• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sifu |OT| Old Boy

PanzerAzel

I sure would love to see this fighting engine used in a game about gladitorial combat in the Colosseum.

Perhaps slowed down a tad, given a more one on one, weapons-based focus, with Bushido-blade like damage and armor integrity systems.

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
Seems like i'm pretty close to finishing the game now so i wonder how the progression is after the end. New game+? Just keep replaying? I still miss some collectables. And someone mentioned to "spare" bosses. How do i do that?

edit:

you have to run all levels again and spare all bosses - after the second phase when the prompt of the finisher appears - you wait till they come back fighting and beat down their posture to zero again. Use PARRY or a weapon, needs to be posture if they run out of health - it's a kill. This gives you a new prompt on the finisher to spare the boss.

Last edited:

Keihart

Are you a more offensive or defensive fighter?

I‘ve found this game puts truth to the old adage that the most effective defense is a good offense, but there are those enemies who stand firm (flaming dudes) to make me defend. I’m still a bit unsure as to what is most effective in doing so: tapping L1 while pressing down (which seems to cover 75%+ of the high attacks), or holding L1 down while keeping my finger on the stick. Again, the enemies seem a bit too quick for the latter approach, but it appears to be the way that everyone is recommending.

The bosses are far too quick for me to even hold hope out that I can reliably predict what they are going to do, it’s just a crapshoot of luck, and the majority of my deaths accumulate at the end. I can’t beat the first level with any age better than 34.…..nearly all from the Botanist.
there is no window for reaction on most nasty lows, so you have to learn the patterns, that design part kinda sucks in my opnion. That and the armored strings.

If you learn the patters you are gonna usually want to attempt to parry the regular moves and dodge the last hit that usually has flaming cheetos on it to use the dodge hit stun.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Really loving the back stance move. You have to get used to setting it up but anytime there's a lull in attacks you can enter that stance and just use power moves.

Bartski

Gold Member
For those of you farming permanent unlocks:

Just played through the game from start to finish and did some math... Since the multiplier only affects your score and XP is just fixed per enemy, here is the maximum amount of XP you can get in every level, taking the longest possible route with most possible enemies killed and the boss:

level 1 3240 XP
level 2 6680 XP (includes all optional fights, couple in the keycard room and route back from the pit to the audio engineer)
level 3 6745 XP
level 4 6250 XP
level 5 2925 XP

Every boss is 1500 XP. Except for Level 5 - if you beat the final boss - your get nothing and your XP goes down to zero at the HQ so this one makes the least sense to run.

Edit: this can vary slightly, as "supersayan" enemy numbers per level are random and you likely get more XP if you kill them after allowing them to transform.

Last edited:

Spaceman292

Banned
The game looks amazing and right up my alley but I think the price is a bit steep.

I understand there is replayability here but there isn't much content to the game. I feel like they have purposely held back half the game behind a DLC paywall.. Great game or not, I don't like their intentions, especially at this price. At least at this price have a day 1 physical release, not 3 months later. It's a pass for me until it goes on sale.
That's a ridiculous amount of assumptions you're making there.

threat-stewie.gif

the matrix dodging GIF

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Alright, gonna try and figure out boss 3. She seemed 10x harder than Sean. The shortcut to her is by far the most forgiving.

EDIT: nevermind, she dead.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Really the hard part of Sean was just learning how to weave and reaching him. The rest of the levels are so much easier its kind of absurd.

Concern

Well I made it to Sean and encountered first glitch. Got stuck on a red pillar and no matter how many times i died, I couldn't get off it.

Fuck Sean lol

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
I beat it!

Felt awesome to annihilate the final boss. Figured his combos out faster than i thought but it still wasn't perfect.

Wonderful game! And i still feel the urge to keep playing.

I’m trying this strategy against this shitty ass boss fight but it takes literal ages to do any damage to structure etc with this.

Con-Z-epT

I’m trying this strategy against this shitty ass boss fight but it takes literal ages to do any damage to structure etc with this.
Of course it takes ages because he isn't really engaging in the fight with all its mechanics.

Con-Z-epT

How? I just take damage against every attack?
If you hold L1 you will block but also increase your own structure. Try to push L1 just before getting hit. With this your structure will still increase but also hers. Try to stay away or avoid her attacks to bring down your own structure.

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
How? I just take damage against every attack?
You don't take any damage if you perfect parry her hit, if you miss a hit it's small enough making this a good trade for the structure damage on this attack. It's actually really easy just by spam taping L1 real fast when she comes at you, much easier than her other more complex moves. Keep an eye on your own structure and keep a distance to recover.

You don't take any damage if you perfect parry her hit, if you miss a hit it's small enough making this a good trade for the structure damage on this attack. It's actually really easy just by spam taping L1 real fast when she comes at you, much easier than her other more complex moves. Keep an eye on your own structure and keep a distance to recover.

