• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seriously Weird Habits/Issues That You're Sure Only You Have

Kikorin

I use Jap voices everytime I can, but then I usually read the text box a lot faster compared to when the talking character have finished to speak. So to not break immersion (considering I understand nothing about Japanese) I try to skip the dialogue in a point that make sense to me, withount cut in half words. In games like Fire Emblem is a difficult pratice, but after lot of years I've mastered the technique.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
I love GAAS and give most of them a try. They’ll never be my favorite games but by far my most played games. When a new one is announced I get happy.
Mike Judge Kick GIF by Idiocracy

zephiross

I pluck chin whiskers constantly. I don't know if that's just a me thing, but I have a hard time stopping once I start.
I have the same disability lol, and not limited to chin, brows too. But I'm doing my best to actively refrain from it nowaday.

GymWolf

If i have to set the volume, i never use odd numbers, always even numbers.

When we still had instruction manuals inside game cases i had to read the entire manual before starting a game, like a ritual not because i needed to.

In games that have decent ia i always repeat some stages to do different things and see how stupid the ia is (they are never smart, only different degrees or retardation, yes even tlou2 on grounded)

I don't pray our imaginary lord and saviour for half an hour to forgive my soul every time i need to use the epic store on pc, it's just a fucking launcher app.

I can't play any rpg by doing what i would do in real life, i always do what gets me the better ingame reward and i hate myself for that.
Also i barely ever did a bad guy run on any game that has multiple choices (except for infamous saga)

Likely due to my diagnosed ADHD, I have the compulsion to complete EVERYTHING in some open world games before even starting the first few story missions. It happened in Ghostwire Tokyo in unlocking all the movement options and getting all the spirits. The game and it's story was overall ruined for me because of it, unfortunately.

Horizon Forbidden West blocks off a shit ton of what you can do until you completed X amount of story missions which you'd think is a good thing but it adds some aggravation.

Of course, Far Cry 3 is the most famous, hilarious example of this where you can liberate everything on the first island by murdering all terrorists with your fully upgraded arsenal of weapons, then go to one of the first intro story missions where the MC is FREAKING OUT because he shot ONE DUDE because he's "never done it before."

Chiggs

I can't play stealth games without murdering everyone. Even if I sneak past someone successfully, it still bothers me that they're somewhere behind me in the level living out their life.

So back I go to end them, sometimes ending myself in the process.

MAX PAYMENT

I terminate as much useless programs as i can when playing. Its pointless to do this in modern PCs (unless you're running blender or something) but i can stop myself.
Wait? This is pointless now? I've just been doing this automatically out of habit. What makes it pointless?

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
I always remove the short cut arrows on the desktop on every windows installation I carry out (a lot)

tommib

Specially In racing games I accompany the turns with my whole body
I think we all do this to some degree. I can’t imagine anyone with a controller going on an online GT7 race and not move their torso and legs during those long slow curves when you’re just on the edge of sliding off-track.

Guilty_AI

Wait? This is pointless now? I've just been doing this automatically out of habit. What makes it pointless?
What you gain in processing power and memory is negligible. Naturally, if you're running heavy stuff on the background like 100 chrome tabs or downloading a 50 gb game on steam, you will still get some performance hits depending on the game and machine.
But if its just the steam and some other launcher app, discord, some youtube video, as long as your pc isn't a complete potatoe, theres basically no performance impact.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Setting inverted aiming. My buddies bitch about it all the time that I prefer it for most shooters yet one of them uses scroll wheel up for jump...scroll wheel up for jump. I neeeeeeever heard of that esoteric jump button assignment before and yet he got some nerve getting bugged out over inverted aiming
What is now 'inverted' was the normal mode in Jedi Knight and 'inverted' was what is now the normal mode.
kxESoy7.jpg

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
I can't play stealth games without murdering everyone. Even if I sneak past someone successfully, it still bothers me that they're somewhere behind me in the level living out their life.

So back I go to end them, sometimes ending myself in the process.

Opposite here. I play stealth games and knock down anyone I can without killing them. I've played deus ex hr/md/dishonored/etc. a million times and every single time I replay the same way, stealth non-lethal.

Rayderism

I always get to work an hour early. I sit in the employee parking lot, listen to music and browse PSN and GAF while getting my caffeine boost before it's time to punch in and get to work. Been doing that for years. I live 4 miles from work.

