• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scorsese and DiCaprio reuniting for Killers of the Flower Moon

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/m...of-the-flower-moon-dante-ferretti-1202495680/

ROME — Martin Scorsese and Leonardo DiCaprio are developing a film adaptation of true-crime thriller “Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI” as the director’s next project after “The Irishman.”

Scorsese’s longtime production designer, Dante Ferretti, told Variety that Scorsese hoped to start shooting “Flower Moon” in the spring of next year. The project is based on the bestselling book by David Grann, a staff writer for the New Yorker and author of “The Lost City of Z.”

Rights to “Flower Moon” were snapped up by Imperative last year for a reported $5 million, and a script has reportedly been drafted by veteran Oscar-winning scribe Eric Roth (“Forrest Gump,” “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button”).

Ferretti, who has worked with Scorsese on nine movies from “The Age of Innocence” through “Silence,” said he was going to “go to Oklahoma” to do preliminary location scouting for “Flower Moon.” The story, set in the 1920s, focuses on a string of murders of members of the Osage nation in Oklahoma after oil was discovered beneath their land. The chilling series of slayings was one of the fledgling FBI’s first major homicide investigations.

Scorsese and DiCaprio have been eyeing the project for months, and are developing it together with Dan Friedkin and Bradley Thomas, co-founders of Imperative Entertainment.

John Atwood, Imperative’s chief financial officer, said in an e-mail that “we are currently conducting preliminary research on the film, but there are no formal attachments nor confirmed start date at this time.”

Ferretti said that “the whole 1920s world of the Indians who lived there needs to be reconstructed” for “Flower Moon,” adding that he expects to “start preparing this film in September, because Scorsese will shoot it immediately after finishing ‘The Irishman.’”

Hitman

Edmonton's milkshake attracts no boys.
Sounds like all the elements are in place for a kick-ass movie. Bravo. Hyped.

Goddamn how many projects is Scorsese working on? The Irishman, Devil in the White City and now this. Dude isn't wasting any time.

Scorsese just made his best movie since Goodfellas. So good still, even at his age. He, Miller and Lynch telling all the younglings to step their fucking games up.

Chumley

Banned
What happened to Devil in the White City? Wouldn't surprise me at all if that got cancelled but an official confirmation would be nice.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Yeah, it's a strong film. I would say he's been churning out good films for awhile now. Silence is just another good one.

This.

Scott can still shoot, but his personal projects have been trash. Spielberg has been largely uneventful.

While Scorsese is still putting out master class game and ambition. Silence is not the sort of film I'd expect from a man pushing 75 to make.

jett

D-Member
If my math is right three more movies and Leo ties DeNiro in Scorsese starring roles. Wonder if it ends up happening.

Oh wow, Silence was that good? I should check it out tonight.

Not sure about best since Goodfellas but it's pretty good. Definitely worth a watch. Scorsese has honestly been on point this entire century.

p2535748

I read this book a couple of months ago. It's pretty good, and the story behind it could certainly make a strong film. I'll be curious to see what angle they take on it, since it kind of has two major components, and while each is interesting, they're stronger together.

Budi

Wow, the love for Silence here feels good. It felt so overlooked by many. My personal favorite film from last year.

This.

Scott can still shoot, but his personal projects have been trash. Spielberg has been largely uneventful.

While Scorsese is still putting out master class game and ambition. Silence is not the sort of film I'd expect from a man pushing 75 to make.
Well Silence is Scorsese's best since The Aviator (2004). Munich was 2005, which while 12 years ago, followed a string of some of Spielberg's very cream of the crop in the 2000s.

I'd argue that The Aviator and Silence are Scorsese's only great films since 2000. Whilst Spielberg has A.I, Catch Me If You Can, Minority Report and Munich.

Hopefully Spielberg can give us a gem this decade.

kevin1025

Banned
For those asking about Devil in the White City, it sounds like they're just more interested in getting this one off the ground first. But the good thing about Scorsese is that he doesn't truly abandon a lot of projects, he gets to them. Just... eventually.

Sounds like The Irishman could potentially be early 2018 rather than a big fall release on Netflix if he wants it done before the spring. That would be real good, I need more Scorsese sooner!

