• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sifu |OT| Old Boy

Bartski

Gold Member
So i spared the first boss and killed the second while trying to spare him. Does this matter for the overall progression if i just replay the second level and spare him at a fresh attempt?

Bartski Bartski
I think you need all talismans when sparing the final boss to get the true ending? No idea I did them one by one. So you might wanna re-do level 2 before 5. Not sure.

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
So essentially if you spare the first boss, but kill the second all you need to do is go back and replay that second level to spare him. SParing all gives a particular ending. I would say keep going for now and come back later (if you are at a good age starting level 3).
I think you need all talismans when sparing the final boss to get the true ending? No idea I did them one by one
So as long as i spared all 4 bosses, regardless of the order, before fighting and sparing Yang i should be good?

Keihart

I really dislike the pattern based part of the combat that comes in full effect on bosses, like seriously, creating some mechanics to break guard can still keep the game hard, just look at God Hand for fucks sake.
The only way of being aggressive is landing every parry or dodge, basically, defending, the structure mechanic sucks balls. It wouldn't even be that bad if the mechanics weren't that one sided, but you have what? 2 armor moves? while every string on enemies has armor?

It feels so random to land a sweep for example, the only way you can land clean hits is stunning enemies, which means usually parrying or dodging. It doesn't feel like you read shit, you memorize the long strings and then cuck the enemies with parries or dodges, rendering your whole movelist worthless untill the enemy is stunned. The exception being the armor punch i guess.

Anyway, fighting the small chumps feels good enough tho, you can be more expresive in those situations, but i really whish it had more Jackie Chan than just vaulting and throwing shit.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
So as long as i spared all 4 bosses, regardless of the order, before fighting and sparing Yang i should be good?

Well, no. You have to do them in order. So say you spared 3 and 4, but you still killed 2, you need to go back and spare 2 and then redo 3 and 4 as going back to 2 will delete your choice with 3 and 4.

HOwever, going back after getting that far into the game, it should be trivial to spare at that point. Like I struggled with Sean at first, but now I can routinely beat his stage in its entirety with 2-3 deaths. Still need to work on sparing him though. He is the most difficult to spare IMO.

Bartski

Gold Member
there is this cool moment you see how many talismans you have before entering the fight with Yang so I think it matters to have them all beforehand

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Just fought Yang the final boss for the 1st time, he folded me like a lawn chair

Fight Beat Up GIF

JusticeForAll

Gold Member
Bought this game to kill some time before Horizon and Elden Ring release. I thought I would be finished with it fast enough, but yeah, I will not be. I now manage to easily clear the first stage at age 21, but the second one is much harder. The Bo staff lady, the two fighters and the boss one after the other kick my ass. I did manage to clear it, but at age 66 or so.

I loved the "old boy"-set piece in the first level. Anything more like it up ahead? I only played the first two levels.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Well I've defeated my father's killer and I'm about to start another playthrough

Sifu might be my GOTY even with it only being February, that's how much I enjoy this game but we'll see because I pre-ordered Horizon Forbidden West

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Bought this game to kill some time before Horizon and Elden Ring release. I thought I would be finished with it fast enough, but yeah, I will not be. I now manage to easily clear the first stage at age 21, but the second one is much harder. The Bo staff lady, the two fighters and the boss one after the other kick my ass. I did manage to clear it, but at age 66 or so.

I loved the "old boy"-set piece in the first level. Anything more like it up ahead? I only played the first two levels.
Yup. Level 3 is a damn masterpiece. Set pieces are awesome and the art direction is amazing

Finally beat the Club boss for the first time. But I was in my 70s :messenger_grinning_sweat:

At least now I have taught myself the timing for dodging and attacking that will beat him.

Gonna keep pressing on. The game is finally starting to feel beatable now!

Punished Miku

Gold Member

Little trick on the bow staff lady. Grab a brick from the previous room, to the left of the door. Walk in and toss it on her, then run up and trip her and she drops her weapon.

luffie

Alright, i think i finally break the code to the final boss.

Basically play well enough for the 1st 4 stages (lmao duh) so that you can get the "Parry Structure" bonus on the statue 3x.

Then parry the shit out of Yang, with the exception of some obvious attacks like "if he side steps (your)right then he obviously will do 2 unblockable elbows at the end of the combo", then you avoid that.

But if he side steps LEFT, this is your treat, he will do Raining Strikes and you should spam parry & parry the shit out of it. Then beat him till he blocks and you parry again!

With the exception of double elbows, he might do a frontal unblockable or a slide unblockable, which you can just parry.

See his parry meter max out in no time!

Other things to note is, if he switches your direction, avoid (spam) the shit out of it. You can't parry the incoming attacks.

