greatest map design where the shortcuts and interconnection both means something and also plays into the level design. Lots of other 2D Mario games (most in fact) don’t give that much care and detail to how the level feels while you’re playing in relation to the map itself. The shortcuts in the Twin Bridges area are fantastic.

The NSMB games are fine but nowhere near the quality of SMW in basically all aspects. Art style and music are most glaring, secrets a very close third.

You prob wouldn’t believe I was so dumb the first time fighting Bowser. I forgot you could throw items upward and completed the first half of the battle bouncing off one of the mechakoopas to boost myself high enough to toss the other one. I was thinking “wow what a crazy difficulty spike” until I realized I could just lob them up and make the final battle a cakewalk.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Finished area 2, all exits cleared. I feel like I'm doing this in my sleep since I've run through this game so many times. Although I will say that by the time I get to the mystery forest area I usually just skip that and world six and go straight to the end boss, so I'm kinda looking forward to playing through all of those levels again because it's been a while.

Unlocked a few more achievements!

8828BI4.png

rrIl3t3.png

sol_bad

You prob wouldn’t believe I was so dumb the first time fighting Bowser. I forgot you could throw items upward and completed the first half of the battle bouncing off one of the mechakoopas to boost myself high enough to toss the other one. I was thinking “wow what a crazy difficulty spike” until I realized I could just lob them up and make the final battle a cakewalk.

That's actually pretty i.pressive and a nice side challenge.
lol

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member

Wait - you can throw items?

GametimeUK

This was my favourite game from around 1993 up until 2011 when Dark Souls took the crown. Since then it has been in the 2nd spot. I've revisited it quite a bit here and there, but during this play-through the levels seem a bit shorter and the actual level design doesn't seem quite the same either. It will probably remain in the 2nd position, but if I had to honestly ask myself if it's the best 2D platformer over Tropical Freeze or my recently played Rayman Legends... I'd probably answer a bit differently with the nostalgia goggles off.

That being said I have all the exits on the first two worlds and I've touched down in Vanilla Dome. Having a blast as always with this game. Such classic gameplay and design.

When replaying this for the first time I played 1-1 and realised this game does nothing to reach you like the original Mario Bros which is interesting. I mean it throws a huge Banzai Bill at you immediately which would be a tricky jump to make at first and chances are you wouldn't really think about ducking either.

I'll update you guys with my thoughts as I progress more. Looking forward to Special World.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Really interested to see what next months's game is. There's no telling which one it will be

As for Super Mario World, what should I play it on if I have a Pro Controller, Gamecube Controllers (PowerA Wireless and Original) I tried with the Pro Controller and it felt kind of unnatural. I'll have to check to see if I can configure the buttons in an options menu or something for Switch because I remember the SNES controller felt perfect for this game

Played a few levels earlier, still such a wonderful game. I don't think those playing the game now for the first time could understand though, what it was like as a kid seeing this game. It was one of the most beautiful games you've ever seen at the time. I had an N64 around 1999 and I would always go to two local game shops called World of Games and Game Land and both advertised by having a picture of Mario and Yoshi from Super Mario World. For years, I wanted to get my hands on a SNES to play Super Mario World, Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, and The Legend of Zelda: A Link To the Past. Because even if I had not seen any gameplay, the box art for those games was so alluring that as a kid you knew you had to play, you wanted to play

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Really interested to see what next months's game is. There's no telling which one it will be

As for Super Mario World, what should I play it on if I have a Pro Controller, Gamecube Controllers (PowerA Wireless and Original) I tried with the Pro Controller and it felt kind of unnatural. I'll have to check to see if I can configure the buttons in an options menu or something for Switch because I remember the SNES controller felt perfect for this game

Played a few levels earlier, still such a wonderful game. I don't think those playing the game now for the first time could understand though, what it was like as a kid seeing this game. It was one of the most beautiful games you've ever seen at the time. I had an N64 around 1999 and I would always go to two local game shops called World of Games and Game Land and both advertised by having a picture of Mario and Yoshi from Super Mario World. For years, I wanted to get my hands on a SNES to play Super Mario World, Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, and The Legend of Zelda: A Link To the Past. Because even if I had not seen any gameplay, the box art for those games was so alluring that as a kid you knew you had to play, you wanted to play

Personally I'm finding the Pro controller is pretty awesome but if you want to go authentic you might want to look at the 8bitdo SN30...

Note that they have variants with thumbsticks to make them more multipurpose.

ExpandKong

Banned
Fired this up yesterday on the SNES Switch app, played up to the start of Vanilla Dome making sure to get all the exits. New games were few and far between for us growing up so I played the absolute shit out of Mario World (and the first DKC), that muscle memory is still intact it seems.

I've got one of the SNES Switch controllers Nintendo sells but I'm just playing it on my Lite for now, may play on the projector tonight with my daughter.

MaestroMike

Gold Member
I'm at Wendy's castle right now. Been playing this game for awhile now never have beaten it lol finding those secret keys to advance were pissing me off.

-Arcadia-

Banned

Personally I'm finding the Pro controller is pretty awesome but if you want to go authentic you might want to look at the 8bitdo SN30...

Note that they have variants with thumbsticks to make them more multipurpose.

You guys are aware that Nintendo sells a literal Super Nintendo controller for the Switch? : P

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
It's not a matter of being cryptic. It's annoying to play back through 1/2 or more of the stage just to reach the alternative exit. It's filler.

I dont think calling a secret exit filler because its in a longer level to begin with is fair. The levels themselves have been designed to be played normally without the need for a secret exit. The secrets are a bonus. Shortening the levels just so secrets don't take as long to find/get to would be a disservice to the level design.

IMO of course.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I dont think calling a secret exit filler because its in a longer level to begin with is fair. The levels themselves have been designed to be played normally without the need for a secret exit. The secrets are a bonus. Shortening the levels just so secrets don't take as long to find/get to would be a disservice to the level design.

IMO of course.
I hear ya. My statement was speculative anyway.

On a different topic, how far are folks so far? I'm at 74 on the save screen.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I hear ya. My statement was speculative anyway.

On a different topic, how far are folks so far? I'm at 74 on the save screen.

I actually havent started yet but I plan to this weekend. I can get through most of the game in a few hours though and I know all the secret locations so my play through on this one will be shorter. 4-5 hours at most.

Top Bottom