• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: 'Shazam' eyeing Cena or Sasse, Billy Batson character bio revealed

I think they already reverted the wizard back to his classic look in Dark Days Or maybe he was just the wizard of his time? The darkseid one shot made it sound like Wizard was kind of a fluid title for whoever was on the council.

That's kinda one of the uncertainties of the event, and why reverting to the Captain Marvel title for a film might not be entirely off brand. The tricky thing is that compared to other heroes, the alterations to Billy's history, lore, and status quo are actually pretty significant and blending the two together ala what they've done with Superman would not exactly be easy (and that's already a mess for casual readers to understand).

FoneBone

Those are two very different choices. Sasse was amazing on Galavant, as the dozen or so other people who watched it will attest, and I'd be happy to see him get a big film role.

I bet it more they just copy and pasted what some intern googled more then anything.

Agreed. I can't see them actually using the Captain Marvel name.

Wonder who might be the villain. Adam sounds like he'll not be the main villain or show up much(makes sense since he's getting his own movie) so maybe they'll do Mr. Mind?
57756jascz.jpg

Shaanyboi

Banned
I'm okay with this....

This movie has been talked about for so long though that I'm yet to be convinced it's actually going to happen

Slayven

Wonder who might be the villain. Adam sounds like he'll not be the main villain or show up much(makes sense since he's getting his own movie) so maybe they'll do Mr. Mind?

My money would be Mr.Mind with Dr.Sivana involved. But they could have fun with any of those really.

Isn't The Rock out of this movie?

Supposedly the plan is that he's getting his own film - possibly even before Shazam - which is just... I want to say I'm bewildered by it, but it's honestly kinda tame vs the other recent proposals for what DC is looking into in terms of villain pictures.

Edit:
My money would be Mr.Mind with Dr.Sivana involved. But they could have fun with any of those really.

Captain Nazi would be stunningly relevant.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
They should rename him KAYFABE for the movie and each letter is a different wrestler who gives him power.

Yeah Black Adam was deconfirmed (which is so odd because Rock was like contracted for a movie role in 2014... guessing Johns likes the character enough that he's really pushing for that solo film), which in a way makes me happy, because I always felt like Black Adam has overshadowed Billy like Doom does the fantastic four.

I think we'll get a twofer. Sivana &
Captain Nazi
. Ibac seems far more likely as the muscle though. Mr. Mind controlling a few different super heroes (Superman?) would be cool too.

I always liked Sabbac too, but I doubt they use him.

That's kinda one of the uncertainties of the event, and why reverting to the Captain Marvel title for a film might not be entirely off brand. The tricky thing is that compared to other heroes, the alterations to Billy's history, lore, and status quo are actually pretty significant and blending the two together ala what they've done with Superman would not exactly be easy (and that's already a mess for casual readers to understand).

Pantheon probably still in given WW's backstory, I don't think his classic costume with the short cape is likely, I can't think of the last time that's been his appearance in media by default. Aesthetically I expect him to be like new 52 to help differentiate from superman, lots of lightning and playing up the magic aspect, rather than kind of glossing over it.

Hope they keep Tawny in some fashion, I'm thinking we won't get the family until the sequel or the end, and it'll probably just be Mary for now.

God, when the book isn't lighthearted Mr. Mind can be so creepy. Him showing up in The Black Ring arc really surprised me, even more his hiding place.

His one appearance in the New 52 could've led to some interesting stories:

God, when the book isn't lighthearted Mr. Mind can be so creepy. Him showing up in The Black Ring arc really surprised me, even more his hiding place.

Part of why I really wish they had continued the backup series, since no proper run ever emerged. Had they kept his alien origins, while evidently having in some fashion aware of magic, it honestly could have looped into developing the more familiar character of Sivana - have Mr Mind meld him into a man whose mad science stems from his ability to see the esoteric aspects of reality through his magic gaze, and manipulate them. Perhaps even literally see that one formula that lets him open portals.

Slayven

Mr.Mind always ends up in the most interesting places

198322-141073-skeets.jpg

Busty

Banned
Having Cena, as a brand unto himself, play Shazam is just too perfect. I can see there being hurdles however if suddenly WWE want a piece of the action with a co-producing credit which I know used to be an issue with productions wanting to use WWE talent in films in the past.

As for this other guy, I have never heard of this Galavant guy at all. I Googled him and apparently he's English and used to date Kylie Minogue. At least he'd be cheap.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

NeonZ

I'd guess they'd go with Sivana using a plot similar to the multiversity one shot, but with no Marvel/Sivana family - he manages to copy Captain Marvel's powers in the movie's climax. Dark mirror matches are cliche but it would give them a Black Adam stand-in for fighting scenes.

Maddocks

Sure, why not.Cena can play a kid at heart, I think Tatum could too, and do it a little but better but cena is bigger muscle wise. So he would look better standing next to rock fighting him and superman when teaming up.

Vic_Viper

I always thought the Rock would have been a better choice for Shazam instead of Black Adam. Why waste his potential on a villan when he could be the hero. Especially one thats just a kid inside.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
As much as I despise the Cena character in the WWE, Cena's a good actor. I liked him in The Marine.

It'll be a little weird to have two wrestlers headline it, but whatever.

ReiGun

Everyone hoping for thrice in a lifetime should remember you'll be waiting on the sequel since Black Adam isn't in the first movie.

Also, can't wait till that thing that happens with all DC movies happens here and Liam Hemsworth gets it.

watership

You are correct. Picked it up when Fawcett Comics goofed up, it seems. But yeah, Captain Marvel has still been used..like in the DC fighting games, for instance.