Same thing with his phase 2, except he is slightly faster, but his Raining Strikes is his death sentence.

Of course, avoid his triple unblockables, but that shit is probably easy. (also good chance to reduce your structure)

His parry meter will also max out so fast that you don't have to worry about damaging him, it will never catch up to his structure.

Bartski

Gold Member
I just figured out that if you use the focus eye strike and than follow up with loaded triangle attack while holding a knife you can basically kill pretty strong enemies with just this combination. This is super OP.

I've been testing this out and you can one-shot all "minibosses" this way on levels 3-5 with a knife, especially handy on the ninja girls in caves in 4. The knife breaks but it's totally worth it.

I think I'm done with the game right now, 60 hours on the clock, all skills perma unlocked and a platinum trophy.

I will be back on the patch if there really is a new hard mode, and plan to dive deep into this:

I also totally see them doing a multiplayer DLC. Absolver had both PvP and PvE and such mode should be implementable here without major changes to combat mechanics, as opposed to something like Ghost of Tsushima Legends where in PvP everyone would end up parrying each other forever.

Mad props to SLOCLAP for an AMAZING game, 9.5/10 in my book. If it came out last year it would land my 2nd place GOTY after Returnal.

Con-Z-epT

...especially handy on the ninja girls in caves in 4.
That's exactly where i figured this out and it saved me enough ages to get through the level.

Hats of for the platinum. I'm on my way but i have a hard time to find time to play. And then we are so close to all the other games. But i'll try. :messenger_sunglasses:

Bartski

Gold Member
Doesn't matter when you get good at the game, but that shaolin couple before Sean was destroying me for way too long so that's a smart balancing move.

Also, no more crotch punch knife cheese on Kuroki.

ZZjxGc1.jpg
0nRBErX.jpg

v9d2rgI.jpg

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Doesn't matter when you get good at the game, but that shaolin couple before Sean was destroying me for way too long so that's a smart balancing move.

Also, no more crotch punch knife cheese on Kuroki.

ZZjxGc1.jpg
0nRBErX.jpg

v9d2rgI.jpg
The Sean issue was in phase 2. Im basically like almost at beating that whole level without dying. But in phase 2 he gets into this pissy attack mode where he basically just continually attacks and disengages nonstop without real openings. It does feel odd honestly. Sounds like is slightly adjusted which is fine. His late attack pattern seemed almost glitched.

The two disciples before him are truly easy once you get it down. They literally have two combos and that's it. Block and dodge the last hit and punish. Do 1 punch then throw them into a table and they fall down for more hits. They give me zero trouble before this patch.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
hope they didnt make Sean too much easier. he was hard as fuck, but it hardened me for the rest of the game. im kicking ass now because of Sean.

THANK YOU SEAN

edit: on the final boss now at 58, basically have to beat him while dying 2-3 times. gonna be hard as hell. none of my attacks deal any damage to him essentially.

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
The two disciples before him are truly easy once you get it down. They literally have two combos and that's it. Block and dodge the last hit and punish. Do 1 punch then throw them into a table and they fall down for more hits. They give me zero trouble before this patch.
yeah me too cause at one point I just got there to practice, left the guy alive on purpose to learn dodging all his combos. There is a tricky delayed timing on their last unblockable that I couldn't get a hang of but once I did it's no trouble.

luffie

hope they didnt make Sean too much easier. he was hard as fuck, but it hardened me for the rest of the game. im kicking ass now because of Sean.

THANK YOU SEAN

edit: on the final boss now at 58, basically have to beat him while dying 2-3 times. gonna be hard as hell. none of my attacks deal any damage to him essentially.
Don't rely on damaging him, rely on parrying him. When he side steps to your left he will do Raining Strikes, spam parry. Attack back till he parry you, and prepare to parry his counters.

Just by parrying, and some counters, you will max his structure in no time, while his health is still 80%.

Avoid only the obvious attacks like his swipe (he'll jump backwards), and his double elbow. Parry the rest.

Don't rely on damaging him, rely on parrying him. When he side steps to your left he will do Raining Strikes, spam parry. Attack back till he parry you, and prepare to parry his counters.

Just by parrying, and some counters, you will max his structure in no time, while his health is still 80%.

Avoid only the obvious attacks like his swipe (he'll jump backwards), and his double elbow. Parry the rest.
Beat the last boss and I agree, parrying him was key for me as well

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Beat Sean with no deaths. He's more properly balanced now. Rages later. He's open if you read his trip correctly. Seems fair for level 2.

