• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seriously Weird Habits/Issues That You're Sure Only You Have

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Okay. So I'm sitting here, scrolling through my screenshots on my PS5, and every time you hit R1 to go to the next image, the borders of the top and bottom of the screen go all vignette and obscure 66% of the image, making it a super pain in the ass to just scroll quickly through images and actually, you know, see them. I know you can immediately press up or down on the Dpad/left stick to make the shit go away, but like...I don't want to have to activate the Konami code to go through my images without condescendingly having my console obscure the entire screen telling me that the buttons I just pressed to do what I just did DO IN FACT just what I just did. In case I'm like....missing my frontal lobe.

And then I thought to myself:

I bet no one else in the fucking WORLD cares about this specific flavor of frivolous bullshit. Which brought me to the conclusion that people play games. And people are weird. So we ALL must have some eccentricity or condition to the games we play that, in all likelihood, we are the only ones who care.

If my hypothesis is correct, tell me the random OCD bullshit you neurodivergent pioneers indulge in.

Topher

Gold Member
I'm not sure I want to know the "weird habits" of NeoGAF.

No Thanks Im Out GIF by Back Row Radio

Larxia

I'm often bothered by upgrades in games that change things or add new things that can be a distraction to me.

For example, in Spider-Man, you can jump again immediatly after landing on something, and there's an upgrade that boosts this jump, but it now makes some kind of explosion / woosh noise, and smoke, and I hate it.
I really prefer the default jump so I never unlocked this upgrade, on purpose.

In Final Fantasy XV when I unlocked the Libra ability for Ignis, it really bothered me for a while that there was this big window with all the stats that would appear randomly on the corner on the screen, with me having no control over it, and no option to remove it when I don't want it.

More recently, in Guardians of the Galaxy, there's an upgrade that allows you to detect ressources, but the description said it was when using the scanner.
It's actually not that. Once you buy this upgrade, everytime you will be near an object, there will be an icon in the corner of the screen, flashing, and making a beeping noise.
I absolutely hated this. I hated the effect, and I hated the fact that, by showing me this, I knew where there were things immediatly, but more importantly, I knew where there wasn't anything, so there weren't any surprises anymore, if the icon wasn't there when exploring an area, I knew immediatly there was nothing to find, and I really disliked this.
I sadly didn't have any save backup, I didn't pay enough attention. I decided to restart the game from the beginning with a clean save because of this, I only completed 4 chapters out of 16 thankfully, but it was still a few hours of gameplay lol.

So yeah, I'd say this is one of my probably "weirdest" things I have with games.

Okay. So I'm sitting here, scrolling through my screenshots on my PS5, and every time you hit R1 to go to the next image, the borders of the top and bottom of the screen go all vignette and obscure 66% of the image, making it a super pain in the ass to just scroll quickly through images and actually, you know, see them. I know you can immediately press up or down on the Dpad/left stick to make the shit go away, but like...I don't want to have to activate the Konami code to go through my images without condescendingly having my console obscure the entire screen telling me that the buttons I just pressed to do what I just did DO IN FACT just what I just did. In case I'm like....missing my frontal lobe.
I recall being constantly upset at the Windows Media Player for something similar, and when youtube leaves its interface on for too long... Also any full screen media application/game that does not hide the damn mouse pointer, anyone who forgot this deserves pain.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I terminate as much useless programs as i can when playing. Its pointless to do this in modern PCs (unless you're running blender or something) but i can stop myself.
Same here, can't even leave the Steam overlay enabled.

I think it's because as a kid I always had a potato PC and needed to scratch performance in every way possible. Old habits never die I guess.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I recall being constantly upset at the Windows Media Player for something similar, and when youtube leaves its interface on for too long... Also any full screen media application/game that does not hide the damn mouse pointer, anyone who forgot this deserves pain.

All of this. My Lord. And it makes me wonder if these "pop up and gradually fade," things would bother me nearly as much if they were just designed to not disappear at all and just be a permanent fixture.

My media shouldn't make me feel like I'm visiting The Oracle.

