• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix's One Piece First Trailer Revealed | Coming in August 31

Urban

Jake Gyllenhaal No GIF

Naa this aint it

Batiman

Banned
Most anime doesn’t translate well to live action. This does not look good at all. The budget to actually do this show justice would have to be record breaking.

Last edited:

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Some of it looks like One Piece... the rest, doesn't. They look too clean, as well. I dunno... This doesn't translate well into live action.

Durien

I am going to give it a chance. It may prove to be entertaining and I know what I am getting into. I wonder how far they are going to get into the story in one season..

TransTrender

Gold Member
Still cringe but I'm more positive about this than Cowboy Bebop.
The problem is how does some of this stuff translate to live action when this show leans in to practical effects and low budget CG.

Fbh

Most anime doesn’t translate well to live action. This does not look good at all. The budget to actually do this show justice would have to be record breaking.

I honestly don't think it's a budget issue.
As you said, most anime doesn't translate well to live action. One Piece in particular is very cartoony and over the top in its characters, action and designs. The only way to adapt it into something that isn't pure cringe would be to alter and transform it in such an extensive way that it's basically no longer One Piece

I’ll wait to watch it before making a judgment. I will say that other parts of the internet, including YouTube comments(strangely enough), are way less negative than this first page of the GAF thread. I think either they realize how goofy One Piece can be as a whole and are okay with this level of silliness, or they’re just excited to see One Piece get some recognition in live action form.

Either way this all hinges on the writing, and that’s unfortunately always the biggest coin flip when it comes to Netflix’s inconsistent quality.

Last edited:

Urban

I am going to give it a chance. It may prove to be entertaining and I know what I am getting into. I wonder how far they are going to get into the story in one season..
Entering the grand line and maybe as a cliffhanger meeting Laboon ?
They posted that barrel scene where everyone makes his promise.

ahtlas7

Poor, Monkey D. That actor has a lot of difficult weight on his young acting shoulders. Translating the extremely complex goofy, innocent, brave, determined, (sometimes) over-the-top, emotional, naive, etc. animated/drawn Luffy into a convincing accurate live action character must be near impossible while being a requirement because all of One Piece revolves around this singular character. Maybe a young Jim Carrey could have pulled it off eg. The Mask, but you need the production crew too. Sadly, this trailer is anything but convincing.

Yoboman

I’ll wait to watch it before making a judgment. I will say that other parts of the internet, including YouTube comments(strangely enough), are way less negative than this first page of the GAF thread. I think either they realize how goofy One Piece can be as a whole and are okay with this level of silliness, or they’re just excited to see One Piece get some recognition in live action form.

Either way this all hinges on the writing, and that’s unfortunately always the biggest coin flip when it comes to Netflix’s inconsistent quality.
Because One Piece fans know One Piece is silly and know what they are looking for here. Casting, crew dynamics, setting, humour, most of the VFX look good

My only reservation is Luffy and whether he has the chops to pull off the serious moments

Fbh

I'm pretty sure they are removing/hiding negative comments on Youtube.
If you go to some other social media, like say Instagram, the comments on the trailer are way more negative.

Either way at least it looks faithful, unlike something like Dragonball Evolution.
Among the fanbase you'll probably have people like me who think One Piece just doesn't work in live action, but there will also be plenty who are going to be happy about getting a faithful adaptation.
Making a one Piece adaptation that pleases everyone is impossible. You either make something that isn't pure cringe, but then people will complain it's not faithful, or you make it faithful and you get something like this.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Because One Piece fans know One Piece is silly and know what they are looking for here. Casting, crew dynamics, setting, humour, most of the VFX look good

My only reservation is Luffy and whether he has the chops to pull off the serious moments
Lol, what? No. Most of it looks like absolute trash. Humor seems wrong, acting is stilted and boring, crew dynamics is completely off. Very few One Piece fans think this looks good.

Drake

These live action adaptations of anime do not interest me at all. I'd be more prone to reading a novelization of One Piece before watching this.

This is bad.

This is really bad.

On the one hand they seem to be trying to stick to the source material. On the other hand, thier adaptation is dog shit.

Top Bottom