• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sifu |OT| Old Boy

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Can someone please tell me what combo to use against Yang? I have the evading down but none of my attacks do any damage against this guy.

what attacks are you using against him????????? Trying to finish this before Horizon

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
Can someone please tell me what combo to use against Yang? I have the evading down but none of my attacks do any damage against this guy.

what attacks are you using against him????????? Trying to finish this before Horizon
If he doesn't take any damage than that means he blocks your attacks. He doesn't have a lot of openings, so be sure you hit him at the right time. Any attack will do!

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
To spare bosses you need to break the boss's structure twice. So just before you kill a boss a prompt usually comes up (triangle and circle on PS). Don't click anything until the prompt goes away (the boss will recover some structure). When you break their structure for a second time, a dialogue prompt will come up (left on d-pad on PS). Hit that and you'll get the spare cutscene.

Be careful though. It's REALLY easy to kill them accidentally instead of sparing them, and it's one of my only gripes about this game. I've had to run back to bosses multiple times because I killed them automatically from a chained attack right before the kill prompt. Make sure you parry a lot so their structure fills up more than their health depletes. That way you won't accidentally kill them if you use a perma unlock combo.
This. It also helps to use light attacks

Hobbygaming

Thanks for the advice! I'm gonna try her again tonight and hopefully learn some of her moves properly

I wonder if I'll find her easier now that I've ended Yang. This game is so addictive
A lot of people neglect the focus upgrades for regain and extra focus bars but these combined with focus sweep helped me a lot on my 2nd run

Bartski

Gold Member
This. It also helps to use light attacks
This is also why investing in weapon power and durability and "saving" a fully durable weapon for late into phase 2 makes it so much easier, as weapons do way more structure damage than health and you won't accidentally kill the boss this way.

You just need to drop the weapon by holding L1 rather than pressing it to throw ( as I mentioned earlier in the thread the game doesn't tell you about this "trick") and pick it up at the very end of phase 1 to bring it into phase 2. Then drop it again, fight unarmed and pick up late when the boss has little structure left before breaking him for the second time. Reaching the spare posture break afterward shouldn't be a problem.

Edit:

this is important! :messenger_beaming:

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

This is also why investing in weapon power and durability and "saving" a fully durable weapon for late into phase 2 makes it so much easier, as weapons do way more structure damage than health and you won't accidentally kill the boss this way.

You just need to drop the weapon by holding L1 rather than pressing it to throw ( as I mentioned earlier in the thread the game doesn't tell you about this "trick") and pick it up at the very end of phase 1 to bring it into phase 2. Then drop it again, fight unarmed and pick up late when the boss has little structure left before breaking him for the second time. Reaching the spare posture break afterward shouldn't be a problem.

Edit:

this is important! :messenger_beaming:

Wow I never knew about this trick. This game has so many neat things to discover. Who would've guessed beforehand that you could spare bosses

Nico_D

Got to the end of the Club but didn't win the boss. It was my first time even pushing that far, I've been collecting a lot of EXP and unlocking permanent skills.

I really like how the enemies and bosses in particular first feel impossible. Then you keep playing and they just stop being difficult when you learn their patterns and get stronger and better. At the moment that chick with a stick before the Club boss took half of my life to get past. The last third went to the boss.

Still great game. I can guess that this could turn frustrating at some point but I don't know, we'll see. What made it a lttle easier was learning to remember to use focus abilities. At first I completely forgot about those.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
EYw6lGw.jpg

Nico_D

So annoying. I'm trying to finish the first level at 20 but I always get impatient and cocky and start making mistakes.

The only I don't like in the game is the randomness of attack of some of the enemies. It's 50/50 if you dodge to the right direction or get hit by a combo draining a lot of health.

Nico_D

As good as the game is, there are some questionable design decisions. Giving bosses (the museum boss...) what seems like superpowers is weird considering how grounded the game otherwise is.

Some cheap shots which just jump to wound you unless you know they are there. Like that one guy behind the corner in the museum or the mannequins.

In general, I think the bosses are the weakest part of the game. Learning and memorizing their patterns is not nearly as fun as it is to fight the mobs on the way there.

Con-Z-epT

In general, I think the bosses are the weakest part of the game. Learning and memorizing their patterns is not nearly as fun as it is to fight the mobs on the way there.
I think they are a pretty integral part of each level. They give a nice crescendo and further solidify the overall escalation of each level.

Fbh

Anyone still playing this?
Finally had the time to start it and I really enjoyed what I played so far. Only had time for a couple of runs but the combat seems really nice and it captures that martial arts action movie vibe like no other game I've played.

