• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smart Delivery was once thought a joke and is now a proven superb feature

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
A bit offtopic, but is it just me or are a lot of these Series-upgraded games losing Quick Resume for some reason?
Yes definitely a sight which I am seeing too, not those native games, but those gen9aware games. Which sucks ass.

poodaddy

Smart Delivery is still a joke. PS5 save files being different in few games due to the new method of save files aren't as bloated as the old method = new one. In the long run it'll be much more beneficial. Also Xbox will enjoy bigger games and bigger save files = stressing the storage.
Season 1 Krusty The Klown GIF by The Simpsons

i played the wrong version of Spider-Man on my PS5 for like 15 mins before i figured out something was wrong.

I deleted the last gen version of Avengers. Downloaded the next gen version. Only for it to tell me i need to go into the PS4 version and transfer my save manually.

elliot5

Isn't the point of smart delivery that you download only what you need?
Yes. But I think for XSX users it's not like you can get away with not including lower resolution texture files and only download the 4K packs. I could be wrong but for X/S it will have the base package for XSS installed there if you download it on XSS whereas the XSX is the base package + the high resolution stuff. So, there could be some "bloat" for XSX users? Usually there's an option to shrink if you don't want the high quality assets like in Gears

Though I think it all comes down to how the developers package their games and we're still early in this whole process.

Last edited:
There is no need to defend the PS way of doing things but smart delivery is still not a big deal. Odds of people starting a game on a previous gen console and then finishing it on a curent gen console is slim.

i played the wrong version of Spider-Man on my PS5 for like 15 mins before i figured out something was wrong.

I deleted the last gen version of Avengers. Downloaded the next gen version. Only for it to tell me i need to go into the PS4 version and transfer my save manually.
Me but with FF7...I thought I was playing intergrade but was playing the base version before I was fully sure which version I was playing .

elliot5

There is no need to defend the PS way of doing things but smart delivery is still not a big deal. Odds of people starting a game on a previous gen console and then finishing it on a curent gen console is slim.
What about games you play through BC waiting to get next-gen editions? Like Metro Exodus enhanced edition? Wreckfest? A Plague Tale? Jedi Fallen Order, Avengers... all of those kinds of games people may be playing via Game Pass or otherwise and then suddenly a new update comes through for a native upgrade. Pretty common at least in my use case. It's just one of those "it just works" things that is nice and has benefitted me a little bit.

Yes. But I think for XSX users it's not like you can get away with not including lower resolution texture files and only download the 4K packs. I could be wrong but for X/S it will have the base package for XSS installed there if you download it on XSS whereas the XSX is the base package + the high resolution stuff. So, there could be some "bloat" for XSX users? Usually there's an option to shrink if you don't want the high quality assets like in Gears

Though I think it all comes down to how the developers package their games and we're still early in this whole process.
Multi version targets or packaging are nothing completely new, MacOS X (and before that NeXT step), web technologies offer ways to deliver only the necessary data (hi-dpi images) to the viewer. The problem is that Sony for some reason did not think it was that important, like many aspects of the PS5 OS it seems like a step backward, or at least a not so well thought out feature.

What can we do? Just complain all day and night about it, hopefully Sony will find some way to integrate better, but this is not like that was a show stopper.

Since getting my Series X - I have my Series in my gameroom and moved my One X to the living room.
We've been alternating playing the same Forza Horizon 3 and Halo MCC save file on both consoles without a hitch.
Great feature that works so well - you dont even have to think or worry about it.
Yeah, I move between Xbox Series X, Xbox One X and PC with the same game with zero issues all the time.

People who are like "i'M nOt GiViNg MiCrOsOfT cReDiT bEcAuSe ThIs Is ThE bArE mInImUm!111" have no idea, really. Sony didn't "drop the ball", they've proven that they have no idea what they're doing in this space.

Shmunter

Not sure if mentioned, but the Star Wars game on PS5 imports ps4 save. So there must be a way. Sony really should give a clear api to devs to leverage to smooth this out.

What about games you play through BC waiting to get next-gen editions? Like Metro Exodus enhanced edition? Wreckfest? A Plague Tale? Jedi Fallen Order, Avengers... all of those kinds of games people may be playing via Game Pass or otherwise and then suddenly a new update comes through for a native upgrade. Pretty common at least in my use case. It's just one of those "it just works" things that is nice and has benefitted me a little bit.
My post still applies - it’s only useful for those people who are playing a particular game at the particular point in time when the next gen version comes out.

sainraja

Correct.