Edit-

lol..quoted the wrong post.

The only reason Fawcett let the name fall into trademark hell is the DC sued them out of busines (While Superman came first, Captain Marvel was much more popular during World War II). DC bought facetts characters over a decade after Marvel has been making Captain Marvel comics.

DC has been using the "Shazam" as the character for almost 7 years now. I think there will be a legal battle I'd they use the name.

abrack08

My eyes saw "Cena" and my brain thought "Michael Cera" and I was very confused. That'd be a weird direction to go in, for Billy presumably.

Loona

What? I thought Captain Marvel was Brie Larson.

Carol Danvers is just the latest in a long line of name usurpers, and I'm optimistic to see DC still using the name Captain Marvel at this point, since the only real mandate is to not use it in the title.

So the superhero version of Big?

Don't have most faith in that, cause Billy has a pretty good head on his shoulders

At his best, Billy's got guts in service of that too, which makes it so that giving him powers just enables him to plausibly act on his inclinations.

It's always bothered me that the Shazam acronym has Solomon for S instead of another Greek character.

I tend to see the figures in his name as near-absolute representations of the attributes they're associated with, so divinity or a specific mythology aren't really that important (or there should have been a lot more interaction with wonder Woman over the years...), but odds are the comics have taken a different view of this.

Cena needs to perfect his shit eating grin if he wants to play Cap

The shit-eating grin was more of a Kingdom Come thing while the character was brainwashed IIRC...

I liked how in Convergence they used King Kull - it was interesting and funny how a character that barely managed to use language was still a technological genius - but odds are the genius thing is more likely to be applied to Sivana or Mind, which is fine - I'm just glad this isn't likely to be the Black Adam show with a side dish of Batson...

JDMC13

This shouldn't even be up for debate. Shazam is a child in a man's body. That is John Cena. I humbly submit this as my only piece of evidence, your honor.

0EjrnqR.jpg

The defense rests.

sirap

The shit-eating grin was more of a Kingdom Come thing while the character was brainwashed IIRC...

It's pretty much Ross's interpretation of the character, which imo fits really well with post-DC Captain Marvel. Cap's supreme confidence provides the perfect counter-balance to Billy's insecurities (if they decide to go that route). I really liked that dynamic---Billy Batson was the adult, Captain Marvel was his escape.

51E2VK24WYL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Everyone should read this. Shit's tight.

Loona

It's pretty much Ross's interpretation of the character, which imo fits really well with post-DC Captain Marvel. Cap's supreme confidence provides the perfect counter-balance to Billy's insecurities (if they decide to go that route). I really liked that dynamic---Billy Batson was the adult, Captain Marvel was his escape.

51E2VK24WYL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Everyone should read this. Shit's tight.

Ross depicted him in a much warmer fashion in Justice and The Power of Hope.

sirap

Ross depicted him in a much warmer fashion in Justice and The Power of Hope.

Sure, but that has nothing to do with Cap's grin. It obviously makes zero sense for him to keep that silly smile on his face when he's rescuing children :p

IIRC the exaggerated squint and cocky smile were deliberate choices to separate him from Superman (can't remember if it was an interview or from Rough Justice) and it kinda stuck for every subsequent depiction of him.

It's a great look. That smug face is iconic. Kōhei Horikoshi homage/parody of him is amazing lol.

73e871a2cf41a0bd81072a7faf6c5cb1b42bd838.jpg

310613.jpg

DMVfan123

Banned
At first I was opposed to John Cena playing Shazam, but after thinking about it I really like the choice and hope it happens

Keym

If I were WB, I'd get Cena in an instant. It's basically free publicity once they get him together with the Rock.

Ya'll live in a bubble lol. Cena wouldn't fill one seat outside of america.

Well yeah. But star power isn't really a thing anymore these days aside from maybe Leo and Tom Cruise and I don't think either of them would want to be anywhere near this. The promise of Cena and Johnson going at it with superpowers would get US audiences excited at least. DC characters have always had a lot more pull in America anyway.

I've been asking for Cena since Rock got announced so lesgo. Perfect guy to play a child pretending to be a man, brehs. Plus this way they can actually put on a good match together. If somehow the final showdown between Shazam and Black Adam takes place in Japan they might even get 6 stars.

I've been asking for Cena since Rock got announced so lesgo. Perfect guy to play a child pretending to be a man, brehs. Plus this way they can actually put on a good match together. If somehow the final showdown between Shazam and Black Adam takes place in Japan they might even get 6 stars.

Really I just like the idea of stylistically framing the final battle as the greatest wrestling match in the world. It would give it a different feel from a more traditional super power brawl.

Loona

Sure, but that has nothing to do with Cap's grin. It obviously makes zero sense for him to keep that silly smile on his face when he's rescuing children :p

IIRC the exaggerated squint and cocky smile were deliberate choices to separate him from Superman (can't remember if it was an interview or from Rough Justice) and it kinda stuck for every subsequent depiction of him.

It's a great look. That smug face is iconic. Kōhei Horikoshi homage/parody of him is amazing lol.

73e871a2cf41a0bd81072a7faf6c5cb1b42bd838.jpg

310613.jpg

He can work just fine with a more soothing expression:

I'm yet to watch My Hero Academia, but All Might's smile and shading give me an uneasy feeling about the guy, it never feels quite as right as it's probably supposed to for me.

Top Bottom