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Well Silence is Scorsese's best since The Aviator (2004). Munich was 2005, which while 12 years ago, followed a string of some of Spielberg's very cream of the crop in the 2000s.

I'd argue that The Aviator and Silence are Scorsese's only great films since 2000. Whilst Spielberg has A.I, Catch Me If You Can, Minority Report and Munich.

Hopefully Spielberg can give us a gem this decade.

I know we see eye to eye with Munich, I still will put it against his best. But 2005 was definitely the last time I felt Spielberg was a sure thing and has fallen to either pretty bad or solid/enjoyable.

Scorsese only had 3 films in the 00's, I'd say Gangs is on par with Lincoln, great performances and some ambition, but it was missed placed. And I'm not a fan of Departed, but the 10's really rebounded with him. Hugo, followed by Wolf, then Silence. Aviator being a great of course for the 00's.

I'm really hoping he can rebound himself with something great, but I don't have much hope for ROP nor Jones 5.

Scorsese on the other hand, I'm excited as all hell for The Irishman. Netflix isn't going to fuck with his vision and after Silence, would be great to see one more ride with DeNiro.

Sounds like I fucked up by not watching Silence. I will remedy this soon.

Devil in the White City with Leo and Marty is a dream project of mine. I really hope they get it made after this movie.

In the meantime, The Irishman sounds great.

Dmax3901

The only reason I haven't watched Silence is cause of people on here saying it wasn't good lol. This thread is changing my mind... again.

Was hoping for Scorsese to work with other leads after Silence. Leo is good but there are so many other talented actors out there

Oscar Isaac in a film noir would be dope

Wait, I missed what happened to Devil in the White City???

Seriously! WTF!!! This is what I want. Can't wait to see a recreation of the White City even in CGI.

the-white-city-chicago-s-world-s-columbian-exposition-of-1893-book-of-postcards-74.jpg

I know we see eye to eye with Munich, I still will put it against his best. But 2005 was definitely the last time I felt Spielberg was a sure thing and has fallen to either pretty bad or solid/enjoyable.

Scorsese only had 3 films in the 00's, I'd say Gangs is on par with Lincoln, great performances and some ambition, but it was missed placed. And I'm not a fan of Departed, but the 10's really rebounded with him. Hugo, followed by Wolf, then Silence. Aviator being a great of course for the 00's.

I'm really hoping he can rebound himself with something great, but I don't have much hope for ROP nor Jones 5.

Scorsese on the other hand, I'm excited as all hell for The Irishman. Netflix isn't going to fuck with his vision and after Silence, would be great to see one more ride with DeNiro.
You're forgetting Spielberg's Pentagon Papers film - but more notably, his Kidnapping of Edgardo Mortara film which reunites him with Munich's Kushner.

Cool! Was wondering when Scorsese would do another film with Leo, shame it seems like Devil In The White City has appeared to have fallen apart.

You're forgetting Spielberg's Pentagon Papers film - but more notably, his Kidnapping of Edgardo Mortara film which reunites him with Munich's Kushner.

I'm definitely looking to Pentagon Papers & The Kidnapping of Edgardo Mortara. Unlike some people I'm actually a fan of Spielberg's "dramatic" period.

Budi

The only reason I haven't watched Silence is cause of people on here saying it wasn't good lol. This thread is changing my mind... again.
Those filthy bastards! I ranked it first in my movie of the year voting here. But yeah it seems that word to mouth wasn't good. Since I took my mom to an completely empty theater to see it =D To be fair though, I'm from a city with population of 30k. I was happy that they screened it at all.

Silence isn't a Scorsese movie with mainstream appeal, like Departed and Shutter Island are for example. So in that sense I'm not at all surprised if people have said here that it wasn't any good.

Scorsese just made his best movie since Goodfellas. So good still, even at his age. He, Miller and Lynch telling all the younglings to step their fucking games up.
I went into Silence not expecting to like it but I was utterly sucked up into the world, the story and the presentation of the movie. It was really, really good.

Would kill for a nice 4K/HDR copy of it.

Top Bottom