• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix's One Piece First Trailer Revealed | Coming in August 31

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I don't know a thing about One Piece but that looks horrid

Same. Looks like absolute trash. I'd say that maybe it's because I'm not a fan, but it seems the fans also think it looks like shite.

This is dead after one season.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
I liked the trailer, notably Zoro. But some moments fail to be the real one piece. I hope that they will not change to much.

Kamina

Golden Boy
disgusted not safe for work GIF

UnNamed

Banned
Actors look similar at least.

The problem is everything seems low budget. Without the Netflix logo, people would think this is a fan made project.

belmarduk

Have any of these live action remakes ever been good? Erased was ok but not nearly as good as the anime.

How much money did they lose on Cowboy Bebop? This is so unnecessary.

Fbh

Have any of these live action remakes ever been good? Erased was ok but not nearly as good as the anime.

How much money did they lose on Cowboy Bebop? This is so unnecessary.

The Kenshin movies were decent and the Battle Angel Alita one was half decent.
Most of the rest is terrible.

They insist on adapting the very popular stuff that just doesn't work in live action instead of something like Monster which could actually work

Monkfish877

Looks better than the teaser at least. I just hope Oda doesn't have a mental breakdown if this isn't successful. I've always thought most anime especially shounen was next to impossible to translate into live action, this isn't really changing my mind.

Raonak

Banned
The attention to detail on the new trailer is crazy good. It's actually impressive how close they're replicated the manga. It's not a reinterpretation, they've got all the major plot beats with minor changes that actually make sense.

I looks goofy as fuck. But the manga/anime are already goofy. Crazy characters crazy places crazy powers. It weirdly fits because it's not aiming for realism.

Wildebeest

Seems surprising how much they are doing for real and not leaning as super heavily on CGI as Marvel. I don't know how they are going to manage Chopper if they do a second season.

RaduN

My God, it looks way worse than i could have possibly imagined.
I think it makes that Avatar flick from Shymalan look good.

I pray Netflix never gets the rights to the likes of Berserk or MGS. Every night i pray.

Monkfish877

My God, it looks way worse than i could have possibly imagined.
I think it makes that Avatar flick from Shymalan look good.

I pray Netflix never gets the rights to the likes of Berserk or MGS. Every night i pray.
Ironically, Berserk is one of the few anime/manga that would translate perfectly to live action I think, if done well. I always thought Henry Cavill would of made a great Guts.

Elysion

Banned
One Piece might be the worst possible anime to try to do a 1-to-1 live action adaptation. The costumes, the overall aesthetic, the bizarre character designs, the weird powers… none of it translates well into live action. At all. This looks all over the place, and I can’t even tell what time period this is supposed to take place in. Is it like the age of piracy in our world (18th century)? Is it more steampunk (19th century)? Or is it modern? The trailer makes it look like it’s a bit of everything, but that just doesn’t work in live action. This is one of those cases where I wish they’d taken some creative liberties tbh.

Yoboman

One Piece might be the worst possible anime to try to do a 1-to-1 live action adaptation. The costumes, the overall aesthetic, the bizarre character designs, the weird powers… none of it translates well into live action. At all. This looks all over the place, and I can’t even tell what time period this is supposed to take place in. Is it like the age of piracy in our world (18th century)? Is it more steampunk (19th century)? Or is it modern? The trailer makes it look like it’s a bit of everything, but that just doesn’t work in live action. This is one of those cases where I wish they’d taken some creative liberties tbh.
It's One Piece, it is its own world. It has zero relationship to our time periods. Every island is in various states of development with somewhat limited travel and communication. The default aesthetic would be some modern elements living a 1800s life style. But you also have islands of samurai, giants, futuristic islands, islands like Alice in wonderland, islands in the cloud etc.

Just bumping this shit up to see if we are eating good or will be the same trash anime adaptation 101. I'm quite confident we might fair well enough compared to the rest as Oda himself says he had the final say over things.

Tams

It looks cheap and cheesy. The costumes really do look like cosplay and the acting...

So it's another of those shows that will only be able to save itself if does the cheese well. Cowboy Bebop absolutely did not.

Top Bottom