• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Shazam!' director David Sandberg promising DC's most lighthearted movie

dynamic_resize

“The big attraction for me with that character is the fact that every kid dreams of being Superman, right? I mean I certainly did, and (Billy Batson) is a kid that gets that chance,” Sandberg tells the Sun. “He gets to become the superhero. So it’ll be big with superpowers in a way. In terms of what people can expect, I think this will be one of the more fun or lighthearted movies so far in the DC universe. It certainly will be a departure.”

Expect Shazam! to hit theatres in 2019.

Source..

Wonder if Superman will rise from the grave and make a cameo? Shazam if old..

I kinda want Superman to have a small part in this. Kinda like Iron Man in the newest Spider-man movie.

BTW, Is the Rock playing Black Adam, or Shazam/Captain Marvel himself?

7Th

This is how it will happen with every DCEU movie going forward; I'm expecting every future DC director to try to one-up the previous by promising FUN, FUN, FUN and COLORFUL ADVENTURES.

As it should be. Shazam/Captain Marvel is pure wish fulfilment, and his villains include a worm from venus, an atomic robot, and a literal caveman.

Sure, there's places to be emotional and serious within that, but there should only be darkness to make the light that follows shine more brightly.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Geoff Johns already laidout the blueprint for a great Shazam movie with Curse of Shazam. Just follow that and we're good to go.

I mean, that's not hard.
I hope the script will be based on the New 52 run, perfect way to introduce and modernize the character. And I better see a giant tiger with a jetpack at some point.

HeatBoost

It's literally a movie about a (generally... in most versions... JOHNS) nice little kid who finds himself with Superman class powers and an adult form. You'd have to be a completely tone deaf knucklehead to make something particularly edgy out of that... GEOFF JOHNS.

I wonder if there are going to be any "Adult women are attracted to Shazam, and Billy has to awkwardly turn them down without revealing his identity" jokes

ArmGunar

I hope its powers will be well transcribed on screens as Superman

Shazam is super strong, fast, intelligent, etc...

Bronx-Man

Banned
This is how it will happen with every DCEU movie going forward; I'm expecting every future DC director to try to one-up the previous by promising FUN, FUN, FUN and COLORFUL ADVENTURES.

This is Shazam.

image.php

This is his pet tiger, Tawny.

tumblr_nme5h2ubSV1qai61bo1_500.png

This is his team, formerly known as the Marvel Family.

18f9f2856e074ddfd4d4d43b7c836bec677c6bf1_hq.jpg

Is there anything in these pictures that makes you think "Yeah, this guy needs the Zack Snyder treatment"

Director says even though it's under New Line Cinema, is still part of the DCEU..

It's not 1:1 as New Line is part of WB, it's a bit like how Spider-Man Homecoming is part of the MCU but ultimately a Sony joint.

I've been on the Tatum bandwagon for this role for awhile, but that's another great choice.

I don't fucking want John Cena. Dude has charisma, but I can't see him carrying a lead role.

The Rock said he and his producing partner wanted Armie Hammer as Shazam.

It's unclear if they're producing Shazam as well as Black Adam and how that all shakes out.

LionPride

Banned
Shazam should most definitely be the most light hearted comic film period

Because it's fucking Shazam

Do better

This is his pet tiger, Tawny.

tumblr_nme5h2ubSV1qai61bo1_500.png

Just wanna highlight this because the dude deserves a signal boost: SEN's a translator who's helped produce the Japanese translations for various comic book series, and an avowed Shazam fanboy. He does the best Shazam/Captain Marvel fanart, perfectly capturing the spirit of the character, and I only wish he could somehow have the output for a full series. Here's his site:
http://shazam.ldblog.jp/

and this is Shazam, too.

latest

:p

That is Captain Marvel under the control of the bad guys. This...

Is Cap at his best. When Superman calls for help, he listens for the sound of thunder.

Edit:
I know, but do they even call him that anymore?

In main DCU marketing and universe? No. But there's still several stories post-New 52, mostly alt universes, that still regard him as the Captain Marvel character.

Top Bottom