• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel considering replacing Jonathan Majors’ Kang with Doctor Doom and bringing back the original Avengers (RDJ included)

ManaByte

Gold Member
No
Ah, gotcha.

They haven't even started filming Blade, right? I'll get excited when they can drop a trailer so we can see for ourselves
Nope. Only stuff filming before the strikes was Deadpool 3, Daredevil, and Cap 4. Deadpool has already been delayed due to the strikes.

jason10mm

Gold Member
That's the first I heard of Taylor Swift as Dazzler. That's a casting for the ages.
Taylor Swifts ability to perform for 4 hours straight every night whilst professional dancers are suffering is the clearest example of a mutant using their superpower I've ever seen.

If she one day announced she was taking over the world and started popping heads with just her mind it wouldn't shock me in the slightest :p

RAÏSanÏa

Taylor Swifts ability to perform for 4 hours straight every night whilst professional dancers are suffering is the clearest example of a mutant using their superpower I've ever seen.

If she one day announced she was taking over the world and started popping heads with just her mind it wouldn't shock me in the slightest :p
That she could take over the MCU as Dazzler and become Captain America does make her casting startling.

It plays into my hope of Isaiah taking up the shield briefly after Falcon and we get to see a cgi barrelchested old man with huge mitts in a gloriful original style Captain America fight scene.

While I think a psionic should lead the Avengers going forward, Firestar is also visible at range on a battlefield/battleworld.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I think at this point you can look at her track record when she was under someone else... and her track record as the boss... and draw some fairly accurate conclusions.

I don't understand what you mean Funk. She produced these dozens of hits and/or award winners while working for many production companies, with an array of directors and fellow producers, while not being the chief exec of a studio. As president of Lucasfilm she's overseen a $2.5bn movie and two other billion+ films, and hugely popular shows like Andor and The Mandalorian. Even her misses that "only" earn like $300-$500m would make most other producers jealous.

Credit where credit is due. At the end of the day the producer(s) are the ones who guide the macro of a project, not the chief execs, as many are so oft to point out in these film and TV threads.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
According to Daniel RPK... KANG is still in it. Not being replaced by Doom... Feige isn't a reactionary like the old DCEU head honchos. And with the changes behind the scenes, things are changing around for the better.

Little Mac

Gold Member
The reason Ironman worked is because Ironman was a D-list hero that Hollywood executives didn't care about. They didn't mettle with its design or production. They let Favreau and Downy do what they wanted and the duo ended up making a cool fucking movie that became the backbone of the MCU. After it's tremendous success though you could immediately start seeing the balance of power shit from the creatives to the business suits. Now these movies are soulless, formulaic, woke trends with crappy CGI because Hollywood executives, after seeing the financial potential, are running the show. How many stories have we heard of actors, writers, and directors bailing from projects when they realize they have no control and are being forced to make a shitty by the numbers train wreck of a movie that will tarnish their career.

Ironman's success will never be replicated again until Hollywood loses interest in superhero movies.

Last edited:

peish

According to Daniel RPK... KANG is still in it. Not being replaced by Doom... Feige isn't a reactionary like the old DCEU head honchos. And with the changes behind the scenes, things are changing around for the better.

I think Kevin is making some changes already, my girl Sylvie was written out and may as well not be in Loki S2.

they probably still going to do the King Valkyrie x Denvers ship to cater to the purple hair crowd

Madonis

I'm fine if they bring the original Avengers cast back for Secret Wars...as long as they're only coming back for one movie and nothing else. Leave them alone after that.

The main problem with the new movies isn't the casting, in and of itself. It's the formulaic process, trying to do too many things at once, and a surprising lack of imagination.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
The reason Ironman worked is because Ironman was a D-list hero that Hollywood executives didn't care about. They didn't mettle with its design or production. They let Favreau and Downy do what they wanted and the duo ended up making a cool fucking movie that became the backbone of the MCU. After it's tremendous success though you could immediately start seeing the balance of power shit from the creatives to the business suits. Now these movies are soulless, formulaic, woke trends with crappy CGI because Hollywood executives, after seeing the financial potential, are running the show. How many stories have we heard of actors, writers, and directors bailing from projects when they realize they have no control and are being forced to make a shitty by the numbers train wreck of a movie that will tarnish their career.

Ironman's success will never be replicated again until Hollywood loses interest in superhero movies.

The irony is if anyone watches Iron Man in 2023, the movie would be cancelled. Tony makes a joke at Rhodey about him mistakenly dating a "transvestite". If anyone on Twitter or Era were to go back and watch it, they'd be demanding the movie be deleted like Blazing Saddles.

jason10mm

Gold Member
The irony is if anyone watches Iron Man in 2023, the movie would be cancelled. Tony makes a joke at Rhodey about him mistakenly dating a "transvestite". If anyone on Twitter or Era were to go back and watch it, they'd be demanding the movie be deleted like Blazing Saddles.
Not to mention the reporter who sleeps with Tony and gets slut shamed by Pepper, as well as the flight stewardess Tony and Rhodey get drunk, make dance, and presumably tag team. LOTS of "frat boy" shit in IM.

Ozriel

M$FT
How hard can it be to make a decent Blade movie?

