• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seriously Weird Habits/Issues That You're Sure Only You Have

hemo memo

Gold Member
I love GAAS…
Season 3 Ugh GIF by Black Sails

still prefer using arrow keys on a full fat keyboard.

dozens-of-us-20th-century.gif
I remember being pissed one of the Battlefield games didn’t have the option, then I adapted and made my combo TFGH, (just feel the lump on the F key on your ring finger to get your bearings)….so many hotkeys 😍

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I must touch door knobs (not handles) on both sides (ideally simultaneously), or else everything feels out of balance.

You should come to Sweden, we don't have door knobs. I mean, they EXIST, but 99.99% of our doors (external and internal ones) have handles.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Setting inverted aiming. My buddies bitch about it all the time that I prefer it for most shooters yet one of them uses scroll wheel up for jump...scroll wheel up for jump. I neeeeeeever heard of that esoteric jump button assignment before and yet he got some nerve getting bugged out over inverted aiming
My Dad used to play NES Top Gun with the controller upside down…true inverted controls right there 😂

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
If i have to set the volume, i never use odd numbers, always even numbers.

When we still had instruction manuals inside game cases i had to read the entire manual before starting a game, like a ritual not because i needed to.

In games that have decent ia i always repeat some stages to do different things and see how stupid the ia is (they are never smart, only different degrees or retardation, yes even tlou2 on grounded)

I don't pray our imaginary lord and saviour for half an hour to forgive my soul every time i need to use the epic store on pc, it's just a fucking launcher app.

I can't play any rpg by doing what i would do in real life, i always do what gets me the better ingame reward and i hate myself for that.
Also i barely ever did a bad guy run on any game that has multiple choices (except for infamous saga)

The volume thing I do with everything, but in steps of 5. So 25 or 30 is OK, but nothing disgusting like 26 or 29.

Unfortunately my TV and receiver, which have their volumes synced, use different volume scales or something, so 25 on one will be something like 33 on the other (and they both display the volume when it's changed on either). Feels bad man.

Last edited:

NinjaBoiX

Likely due to my diagnosed ADHD, I have the compulsion to complete EVERYTHING in some open world games before even starting the first few story missions. It happened in Ghostwire Tokyo in unlocking all the movement options and getting all the spirits. The game and it's story was overall ruined for me because of it, unfortunately.

Horizon Forbidden West blocks off a shit ton of what you can do until you completed X amount of story missions which you'd think is a good thing but it adds some aggravation.

Of course, Far Cry 3 is the most famous, hilarious example of this where you can liberate everything on the first island by murdering all terrorists with your fully upgraded arsenal of weapons, then go to one of the first intro story missions where the MC is FREAKING OUT because he shot ONE DUDE because he's "never done it before."
Oh man, this is one that could very well ruin a lot of games for you!

Steamrolling the main story with your fully upgraded character surely takes most of the challenge and therefore fun out of it.

Bluecondor

In GTA Online, I experience misophonia (becoming irritated or even enraged when one hears a specific sound) when I drive cars and motorcycles that have those exhausts that pop/explode every time you accelerate.

marquimvfs

I wash my hands before playing, and never, NEVER eat while I'm playing. My 2009 Dual Shock 3 is still intact (still with its original battery). Took some time to my wife to get used to it, but now, she does the same, and is even teaching our nephews when they come visit and wanna play.

Comandr

Whenever I start playing a new game I have to fiddle with all of the settings first and benchmark before I will ever actually start the game. The only time I don’t do this is when I am literally unable to. This includes but is not limited to modifying INI files if necessary.

My Metroid experiences lead me to constantly attempt to sequence break. I will spend VERY large amounts of time to try to get to that ledge or through that door the game clearly doesn’t want you to get to yet.

No its worse than that. I'll use horses but will walk them whenever I'm not in danger or on a time-table for the plot. I'll even drive the speed limit in GTA whenever I'm not on a mission.

I am a sick puppy.
I did a pacifist SA play through at speed limits where possible. I even had a jogging route for my CJ that id take him on every morning. I had a lot of free time at university.

Nankatsu

If I'm really enjoying the game, I never go into the final battle without clearing all accessible side quests at the time.

Best example for this are the Yakuza games.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I tend to stop playing a game right near the end for some god forsaken reason(s).

I guess it's either because I get bored or stuck or simply lose interest. Not really to invested in videogame stories. It's all about immersion and mechanics for me I suppose

Last edited:
Okay. So I'm sitting here, scrolling through my screenshots on my PS5, and every time you hit R1 to go to the next image, the borders of the top and bottom of the screen go all vignette and obscure 66% of the image, making it a super pain in the ass to just scroll quickly through images and actually, you know, see them. I know you can immediately press up or down on the Dpad/left stick to make the shit go away, but like...I don't want to have to activate the Konami code to go through my images without condescendingly having my console obscure the entire screen telling me that the buttons I just pressed to do what I just did DO IN FACT just what I just did. In case I'm like....missing my frontal lobe.

And then I thought to myself:

I bet no one else in the fucking WORLD cares about this specific flavor of frivolous bullshit. Which brought me to the conclusion that people play games. And people are weird. So we ALL must have some eccentricity or condition to the games we play that, in all likelihood, we are the only ones who care.

If my hypothesis is correct, tell me the random OCD bullshit you neurodivergent pioneers indulge in.
Dude lmao! I was actually doing the same thing last night. I've been playing a ton of Red Dead 2 version 1.00 and taking a bunch of screen shots and that vignette was pissing me off. I'm not sure why that even occurs? Is it due to loading? Sony needs to patch that bullshit out of the console.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Once I get the hang of the gameplay, I'm always tempted to restart the game to play the first parts better, no matter how far I got.
I restarted most Souls games before finishing them because of this, and many other games too.

Top Bottom