Smart Delivery is just a name given to exactly the same system we had on Xbox One.
I used to play Modern Warfare all the time off an external SSD and just move it from One X to One S exactly how I do with my storage card on Series S and Series X.
We even had "shrinkable" games like Fallout 4 if you wanted to reduce the size on One S.
The only difference is that there are four versions not two.
It also applies to the updates automatically given to the next gen versions. Example, if you boot up FF7 you can boot up the regular version or intergrade. On xbox theres the one version..and itll know which console you are on without you having to make sure you are playing the right version.
Oh I know. I was only focusing on the key point of the discussion, which as I understood it, was how saves transfer from one system to another. That is just how the system was designed to handle save files and they have handled saves like that for a good while so I wouldn't call it a benefit of 'smart delivery'. As for which version of a game you are playing, this is where 'smart delivery' comes in. We're used to this on other devices too where your information/data moves with you or some mechanism that allows you to do that easily. Sony will need to catch up to that sooner or later.

Last edited:
Watch people defend the PS approach, I find this to be ridiculous in this day and age. Also I am not giving much props to MS, because sincerely I would expect this to be bare minimum. Nobody ever have to deal with bullshit like this with Steam.

Maybe outside of few games like STALKER, but that's issue of the game, not system itself.
Ok Ill bite.

Who really gives a fuck though? Its something you do once with whatever game you apprently didn’t complete on PS4, but want to complete on PS5.

Youre basically downloading a “one fits all” file on Xbox. On PS5 you get the most streamlined version. Ultimately people care more about file size than “smart delivery”.

sinnergy

Ok Ill bite.

Who really gives a fuck though? Its something you do once with whatever game you apprently didn’t complete on PS4, but want to complete on PS5.

Youre basically downloading a “one fits all” file on Xbox. On PS5 you get the most streamlined version. Ultimately people care more about file size than “smart delivery”.
Ultimately people care about convenience… so no.

M1chl

Ok Ill bite.

Maybe we are talking about 2 separate things, I believe. Filetype of save file does not have to be different for different version, right? Size concerns, is something I understand, however that's not the point of this thread. Save files are. And why do you have to download the latest version of past gen title, upload it to the cloud (presumably which is also payed), so you can load it up? Also it does not really work at all times, as far as I believe, some devs cannot be fucked with this file transfer and only gives you MP progress or some incomplete save file, which does not contain everything (on top of my head Metro Exodus and Doom Eternal).

Like I said try to propose this solution to some project manager or client and you would laughed at/fired.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Isn't the point of smart delivery that you download only what you need?

To be fair, it is one of its points. It is an overall smarter service because of the path of transition for games (and enhancements) and saves and downloading (also) the right version for your HW works.

The funny thing about the emoticon reply by Doncabesa Doncabesa CatLady CatLady and some others is that I was not sarcastic when I said it was the smarter service (sure I did not exaggerate and call the other service a dumpster fire impossible to figure out craphole 🤷‍♂️).

About the fact that XSX and XSS versions of the game are downloaded instead of just a single version based on your HW, so that games on XSeries consoles are bigger than the PS5 counterpart, is something non PS fans are stating, so not sure what the reaction is for :).
If that is correct, well I am sorry but the tradeoff on disk space for the external memory card shared across XSX and XSS would seem unoptimal at least (there should be ways to prevent it… or heck it would make me even less happy the XSS is around if that were not avoidable, which I think it can be).

M1chl

People who are like "i'M nOt GiViNg MiCrOsOfT cReDiT bEcAuSe ThIs Is ThE bArE mInImUm!111" have no idea, really.
And it's not? Imagine Tim Cook explaining that since you have new fancy chip (on same architecture) you would have to go through PS5 lengths of importing you data. He would be laughed of the stage. Gaming and game console manufacturers should not be betting on people's ignorance.

Also it reminds me that some reviewers was giving minus points for "system not feeling next-gen enough". I hope they like shit like that.

LMJ

Smart Delivery is still a joke. PS5 save files being different in few games due to the new method of save files aren't as bloated as the old method = new one. In the long run it'll be much more beneficial. Also Xbox will enjoy bigger games and bigger save files = stressing the storage.

billy madison idiot GIF

I fully expect Sony to incorporate a similar solution in the same manner they took inspiration for Trophies from the Gamerscore...

Both companies renovate each others ideas all the time, but this is CLEARLY a feature people like and want.

Smart Delivery and the way Xbox handles uploading and downloading saves based on when you log in, is totally brilliant and so well thought out. In stark contrast to PS5

Helghan

The way Xbox handles save games in general is just better. I was playing Carto on xCloud via iPhone, then started playing it on my XSX and the save game was also just there. No matter where you play, you'll have your save game with you.

Maybe we are talking about 2 separate things, I believe. Filetype of save file does not have to be different for different version, right? Size concerns, is something I understand, however that's not the point of this thread. Save files are. And why do you have to download the latest version of past gen title, upload it to the cloud (presumably which is also payed), so you can load it up? Also it does not really work at all times, as far as I believe, some devs cannot be fucked with this file transfer and only gives you MP progress or some incomplete save file, which does not contain everything (on top of my head Metro Exodus and Doom Eternal).