Couldn't get past the first boss under 35 years yet, but I'm still getting used to the evade and defense timing. Did you guys mostly stick with the L1 (or r1?) defense stance or is it also recommended to use the R2 evade a lot?.
Also any skills you recommend unlocking first? Only one I got permanently so far is the one which allows you to kick objects at enemies which seemed pretty useful and can instantly take down lesser enemies (in the first 2 areas at least).

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Finally had the time to start it and I really enjoyed what I played so far. Only had time for a couple of runs but the combat seems really nice and it captures that martial arts action movie vibe like no other game I've played.

Couldn't get past the first boss under 35 years yet, but I'm still getting used to the evade and defense timing. Did you guys mostly stick with the L1 (or r1?) defense stance or is it also recommended to use the R2 evade a lot?.
Also any skills you recommend unlocking first? Only one I got permanently so far is the one which allows you to kick objects at enemies which seemed pretty useful and can instantly take down lesser enemies (in the first 2 areas at least).
I use both. It's not really needed to use R2 except in just a handful of moves. But I love using it constantly, and you can cancel any move with R2. Depending on how much you want to "overplay" for style points basically. I'm constantly throwing out that forward, forward kick move and dodge cancelling it back to throw off the attack timing of enemies. You can bait them into some serious whiff punishes with the backfist, or even the backstance spin hook kick. But technically none of that is really needed, it's just fun.

I may upload a video sometime because I don't really see anyone play like that. But there's no real downside to using R2. L1 is required for almost everything though since it covers block, parry, or holding it to dodge.

Con-Z-epT

I like to avoid (L1) or parry (R1) much more than to dodge (R2). Feels more reliable to me.

I unlocked some of the environmental skills first. I can recommend the sweep counter! Otherwise just check them out and if you like something try to unlock it.

Last edited:

Fbh

I use both. It's not really needed to use R2 except in just a handful of moves. But I love using it constantly, and you can cancel any move with R2. Depending on how much you want to "overplay" for style points basically. I'm constantly throwing out that forward, forward kick move and dodge cancelling it back to throw off the attack timing of enemies. You can bait them into some serious whiff punishes with the backfist, or even the backstance spin hook kick. But technically none of that is really needed, it's just fun.

I may upload a video sometime because I don't really see anyone play like that. But there's no real downside to using R2. L1 is required for almost everything though since it covers block, parry, or holding it to dodge.
I like to avoid (L1) or parry (R1) much more than to dodge (R2). Feels more reliable to me.

I unlocked some of the environmental skills first. I can recommend the sweep counter! Otherwise just check them out and if you like something try to unlock it.

Thx for the advice.

Beat the second boss yesterday on my first try at 45.
3rd level is amazing, I reached the boss but got my ass handed to me by her,.

Nico_D

Got to Yang at 25 yo.

Gotta say, I think the boss is just bad design - and by that I mean it's incredibly boring. I can waltz through the first phase but as the second phase - like most of the previous bosses - just more of the same, it bores me. But it just goes on and on and the window is so small, it's just waiting. I still think the bosses are the weakest link of the game, they can all be beat the exact same way. They are just faster and have more health.

tommib

Nice patch. I have to say I stopped at level 4 because my character was too old and I didn't have it in me to repeat the levels for lower ages. Sorry, brothers. I'll be trying this with the lower difficulty modes. I love hard games but it was hard to calibrate to Sifu for some reason.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Hard mode is great, but it's definitely kicking my ass.

Got stage 1 clear down to 26. Going to keep going until I get it to 20, which could be a long time from now. Enemies do not wait for the other person to stop attacking before attacking. If you're surrounded and get hit, they're all going to hit you and you're toast. Sometimes so many people are swinging that you are forced to throw in parries to get any opening since dodging wont stop them.

The training mode is very helpful too. Been getting worked on Faraj, so you can just load him up and play against him on an infinite loop. Played him for about 10 minutes straight in training and still can't 100% anticipate his unblockables.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
This update is BRUTAL.

Trying to get the new Enforcer Armor. Have to beat level 1 at 40 or less. Enemies more aggressive and do double damage and all damage is permanent with no healing. Playing on Master. Feels like fighting for sheer survival. Every jab you get hit with is large damage.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
My copy of the game is arriving today. Thankfully they had the good foresight to patch in an Easy difficulty option to the game.

Will update here with impressions and such later. Looking forward !

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
How old can you get before you get a permanent game over ?

I've beaten the first 2 missions and aged to 27.

Top Bottom