• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: 'Shazam' eyeing Cena or Sasse, Billy Batson character bio revealed

Geist-

Leaked footage of his transformation.
qe8vcMc.gif

NoRéN;247893362 said:
Was that ever an option? because that was my first pick too.

Don't mind Cena. he has that "All American Good Guy" look down.

For a hot second folks assumed Gambit was cancelled and there was something about Geoff Johns following Tatum on Twitter. Nothing concrete.

Not long ago The Rock said he wants Armie Hammer as Shazam. I think that's the closest to a reliable casting rumor.

bengraven

I guess I can see it since it's being more lighthearted in tone.

But I would've preferred the dude from true blood that almost got the part of superman.

Bronx-Man

Banned
It's the rubber match we've all been waiting for... just release this shit during WrestleMania weekend one year and it'll be money for all parties concerned.

john-cena-vs-the-rock-wrestlemania-281.jpg

the-rock-and-john-cena-o.gif
tumblr_ossqyhQ3pl1u2kv15o1_400.gif
Vince salivating at the thought of getting these two to hype Thrice in a Lifetime during red carpet press tours

Also reminder that in various interpretations of the character, Captain Marvel is based on Billy's ideal of masculinity. A young American lad basing that off John Cena is only fitting.

ZeroX03

Banned
I guess I can see it since it's being more lighthearted in tone.

But I would've preferred the dude from true blood that almost got the part of superman.

Joe Manganiello? He was cast as Deathstroke in The Batman. And then the director change happened so he might be out of that. He can't catch a break in superhero films, other than Spidey.

NoRéN

For a hot second folks assumed Gambit was cancelled and there was something about Geoff Johns following Tatum on Twitter. Nothing concrete.

Not long ago The Rock said he wants Armie Hammer as Shazam. I think that's the closest to a reliable casting rumor.

Armie Hammer would be good too.

Slayven

So the superhero version of Big?

Don't have most faith in that, cause Billy has a pretty good head on his shoulders

Interesting they're not backing down from the Captain Marvel name in the synopsis, especially with Marvel going forward with their Captain Marvel film.

So the superhero version of Big?

Don't have most faith in that, cause Billy has a pretty good head on his shoulders

I mean, that's been the default interpretation of the character outside of stuff like Convergence since the 90s.

Unless you mean you don't trust them to execute the concept well in film, in which case... yeah I'd be wary. Have to see whether or not Wonder Woman being good was a fluke, or if lightning can actually strike twice.

Maybe they think they can get this movie out before Marvel's?

It's possible,they're neck & neck in release dates, with Shazam being slotted a month later. Kind of funny. It looks like they're not slowing down on Captain Marvel's production anytime soon either.

I bet it more they just copy and pasted what some intern googled more then anything.

Yeah I've seen studios/reporters get their synopsis's fucked up more than once, I think last time they had freddy freeman's description instead of Billy's.

Slayven

Oh God

DC is going to make dark gritty Billy isn't it ?

It can be done

DAYQonbWAAAuf7p.jpg

It's possible,they're neck & neck in release dates, with Shazam being slotted a month later. Kind of funny. It looks like they're not slowing down on Captain Marvel's production anytime soon either.

Yeah I've seen studios/reporters get their synopsis's fucked up more than once, I think last time they had freddy freeman's description instead of Billy's.

Freddy would be fun, a superhero that can't say his own name. Could go places

Sasse would be a good choice, especially if they do play up the goofy aspect of the character. Cena is just overdone at this point in my opinion in terms of film appearance, so I'd prefer they'd cast someone a bit more "unknown".

Captain Marvel is the name of both a DC hero and a Marvel hero. Brie Larson is playing the Marvel version.

In the film Captain Marvel will be referred to as Shazam or whatever likely anyway.

why are people so happy to have such a terrible actor in this movie i don't get it

It's less about acting and more about physicality / charm in the case of The Captain Marvel role.

Slayven

He's just a brainwashed minion there for 90% of his screentime, not really a good example of a dark Captain Marvel.

yeah but that was fun as hell. People scared as shit, only to reveal he was never in CM form until the end.

hamchan

Shazam is such a cheeseball character anyways. Getting Cena to come in and ham it up and then fight the Rock sounds perfect to me.

Slayven

It's always bothered me that the Shazam acronym has Solomon for S instead of another Greek character.

You must hate IBAC

I for the Terror of Ivan the Terrible - Superhuman Stamina

B for the Cunning of Cesare Borgia - Invulnerability

A for the Fierceness of Attila the Hun - Superhuman Strength

C for the Cruelty of Caligula

why are people so happy to have such a terrible actor in this movie i don't get it

Has an actual funny bone, seems to play well with kids, versus The Rock (who isn't the world's greatest actor either btw, but he makes it work), and the character is a fucking comic book superhero so no dramatic actor is even needed.

It's literally the best of everything. Chanum Tatum may be better on account of acting ability, but he's starting to wane from that Hollywood hotspot of 'go-to guy'. Sorry bruv.

Oh, and for once you wouldn't have to take some random poor actor, shove a shitload of steroids down his throat, just to have him wear a cosplay costume on camera. Cena would only need the costume.

Cena could be good, i would have faith in his abilities.

Channing Tatum though...I know he would be perfect for it. He could easily pull of the "mind of a teenager in the body of a superhero" bit. And I like the movies the fella is in, he's got great charisma

His Darkseid War gods were a fun group:

Of all of these, I actually wish the 'the wizard is Mamaragan' idea remains canon, even if it utterly goes against the previous 'ancient Canaanite' concept. I have my general grievances with how underutilised the Shazam character is in all, but this felt like an interesting twist while being subtly appropriate all along. Firstly in that it's a neat way of addressing why the wizard would be on speaking terms with any gods - he's one himself - but well... lemme just quote the wiki description for Mamargan real quick:
In Australian Aboriginal mythology, Mamaragan or Namarrkun is a lightning god who speaks with thunder as his voice.

Top Bottom