MAX PAYMENT

What you gain in processing power and memory is negligible. Naturally, if you're running heavy stuff on the background like 100 chrome tabs or downloading a 50 gb game on steam, you will still get some performance hits depending on the game and machine.
But if its just the steam and some other launcher app, discord, some youtube video, as long as your pc isn't a complete potatoe, theres basically no performance impact.
Cool. Thanks for clarifying. I just assumed it was having enough of an impact to make a difference. Definitely an old habit. Good to know.

I always get to work an hour early. I sit in the employee parking lot, listen to music and browse PSN and GAF while getting my caffeine boost before it's time to punch in and get to work. Been doing that for years. I live 4 miles from work.
sorry but fuck that lol. i stay at home until i have to leave. takes me 22 minutes to walk to work so you can be damn sure i'm not walking out my door until X:38. you won't catch me in my work even a minute before the time stated in my contract.

Bragr

Banned
I can't change difficulties mid-game, feels like cheating. The worst case of this was Dragon Age Origins, where I couldn't get passed one of the last bosses on hard with my team because I didn't have a tank. I restarted the entire game on normal, over 60 hours in.

It's almost impossible for me to play horror games. I don't know why, I get too immersed and too nervous. I forced myself to play the classics like Dead Space and Resident Evil 4, but it was miserable. I am not a little girl either.

I think having random players with headsets in online games ruins the game, I always have to mute it.

I don't believe in favorite genres, you develop your interests and preferred gameplay styles from games you played as a kid that form your gaming tastes, but not playing certain genres or games when you get older is only because of pettiness and laziness of trying new things.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
There's a thing I do with joysticks on loading screens that must be pretty uncommon. Left up, right up, left down, right down, as fast as I can maintaining a steady beat. 1-2-3-4. About 634bpm when I find a groove.

lachesis

I have given up the notion of me being unique in most part of my behavior in gaming. I am sure there are ton of people out there who never used potions in old Final Fantasy nor Dragon Quest series but relied on healing magic and healing spots.

In some RPGs I need to walk unless the situation makes sense for me to run. In Skyrim I will slow walk everywhere. In the Witcher 3 I walk, trot, or canter Roach everywhere. I stop to rest horses. RDR2 was my perfect game for this reason. I grabbed the reigns on foot and walked those guys everywhere.

FromSoft games are my only exception. I'll run whenever.
Never use Roach crew.

angrod14

I'm bothered by the fact I can't arrange my trophy list in alphabetical order. An option to arrange them in whatever arbitrary or individual order I choose to would be lovely too.

NinjaBoiX

I used to waggle the sticks on my pad as the game loaded up in an attempt to eliminate or “shake off” any potential drift.

I’ve only just acknowledged that I don’t really do that anymore…

Last edited:
I have this tendency to shove my pinky finger tips in the screw holes on the bottom of my controller while playing. I mean, really try to jam them in there. Of course they don't fit, and I notice it and don't like it, but keep doing it, lol. I guess it's some form of tension outlet during more intense gaming sessions or something, ha.

BlackTron

In settings you can make it close itself on game start ;)

Holy crap I wish I learned this back when I played a Blizzard game every day. I learned this just in time to quit Overwatch.

Still optimistic that after the MS acquisition down the line the app will no longer be required for Starcraft and I can just never install it again.

Bartski

Gold Member
I grind extra hard on the gym and diet against my gaming calendar. Making headroom shape whenever I know I'm about to ruin it by binging on a game for days while I stuff myself with haribo and milka.

TheGecko

Banned
When I game I usually eat 1 of 3 things. Pizza, dorrittos or snickers bar. Sometimes all 3.

Everytime I game and need a shit and I've eaten one of these it's a clean wipe.

My clean to dirty wipe ratio is weird like 7 to 3.

Billbofet

When I get a game or grab a game I'm interested off of GamePass, I urgently have to download it.
Once downloaded, I go into it and get to the first moment of gameplay to adjust the controls to exactly how I like them I then spend several minutes adjusting brightness, contrast, film grain, etc. - triple the time required for this if I am attempting this in HDR.
I then exit the game and never play it.
Months/years later, I'm all like "Oh yeeah.....I have that game" - this part I do once/twice per year, or in the case of any Assassin's Creed game, it's been a tradition for over a decade.

Top Bottom