Like I said try to propose this solution to some project manager or client and you would laughed at/fired.
Smart Delivery isnt just save files though.
Just like Sony’s Data packaging solution doesnt just effect file size. Architecture from Xbox One-Xbox Series X is all similar. Hence only difference in files are texture packages if any at all. Control for the two xboxes are pretty much identical. But on the PS5 its basically half. Data is handled differently, therefore save compatibility problems. Xbox developers can basically keep the same save file system even if its unique to their game on how they handle it. On PS5 the file target names are completely different.

M1chl

Smart Delivery isnt just save files though.
Just like Sony’s Data packaging solution doesnt just effect file size. Architecture from Xbox One-Xbox Series X is all similar. Hence only difference in files are texture packages if any at all. Control for the two xboxes are pretty much identical. But on the PS5 its basically half. Data is handled differently, therefore save compatibility problems. Xbox developers can basically keep the same save file system even if its unique to their game on how they handle it. On PS5 the file target names are completely different.
No it's not but I believe that the saves are bigger gain than the other features. I know that Sony is using different mastering tools for this type of thing, however I struggle to see, why would it had to also use different containers for save files. Since the structure of the save file, is dictated by dev themselves.

I know what are you talking about, however this thread was about save files and that I don't see why they would not work outside of classic bureaucracy that one games SKU cannot see other game SKU data, which I believe it's the main cause for this.

For me, playing mainly across pc, Xbox one x and series x it is normal being able to continue my game from the the latest save regardless of the device Without need to manually sync anything. Feels like magic but it is not super sexy. Massive QOL improvement for sure.
Agreed. I regularly switch between my XSS and XSX and itsgreat to just turn on the console, select the game and just carry on.

Tomeru

Its smart because your save files move with you wherever you play.
XB1, XSX, PC.

No need to even think.
Just boot the game and your saves are loaded.

You referred to kretos as PS fans not once, but twice. How can one person be every person Are you stupid I already know the answer.

I guess you are smart though.

No need to even think. Just type some words and press post and its loaded.

Nyxir

Its just an extension to xbox great save management.
Its really great how i dont have to think or worry about my saves.
While on PlayStation its absolutely horrendous and it actually made me quite playing some games.

DJTHEGREY

Having a ps5 now (I love it so far) ... I really appreciate smart delivery a lot more now. I thought maybe people were exaggerating how frustrating transferring saves to PS5 is. On series x I didn't even have to think about it.

Chukhopops

While on PlayStation its absolutely horrendous and it actually made me quite playing some games.
Yeah it’s just an extension of the great cloud save system. Bought an SS to plug on a monitor and use when the TV is unavailable and the cloud save system just works - you start a Griftlands run on one, switch to the other and in one second your saves are synced.

It’s a small thing but it gives this premium, polished feeling.

People forget about the other side as well, if you are playing the Series X version of the game and then go play on Xbox One in a different room, your save is there also.

Try going back and playing the PS4 version after you have played it on PS5 and see if you’re new progress is there.
Is that a feature of smart delivery really? I didn't know that.

I have my series X and XB1X both connected to the same tv. I've been constantly going back and forth between the two. Both consoles on, and signed in. The last month, the XB1X has basically been my FM7 machine. It stays on, sitting at the title screen. When I want to play, I've simply been changing over.

I was surprised at first that it allowed me to be logged into both at the same time, simply using the tv to swap between the two.

One thing I'm shocked about Sony with is their cloud saves. It's seriously lagging behind xboxs.

It's terrible that they lock cloud saves behind ps+ and, and if you don't pay they delete it after 6 months.

No it's not but I believe that the saves are bigger gain than the other features. I know that Sony is using different mastering tools for this type of thing, however I struggle to see, why would it had to also use different containers for save files. Since the structure of the save file, is dictated by dev themselves.

I know what are you talking about, however this thread was about save files and that I don't see why they would not work outside of classic bureaucracy that one games SKU cannot see other game SKU data, which I believe it's the main cause for this.
Why would it be classic bureaucracy. If anything it points to Sony tying down the save system with the way files are packaged. Games taking advantage of Oodle Kraken are not playing nice with the PS4 versions.

I still have my original Persona 4 and Dragon Quest VIII saves from the PS2 in 2008 in my PC. Same for my Xenogears saves of about 2006. People will be fine.

Let’s not forget the PS5 sometimes downloads the PS4 version of games instead… Had this happen to Miles Morales and FIFA 21 and when both were downloading there was zero indication they were the PS4 versions.
It happened to me last week downloading Fallen order. Thankfully it did say it was the PS4 version. Actually my PS5 put both versions on queu, PS4 and PS5 version so I simply cancelled PS4's. I didn't even know there was a PS5 version.

Exactly, never mind on the PS you have to deactivate your old console and Activate your new console. On the Xbox, all saves are just linked to the gamer tag. So much simpler and better

Top Bottom