People like swords and vampires and badass heroes. Just amp up the CGI and make cool UV weapons.

How hard can it be to make a decent Blade movie?

People like swords and vampires and badass heroes. Just amp up the CGI and make cool UV weapons.
These days? A typical 90s/00s-esque action flick is an impossible task now, apparently. Also masculine toxicity. You're asking for too much, amigo.

Last edited:

EekTheKat

I think the Marvel course correction will be hilarious, and it will make the Star Wars course correction in The Rise of Skywalker look like the second coming of Empire Strikes Back. The inevitable overcorrection will ultimately force a reboot of the whole thing when they realize the depth of the hole they've dug themselves.

An entire studio greenlit these Phase 4 movies, threw hundreds of millions of dollars at it, watched the finished/edited product and thought they had a good movie that people will love. It's catastrophic levels of being out of touch with their audience that could only be solved by a new set of people behind the scenes.

Xmen and the FF4 written and produced by the same people who ran Phase 4 does not exactly inspire confidence in the future of the MCU.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I think the Marvel course correction will be hilarious, and it will make the Star Wars course correction in The Rise of Skywalker look like the second coming of Empire Strikes Back. The inevitable overcorrection will ultimately force a reboot of the whole thing when they realize the depth of the hole they've dug themselves.

An entire studio greenlit these Phase 4 movies, threw hundreds of millions of dollars at it, watched the finished/edited product and thought they had a good movie that people will love. It's catastrophic levels of being out of touch with their audience that could only be solved by a new set of people behind the scenes.

Xmen and the FF4 written and produced by the same people who ran Phase 4 does not exactly inspire confidence in the future of the MCU.

Most of those same people did Phases 1-3... And now that middle men are out of Feige's way... He can get back to doing the quality he was on top of from Phase 1-3.

I don't think it's the course correction you're envisioning. Fewer movies per year, fewer TV shows per year. Giving Feige a better reign over all projects.

Iger may have greenlit the money for the marvel movies but Chapek wanted everything out faster and more often (quantity of content)... Quality be damned.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins

Good luck to him.

Writing Secret Wars must be a pain in the arse with the amount of Marvel characters needed to be shoehorned into it.

If I was him I'd be using the Jonathan Hickman version as a template and go from there.

Most of those same people did Phases 1-3... And now that middle men are out of Feige's way... He can get back to doing the quality he was on top of from Phase 1-3.

I don't think it's the course correction you're envisioning. Fewer movies per year, fewer TV shows per year. Giving Feige a better reign over all projects.

Iger may have greenlit the money for the marvel movies but Chapek wanted everything out faster and more often (quantity of content)... Quality be damned.
Let’s not pretend like Feige has nothing to do with this mess. And speaking of quantity, they’re still releasing 3 movies a year. Let’s be honest, with how political Feige has been with his movies, odds are that the quality will bad.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Let’s not pretend like Feige has nothing to do with this mess. And speaking of quantity, they’re still releasing 3 movies a year. Let’s be honest, with how political Feige has been with his movies, odds are that the quality will bad.

Next year only Deadpool is being released. They've held back the rest a year to make sure quality is back up. Under Chapek, Feige didn't have the control he used to under iger. Now he has it back again.

Billbofet

Next year only Deadpool is being released. They've held back the rest a year to make sure quality is back up. Under Chapek, Feige didn't have the control he used to under iger. Now he has it back again.
I think it's irrelevant if Fiege gets more control back. They have burned through most all goodwill for both Marvel and Star Wars to the point that it's unlikely to ever recover now that there is oversaturation, fatigue, and a lineup of characters left that very few give a shit about.
Hell, even the Xmen, as much as I love them, most people are going to see it as a reboot of the other Xmen that burned through their goodwill with a series of shitty movies.
The answer isn't more superhero movies/shows.

Last edited:
Looking at articles, Bob Chapek didn’t like that Feige was going woke. Seems to me that he was in the right by trying to restrain Feige. Unchecked the quality will no doubt get worse.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Looking at articles, Bob Chapek didn’t like that Feige was going woke. Seems to me that he was in the right by trying to restrain Feige. Unchecked the quality will no doubt get worse.

That doesn't make sense... You had the current phase 4 and 5 under Chapek (until last year) under performing and most on here called it all "woke nonsense" ... Phases 1-3 weren't (under Feige) ... So which is it?

That doesn't make sense... You had the current phase 4 and 5 under Chapek (until last year) under performing and most on here called it all "woke nonsense" ... Phases 1-3 weren't (under Feige) ... So which is it?
This was under Iger:

Looks to me like Feige got his way.

jason10mm

Gold Member
This was under Iger:

Looks to me like Feige got his way.
Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooow, if Feige could go back to 2019 and change the slate, what would he change? Black Widow, She-Hulk, Ms. Marvel, The Marvels, The Eternals, Shang-Chi, these "Diversity" projects were absolute disasters or break-evens at best (and I doubt any of them did even that when including marketing). Only Wakanda Forever could be said to be a hit for a project made to appeal to a niche audience. The audience just isn't there for that stuff, the way they package these other heroes isn't working for the audience that IS there, and the meta-"message" is KILLING THEM.

Top Bottom