Then I reach 2nd phase and I can’t evade anything or block or parry and get pummeled.

I think I actually hate this game and is ready to just fucking quit until the easy difficulty is out.

I just don’t click with the fucking combat, evasion mechanics etc in this shit ass fucking cunt of a game.

Everything in this game is hyper aggressive and react to a split nano second.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Then I reach 2nd phase and I can’t evade anything or block or parry and get pummeled.

I think I actually hate this game and is ready to just fucking quit until the easy difficulty is out.

I just don’t click with the fucking combat, evasion mechanics etc in this shit ass fucking cunt of a game.

2nd phase the main thing you do is catch her thrown blades and throw them back. So you need that upgrade. She has like 2 attacks I could counter or dodge and they were her dash and jump attacks.

Still learning her myself.

2nd phase the main thing you do is catch her thrown blades and throw them back. So you need that upgrade. She has like 2 attacks I could counter or dodge and they were her dash and jump attacks.

Still learning her myself.

I have that upgrade but like fucking everything in this game it’s hard as hell to time and react to.

Elios83

Finished it yesterday, now I'm doing the best ending sparing the bosses instead of killing them.
I've already spared the first 4 but I need to lower the age before the final stage.

Btw what a great game, I'm happy they're introducing more difficulty settings so that more people will be able to enjoy it.

saintjules

Talisman help

For whatever reason I am not getting the spare command to come up at all and have read tutorials on achieving it. I'm not getting the same result.

Trying against the 1st boss. Am I just to try and parry and/or block? Until the sun bar fills up for the second time for it to appear? I was also wondering if there was something else I was supposed to do after beating the game the first time to prompt it.

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

Talisman help

For whatever reason I am not getting the spare command to come up at all and have read tutorials on achieving it. I'm not getting the same result.

Trying against the 1st boss. Am I just to try and parry and/or block? Until the sun bar fills up for the second time for it to appear? I was also wondering if there was something else I was supposed to do after beating the game the first time to prompt it.
You need to increase the structure of the boss to maximum amount two times before his health depletes completely. Otherwise you won't be granted the spare option and kill him instead. It is important to focus on parrying and blocking his attacks more than avoiding them to increase his structure. Parrying is better than blocking. Blunt weapons are also better for increasing the structure.

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

I have that upgrade but like fucking everything in this game it’s hard as hell to time and react to.
Just don't expect to beat everything on your first try. Play passive the first time you meet a boss and really focus on the movement of each attack. It is not that hard to beat a boss but surely difficult to beat one and not lose a life. Be more patient and work on your reaction time.

DjMystix

It is definitely addicting and learning and mastering the game was a lot of fun. It really isn't that hard once you get better at dodging (not R2 dodge but L1+left stick) Forget about parry in your initial playthroughs except for some very specific moments.

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

And the final boss of the game totally decimated me while I got like 4 hits in. Nice lol.
There are not a lot of openings to get some hits in and the fight takes a bit longer than the other bosses. But there is a certain rhythm to the fight that makes it very appealing once you got it down. Keep at it! You managed 4 of them and Yang won't stand a chance against you.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

It is called "getting good". I would suggest you try it.

The hardest part of her fight is simply having the patience to slowly lower her health in the first phase. Phase 2 is incredibly simple. Avoids (L1+Back) and triple triangle combo. Knock her down when you build focus and repeat. Takes no more than a couple of minutes *and* you skip everything prior to her to reach her. Easiest area in the game aside from the first.

saintjules

You need increase the structure of the boss to maximum amount two times before his health depletes completely. Otherwise you won't be granted the spare option and kill him instead. It is important to focus on parrying and blocking his attacks more than avoiding them to increase his structure. Parrying is better than blocking. Blunt weapons are also better for increasing the structure.

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

For some reason, some sites said that the bar needed to be depleted before this could happen and some others didn't even mention that there needed to be some life left before doing it.

Con-Z-epT

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

For some reason, some sites said that the bar needed to be depleted before this could happen and some others didn't even mention that there needed to be some life left before doing it.
I had the exact same problem and was wondering what i'm doing wrong so i figured you might have the same. This presents a whole new challenge when you try to "defeat" a boss.

Con-Z-epT

So i spared the first boss and killed the second while trying to spare him. Does this matter for the overall progression if i just replay the second level and spare him at a fresh attempt?

Bartski Bartski

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
So i spared the first boss and killed the second while trying to spare him. Does this matter for the overall progression if i just replay the second level and spare him at a fresh attempt?

Bartski Bartski

So essentially if you spare the first boss, but kill the second all you need to do is go back and replay that second level to spare him. SParing all gives a particular ending. I would say keep going for now and come back later (if you are at a good age starting level 3).

Top Bottom