• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Second month of 2021 and where is the options for PS5 storage?

ElCasual

Is the second month of 2021, the third of PS5 launch and where is the options for the storage in PS5 consoles?
Destruction All Stars , Control UE, Ni Oh Complete Edition are out this month and Sony dont say any word of options for the storage. I know that in Xbox is expensive but at least have it.
Even no word about how they plan compete the gamepass.
P.D: Jim Ryan is the new Don Mattrick.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
super-cool-story-bro.png

Methos#1975

Forget the phebs, storage is a huge issue on both next gen consoles due to the size of games. While the XSX is slightly better off due to the storage card expansion it's still not the best alternative and the PS5 doesn't even have that so 5-6 games and poof,your full. It's pretty amazingly short sighted that both due the size of games this gen and are heavily pushing digital, yet made absolutely no viable storage options.

FritzJ92

Forget the phebs, storage is a huge issue on both next gen consoles due to the size of games. While the XSX is slightly better off due to the storage card expansion it's still not the best alternative and the PS5 doesn't even have that so 5-6 games and poof,your full. It's pretty amazingly short sighted that both due the size of games this gen and are heavily pushing digital, yet made absolutely no viable storage options.
Why are you grouping Xbox into this? They have provided expansion to have up tot 2Tb or 1.5 depending on if you have a S or X, external drive support to play all BC games from there or to store your XSX games. I’m not sure what else they need to do except offer bigger than 1TB expansion sized.
This is a purely a PS5 issue to deal with.

The last system update was Dec 9th, so we are entering week 7 since the last one dropped. I believe this is because the next update will introduce a new feature instead of just being stability improvements.

If true, enabling the internal expansion bay would be my top pick.

Probably waiting for a decent price range before announcing compatibility.

Also, 2 months ain't shit.

There are a few drives available already that surpass the PS5's minimum speed requirement (at least on paper), and the $230 price tag for a 1TB variant of these drives isn't going to drop dramatically anytime soon. These are literally the fastest drives on the market.

If internal expansion isn't part of the next system update I don't think it is because of price of compatible drives, but rather they are just doing extensive testing to make sure the internal expansion drive is totally compatible with everything OS level and isn't causing more crashes or other issues whatsoever.

Last edited:
Hold your horses OP the updates will arrive soon. This isn't the end of the world situation, if you have a PS5 take good care of it and enjoy your time with it. Spend more time playing the games on the new console than cribbing about things for the sake of cribbing!

SkylineRKR

Its too expensive anyway. So far I have 3 games installed, Dirt, DMC, Demon's Souls. I will download Control and Destruction Allstars as well. PS4 games at least will default to my T7 drive which is a nice feature.

ElCasual

Its too expensive anyway. So far I have 3 games installed, Dirt, DMC, Demon's Souls. I will download Control and Destruction Allstars as well. PS4 games at least will default to my T7 drive which is a nice feature.
I have DS, Sackboy and DMC, next week Control UE and Destruction All Star. And I want Nioh and Returnal. Hope for a solution in the next month.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Moral of the thread: Because PS5 hasn't released the storage option, PlayStation is doomed, and Sony will be shutting down next Wednesday 😂

Dude, it's not an ideal storage situation, but it will come. Jim told that 2020's focus was on PS5. We will hear more about services this year.

Last edited:

Methos#1975

Why are you grouping Xbox into this? They have provided expansion to have up tot 2Tb or 1.5 depending on if you have a S or X, external drive support to play all BC games from there or to store your XSX games. I’m not sure what else they need to do except offer bigger than 1TB expansion sized.
This is a purely a PS5 issue to deal with.
It's still a issue for both, just slightly less of one on the XSX. I already filled up both my internal SDD and the storage expansion I bought, buying more and more expansion cards and switching them out isn't really a solution either. MS needs either bigger storage devices or a device that allows multiple expansion cards to be used at once

Does the PS5 let you install ps4 games on an external usb drive? Or are external drives not working at all atm. I can't remember if it does. I know people are waiting for the SSDs.

I've a ton of games on my xbox from Gamepass, a mix optimised and previous gen games (with series x games being on the internal). I've got over a hundred games installed. I'm happy that I can transfer newer games to the external if it's not being played.

Last edited:

djjinx2

I agree this is an issue, both my kids having storage issues already. Only FIFA and 2 Call of Duties installed one the one!

djjinx2

The 4K texture are the reasons
And the devs don't have time to slim that huge amount of data

I thought there was better compression now?
Maybe that's part of it, but the low storage to begin with is inexcusable without other storage options.

Sony won't care though at the minute as demand is so high anyway

SkylineRKR

Does the PS5 let you install ps4 games on an external usb drive? Or are external drives not working at all atm. I can't remember if it does. I know people are waiting for the SSDs.

I've a ton of games on my xbox from Gamepass, a mix optimised and previous gen games (with series x games being on the internal). I've got over a hundred games installed. I'm happy that I can transfer newer games to the external if it's not being played.

PS5 lets you install and play PS4 games from any external USB drive.

I first tried a 5200rpm sata, and this worked but it was kinda slow. Ive hooked a T7 up since and its just as fast as internal in regards to PS4 games, Tony Hawk for example loads up stages in 5-6 seconds which is same as internal and twice as fast as PS4.

I would hope going forward dev would be able to keep file sizes down ( well except for cod lol), looking at Hitman 3 all content for the 3 games at only 60 ish gb. 1 tbb additional expansion should be enough for me for the gen.

Cyborg

I thought I would have trouble with the free space but considering the speed of installs Im fine with it. :) Got 5 games on it and a lot of space left. Whem Im done I will just delete them

Is the second month of 2021, the third of PS5 launch and where is the options for the storage in PS5 consoles?
Destruction All Stars , Control UE, Ni Oh Complete Edition are out this month and Sony dont say any word of options for the storage. I know that in Xbox is expensive but at least have it.
Even no word about how they plan compete the gamepass.
P.D: Jim Ryan is the new Don Mattrick.
drive off 50 cent GIF

D.Final

Banned
I thought there was better compression now?
Maybe that's part of it, but the low storage to begin with is inexcusable without other storage options.

Sony won't care though at the minute as demand is so high anyway
Maybe

But more the time passed, and more the graphics became more oppressive with the storages data

Xyphie

I don't get why they don't have a first-party M.2 solution out at least. Just stick 6 NAND chips, a DRAM chip and your controller on a 110mm module and sell it for $200 for the 768GB model and $400 for the 1536GB. Free money.

Topher

Gold Member
I have a 2tb external nvme that holds my PS4 library (it loads as fast as internal does on legacy games). My internal is dedicated to just PS5 games.

I bought a cheap Crucial 1TB SATA SSD for PS4 games to free up the internal for PS5. I don't see myself having any storage issues for a while.

Hostile_18

Banned
I don't blame Sony for prioritising price. More people would complain about a higher price than lesser memory. Would of been nice to have a standard 1tb though.

Topher

Gold Member
Last edited:
Top Bottom