• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scott Pilgrim | Official Teaser | Coming on November 17 on Netflix

Ulysses 31

Anime?
200w.gif

Thought it had to be made by Asian animators and written by Japanse for that.

Kabelly

wow. that's as faithful as it can be. looks cute.

edit: they got the same cast ? michael cera was always miscast imo so that's a shame they didn't get new voice actors as well.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

Most, if not all of the production is likely being handled by this literal anime studio, so I have no idea what you're talking about.
So G.I. Joe, Inspector Gadget and DuckTales from the 80s/90s are anime then?

They're not.

Maybe the term has changed in the last 15 years but I was always the impression that the animation and other sides of the production had to originate from Japan for it be correctly called anime.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
damn looks great. They got the entire cast back which is a miracle with how a few of the casts careers have skyrocketed. Absolutely in for this.

Ulysses 31

Maybe they are more than meets the eye. Anime in disguise!
80s Transformers was anime all along too?!

Anyway, I'm curious to hear what Scott Pilgrim comic readers will think of the show and how faithfull it is to the source material. :messenger_winking_tongue:

The comic seemed popular at some point.

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
So G.I. Joe, Inspector Gadget and DuckTales from the 80s/90s are anime then?

They're not.

Maybe the term has changed in the last 15 years but I was always the impression that the animation and other sides of the production had to originate from Japan for it be correctly called anime.
Those cartoons you mentioned probably had some of their cuts outsourced to a Japanese or Korean studio, but outsourcing some of the animation is a common practice within the industry, even Japanese studios do it.

Ulysses 31

Those cartoons you mentioned probably had some of their cuts outsourced to a Japanese or Korean studio, but outsourcing some of the animation is a common practice within the industry, even Japanese studios do it.
While probably true, what mainly made them not anime in my eyes is that the ideas for these shows didn't originate from Japan and the writing and directing was mainly done by Americans. I think it's the same case for this Scott Pilgrim show.

But whether it's true anime or not is secondairy to the show just being entertaining enough to watch. :messenger_winking_tongue:

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

This feels like a dozen years too late but good for the fans.
Coming up with original new stuff is hard though. This is Netflix we're talking about and we've seen some of the quality of their original ideas. :messenger_winking_tongue:

Maybe this reach back into the past by people that respect it is a more solid foundation by Netflix standards.

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
While probably true, what mainly made them not anime in my eyes is that the ideas for these shows didn't originate from Japan and the writing and directing was done by Americans. I think it's the same case for this Scott Pilgrim show.
Considering that anime is a regional moniker for Japanese animation, and writing a separate role, I don't consider it fair to disqualify something because the director or writer of the production isn't ethnically Japanese. Some of which have lived in Japan and speak fluent Japanese as well as any native.
This would also eliminate several Animatrix shorts, Tekkonkinkrit, Castlevania, and mostly recently One Piece, just to name a few. I don't think you'd argue those aren't considered anime.

But whether it's true anime or not is secondairy to the show just being entertaining enough to watch. :messenger_winking_tongue:
Here here :messenger_beermugs:

I loved the Scott Pilgrim comics in my adolescent years, so I'll be giving this a watch.

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
This feels like a dozen years too late but good for the fans.
I'm reminded of the short that came out more than a decade ago at the height of the series' popularity.
They nailed the art style, so it's a shame a mini-series didn't follow.

I once heard the creator described as the Canadian Chris Chan. Hipster discourse began to flood the planet around the time of the movie. I thought we were done with Scott Pilgrim after that one song was made about how this ruined a generation.

To be fair I know nothing about this comic.

Doom85

I once heard the creator described as the Canadian Chris Chan. Hipster discourse began to flood the planet around the time of the movie. I thought we were done with Scott Pilgrim after that one song was made about how this ruined a generation.

To be fair I know nothing about this comic.

Glad it’s coming back just to trigger anyone (not necessarily referring to you) who thinks a movie that didn’t even have that much of a presence at the box office “ruined a generation”.

Conan Obrien Ugh GIF by Team Coco

bitbydeath

I look forward to when AI can de-age people at little to no cost so we could have the original actors continue working while looking the same as they did 20+ years ago.

YCoCg

FUCK NETFLIX, FUCK EDGAR WRIGHT, FUCK O'MALLEY, heavy spoilers so beware but for a non-spoiler version, they gave it the "Put a chick in it and make her lame" treatment

They played us like a damn fiddle, Scott gets killed off in the first episode and then Ramona becomes the main character and it follows her journey reconnecting with her exes so she can grow as a person

Last edited:

BossLackey

Gold Member
FUCK NETFLIX, FUCK EDGAR WRIGHT, FUCK O'MALLEY, heavy spoilers so beware but for a non-spoiler version, they gave it the "Put a chick in it and make her lame" treatment

They played us like a damn fiddle, Scott gets killed off in the first episode and then Ramona becomes the main character and it follows her journey reconnecting with her exes so she can grow as a person

...oh for fucksake

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

Wowzers.

YCoCg

I don't believe it!
It's such a cruel trick too, they really did a MGS2 on us...

The first episode is basically a 1:1 adaptation of the comic which is brilliant, until the first fight where it pivots and Scot loses and gets killed, the show then shifts to Ramona's perspective for the rest of it and Scott is barely in it

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Ha Ha Smile GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Majormaxxx

For Scott's sake! Brian Lee O'Maley is such a pansy. At least we will always have the books, game and the movie.

The Neil Druckmann / Rian Johnson school of subversion of expectations wins again.

Last edited:

How was the story post-spoiler moment?

It sounds like a what-if tale, so I'm hoping at least some fun stuff happens.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
How was the story post-spoiler moment?

It sounds like a what-if tale, so I'm hoping at least some fun stuff happens.

Hearing the story is pretty much that Scott from the future kidnaps Scott so he never gets with Ramona. Not sure if this is an anti-marriage thing or whatever, but apparently future Scott comes off as an asshole, so I guess it's commentary on the old story. Lots of modern takes on the story criticize the Scott character as being a shitty person. I love that they Panderversed this shit so close to the South Park movie.

Last edited:
Top Bottom