• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sea of Thieves is the Most Preordered game on Playstation

GHound

Well that lasted just long enough for everyone to start making themselves look retarded now didn't it?
qEt34Pg.jpeg

DJ12

Some people are really triggered over a six-year-old Xbox game out-pre-ordering Stellar Fap.
Maybe all the people that ditched xbox are eager to back into it.

Still, it's pretty clear people are preordering for early access. But you keep clutching at those straws.

Mortisfacio

Banned
If you have someone to play with, this game is incredibly fun, so it makes sense. I enjoy it solo as well, but it's significantly less enjoyable solo.

FMX

Some of you guys need to get a life. It's just a video game on a rival platform. Why is there so much venom in these posts? These companies are out to make as much money as they can. If Spiderman 2 or Ratchet and Clank were on Xbox maybe Insomniac wouldn't have had to layoff staff. The sad thing about this fanboy console warring stuff is that you guys are grown ass men!! The industry has changed.

Last edited:

King Dazzar

It does. You can play the tall tales and the safer seas mode solo.
Sure, but my understanding was/is that its not a fully fledged single player experience. And controlling your ship solo isnt easy. At least that's how I found it when I last tried it a couple of years ago...

FrankWza

Some of you guys need to get a life. It's just a video game on a rival platform. Why is there so much venom in these posts? These companies are out to make as much money as they can. If Spiderman 2 or Ratchet and Clank were on Xbox maybe Insomniac wouldn't have had to layoff staff. This said thing about this fanboy console warring stuff is that you guys are grown ass men!! The industry has changed.
Where's the Nintendo ports?

Katatonic

Some of you guys need to get a life. It's just a video game on a rival platform. Why is there so much venom in these posts? These companies are out to make as much money as they can. If Spiderman 2 or Ratchet and Clank were on Xbox maybe Insomniac wouldn't have had to layoff staff. This said thing about this fanboy console warring stuff is that you guys are grown ass men!! The industry has changed.
Xbox players don't buy games (at least not on Xbox).

Humdinger

Gold Member
I thought GAF was bad but then you see people posting tweets and YT videos and you realize there is an entire world of warring out there much deeper and sadder than anything here. Yes it’s taken way too seriously.

I just finished reading The Things They Carried, by Tim O'Brien. It is about Vietnam. I finished All Quiet on the Western Front earlier, which is about WWI. After that, hearing gamers talk about the "spoils of war" sounds utterly ridiculous to me. It reminds me of myself as a kid, playing with my plastic army men.

Bumblebeetuna

Gold Member
Doesn't MLB come to GP day one?

Ashton Kutcher Burn GIF

That’s the digital deluxe version which comes with extra packs and stubs for your gambling pleasure and four days early access. I wonder if Sony will have a GamePass upgrade option similar to what we saw with Horizon and Starfield so GamePass users can play early?

Edit, they do have it:
SdOB7gF.jpg

Pay $40 on GamePass and get early access and all kinds of MTX/gambling junk.

Last edited:

BizarroPete

Sure, but my understanding was/is that its not a fully fledged single player experience. And controlling your ship solo isnt easy. At least that's how I found it when I last tried it a couple of years ago...
If you mean a story like you'd get in a standard single player game, then the Secret of Monkey Island Tall tale has that but yeah the rest of the game isn't really about that (from what little I've played).

Sailing a two-man sloop isn't bad unless you get attacked because trying to maneuver your ship and fight back is hopeless. You're better off trying to run away.

Xbox users buy plenty of games, otherwise publishers would stop releasing games on the platform.

I think at least some of those publishers are only bothering with their games on Xbox because Microsoft is footing the bill for porting costs and the such. SEGA & Atlus are two prime examples. Some of the Square-Enix ports as well.

Basically, a decent number of Japanese ports are working this way.

Not sure if it's in best selling order, but UK has it 1st, 3rd and 7th.

IMO the game's going to do better than some want to think. It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but it is kind of unique among GAAS titles on the market so it stands out in that respect.
I can see probably doing 2-3 million in the first month or two. Also don't think lifetime of 10 million is out of the question but that would be several years from release. The game'll probably also get a Switch 2 port which will help a lot in getting more sales (though will be somewhat hamstrung by Switch 2 needing to grow its install base releasing 4+ years after PS5).

If anything, the Xbox diehards who want MS to double-down on the console should want this and the other ports to fail, not brag when preorders and sales on other platforms are high. But they hilariously can't do that because it'd mean wishing badly for a Microsoft game. It's like the hidden 4th prime directive in Robocop.

Elios83

This will signal to Microsoft that they will be right in green lighting more and more PlayStation projects.

That's not coming to PS5. Sea of Thieves and Grounded are MP games (basically) and need players., HI-Fi Rush is a smaller game. The big AAA MS games won't come to PS5.
This will age like milk.
Microsoft wants to be successfull like a publisher, they see their future as a leading multiplatform publisher, it's abundantly clear they don't care about wasting all the investements they have done to try to keep alive an almost tost console brand for the sake of keeping happy a few online warriors that look more and more like those Japanese holdouts in ww2.

Bumblebeetuna

Gold Member
I think at least some of those publishers are only bothering with their games on Xbox because Microsoft is footing the bill for porting costs and the such. SEGA & Atlus are two prime examples. Some of the Square-Enix ports as well.

Basically, a decent number of Japanese ports are working this way.

That’s a cool unsubstantiated opinion. Did you read it on Icon-Era 😆

Even if you are right, you’re talking about some small potato publishers and/or games compared to what sells.

King Dazzar

If you mean a story like you'd get in a standard single player game, then the Secret of Monkey Island Tall tale has that but yeah the rest of the game isn't really about that (from what little I've played).

Sailing a two-man sloop isn't bad unless you get attacked because trying to maneuver your ship and fight back is hopeless. You're better off trying to run away.
Yeah its the ship controlling aspect on your own which killed it for me from a single player side. Its a shame as the concept is great. But clearly made for multiplayer.

TrueGrime

Game is fun. Wasn't my cup to tea to hold me long term, but Xbox now has enough studios to be three publishers combined. Putting these multiplayer games on other platforms is a very smart move. Either way, the game sees a bigger population and Microsoft gets extra money beyond sub money.

Top Bottom