MastAndo

Gold Member
Setting inverted aiming. My buddies bitch about it all the time that I prefer it for most shooters yet one of them uses scroll wheel up for jump...scroll wheel up for jump. I neeeeeeever heard of that esoteric jump button assignment before and yet he got some nerve getting bugged out over inverted aiming
Same, but on console as well. If it's not an option in a particular game, I'm out. My brain just can't process it. Fortunately, it almost always is an option.

Even weirder, when I used to play PC games with mouse & keyboard way back when, I used right-click to walk forward and W to jump.

All of this. My Lord. And it makes me wonder if these "pop up and gradually fade," things would bother me nearly as much if they were just designed to not disappear at all and just be a permanent fixture.

My media shouldn't make me feel like I'm visiting The Oracle.
We are annoyances mates!

VLC doesn't annoy me like this, and this may very well be because the UI is opaque, but neither does Netflix, Prime video, etc. they just don't seem to be in the way of what they are there to present.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Reported. Enjoy your ban.
I dont just leave it on stock settings though, its in Vivid mode but still customly tuned to each game.

Horizon Forbidden West looks especially spectacular on Vivid mode :messenger_smirking:

For The Last of Us Part 1 though, I tried FILMMAKER MODE (customly tuned settings aswell) and that shit looked fucking incredible. Set the tone perfectly.

You guys are missing out if you're just switching it to game mode and doing nothing else

Last edited:

Elysion

Banned
When I’m playing rpgs, I just can’t help but collect (and keep) all kinds of shit I don’t need. Like in Skyrim for example: If I get a letter, I always keep it, even though I’ve read it and don’t need for anything else. If I find a key, I just can’t bring myself to throw it away, even if I’ve already unlocked all the doors that the key can unlock. Same with quest items that I’ve already used.

I know I don’t need this stuff any more, but it’s like there’s a voice inside my head telling me “you never know, maybe there’s an npc somewhere who’s interested in that letter”, or “there might be a secret dungeon somewhere filled with incredible treasures, which can only be unlocked by this particular key that I just snatched from a peasant to steal the potatoes in his basement”, or “yes, I already used this artifact, but maybe there’s a super secret Dwemer ruin somewhere, whose secrets only this particular artifact can unlock!”

John_Ryder

When I had a gaming PC and I tried a new game I used to put it first in the lowest graphic settings possible and then going up one by one.

Also I play console games with soap opera effect on lol.

Kumomeme

when i controlling my character if i turn around on one side too much, i would turn other side to balance things out. i dont know, i dont feels 'right' if i didnt do this lol. sometimes i did this IRL too.

sometimes when i turn to one side and i dont feels right, then i twist the character on other side instead.

Ellery

Weird obsession playing with the starting handgun/pistol in games as long as possible and trying to complete it only with handgun in future playthroughs.

My favourite game for this is Resident Evil 3 PS1 1999

tygertrip

Setting inverted aiming. My buddies bitch about it all the time that I prefer it for most shooters yet one of them uses scroll wheel up for jump...scroll wheel up for jump. I neeeeeeever heard of that esoteric jump button assignment before and yet he got some nerve getting bugged out over inverted aiming
That is fucking nuts about the scroll wheel! To each their own. Anyway, When console fps were new, you could always tell who had came up playing fps on pc and who was a johnny-come-lately console kiddie ( 😉 )by seeing if they inverted their mouse/thumbstick or not.

H4ze

I am using the arrow keys and the surrounding keys when I play with a dedicated keyboard and not on a laptop. My dad plays like this and I guess I just got used to his control schemes as a kid. :D

Even did this when I had my prime WoW time with around 25-30 hotkeys, everything got double binded if possible. Even used trinkets by pressing Down, cuz noone should backpaddle in pvp lol

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I don’t look at my FPS, or put my CPU my usage, temps, RAM use, etc on my screen.

I simply fire up my PC game and play. If something feels off then I’ll adjust my settings.

My first playthrough is just to learn, then i play the same game several times again until i become a real master on it.

That's why my backlog are insane lmao

Last edited:

Rex_DX

Gold Member
In some RPGs I need to walk unless the situation makes sense for me to run. In Skyrim I will slow walk everywhere. In the Witcher 3 I walk, trot, or canter Roach everywhere. I stop to rest horses. RDR2 was my perfect game for this reason. I grabbed the reigns on foot and walked those guys everywhere.

FromSoft games are my only exception. I'll run whenever.

Top Bottom