Elios83

Theyre going to add an even harder difficulty. Letting people have a chance to get past level 2 is just better design honestly

Absolutely, they need more people to play this game and with a more balanced difficulty the game would have been better reviewed as well.
Stage 2 was a steep difficulty moment. Without mastering parrying and evade it was impossible to win and probably it was too much to ask at stage 2.
Although after everything you were forced to learn during stage 2 basically the next stages were kinda easy....kinda :messenger_tears_of_joy:

isoRhythm

Banned
I don't know how I'll ever finish this game... I have major OCD and I can't continue without getting a no-death run in the club... I seem to mess up something every time.

Rac3r

What the fuck are you supposed to go on 3rd boss? Just evade here too? But I get hit on every attack because I can’t read those chained blade attacks. Fucking crap game.

With a weapon (and preferably the weapon durability shrine skill) you can just guard while she does her spinning chain thing without taking damage. After she stops attacking you can punish her with the bat. Once the bat breaks then just keep distance and attack her once her combo is over (it'll take a while to chip away at her damage). If you're impatient you can try to avoid some of her attacks to build up focus, then sweep her and ground punch.

Her structure will break before you get her to 0% health so don't get discouraged.

Rac3r

Seems like i'm pretty close to finishing the game now so i wonder how the progression is after the end. New game+? Just keep replaying? I still miss some collectables. And someone mentioned to "spare" bosses. How do i do that?

To spare bosses you need to break the boss's structure twice. So just before you kill a boss a prompt usually comes up (triangle and circle on PS). Don't click anything until the prompt goes away (the boss will recover some structure). When you break their structure for a second time, a dialogue prompt will come up (left on d-pad on PS). Hit that and you'll get the spare cutscene.

Be careful though. It's REALLY easy to kill them accidentally instead of sparing them, and it's one of my only gripes about this game. I've had to run back to bosses multiple times because I killed them automatically from a chained attack right before the kill prompt. Make sure you parry a lot so their structure fills up more than their health depletes. That way you won't accidentally kill them if you use a perma unlock combo.

Nico_D

Bought the game last night. Just got past the fat grabby guy after trying a couple time so very early days. Enjoying it, there's not nearly enough martial art games. I hope this doesn't turn too depetitive while farming permanent unlocks.

SSfox

Watched a bit and it looks kinda awesome, but gotta wait cause I'm clearing myself before Elden Ring. So may games in such short time, Sifu, Cyberpunk, and Horizon 2!!

Con-Z-epT

To spare bosses you need to break the boss's structure twice. So just before you kill a boss a prompt usually comes up (triangle and circle on PS). Don't click anything until the prompt goes away (the boss will recover some structure). When you break their structure for a second time, a dialogue prompt will come up (left on d-pad on PS). Hit that and you'll get the spare cutscene.

Be careful though. It's REALLY easy to kill them accidentally instead of sparing them, and it's one of my only gripes about this game. I've had to run back to bosses multiple times because I killed them automatically from a chained attack right before the kill prompt. Make sure you parry a lot so their structure fills up more than their health depletes. That way you won't accidentally kill them if you use a perma unlock combo.
I've figured it out since my post but thanks nonetheless!

Punished Miku

Gold Member
What's your strat for beating the boss in stage 3? Her first stage is so annoying
She has many openings after combos. I just played it over and over until I could start reading the combos. It feels impossible until it clicked for me.

I started by always punishing her large overhead slam. Anytime she's winding up that thing I run up close because that one is easy to dodge.

Next thing is learning to dodge her up down swinging combos which is the hardest part.

Rarely she will do that rapid fire combo. Thats the only thing I parry by spamming L1.

Finally she has a short range two hit combo. I block high but lift my leg on the 2nd hit.

Any openings I punish with a couple quick hits and end with a trip. I also start the fight with a bat.

Just try to pick a few moves to read. Start at the large overhead slam. Slowly gain confidence in the others.

She has many openings after combos. I just played it over and over until I could start reading the combos. It feels impossible until it clicked for me.

I started by always punishing her large overhead slam. Anytime she's winding up that thing I run up close because that one is easy to dodge.

Next thing is learning to dodge her up down swinging combos which is the hardest part.

Rarely she will do that rapid fire combo. Thats the only thing I parry by spamming L1.

Finally she has a short range two hit combo. I block high but lift my leg on the 2nd hit.

Any openings I punish with a couple quick hits and end with a trip. I also start the fight with a bat.

Just try to pick a few moves to read. Start at the large overhead slam. Slowly gain confidence in the others.
Thanks for the advice! I'm gonna try her again tonight and hopefully learn some of her moves properly

I wonder if I'll find her easier now that I've ended Yang. This game is so addictive

Top Bottom