• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Shazam!' director David Sandberg promising DC's most lighthearted movie

This is how it will happen with every DCEU movie going forward; I'm expecting every future DC director to try to one-up the previous by promising FUN, FUN, FUN and COLORFUL ADVENTURES.

You should read what Matt Reeves has to say about his Batman movie.

Golden Age / Jeff Smith reboot inspired Shazam! please :)

ShazamTheMonsterSocietyofEvil1bApril2007.jpg

Shaz4b.jpg

2960777-4.jpg.jpg

shazam_themonstersocietyofevil02_44.jpg

Monsterpanel.jpg

Shazam! should be fun!

Gnomepowered

Neo Member
Nooooo :/

I guess it fits with the conceit of the character, I guess

I love that I can come into any thread and if Cipher is posting, I know before I read it that I will almost definitely have an opinion diametrically opposed to theirs. I don't mean that in a mean-spirited way, just that I look forward to seeing that avatar so I know I will read something that will make me roll my eyes, it is just so consistent, and part of what makes Gaf fun.

On topic, I can't imagine a Shazam movie with the tone of any of the DC movies to date feeling character appropriate. Just hope the superpower special effects are a little more convincing than Superman or Wonder Woman were to me. And hopefully a color palette where you can tell his costume is red, instead of muddy brown. If Supes is the all American boyscout all grown up, Captain Marvel is that boyscout as a kid, riding around in Superman's body. The movie should reflect the optimism and idealism that comes with being a kid.

This is how it will happen with every DCEU movie going forward; I'm expecting every future DC director to try to one-up the previous by promising FUN, FUN, FUN and COLORFUL ADVENTURES.

The Batman win not be FUN, FUN, FUN and COLORFUL ADVENTURES.

Heroes have different stories, which require different tones.

Ninjimbo

No Cena please. He's awful.

I don't know anything about Shazam other than I've read in Kingdom Come. I want to see a fight like that or that shit that happened in Flashpoint with the Shazam kids. That'd be pretty cool. None of this is lighthearted tho haha.

Gnomepowered

Neo Member
lol, why the fuck would anyone want a dour, gritty Shazam film

What DC properties would be less suited to the BvS/MoS tone? Sugar and Spike? Inferior Five? 'Mazing Man? For chrissakes.

I was thinking about this, and came up with Ambush Bug, Plastic Man, and Justice League International as my prime bad choices.

A few years back we were showing films at the same film festivals. And now he's directing Shazam... and I'm writing comments on GAF. Weird.

RobbieNick

Announce John Cena as the lead already goddammit.

I am actually totally cool with that. Shazam is a little kid in the body of basically Superman. It has a worm as a mad scientist and a talking tiger. This should be a kids focused movie and kids love John Cena. I can see John Cena playing a kid in a superhero's body.

Shazam seems so outdated, generic and cornball. The costume, the character, and especially the word Shazam. Might as well be called abracadabra.

Pilgrimzero

For DC films "more light hearted" means only 100 or less innocent people will die directly from the actions of the hero.

Slayven

LOL we live in the world where DC has to assure people that a kid's character will be ok for kids

So Billy won't be drinking the piss of IBAC?

KillLaCam

Banned
Nooooooooooo this is the 1 super hero movie I wanted to see.

Thus better not mean Black Adam will be lame.

thread title is misleading, tbh.

thought he was still playing Black Adam, just in a different movie, since Shazam! won't have Black Adam
Oh OK I'm saved then. I'm not interested in Shazam, just Black Adam

KillLaCam

Banned
You're one of those people that demands an r-rated Carnage movie, aren't you...
Why are ppl jumping to R-Rated Lol? I never said that. Man of Steel and the Avengers are both Pg-13 but have completely different tones. (man of steel mostly sucks though, but that's not the point)
Even spiderman Homecoming is PG 13. I don't need an "adult " movie haha

DocSeuss

Geoff Johns already laidout the blueprint for a great Shazam movie with Curse of Shazam. Just follow that and we're good to go.

Geoff Johns should literally never be allowed to touch anything Shazam related. Ever.

