• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Second month of 2021 and where is the options for PS5 storage?

Topher

Gold Member
Comparing not bring able to change the SSD to what Don Matrick did to the Xbox brand is one of the dumbest things I've read on this forum. Congratulations.

I can't say I'm a fan of Jim Ryan but that's just an absurd comparison. Mark Cerny made it clear storage expansion wouldn't be available until after launch. The simple fact of the matter is that when it comes to SSD, PS5 is outpacing the rest of the industry from a consumer perspective.

It's still a issue for both, just slightly less of one on the XSX. I already filled up both my internal SDD and the storage expansion I bought, buying more and more expansion cards and switching them out isn't really a solution either. MS needs either bigger storage devices or a device that allows multiple expansion cards to be used at once
You can offload X|S titles to an external hard drive and move them back when ready to play. You cannot do this for PS5 games. It is interesting no one seems to care about this on PS5 when I saw many complaints about the XSS storage when it CAN offload its games.

I can't say I'm a fan of Jim Ryan but that's just an absurd comparison. Mark Cerny made it clear storage expansion wouldn't be available until after launch. The simple fact of the matter is that when it comes to SSD, PS5 is outpacing the rest of the industry from a consumer perspective.
In what regard?

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
You can offload X|S titles to an external hard drive and move them back when ready to play. You cannot do this for PS5 games. It is interesting no one seems to care about this on PS5 when I saw many complaints about the XSS storage but it CAN offload its games.

It’s also really fast to move games back and forth on the Xbox. If you accidentally install a PS4 game to the PS5 internal it takes forever to transfer it over to an external.

Topher

Gold Member
In what regard?

Consumer level devices with SSDs capable of the speeds PS5 can achieve. Comparable solutions like Nvidia's RTX IO was only just unveiled but it won't see any actual application for some time.

Last edited:

Flutta

Banned
Comparing not bring able to change the SSD to what Don Matrick did to the Xbox brand is one of the dumbest things I've read on this forum. Congratulations.
I dont get the Don hate. At least Don Mattrick brought the games what have Phil done for 8 years as head of Xbox? CD3 and Recore thats his legacy so far 😂

Aenima

Did everyone forget how long it took Sony to implement external hard drives on PS4? This ain't getting solved soon.
This time is not dependent only on how fast Sony is to implement. They have to wait for more 3rd party SSD to be compatible with PS5. Which will also benefit consumers as more brands release more SSD the faster the prices will drop.

Right now they should focus on putting consoles out there and fixing some of the OS issues before implementing something that is not an issue at the moment to the vast majority of the PS5 owners.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
It's still a issue for both, just slightly less of one on the XSX. I already filled up both my internal SDD and the storage expansion I bought, buying more and more expansion cards and switching them out isn't really a solution either. MS needs either bigger storage devices or a device that allows multiple expansion cards to be used at once
You can plug in a regular expansion HD and put the non-XSX games on there. They still will look and run better. Even the XSX optimized games don't NEED to be on the internal. Those are all BC. Only the XSX required games NEED it like The Medium and Ori at 120hz.

Last edited:

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
I have like 50% full and lots of games, I suspect most people are not going to have a problem unless they are using it for PS4 game storage which is easy to remedy.

Moogle11

Banned
It definitely needs to happen as some people need it and it's easy to see how space can get tight if people play a handful of MP games like CoD, Borderlands 3 etc. that have huge file seizes. It also doesn't help as the PS5 file system seems to lead to bloat and things like Cyberpunk being 102gb on there vs. 60 on XSX (and I think 70 something on PC last I looked), the bloat in "Other" when you have PS4 games on the SSD etc.

For me it's pretty moot. It's looking like I'm going to main XSX this generation so my PS5 will never need to have a ton of games installed at once as I'll mostly use it for exclusives and those games I mostly play once and delete (and sell if I bought physical). Even on my XSX with Gamepass I don't need a ton installed at once. Just the few games I'm playing and maybe a handful I plan to get to next. I've got unlimited internet now (finally and had to pay up for it) so I can just download things as needed.

But still, storage space is needed with the increasing focus on digital games (and needing to fully install disc games anyway) and options should be there for those who need it.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
It definitely needs to happen as some people need it and it's easy to see how space can get tight if people play a handful of MP games like CoD, Borderlands 3 etc. that have huge file seizes. It also doesn't help as the PS5 file system seems to lead to bloat and things like Cyberpunk being 102gb on there vs. 60 on XSX (and I think 70 something on PC last I looked), the bloat in "Other" when you have PS4 games on the SSD etc.

For me it's pretty moot. It's looking like I'm going to main XSX this generation so my PS5 will never need to have a ton of games installed at once as I'll mostly use it for exclusives and those games I mostly play once and delete (and sell if I bought physical). Even on my XSX with Gamepass I don't need a ton installed at once. Just the few games I'm playing and maybe a handful I plan to get to next. I've got unlimited internet now (finally and had to pay up for it) so I can just download things as needed.

But still, storage space is needed with the increasing focus on digital games (and needing to fully install disc games anyway) and options should be there for those who need it.
PS5 games are not bloated, in fact they are smaller than last gen games. Cyberpunk is a Ps4 title, there is no PS5 version.

Redlancet

Banned
Is the second month of 2021, the third of PS5 launch and where is the options for the storage in PS5 consoles?
Destruction All Stars , Control UE, Ni Oh Complete Edition are out this month and Sony dont say any word of options for the storage. I know that in Xbox is expensive but at least have it.
Even no word about how they plan compete the gamepass.
P.D: Jim Ryan is the new Don Mattrick.
the storage plans are in the same drawer where the xbox exclusive games are stored

KungFucius

King Snowflake
What do you people expect? It's a fucking console that they cannot build fast enough to meet demand. Why would they waste SSD components on addons unless they are swimming in them?

JimboJones

The temporary solution to this is allow for external back up storage for ps5 games, kind of strange they didn't provide that option.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Saving my ps5 ssd space for 1st party stuff, can’t imagine how people are handling it as there only console. I just get most stuff on Xbox with the ample storage space available.

Shame it was rushed to market missing so many features.

D.Final

Banned
Saving my ps5 ssd space for 1st party stuff, can’t imagine how people are handling it as there only console. I just get most stuff on Xbox with the ample storage space available.

Shame it was rushed to market missing so many features.
I'm just waiting some years

FritzJ92

No it’s a PS5 issue. Data management has been shot on there. Even games incorrectly download at times the PS4 instead of PS5 version. If you are running outbid space. Go get a big ass 8Tb external HD and move data to it. Series X has a complete data management system fully working.
Let PS5 issues be PS5 issues.
Series X has its own issues to deal with and data management isn’t one of them.

Top Bottom