Here's how Geoff Johns books work: superheroes are happy, then bad stuff happens, people get fridged, usually (often) women. Any progress in the story is reset back to Johns' childhood era silver age nonsense, but now with his grittier overtones. People are killed for shock value, heroes fight for no reason other than melodrama, and, again, women tend to get it the worst. Johns is one of the worst things to ever happen to DC, and yeah, he's part of the reason that DC's been so Dark.

Then get on casting your Captain Marvel / Shazam now. I'm not positive this film's getting made, unless you know, actually have a lead.

Geoff Johns should literally never be allowed to touch anything Shazam related. Ever.

Agree, but at least he actually's a fan of the character, which is more then can be said for most of the writers who have touched the characters in the past-decade.

Ross61

Then get on casting your Captain Marvel / Shazam now. I'm not positive this film's getting made, unless you know, actually have a lead.

Agree, but at least he actually's a fan of the character, which is more then can be said for most of the writers who have touched the characters in the past-decade.
How do you know somebody hasn't already been cast?

Here's how Geoff Johns books work: superheroes are happy, then bad stuff happens, people get fridged, usually (often) women. Any progress in the story is reset back to Johns' childhood era silver age nonsense, but now with his grittier overtones. People are killed for shock value, heroes fight for no reason other than melodrama, and, again, women tend to get it the worst. Johns is one of the worst things to ever happen to DC, and yeah, he's part of the reason that DC's been so Dark.
🤔

Bronx-Man

Banned

Have you read Curse of Shazam? It's like the exact opposite of all that.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
This is the one time where I'd be okay with weird fan casting of a "TV actor." I remember when the rumor mill was spinning up Alan Ritchson for the lead. I actually really liked that. He did a good job playing a childish meathead on Blue Mountain State, which is kinda perfect for Shazam if they're playing the character up. He's also the mocap and voice of Raph in those new Ninja Turtle movies.

MV5BMjA3NTkzOTU0Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMTQzMDY2MDE@._V1_UY317_CR13,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

He's very TV, but I'd dig it.

Loona

Has DC completely abandoned the name "Captain Marvel" altogether?

No, it's still used in DC multiverse stories like Thunderworld and Convergence - it just can't make it to the covers.

Is Geoff Johns writing this? If he is..........

M9GbkCo.jpg

The Billy we deserve.

No, that's the Billy Johns distorted to give his story a twisted sense of character progression, but he missed the point.

The whole point of Billy getting the powers is that he sets out to be the best person he can be and do the right thing even if he's powerless and outmatched, be it against common thugs bigger than him, or a guy he just saw beating freakin' Superman - so he's found to be deserving of getting the power to act on his nature, literally being given a body worthy of his spirit.

The Captain America classic story and especially movie pulled this off just fine with drugs - they just have to make sure the same principle applies through the magical side of the DC universe.

I kinda want Superman to have a small part in this. Kinda like Iron Man in the newest Spider-man movie.

I can't be the only one tired of seeing Superman shoved into any attempt to actually use Captain Marvel... and the current movie version wouldn't really add all that much to a story with the tone they say they want to go for, especially considering the recent Superman's track record as far as public deeds and public perception in that universe goes...

Might as well go with Mr Myxlplyx instead as an antagonist...

The impression I keep getting is that Black Adam is the one Johns likes, so he ends up having to address young Batson's role in that character's history.

With that in mind, Rock and Black Adam's absence from a Captain Marvel movie might be the best possible thing to happen to it, since it leaves things open for other kinds of antagonists and tones.

a916

I can't tell if the Cena people are for real or not... on one hand I want an established actor... on the other hand Cena cheesing it up would be perfect lol. Save Hammer for Lantern or the new Batman (if they decide to)

Yeah, I'm sure it has nothing to do with the character suiting himself to this....

LOL we live in the world where DC has to assure people that a kid's character will be ok for kids

So Billy won't be drinking the piss of IBAC?

I guess if that's how you want to read into some generic comments about the movie...

SO HYPED for this.

Would love to see Superman take a similar role Iron Man had in Spiderman.

Fleshing out and adapting Superman/Shazam the return of black adam! would have been great. We'd have a villain Shazam would need help with and one Superman could not take alone (weak to magic). Seeing the rock take on Superman would be cool.

Top Bottom